OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
When these sets first showed up as pre-orders, I liked them but wasn't sure if I was going to go for them. Eventually I decided to pick one up, largely so I could put together a Cap figure matching the nice rendition of Peggy Carter by JX Toys that I reviewed some time ago.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0110

The set includes a shirt, pants, shoes, coat, belt, tie, and cap, as well as a number of accessories that allow for achieving slightly different looks.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0210

It comes neatly packaged in a simple cardboard box with an image of the fully-outfitted figure.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0710

I mounted everything on a TBLeague M31 body, which was suitable for Chris Evans' height and probably the only TBLeague body to be reasonably easy to dress up in these clothes.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0310

The cap had some trouble fitting over the sculpted hair of the HT head sculpt I chose, but perhaps it would be easier with other heads.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0410

The tie has the tendency to want to jut out from the body. I restrained it with double-sided tape and the jacket, but it was annoying enough to keep me from trying to depict the look without the jacket on. Peggy tried to help adjust it, as it also kept going crooked.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0510

Not sure whether the tie ever got properly fixed, but those two sure did...

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0610

While some of the accessories came already attached to the uniform, others were left to me. This was not just a question of the ones that are interchangeable or optional (the extras I did not use are in the photo below), as several were definitely an integral part of the uniform/look -- e.g., the badge on the cap, etc.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1310

Attaching these tiny items with glue is a pain, so I don't plan to mess much with the outfit now that I have put it together. Perhaps someone can advise on the best part of glue for this sort of thing; I used Gorilla superglue (without expecting it to work perfectly), and indeed some things got detached and had to be redone. The armbands are essentially lengths of ribbed cloth tape that you have to put on the lower sleeves, and require some care doing so; they can also come undone.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0810

Overall, the outfitted figure looks good, and although the layers of clothing and the relative stiffness and tightness of the jacket impede the articulation a little, it works pretty well.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral0910

He certainly passed the sitting test well enough for Peggy to get cozy.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1010

The sunglasses are all one piece of thin, bendable metal, although they have a nice reflective finish on the front side. You can bend their temples to fit the head sculpt of your choice, and they sit pretty well.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1110

Here is a closer look at the sunglasses, thanks to Ovy's question --

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1410

All in all, a pretty nice set, and one that will probably be a viable option if you want to put together this look.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1210

Where to buy? I you can search in the usual places, I picked it up from Monkey Depot:
https://www.monkeydepot.com/Uniform_Set_Alert_Line_WWII_U_S_Army_Uniform_A_p/alb0039.htm

Bonus: a silly test video featuring our man

Hope this was helpful or informative. What do you think?

#captainamerica #steverogers #chrisevans #avengers #alertline #accessory #set #clothing #uniform #military #male #modern

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very nice, they look great!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very nice, they look great!

Thank you, BW, I'm glad you liked them.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Not bad. I have a uniform (not sure if it’s this one, or the other) for this look, but I haven’t received it yet. I’m planning to strip down the Steve Rogers from the Winter Soldier 2-pack for this to go with Peggy, as well. (I hate all the tiny things we have to attach to these uniforms, also).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Not bad. I have a uniform (not sure if it’s this one, or the other) for this look, but I haven’t received it yet. I’m planning to strip down the Steve Rogers from the Winter Soldier 2-pack for this to go with Peggy, as well. (I hate all the tiny things we have to attach to these uniforms, also).

I hope it turns out as good. Lots of tiny items and no instruction sheet -- I used the promotional images as a quick comparison. Getting the belts to go through the belt buckles was another challenge, but I managed it in the end with some surgical pliers.

Ovy

Ovy
I love tiny details,  the annoyingness of attaching them often pays.

While the outfit looks great overall, I think the shoes shine the most here.

How is the paint job on the glasses? They sometimes have those color bleeding problems. 

Nice to see they finally can spend time together. I got the 'old captain' head recently.

And your test is quite fun, also slightly creepy.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ahh, love it! Great to see them together. And in (sort of) matching outfits. I love you  There aren't that many Marvel pairings that I care enough about to actively 'ship', but Peggy x Steve is one of them. :'D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very nice! and they look so good together!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ahh, love it! Great to see them together. And in (sort of) matching outfits. I love you  There aren't that many Marvel pairings that I care enough about to actively 'ship', but Peggy x Steve is one of them. :'D

BAMComix wrote:Very nice! and they look so good together!

Thank you guys, I'm glad you like them. And I agree, they make a nice enough couple to have together.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:I love tiny details,  the annoyingness of attaching them often pays. While the outfit looks great overall, I think the shoes shine the most here. How is the paint job on the glasses? They sometimes have those color bleeding problems. Nice to see they finally can spend time together. I got the 'old captain' head recently. And your test is quite fun, also slightly creepy.

Thanks, Ovy. Smile

You are more comfortable with tiny details than a lot of us, and it shows in the excellence of your creative and detailed builds. Naturally, it is not so much the tiny details I mind, as the difficulty of getting them right -- in this instance, attaching them securely to the fabric costume or (with belts) getting them to go through the tight buckles and loops. But it does pay in the end, as you said.

The shoes are quite nice, and as one of the part-out shops notes, their surface is made to look a little cracked and thus more natural than a smooth shiny piece of plastic.

I delayed my response to upload a closer look at the sunglasses (which I realized was missing among the photos in the initial post). Here it is again (and I updated the original post to include it). I don't know exactly how they achieved this, but the lens areas (on the inside too, by the way) are perhaps indeed painted on, as I cannot detect the edge of any raised surface (so they are not separate pieces or stickers glued on). I didn't notice any bleed. In the sense that these are not "real," translucent lenses, they are a cheaper alternative (as are the thin metal bendable temples), but they are visually effective nonetheless.

clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) Sral1410

I also picked up the "old captain" head, just haven't done anything with it yet.

csyeung

csyeung
They look great together!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
csyeung wrote:They look great together!

Thank you, glad you agree!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Great looking set, I guess it could work for just about anything not necesarily for Captain America.

As for glues I usually use a little bit of uhu and that's usually enough to get cloth on cloth adhesion, however those little medals might not work due to the material, I would try some double sided tape cut to the shape of the medals/pins.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! clothing - Captain America 1970s accessory set by AlertLine (AL100028A) (updated) 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Great looking set, I guess it could work for just about anything not necesarily for Captain America.

As for glues I usually use a little bit of uhu and that's usually enough to get cloth on cloth adhesion, however those little medals might not work due to the material, I would try some double sided tape cut to the shape of the medals/pins.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing too -- it would work for other characters.

As for glue, double-sided tape doesn't seem very promising -- I tried using that to keep the tie from jutting out when he was not wearing the jacket, and it failed pretty quickly, even while utilizing a much larger surface (and less porous cloth) than the little pins and badges would. Now if we were trying to attach them to a hard non-porous surface, it would totally work.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I definitely do not recommend double-sided tape for use with fabric. I had a terrible experience with some double sided tape melting in hot weather and ruining a 1/6 scale outfit.

ETA: As for glues, perhaps try gem-tac, that is a glue that some people use for adhereing fake gems and other bling to fabric (and shoes, handbags, etc).

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I definitely do not recommend double-sided tape for use with fabric. I had a terrible experience with some double sided tape melting in hot weather and ruining a 1/6 scale outfit.

ETA: As for glues, perhaps try gem-tac, that is a glue that some people use for adhereing fake gems and other bling to fabric (and shoes, handbags, etc).

I agree, double sided tape was just intended as a temporary fix, I wouldn't have left it in place indefinitely. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Sharp looking set and really nice review GFAn! 

I think Gemtac is a lot like Fabritac, and if so it's probably really gooey and hard to apply to tiny items. CA can really work, but usually works better if you apply a little kicker to it. I use the CA that comes in a brush (there are several brands, and they are usually not the superthin style, more medium viscosity--this gives you time to apply it without it drying out and is more controllable than nozzles.) Stick it on and immediately dab a drop of kicker using a toothpick. Sometimes this will leave white residue, but you can usually scrape/pick that off. Test first on scrap fabric/plastic to get the technique down before trying it out on the insignia.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Tank Girl, and thank you for the suggestion. I looked up the product and will keep it in mind.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
You're welcome GFAN, but just to be clear I was recommending CA (super glue), not Fabritac. I love Fabritac but it is finicky to use and would be a nightmare on tiny objects. I didn't mention a specific brand of CA but ZAP medium with brush is pretty good. That's more of a hobby shop brand although I think Amazon has it. Other brands with brush to try are Krazy glue and Loctite, both of which I've used. I'd say Loctite might be slightly better, but both are good. For kicker I use only ZAP. Foam safe is milder and safer for small plastic pieces. I've had plastic start to melt when I used regular kicker, so I avoid that in general. Bob Smith brand is fine but has a perfume smell I hate.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the clarification and additional details. I didn't think you were talking about Fabritac -- at any rate I hate working with that, so I wouldn't go there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum