OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy's recent sixth-scale jointed bodies comparison review and the simultaneous appearance of a new twelfth-scale stormtrooper action figure by Hasbro inspired me to put this together. Stormtroopers are difficult -- getting the right kind of articulation with all this armor and getting the right look and proportion in the complex (and originally unintentionally asymmetric) helmet design has been a challenge even for sixth-scale products (indeed even Hot Toys has often failed to quite nail it). Some of these issues are present in the twelfth-scale figures, although most of them are perhaps surprisingly successful in most, if not necessarily all respects. Since this is mostly about comparing the figures themselves, I have not been comprehensive in covering the other items (stands, additional accessories, etc) that come in the sets, except for some basic indication in the notes.

Here are five twelfth-scale stormtroopers (there might be additional versions out there, in which case these are the second, updated versions). From left to right: Hasbro Black Series (henceforth, H), Kaiyodo Revoltech (KR), Bandai model set (B), Bandai S.H. Figuarts (BSHF), and the just-released Hasbro Black Series "The Mandalorian" (HM).

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor10

Some things to note: KR is apparently now also released under the brand name Animewild; moreover, there appeared substantially less expensive Chinese knockoffs of the original Japanese sets, often inferior in the quality of the materials and paint application. The Bandai model set needs to be put together, a somewhat time-consuming and possibly challenging process. The new Hasbro Black Series stormtrooper, HM, while referencing The Mandalorian series, is essentially a Rogue One stormtrooper, since the shape design is supposed to be identical.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor11

Front. Note the extra low "brow" of H and B, and the higher dome of KR. For some reason, the helmet design of H comes across as the worst to me (strangely, their sandtrooper helmets were very good); B has a fine helmet, but the distance ratio between the "nose" and "lip" areas is reversed; HM's helmet is more specifically appropriate for Rogue One and The Mandalorian; the "nose" and "lip" distances are about the same here, which is not quite right but at least they are not reversed (strangely, Hasbro's 3.75-inch Rogue One stormtroopers were even better in this respect). BSHF's helmet is technically correct, but there is still something that seems a little off with it. Only B's helmet has actual green translucent lenses, but it is not something you can actually notice without taking it apart. KR's armor is not quite bulky enough, while HM's is specific to its source movie/series. KR's helmet is very good in many respects, but something (the high dome?) is a little off.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor12

Back. Note the holes in the back armor panel of H, in the butt armor panel of KR, and in the boots of BSHF, KR's diminutive thermal detonator, and the strangely small trapezoidal designs on the helmet of BSHF. It doesn't show well in the photo, but HM's armor has the movie/series-specific rectangular indent on the top surface of the "backpack" section of the back plate. Also note that the chest-and-upper-back armor assembly is a separate piece that allows for underlying articulation.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor13

Elbow articulation (best: HM and B; worst: H) and neck and upper torso stretch backward (best: B; worst: KR).

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor14

Neck and upper torso stretch forward (best: KR, BSHF, and HM; worst: H).

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor15

Upward and sideways arm movement (worst -- sideways: H). Note that B and BSHF have shoulder armor designed so that it moves out of the way, while HM's is made of more flexible plastic -- which allows the movement, but if you keep the pose too long, it might remain twisted and require corrective action. KR can theoretically do better with the upward arm movement, but the joint comes apart.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor16

Taking a knee (worst: H). Surprisingly, all five can achieve this pose (this should also cover any question of sitting), although H has the most difficulty getting to it and maintaining it, and needs to twist its torso a bit more than the others. The other four are about evenly matched. Note that B and BSHF have the ability to extend the thigh portion of the upper legs, which provides additional help in a pose like that.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor17

Random action poses. You can achieve these with any of the stormtrooper figures, although some look more natural than others. The overly short neck of B seems to get in the way of a more natural look.

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor19

These are the two most recent twelfth-scale stormtroopers, by Bandai (S.H. Figuarts) and Hasbro ("The Mandalorian"). Their release (especially the latter) is responsible for the review. This Bandai is superior to the Bandai model kit (B) in most respects, other than price. For example, it allows more natural looking poses (a surprise to me), and it certainly has improved the helmet. Hasbro's new stormtrooper (HM) has considerable advantages over the older version, both in function and in looks (in fact I dislike the older version so much that I only picked up that one for reference). While its helmet may look a little overly small from some angles (note the difference an angle makes!), that is to a significant degree the result of the partial streamlining of the helmets for the Rogue One film (carried over to The Mandalorian).

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison Tsstor18

The packaging for BSHF and HM. While this is not the focus of the review, I should at least list the differences in accessories: H comes with a standard E-11 blaster rifle and a longer blaster rifle (seen in the first photo); KR comes with a clear stand, extra hands, and both the standard and longer blaster rifles; B comes with a stand (representing just a section of flat black Death Star floor), extra hands, and both the standard and long blaster rifles, plus the more compact laser pistol (that I never remember from the films); BSHF comes with an optional holster, with the standard blaster rifle and with two long blaster rifles of different design; HM comes only with the standard blaster rifle.

So what is the best stormtrooper? I suppose that to some degree opinions would vary, but to me the first Hasbro Black Series (H) is clearly the worst, both in appearance and in function, even if its price point (at least originally) was decent by comparison with the others. Genuine KR were fairly expensive (the knock offs fairly cheap), but the extra-lanky look and the overly high dome of the helmet make me ambivalent as to its viability, although I prefer it to H. The Bandai model kit (B) was fairly inexpensive and came with perhaps the most extensive or varied assortment of accessories, but the mistakes in the helmet design and the slightly too short neck keep it from first place. BSHF is an improvement in appearance and perhaps even functionality on B, but it can be fairly expensive. Finally, the newly-released HM has fewer accessories than any of the others, but has an excellent look (subject to the usual vagaries of Hasbro's paint job and quality control) and functionality, coupled with a relatively low price (just north of $20 USD, it is less expensive than any of the others, except the original price of H and perhaps KR knock-offs). This makes it both an excellent figure in itself and the most viable option as an army builder among the ones reviewed here. In terms of quality and functionality, there is probably a tie between HM and BSHF, but BSHF is becoming both rare and even more expensive. (I have not discussed specific prices, because several of these products are now no longer readily accessible except on the secondary market, and we are no longer dealing with their original prices.)

As always, what do you think?

#starwars #stormtrooper #film #scifi #fiction #male #military #productreview

Ovy

Ovy
Interesting review, so many differences between the same 'character'.
It was you after all who made me realize there are any differences between stormtroopers at all 😂 

I only own the Bandai One (again learned from you there are stormtrooper model kits by Bandai),  agree with the short neck. The Sandtrooper has a longer neck and a different helmet (smaller eyes or something) and armor. And there is a Han and a Luke version, which are basically the original Stormtrooper set with an extra head and an option to make Luke's legs shorter.

And thanks for the mentioning!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Interesting review, so many differences between the same 'character'.
It was you after all who made me realize there are any differences between stormtroopers at all 😂 

I only own the Bandai One (again learned from you there are stormtrooper model kits by Bandai),  agree with the short neck. The Sandtrooper has a longer neck and a different helmet (smaller eyes or something) and armor. And there is a Han and a Luke version, which are basically the original Stormtrooper set with an extra head and an option to make Luke's legs shorter.

And thanks for the mentioning!

Thank you very much! Yep, once you line them up, they all look like Stormtroopers, yet they are all a little different. Smile Seems like just yesterday the Bandai model set was the best thing out there, but then Bandai bested itself with the S. H. Figuarts figure (especially the appearance of the head and neck, but the body might be easier to handle too, which is surprising to me); then again that one is prohibitively expensive for army building. The new Hasbro "Mandalorian" stormtrooper is surprisingly nice (and any occasional slips up of the Hasbro paint job are fixable) and functional, and no more expensive than the Bandai model sets when they came out. So if you want to keep army building (I know you mentioned you already did with the model sets), these are a viable option. I'd pick up at least a couple (of course I'm picking up more than a couple, being me). Smile

Diana

Diana
Oh I love comparisons like these, thank you!!
And what a great backdrop, too! Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
AerynDiana wrote:Oh I love comparisons like these, thank you!!
And what a great backdrop, too! Very Happy

Thank you very much, glad you liked it. And the GTP (Galactic Trading Post) space walls are excellent quality and almost perfect (I'll explain below). These are obviously the 1:12 scale ones (they also have them in the "classic" scale for the 3.75 in figures). I only wish they had made the top and bottom elements (the ones that look like drawers) separate pieces so you could change the configuration of how they align with the main elements as needed for screen accuracy, as it varies (deep drawer on top or bottom, shallow drawer on bottom or top). But otherwise they are perfect. I made high-quality scans of them and then used those to print the sixth-scale backgrounds I use, for example most recently here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3240-star-wars-a-happy-endings-story-nsfw-updated

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
How did you print them at 1/6 scale (is it just paper? Or are they 3D printed?)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Male - STAR WARS New and Old Twelfth-Scale Stormtroopers comparison C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:How did you print them at 1/6 scale (is it just paper? Or are they 3D printed?)

If I recall, I did a high-resolution scan of each different panel (producing four relatively large files), then blew it up to double-size (which reduced the resolution, but it was ok because it was high to begin with), then arranged the images as I wanted (a couple of different combinations of four panels), saved them as separate jpegs, and had them printed out on matte paper at Staples. This was a couple of years ago, so I don't recall every detail (like the specific resolution of the scan and print), but there's nothing more to it. I think it worked out remarkably well, which is largely thanks to the excellent quality of the original molded pieces, and of course scanning at high resolution.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for the review, those figures bring me back a loooong time, when i was a little kid playing with kenner figures.
i don´t know why star wars never stuck with me when i was collection adult figures 1/6 or other scale, but i remember vividly how sad i was losing my only storm trooper figure while taking a trip to the city with my grandma.
oddly enough to this day i still recognize the building where i supposedly dropt it out of my pocket.

lesson learned, don´t take your toys with you on unnecessary trips =)

i guess 1/12 scale at least allows for army building troopers without robbing the nearest bank and have room for some vehicles.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:thanks for the review, those figures bring me back a loooong time, when i was a little kid playing with kenner figures.
i don´t know why star wars never stuck with me when i was collection adult figures 1/6 or other scale, but i remember vividly how sad i was losing my only storm trooper figure while taking a trip to the city with my grandma.
oddly enough to this day i still recognize the building where i supposedly dropt it out of my pocket.

lesson learned, don´t take your toys with you on unnecessary trips =)

i guess 1/12 scale at least allows for army building troopers without robbing the nearest bank and have room for some vehicles.

Thank you (and welcome). I resisted going into this line for a long time, then resisted no longer, in part because Hasbro had temporarily given up on its otherwise pretty great super-articulated 3.75-inch figures, which were themselves a nice update to the classic Kenner ones, to which I had the same nostalgic attachment as you. Army-building is definitely easier in twelfth scale than sixth scale, although some of these (like genuine KR and BSHF) were not cheap at all, and even at just over $20 H, B, and HM are hardly what one would consider cheap for a regular twelfth-scale figure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum