OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update: Extra photos in Post 12.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman011

Introduction

Following up on its release of Barbarian set A (Conan the Destroyer), Mr Toys has just released its Barbarian set B (He-Man). As has already been noted elsewhere, unlike its predecessor, this set is considerably less closely based on a specific film appearance. Thus, do not expect an exact representation of either the action-film He-Man (portrayed by Dolph Lundgren) or of the animated character. It is as if the two were lumped together to produce a generic but realistic figure and given the ARH treatment in terms of detail. The degree to which this is either welcome or disappointing depends on each individual's tastes and priorities. Since there is nothing specific to compare to in terms of accuracy, I am omitting the assignment of specific scores in the various categories discussed below. Note that the set does not include the figure body, but does recommend using TBLeague's seamless super-flexible M35 body (their bulkiest version).

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman012

Packaging

The set comes in a black shoe box-type container with colorful images of the fully assembled set on the top and bottom; on the bottom there is a front and back view of the kitted-out figure, with each piece included in the set labeled. Inside there are a foam trey and foam cover, all in stylish black. Everything is snug and collector-friendly. One disappointment is the absence of any sort of instruction sheet or instructive imagery.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman013

Sculpting

Generally, the sculpting is excellent throughout. The head sculpt is realistic, even if a little generic, and certainly not really spot on for Dolph Lundgren (if that was the target subject). The sculpted detail on the scabbard and greaves is particularly impressive, although it is less so on the belt buckle and, perhaps, vambraces (although here the apparent difference may be due to the choice of design style rather than the quality of execution). The skull-shaped shoulder-guard is very nicely executed, with plenty of sinewy details and pitting. In contrast, the sculpted detail on the harness and shield is less impressive, in part because they went for much cleaner lines that don't seem to match the other pieces very well.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman014

Paint

While the paint application is not poor or sloppy, it is less impressive than the sculpting; in some areas, it probably detracts from it. For example, fairly flat treatment of the the molded detail on the vambraces and the skirt. The relatively simple design of the harness and interlocking links elements does not help the paint, and there is little attempt at weathering on these pieces; the shield feels particularly cheap and unrealistic. On the other hand, some of the armored elements are quite nicely treated, in a way that makes them look realistic, worn, and possibly weathered -- for example, the greaves, belt buckle, scabbard, and skull-shaped shoulder-guard.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman015

Articulation

While the body does not actually come as part of the set, the nature of the fantasy hero outfit offers little impediment to articulation. Still, even divided as it is, the molded skirt is going to make sitting your figure a little challenging, except perhaps if you have him sitting on a backless stool.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman016

Accessories

The line between outfit and accessory can be a blurry one, but I count as accessories the sword, scabbard, and shield. I have had no issues with the sword (which is plastic and light) or shield, but the scabbard has been a bit tricky: there seems to be a way to get the sword to clip into it, but it is not secure; moreover, the method of attaching the scabbard onto the back of the harness with a little rubbery hook (which is part of the harness) is neither particularly easy nor particularly secure. But perhaps I'm overlooking something. That is not a whole lot in terms of accessories, but it is pretty representative of what the character wields; perhaps a double axe would have been a nice addition. There is no action figure stand.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman017

Outfit

The outfit consists of the molded skirt, harness, skull-shaped shoulder-guard, vambraces, greaves, pleather boots, cloth cape, and underwear. The molded skirt is divided into sections, allowing for some additional articulation of the upper legs (through the openings and as the sections can move out of the way more easily). If the skirt had to be molded, this was the way to do it. The harness is made up of several molded pieces; the cross-like chest element is of harder plastic, the interlocking links are of softer, rubbery plastic. Although it looks great, the skull-shaped shoulder-guard has trouble staying in place, since it is strapped on only via a pleather strap across the biceps. The vambraces are a single molded piece each, which makes them easy to use, but look a little less than convincing. The greaves are fastened in place with a couple of pleather straps each. The use of soft, pleather boots was an excellent choice for avoiding any hindrance to the ankle articulation. The foot pegs of the TBLeague body need some help fitting into the openings of the "feet" on the inside of the boots, but heating with a hairdryer should help; the fit is reasonably snug and secure, although you should always take extra precautions with these heftier bodies. The cloth cape does not drape particularly well, but it does have concealed thin wires across the top and sides, which would allow you to pose the cape in appropriate or dramatic configurations; there is no wire across the bottom edge, which is purposefully (though perhaps not very realistically) tattered. The cape is attached by a couple of pleather straps that go over the shoulders, under the armpits, and then across the back; getting this to work was one of the more frustrating parts of my experience with this set, and it still does not look quite right.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman018

Fun Factor

The absence of companion figures in the line is always a limitation here, and the Mondo figures are in a very different style (though you might be able to get away with using Skeletor). On its own, this is still a very decent product, looks good, and it can probably play well enough with others. The not entirely consistent design and paint, however, might make it look just a little out of place next to more realistic pieces based on grittier and more detailed source material. For the more adventurous collector, however, this can be redressed with a modicum of customization.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman019

Value

This set retails for about $100 (USD). This is not cheap, especially considering that the set comes without the body, which is likely to cost (on average) another $80. However, in this day and age, a high-end action figure under $200 is increasingly rare, and fine realistic head sculpts alone often cost over $30 by themselves. I suppose it ultimately comes down to the individual's appreciation of this product as either a(n alternative) portrayal of He-Man, or as a different fantasy warrior, or even as a set of items for kitbashing.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman020

Things to watch out for

I have not had problems yet, but I would be careful with the plastic sword, with the little rubbery hook on the harness, and with the tabs on the harness and belt.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman021

Overall

I ended up liking this set more than I thought I would. Perhaps because I am not wedded to a particular representation of He-Man; perhaps because I always considered this something to build up from with some customization and additional pieces. Paired with a good body, the set results in a nice figure that can take dynamic and epic poses. The design seems a little uneven and the paint a little overly clean for my more realistic tastes, but neither is altogether inappropriate for the character's comicbook/cartoon origin.

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman022

Where to Buy:

You can always check around, including on eBay, but here are some suggestions:

Cotswold Collectibles $100
Monkey Depot $100
Timewalker Toys $100

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman023

As always, what do you think?

Update: Extra photos in Post 12.

#heman #barbarian #mrtoys #fiction #fantasy #warrior #male

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty thorough review, as always, Guv. I’ve never been a He-Man fan, but it doesn’t look too bad considering it’s origins. If you plan to use the cape, I would run it under a faucet and then lay it flat (unless you want to iron it) to get the wrinkles out.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty thorough review, as always, Guv. I’ve never been a He-Man fan, but it doesn’t look too bad considering it’s origins. If you plan to use the cape, I would run it under a faucet and then lay it flat (unless you want to iron it) to get the wrinkles out.

Thank you, glad you thought so. And thanks for the tip. I was thinking of steaming it, but that's probably easier. Funny thing is, the cape was kept flat in its own transparent plastic envelope, and yet it still came out this wrinkled. It's the poor choice of cloth, which wrinkles a lot and drapes poorly, although the wires do help "style" it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the detailed review and photos. I think it turned out alright for what it is... a blend of the cartoon and realistic styles. I'm not really a fan of the outfit, but that's more because of the design of it to begin with.

The headsculpt seems decent, but I do think the synthetic and somewhat messy hair (an issue at that length) detracts from it a bit. Would definitely be improved by a re-hair. Not that I'm suggesting it or anything... ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the pictures and great review! I think it's a great set if you were a fan of he-man. Wasn't there also a she-ra set by superduck a few years back, althought it'd probably be harder to get a hold of nowadays.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the detailed review and photos. I think it turned out alright for what it is... a blend of the cartoon and realistic styles. I'm not really a fan of the outfit, but that's more because of the design of it to begin with.

The headsculpt seems decent, but I do think the synthetic and somewhat messy hair (an issue at that length) detracts from it a bit. Would definitely be improved by a re-hair. Not that I'm suggesting it or anything... ;p

Thank you (and welcome). I think we have pretty much the same reaction to the set (especially in relation to the blend and design effects). To be honest, I think the hair perhaps turned out a little better than it looks on the promotional images (where it hands straight down and looks thinner), but it does get out of control easily and is difficult to style, as you said, because of the material and length. A re-hair, especially on a spare head, is not out of the question. Smile

csyeung wrote:Thanks for the pictures and great review! I think it's a great set if you were a fan of he-man. Wasn't there also a she-ra set by superduck a few years back, although it'd probably be harder to get a hold of nowadays.

Thank you (and welcome). Glad to hear that -- I myself am not a He-Man expert by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, there was a She-ra and I think she (or a kitbashed upgrade) has been featured in some other threads (by Bad-Wolf maybe?).

Nekk-ra

Got mine today, and I'm pretty happy with it. I wasn't terribly happy with how the Mondo He-man turned out - something not right with the way the head sculpt came out of production- but loved their Skeletor and Mer-man. Still stuck on which body to use, because it's designed for the M34/M35, but the Worldbox A28 (27?) Jointed body would blend better with the Mondos. Decisions.

I also found out this kit is based off a He-man statue Sideshow put out a few years back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154131470897

Ovy

Ovy
He looks like Arnold Stryker, don't you think? Dolph Strykgren?

Never much cared about He man, only knowing the memes, haha. Fair review, I think it's not easy to translate colorful comic stuff into realism, I also see this as a stylized mix of both worlds.

If you ever attempt a rehair, I am sure it will be great!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nekk-ra wrote:Got mine today, and I'm pretty happy with it. I wasn't terribly happy with how the Mondo He-man turned out - something not right with the way the head sculpt came out of production- but loved their Skeletor and Mer-man. Still stuck on which body to use, because it's designed for the M34/M35, but the Worldbox A28 (27?) Jointed body would blend better with the Mondos. Decisions.

I also found out this kit is based off a He-man statue Sideshow put out a few years back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154131470897

Well-spotted! Now that mystery is solved, thanks to you. I'm telling myself I have a good nose for these things, although it turned out to be a Sideshow, not ARH, statue in the end. Smile I'm glad you're happy with it, I think you have a better appreciation/understanding of it than I; but I'm pretty happy with it too. And I'm not crazy about the Mondo design style, but we have to work with what we've got. Given how much of the body is exposed, I wouldn't go for a jointed one, although you are right in principle.

Ovy wrote:He looks like Arnold Stryker, don't you think? Dolph Strykgren? Never much cared about He man, only knowing the memes, haha. Fair review, I think it's not easy to translate colorful comic stuff into realism, I also see this as a stylized mix of both worlds. If you ever attempt a rehair, I am sure it will be great!

Thank you very much, glad you agree. Given the inherent difficulty of combining animated and realistic looks, I think they did pretty well in the end. And thanks for the vote of confidence on the potential re-hair! Smile I still have to finish up a previous one.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I didn't watch He Man too much, and I'm not aware of the movie either. That said I think it would be a fantasy set with the exception of the skirt, I'm sure you (or anyone that gets it) could get some real leather or leather like material on it and make it look far better.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:I didn't watch He Man too much, and I'm not aware of the movie either. That said I think it would be a fantasy set with the exception of the skirt, I'm sure you (or anyone that gets it) could get some real leather or leather like material on it and make it look far better.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It crossed my mind, but while theoretically doable, I suspect the layers will add up to something unwieldy. Perhaps a less ambitious design would have been advisable, but as we now know, they were copying a Sideshow statue.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He-Man makes (and rides) a friend. Release the Krankor!

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman110

warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Heman111

As usual, blackpool and Stryker are to blame. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s a pretty cool looking Rancor (that’s the Hasbro version, correct).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:That’s a pretty cool looking Rancor (that’s the Hasbro version, correct).

Correct, the Hasbro version (but there are more than one). This one is probably this:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Black-Jabbas-Rancor-Exclusive/dp/B011HRF7MK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=hasbro+rancor&qid=1602553938&sr=8-6 (I think I had found it loose and parted out).

Here is how he looks next to a 6-inch figure and a 3.75-inch figure; although designed for the latter, he could pretty much work with the former too:
warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Rancor10

I am disappointed there isn't any joint in the elbows or knees, but it is otherwise a pretty cool rendition.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thank you for the detailed review.
while i practically grew up on motu and the entire line back in the 80s, i have to say this interpretation of he-man leaves me completly cold.
masters of the universe for me is the very toys i played with and a while back mattel did a good job with the classics figures, which sadly nowadays cost a fortune or you have to find someone selling his entire collection for private reasons at a reasonable price.

personally i think motu doesn´t work in the 1/6 scale for neither price nor scale would allow for the vehicles that made the line great (again, pure personal preference)
from what i´ve read so far even the 1/12 snake mountain (for me THE playset back in the 80s) is around 1000€ give or take, shipping costs not included.

oddly enough even the exact 1/6 copy of he-mans head from the 80s looks "wrong" on a 1/6 muscle body. but again, that´s just me.

to think i´d go army build my favorite faction of snake men or horde troopers, my wife would give me the boot for sure Razz

kind regards
tjolnir

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:thank you for the detailed review.
while i practically grew up on motu and the entire line back in the 80s, i have to say this interpretation of he-man leaves me completly cold.
masters of the universe for me is the very toys i played with and a while back mattel did a good job with the classics figures, which sadly nowadays cost a fortune or you have to find someone selling his entire collection for private reasons at a reasonable price.

personally i think motu doesn´t work in the 1/6 scale for neither price nor scale would allow for the vehicles that made the line great (again, pure personal preference)
from what i´ve read so far even the 1/12 snake mountain (for me THE playset back in the 80s) is around 1000€ give or take, shipping costs not included.

oddly enough even the exact 1/6 copy of he-mans head from the 80s looks "wrong" on a 1/6 muscle body. but again, that´s just me.

to think i´d go army build my favorite faction of snake men or horde troopers, my wife would give me the boot for sure Razz

kind regards
tjolnir

Thank you (and welcome). I agree, it is not a very good recreation of the classic look, yet at the same time that look does not translate easily into high-end realistic sixth scale sets. Now that I have seen the Sideshow statue, I appreciate how accurate this set is to its actual source. But as I suspected, that might not be resonant enough for classic He-Man fans.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:That’s a pretty cool looking Rancor (that’s the Hasbro version, correct).

Correct, the Hasbro version (but there are more than one). This one is probably this:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Black-Jabbas-Rancor-Exclusive/dp/B011HRF7MK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=hasbro+rancor&qid=1602553938&sr=8-6 (I think I had found it loose and parted out).

Here is how he looks next to a 6-inch figure and a 3.75-inch figure; although designed for the latter, he could pretty much work with the former too:
warrior - Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (MT-2018-03) review (updated) Rancor10

I am disappointed there isn't any joint in the elbows or knees, but it is otherwise a pretty cool rendition.

Yikes! $260 for a Hasbro figure?! Looks like I won’t be getting one of those as a gag — that’s insane!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Yikes! $260 for a Hasbro figure?! Looks like I won’t be getting one of those as a gag — that’s insane!

Well, yes, I would agree. But I meant if you found him parted out for a much more reasonable price.

doodlehobby

Tjolnir wrote:thank you for the detailed review.

kind regards
tjolnir
A little off topic: Not sure if this would interest you, but there is the Mega Construx Masters of the Universe line. Smaller footprint and more playable.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for the tip, i prefer the original toys look though.
my inner child was tempted with the origins line mattel released recently, but owning the "essential" figures from the classics line i opted for necas cartoon accurate tmnt figures.
havent had good tmnt figures in quite a while and super7 is far to expensive to collect the essential cast, let alone army build foot soldiers.
motu classics were the closest reinterpretation in an adult quality we had so far, origins on the other hand would be a thing to buy double and give one set to your child to play, while you collect your childhood memories properly Wink
though i wager from a childs perspective, what good would be toys if you don't play with them =)
cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum