OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Skippy

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire series - (new lightweight metal) Milan Knight R & D monitoring ....

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight 175528q22o3gi0i0sba5fb

blackpool

blackpool
woooo impressive teaser!!! looks very promising!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nooooooo... I just bought the Gothic knight. And this is one is irresistible! Grrrr. Oh well. Can you ever have enough knights?

blackpool

blackpool
the milanese will make a perfect ooponent for your gothic, voila!

Skippy

The Gothic knight was an improvement over their previous one, and this looks like another step up.

Do you have the Gothic in hand, Gubernator?

I'm waiting on Machinegun-Figures to see how much he's going to be there.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:The Gothic knight was an improvement over their previous one, and this looks like another step up. Do you have the Gothic in hand, Gubernator?

Sounds about right. I am waiting on my boxed set to arrive. I had already bought the parted out head and a few items of armor, then convinced myself that I needed the whole thing anyway. I do that sometime -- patience is not on of my many virtues.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Sounds about right. I am waiting on my boxed set to arrive. I had already bought the parted out head and a few items of armor, then convinced myself that I needed the whole thing anyway. I do that sometime -- patience is not on of my many virtues.

I hadn't paid much attention to the COO knights because I didn't like their Templar types, or the early chunky looking knight.

Then PopToys revealed their Jeanne d'Arc and I went back and searched for images. That's when I noticed the Gothic Knight and thought he looked very detailed and more realistic than their previous releases.

Looks like they're putting effort into historical accuracy.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Looks like they're putting effort into historical accuracy.

Unless I am confusing them with another company, they used to be horribly inaccurate. But now they do seem to put more effort into historical accuracy, judging by these new knights.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Unless I am confusing them with another company, they used to be horribly inaccurate. But now they do seem to put more effort into historical accuracy, judging by these new knights.

I think you're absolutely right.

Their Templar types had knee high boots instead of mailed legs and feet:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight 8_97ba5580-d7df-4d9d-8474-e7c46073a976_large

The then they had the plated knight with huge shoulder armour:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight Hqdefault

Not sure how many they've done, but there's a fancy one called a Paladin of Charlemagne.

The turning point, I think, was the Gothic Knight you're getting:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight 203009mpiypg3okm7mhfgp__80604.1518434493

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight 161CO12_Armored-Steed_01

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah, yes. And the horse should work ok, except for calling it Norman.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Ah, yes. And the horse should work ok, except for calling it Norman.

I wonder if they were referring to the breed of horse?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Norman_horse#History

I'm not sure, but I'll give Coo the benefit of the doubt. Laughing

dadrab

dadrab
Well, shoot...

Just about the time I get three on my shelf, there's going to be a fourth.

I know the first ones were kind of hokey, but I like them all. The one shown up top here is no exception.

I have noticed that the more intricate the armor gets, the price goes up accordingly. If they keep this up, I'll stop buying on general principles as I outran my self-imposed price limit by a few bucks on the latest one.

Skippy

I read through the Gothic Knight' thread on OSW.

Tony Barton was pointing out what he saw as inaccuracies, such as shoulders too big, skirt and tassets too small.

This page has many examples of fifteenth century Gothic and Gothic influenced armour, and there's a multitude of styles and designs, such as this armour dated to 1470:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight Schwbisch-Gmnd---Museum-im-Prediger-gallery_147_4565m-Christian-Wiedner

The caption reads: 1470 Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany,Museum im Prediger, from church in Heiligenkreuz, milanese armour with certain German stylistic elements

This has small tassets - the upper leg armour pieces attached to the fauld.

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight Armour_front_labeled

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice find, Asta. And vindicating!

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nice find, Asta. And vindicating!

Very Happy

The more you look into something, you realise how much more there is to learn.

It's not a subject I've studied in detail, but it's astounding how much armour has survived, and how diverse it is stylistically.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I would have loved these as a kid. Now, there's just too many other things out there to collect everything. I'll get Joan, and that will probably have to do for "armored historical figures" for me.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I would have loved these as a kid. Now, there's just too many other things out there to collect everything. I'll get Joan, and that will probably have to do for "armored historical figures" for me.

Almost every day there's some new 1/6 temptation.

My interests are all over the place, but I'm currently trying to prioritise the things that mean the most, or will have the most impact on display.

Skippy

A while back I jumped on a cheap CooModel Gothic Knight on Ebay, but was informed by the seller that the price had been listed wrongly so my buy-it-now was cancelled and refunded.  Sad

A week ago another seller listed him even cheaper, and it coincided with an Ebay 10-hour 10% off code. So I jumped on it again, fully expecting to be informed he was listed wrongly. However, the knight was in the post almost immediately, though the seller did raise the price afterwards on the two others they had listed.

It's a fantastic looking figure, and pretty accurate visually with examples of later 15th Century Gothic armour.

Though not without its frustrations.  Laughing

While this was undoubtedly a brand new, never been opened figure, out of the box the eyelet on the leather strap of the left pauldron was split open. Therefore it was useless in its function of securing the pauldron to the stud on the top of the breastplate.

And those two studs were annoying as well. I don't know if they were originally glued in the factory, but they were both loose, making it impossible to fasten the leather to them as they would sink down into the chain mail every time you pressed down on them. Gluing them in place to the under side of the breastplate was my first job.

Since I never intend to have this figure displayed other than fully armoured, I glued the leather pauldron straps to the studs and the top of the breastplate/rear armour. I couldn't think of any other secure method of overcoming the split leather strap.

The only other modification I had to make was with the head. With the stock sculpt I was having trouble getting the combination of salet, visor and bevor to sit correctly. Either the head was too big at the crown or his nose stuck out too far. So I resorted to one of the most useful and cheapest bunch of figures I've ever bought: Disney's Krennic!

The long neck on the Krennic head plugs directly into the the ball joint on the body without need of the extra connection you usually use with necked heads. And because the Krennic head is soft and hollow it's easy to slice up with a craft knife. I cut off his nose and removed part of the top of his head. Stuffing the head with cloth, and leaving the end of the cloth on the top of his head meant I could adjust the height the helmet sat at, and without a nose it was much easier to position the visor over the bevor. (Doing this also freed up the decent CooModel sculpt for some other project).

Lastly, I didn't trust the crotch grabber to support this heavy figure. The metal wire suffers the issue shared with Hot Toys': it's too loose within the upright rod to stay at the height you put it. I would only feel safe if he were secured at the waist, but waist grabbers are often ugly and I didn't fancy using a metal one. So Hot Toys' Doctor Strange to the rescue...

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight Bh6Lagm

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight JQqaoFj

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:It's a fantastic looking figure, and pretty accurate visually with examples of later 15th Century Gothic armour. Though not without its frustrations.  Laughing

Funny coincidence, I was just putting mine back into his box. I got it a while back, but never got around to showcasing it (I still might later, with a horse from a different line). I am sorry to hear about your issues with the figure (or rather your figure's issues), and appreciate you sharing your experience, which may well be very helpful for others who have or will end up getting one. In my case, I had none of these issues -- the leather straps are ok, the studs work, the helmet and neck piece fit, etc. To be honest, I have never been a fan of the use of cast metal (except maybe for the occasional blade or spear point), as it makes figures heavy and unbalanced -- and this figure is no exception, what with the metal helmet, shoulder armor, and breast- and back-plates (the armored footwear is so far down on the body that it probably helps rather than exacerbates the problem). But one thing is for sure -- he does look great.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Funny coincidence, I was just putting mine back into his box. I got it a while back, but never got around to showcasing it (I still might later, with a horse from a different line). I am sorry to hear about your issues with the figure (or rather your figure's issues), and appreciate you sharing your experience, which may well be very helpful for others who have or will end up getting one. In my case, I had none of these issues -- the leather straps are ok, the studs work, the helmet and neck piece fit, etc. To be honest, I have never been a fan of the use of cast metal (except maybe for the occasional blade or spear point), as it makes figures heavy and unbalanced -- and this figure is no exception, what with the metal helmet, shoulder armor, and breast- and back-plates (the armored footwear is so far down on the body that it probably helps rather than exacerbates the problem). But one thing is for sure -- he does look great.

The weight is really why I wanted to make sure he was going to be secure on the stand.

I wasn't expecting him to be straightforward or without some kind of problem, because of the complexity and the way the armour is constructed. For the price I ended up paying I was also willing to cut the figure some slack.

The torn leather strap stumped me at first, but I knew there had to be a workable solution. Using the Krennic sculpt saved having to hide a decent (usable) sculpt under the helmet, and that was something I was even considering before he arrived.

As you say, he does look great. This is my first sixth scale representing this period, and hope CooModel eventually releases the Milanese armour.

I've ordered all of PopToys' Jeanne d'Arc sets, and they'll end up displayed with the Gothic Knight, though she's probably around forty years earlier historically.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum