OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Action Figure Height (updated with Part II)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part I

Part II in Post 14 below.

The issue of precise or relative scale has come up from time to time. Although our focus is on sixth-scale figures, even when these reproduce their subject faithfully, they can vary in height, sometimes dramatically. In other cases, companies have been known to make figures a certain size (e.g., 12 inches), without much attention to the proper scale. Not that it would provide any kind of comprehensive answers, but I thought I would compare a number of figures to illustrate this variation -- they were selected for being unusually tall or short, with some others thrown in because they were readily available.

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Afh0110

The Ewok (or I should say this Ewok, Wicket), is the shortest, at about 15 cm (5.9 inches) to the top of the scalp (add 0.5 cm to the tip of the ears).

The HT Jawa is next, at about 20 cm (7.9 in) without the hood (add 1.5 cm to the tip of the hood).

The custom Gamora (on TBLeague's S25B body) is about 26.75 cm (10.5 in). Actress Zoe Saldana is actually 5 ft 7 in, which translates to 28.3 cm (11.16 in) in sixth scale. The custom body matches the HT female body from the original set in height, but both are too short.

The custom Endor Leia (on TBLeague's S25 body) is about 28 cm (11 in), with boots. Actress Carrie Fisher was actually 5 ft 1 in, which translates to 25.8 cm (10.16 in) in sixth scale (but without boots). The custom body matches the HT female body from the original set in height.

The random hoplite (on TBLeague's M33 body) is about 29.5 cm (11.6 in).

The Roman eques ("Dato") is about 30.5 cm (12 in), with boots but without the helmet, or 37 cm (14.5 in) with the helmet, crest, and plume.

Star-Lord is about 31 cm (12.2 in), with boots. Actor Chris Pratt is actually 6 ft 2 in, which translates to 31.3 cm (12.33 in) in sixth scale (but without boots). The figure is too short.

The custom Michael Jordan (on TBLeague's M36B body) is about 33.75 cm (13.3 in). The real Michael Jordan is actually 6 ft 6 in, which translates to 33.02 cm (13 in) in sixth scale. The figure is a little too tall.

Chewbacca is about 36 cm (14.2 in).

Groot, affectionately known as "Tree," is about 40 cm (15.7 in) to the highest tip on the head.

Thanos, the Mad Titan, is about 42.5 cm (16.7 in), with boots but without the helmet, or add 1 cm to the top of the helmet.

Hope this has been of some interest.

#comparison #height #bodies #statistics #hottoys #phicen #tbleague #haoyu

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice comparison, thanks for doing that. I thought you didn’t have the Leia/Wicket set? Or is “The Ewok” something other than HT?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice comparison, thanks for doing that. I thought you didn’t have the Leia/Wicket set? Or is “The Ewok” something other than HT?

Thank you and welcome. I don't have the set, although at this point I might as well have gotten it, since I picked up so many of the pieces. My main interest by far was the "Death Star Trooper" helmet. Then I saw why you got your extra Leia, and wanted to do the same. Then I picked up her outfit (or most of it). Then I picked up the Ewok... mostly so that Stormtroopers and Scouts can do mean things to that evil critter... Smile So it was all parted out, but it added up to most of the set in the end. In fact all of the HT stuff you see in the comparison except for Star-Lord (version 2), is (partly) reconstituted from parted-out parts -- and Groot is a knockoff.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Interesting subject. Scale is even more of a problem when other items in the shot aren't the same scale. For example, the brick background looks like it is closer to 1:12 scale.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Interesting subject. Scale is even more of a problem when other items in the shot aren't the same scale. For example, the brick background looks like it is closer to 1:12 scale.

The bricks are only slightly undersized for a smallish brick type for resolution and perspective.

csyeung

csyeung
This is a great subject and it can be frustrating when different companies have their own metrics for what their height and proportions are. It's even worse when the same company has different measurements ratios for the same line. The threezero mulder and scully from Xfiles comes to mind, but hot toys does this as well, especially the disparity in their female to males often. Also, iron man grows with each subsequent release!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
csyeung wrote:This is a great subject and it can be frustrating when different companies have their own metrics for what their height and proportions are. It's even worse when the same company has different measurements ratios for the same line. The threezero mulder and scully from Xfiles comes to mind, but hot toys does this as well, especially the disparity in their female to males often. Also, iron man grows with each subsequent release!

Thank you. I have noticed how Sideshow had, at least for a while, a 12-inch standard for figures (so its Scout Trooper is taller than a Hot Toys Stormtrooper, etc). And I remember when VTS goofed up by making its Furiosa substantially shorter and more petite than its Mad Max, although in fact the actors and characters were not that disparate on screen. Can you go into more detail about Threezero's Mulder and Scully? I picked up some of the parts, but not the entire sets or bodies.

csyeung

csyeung
oh for Mulder and scully, Mulder is fairly similar to most 1/6 scale figures and in truth I think by themselves they both look ok in terms of who they represent, but threezero chose to use a smaller female body. Perhaps of convenience of what's available. I would say it's similar to Daenerys body i think which is tiny. I think Gillian Anderson is shorter than David Duchovny in real life, but they also proportionately shrunk Scully's head to match the body so next to each other they look like they are from different lines. Here's a pic from the net.
tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) 0b7932af3c48b925f3758b302981f2940a7f2eba

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
csyeung wrote:oh for Mulder and scully, Mulder is fairly similar to most 1/6 scale figures and in truth I think by themselves they both look ok in terms of who they represent, but threezero chose to use a smaller female body. Perhaps of convenience of what's available. I would say it's similar to Daenerys body i think which is tiny. I think Gillian Anderson is shorter than David Duchovny in real life, but they also proportionately shrunk Scully's head to match the body so next to each other they look like they are from different lines. ...

Interesting. The actual height difference is not too far off, but the difference in head size is problematic. Here is a publicity shot of the two of them next to each other. Their heads are definitely similar in size, unlike what we see with the figures.

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) 751bc054f7000a5d2cc79d08192e01c5

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a cool line up, height differences between brands is something that I don't notice until the cuffs of the long sleeved uniform are on the elbow of the figure. 😁

That ewok looks like a high end plush, hows the articulation on that little pest?

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:That's a cool line up, height differences between brands is something that I don't notice until the cuffs of the long sleeved uniform are on the elbow of the figure. 😁

That ewok looks like a high end plush, hows the articulation on that little pest?

Thank you. That's quite a difference you describe. Smile Surely an exaggeration, but point taken.

The Ewok is slightly better than I expected. With some futzing you can get the hair to look more natural and improve the appearance. He is quite well articulated -- neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, thighs, knees, ankles. But because of the globular belly, there is no waist articulation, and the legs cannot really go up/forward at the thighs, making it pretty much impossible to sit properly. I took a few quick photos, below...

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Ewht0110

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Ewht0210

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Ewht0310

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Ewht0410

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Ewht0510

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Now that’s funny, and probably a LOT more realistic as to the outcome of the the fight between the Ewoks and trained professional soldiers.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Now that’s funny, and probably a LOT more realistic as to the outcome of the the fight between the Ewoks and trained professional soldiers.

Thank you, I thought so too! And sometimes a man just needs a beer. Not to mention, scouts should not allow minors to drink... Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II

I realized I forgot another smallish sixth-scale figure, so I put together another line-up:

tbleague - Action Figure Height (updated with Part II) Afh0210

Rocket Raccoon, affectionately known as Rabbit, is 15.75 cm (6.2 in) to the top of the scalp, or 16 cm (6.3 in) to the tips of the ears.

HT's ROTJ Stromtrooper is 29.75 cm (11.7 in), with boots and helmet.

Sideshow's Scout Trooper is 30.5 cm (12 in), with boots and helmet.

Woo Toys' "Fat Viking" Thor (on a World Box AT018 body) is 30.5 cm (12 in), with crocs, or 30 cm (11.8 in) without them. Actor Chris Hemsworth is 6 ft 3 in (190.5 cm), which translates to 31.75 cm (12.5 in) in sixth scale. The figure is too short.

The custom Imperial Naval Guard ("Death Star Trooper," on a TBLeague M31 body) is 32 cm (12.6 in) with boots and helmet. See HERE.

HT's Drax the Destroyer is 32.25 cm (12.7 in), with boots. Actor Dave Bautista is 6 ft 7 in (198.12 cm), which translates to 33.02 cm (13 in) in sixth scale. The figure is too short.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
This topic is fascinating to me and part of why I am so blasted particular with my custom projects. I want to be faithful as best I can, but they don't like making it easy!

For example, with my custom Kasumi figure from DOA the obvious problem is height. At a listed height of 5'2.25", she is a tiny individual. Makes "1/6th scale" a freakin hard thing to justify when the TBL figures are as tall as they are.

Which is why I took the time and figured out what scale she would end up being if done on a TBL body that was as faithful as possible to proportions. Funny enough, I lucked the heck out with the s07c/s09c bodies as they, when scaled properly, fit her almost exact (waist is off, and she is within about a 1/16th of an inch in height).

What she ended up being was 1:5 and 13/16ths scale. For use, that is multiplying everything that is 1:1 by .1720. That puts her at 274-278mm with head sculpt depending on where she is measured (scalps and hair styles are weird I have come to learn), which puts her at 5'2.7" on the low end, and 5'3.62" on the high end. Or within margin of error. That is with the s07c, which we talked about in the other thread.

An interesting side note to this is that when attempting to sculpt my own head for her (man that crashed and burned for the time being) I took notes through photoshop and character models for things like distance between the eyes, hight of the lips, depth of the nose and so on. The head sculpt she actually has? Fits that nearly to the letter, but in that 1:5 and 13/16th scale.

If she was in 1/6th then she'd hit 263.41mm (26.34cm) at the top of the head, a full cm shorter! In 1/5th she'd be 316.23mm (31.62cm), on par with the male bodies!

TL:DR I am very picky, but I can spend hours just sitting in front of a computer with photoshop and dozens of reference images open figuring things out with scale. It really just depends on how picky we want to be with certain characters I suppose, though if I ever find a Leia in 1/6th that is taller than a Chewbacca in 1/6th I will be both upset and laughing.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
https://flic.kr/p/2jDmiDv I am going to put this here in case anyone may be interested in have a neat, quick reference guide to fractions and their mm counterparts, either for general use, scaling custom accessories, or if they want to figure out where a figure is actually in the height department and points in-between.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
MeMyself&I wrote:https://flic.kr/p/2jDmiDv I am going to put this here in case anyone may be interested in have a neat, quick reference guide to fractions and their mm counterparts, either for general use, scaling custom accessories, or if they want to figure out where a figure is actually in the height department and points in-between.

Thanks. We US folks are lazy when it comes to metric.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Stryker2011 wrote:
MeMyself&I wrote:https://flic.kr/p/2jDmiDv I am going to put this here in case anyone may be interested in have a neat, quick reference guide to fractions and their mm counterparts, either for general use, scaling custom accessories, or if they want to figure out where a figure is actually in the height department and points in-between.

Thanks. We US folks are lazy when it comes to metric.

Ha. I was as well in school, but I got over it as I started getting into LEGO vehicles and MOCs. Now I hate the US/Imperial system. Lol

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Sorry to necro this thread, but has anyone the HT Appleseed Alpha Briareos Hecatonecles figure for size comparison? Is he as tall as the first time HT did him? I am just wondering about that for awhile now.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sorry, ZeroDelta, I don't have this figure and don't know either way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum