OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I was asked for advice on short-haired heads matching TBLeague male bodies. Here are some of the preliminary results (I will post more eventually), that meet this criterion and match reasonably well (one's definition of that may vary) the skin tone of an M33 body. The body's skin tone corresponds (very closely if not always exactly) to those of M31, M32, M34, M35, and M36A, so one can draw conclusions for them too; these heads will not match M30, which is a bit lighter and more ashen/greyish, and M36B, which is darker. Note that many of the heads have been converted ("de-necked") to work with such bodies -- see Tutorial. In many instances I find it helpful to stuff the TBLeague body's neck; but in a few cases that may make some heads sit a little weirdly on the bodies (I haven't bothered to remove the stuffing for those few cases). The information for each head I have on file varies from the most basic (e.g., what actor -- which is sometimes mere guess) to precise (e.g., actor, character name, film/show, source set, make/brand); if you have more info or corrections on specific entries, please let me know (please use the catalog number supplied for each photo for clarity, e.g., 002-08).

Part I

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm10

001-01 J C Van Damme Luke Deveraux Universal Soldier Blitzway
001-02 Ed Skrein Francisco (Francis) The Division Axeman (Deadpool) VTS
001-03 Sam Worthington Marcus Wright Terminator Hot Toys
001-05 Christian Bale John Connor Terminator Hot Toys
001-06 Matthew Fox Dr Jack Shepard Lost US Army Green Beret ODA721
001-10 Colin Farrell
001-11 MARSOC OPS Team Operator DAM
001-12 Jake Gyllenhaal from Hot Toys body TTM19 (knockoff)
002-01 Matt Damon
002-02 Matt Damon
002-03 Taylor Kitsch Battleship
002-04 Randy Orton

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm11

002-08 Ryan Reynolds
002-09 Seal Sniper Flagset
002-12 Task Force Skipper Easy & Simple
003-03 Daniel Craig James Bond
003-04 Daniel Craig James Bond
003-05 Jeremy Renner Hawkeye Hot Toys (knockoff)
003-06 Norman Reedus Daryl Dixon DAM
003-07 Andrew Lincoln Rick Grimes DAM
003-10 Ryder Watson SF001 Ghost Series Special Ops Center Glint Team Leader DAM
003-11 Ryan Reynolds
003-12 Ryan Reynolds
004-06 Paul Walker MARSOC Special Ops Team Leader DAM

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm12

004-07 Andrew Garfield WW2 Medic Alert Line
004-08 Field Agent Langley Black Ops Easy & Simple
004-09 Heath Ledger US Army ISAF Soldier
005-01 Ray Stevenson British Metro Police MPS SC019 Easy & Simple
005-03 MARSOC Special Ops Commander Flagset
005-04 Army SF Group Flagset
005-05 Eric Dane Captain Tom Chandler US Navy Mini Times
005-06 Edward Norton Dewey Canyon USMS 3rd Force Recon Vietnam 1969 ACE
005-07 Adam Kane Marcus VC
005-08 Bradley Cooper PMC Urban Operations Assaulter Easy & Simple
005-11 Ray Stevenson Revenger DAM VTS

#headsculpt #head #male #phicen #tbleague #reference

Chip

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble and time . If possible could you point out those you de- necked , or those that were ready to go so to speak . " Reminds me a bit of a Police who done it line up " . Very Happy Very impressive sculpt collection . Thanks again .

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is really exhaustive, Ian. I honestly think it is generally easier to match male heads to TBL bodies as the skin tones are mostly fairly dark — the female heads are where the real issues occur. All of HT heads are excessively dark compared to most of the other female heads on the market, and of course the bodies.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:    Thank you so much for going to all that trouble and time . If possible could you point out those you de- necked , or those that were ready to go so to speak .  " Reminds me a bit of a Police who done it line up " . Very Happy   Very impressive sculpt collection . Thanks again .

You are very welcome. Hope it is useful, Part II coming up. I will have to check again -- my catalog doesn't list this (I thought it did!). But don't be under any illusion that you will always be able to find the head sculpts you want or like without integral necks. Once I took the leap and started de-necking, I was much happier (and poorer -- although I suppose richer in head sculpts). Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:That is really exhaustive, Ian. I honestly think it is generally easier to match male heads to TBL bodies as the skin tones are mostly fairly dark — the female heads are where the real issues occur. All of HT heads are excessively dark compared to most of the other female heads on the market, and of course the bodies.

Thanks, Mark, glad you liked it. Hardly exhaustive -- only been though the first dozen catalogued boxes so far, and excluded heads with too much hair or more obvious skin tone mismatch. You are right that it is an issue with female heads, but you can find plenty of it with the male ones too -- there are a bunch of heads that are more pale and pink, or more yellowish, or simply a little (too) pale by comparison with this skin tone. You can see that even though I was trying to weed out the mismatches, some of the heads here are a little off after all. It has occurred to me that if one can reproduce a matte acrylic mix to match the skin tone, painting over the neck areas below the jawline and the hairline might help with some mismatches while at the same time avoid messing up the face.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm13

006-04 Guy Pierce? from World Box body
006-05 Mark Forester CCT Combat Controller Easy & Simple
006-06 Christ Pratt Peter Quill Star-Lord Guardians of the Galaxy Hot Toys (knockoff)
006-08 USAF Pararescue Jumper Toys City
006-10 Sullivan Stapleton? GALAC TAC Desert Raider Green Wolf
006-11 Joseph Gordon-Levitt John Blake Robin Batman Hot Toys
006-12 Michael C. Hall? Spetsnaz MVD Vityaz Chechnya DAM
007-04 Chris Evans Steve Rogers Captain America Hot Toys
007-06 Ben Affleck Eleven Toys
007-07 Christian Bale Bruce Wayne Batman Hot Toys
007-11 Gerard Butler Nightmare Stalker VTS
007-12 German KSK LRRP DAM

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm14

008-01 Ryan Gosling K-Hobby
008-02 German KSK Assaulter DAM
008-03 Vin Diesel
008-05 Chris Evans Steve Rogers Captain America Hot Toys
008-07 Henry Cavill Clark Kent Superman Hot Toys (image available is of the second, paler release of this sculpt)
008-08 Henry Cavill Clark Kent Superman
008-09 Jeremy Renner Hawkeye
008-10 Adam Baldwin US Marine Tet Offensive 1968 FMJ DAM
008-12 Prince Harry? from Hot Toys body TTM09
009-02 Jake Gyllenhaal Jarhead?
009-03 Antonio Banderas Soldier of Fortune 4 Art Figures
009-10 Tobey Maguire Peter Parker Spiderman Hot Toys (knockoff?)

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tblstm15

009-12 Mason US Riot Police ZCWO
010-05 Leonardo DiCaprio
011-06 Mark Wahlberg
011-07 Sam Worthington Perseus Hot Toys (knockoff)
011-08 SAW Gunner Crazy Dummy
012-01 Jason Statham
012-03 Jason Statham
012-05 Christian Bale
012-06 Tom Hardy Mad Max Eleven Toys
012-09 Ben Affleck
012-10 Lee Byung-hun
012-12 Mark Strong Feldgendarmerie Soldier Story

Diana

Diana
Holy cow that's impressive! I've been meaning to create a catalogue like, and I did start, but it's so tedious! I may not continue until a new body comes along that I just can't resist buying. ^^

Thank you!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very helpful catalogue, GF. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!

Not to make more work for you at all, but just to double check... am I right in thinking that certain Hot Toys heads (such as the ones you've de-necked in the past) are a pretty good match for the standard male tbleague skintone?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Holy cow that's impressive! I've been meaning to create a catalogue like, and I did start, but it's so tedious! I may not continue until a new body comes along that I just can't resist buying. ^^ Thank you!

Thank you very much for the kind words, and you're welcome. Smile You are right, it is very tedious, and that's why mine is neither complete nor entirely done properly. I did a lot with the male heads, since I had the boxes to store them. I began working on one for the female heads, but still don't have a perfect storage solution for them, so it is even more incomplete. Here are a couple of examples from my actual catalog photos -- the ones I've been posting in this thread were actually specially taken to show the match with the skin tone of a TBLeague body, whereas the normal catalog photos try to go for uniformity with the same male and female display busts.

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Catsam12

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Catsam11

skywalkersaga wrote:Very helpful catalogue, GF. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!

Not to make more work for you at all, but just to double check... am I right in thinking that certain Hot Toys heads (such as the ones you've de-necked in the past) are a pretty good match for the standard male tbleague skintone?

Thank you very much and you're welcome. On the catalog see also my response to Diana just above.

Yes, you are correct to remember many of the Hot Toys heads do work well with TBLeague's main male body skin tone (M31-M36A), in fact some of these were put together specifically for you (you'll know the ones Smile ) -- here's a few photos I dug up on the quick.

For example, the longest time I had a de-necked HT Chris Evans and a (GAC?) Michelle Pfeiffer (or is it Charlize Theron?) on TBLeague bodies lying around, so they "starred" in a whole bunch of photos, mostly in the OSF Funnies and Useful Items threads or various TBLeague-body-related postings.

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Hlf0310

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Smst0410

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Hl681812

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Tbleag11

The match is also good with one of the older HT Henry Cavill heads (or was it its knockoff? -- anyway less so with the newer, paler HT repaint).

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Thmin212

The match is good with HT Chris Pratt 2.0,

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) M3590c10

and with the various HT Chris Hemsworth heads (at least most of them),

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Avds1210

and with the first HT Jason Momoa head (here rehaired) -- don't have the second to check,

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Conane18

and with your boy Hayden Christensen

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Anim3210

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Deneck17.

But the match isn't as good with HT Ewan Macgregor

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Owd0110

or with HT Sebastian Stan (here rehaired)

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Htbuck19 .

So it varies. And it would -- there is some range of skin tones in different HT heads (2nd from left is not HT) --

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Wwtvhe10 .

ZombieTestSubject

Looks like I'll have to go read through the funnies thread. Amazing resource, like your TBLeague catalog. Will there be more posts of line-ups of matching heads? I wish I could be this organized, and I'm sure you'll catch up on cataloguing your collection eventually.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ZombieTestSubject wrote:Looks like I'll have to go read through the funnies thread. Amazing resource, like your TBLeague catalog. Will there be more posts of line-ups of matching heads? I wish I could be this organized, and I'm sure you'll catch up on cataloguing your collection eventually.

Well, the funnies are there for a reason. Smile Thank you for the kind words. Yes, in principle, I would like to do a few more. And I tell myself the same thing (I will catch up eventually). Gotto have hope, right?

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
Thanks for the very helpful thread! Also, do you know what sculpt this is?

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Headqu10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Suchsneak wrote:Thanks for the very helpful thread! Also, do you know what sculpt this is?

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Headqu10

You are very welcome, I'm glad you're finding it helpful. This head is what Monkey Depot has parted out as "Bella," from the Flagset set "End War Umir" -- it has an interchangeable scalp. Here are some links:

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Head_Flagset_Bella_w_Interchangeable_Bald_Scalp_p/fsl0484.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/End-War-Umir-Female-Head-w-Scalp-1-6-Scale-Flagset-Action-Figures-/274655357577

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
GubernatorFan wrote:
Suchsneak wrote:Thanks for the very helpful thread! Also, do you know what sculpt this is?

You are very welcome, I'm glad you're finding it helpful. This head is what Monkey Depot has parted out as "Bella," from the Flagset set "End War Umir" -- it has an interchangeable scalp. Here are some links:

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Head_Flagset_Bella_w_Interchangeable_Bald_Scalp_p/fsl0484.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/End-War-Umir-Female-Head-w-Scalp-1-6-Scale-Flagset-Action-Figures-/274655357577

Many thanks!

BAMComix

BAMComix
This really is a great reference guide, and really helpful too! This will be a great thread to return to before buying sculpts!

Gotta say, fantastic pics too! you have an amazing collection bounce bounce bounce

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thank You so much ! Best Thread ever. Have so much HS in spare, because i can´t use them. Now i can order one´s that fit !!!!

It´s not only the color. You made the pictures all in the same distance so i can see what Headsculpts are big and small I love you

May i ask for a female HS Thread to ? I know that must be much work

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Suchsneak wrote:Many thanks!

You are very welcome, I'm happy I was able to help (I don't always have detailed notes, and my female head sculpt collection has been much less systematically organized and cataloged).

BAMComix wrote:This really is a great reference guide, and really helpful too! This will be a great thread to return to before buying sculpts! Gotta say, fantastic pics too! you have an amazing collection

Thank you very much, I'm happy you find it helpful.

Ephiane wrote:Thank You so much ! Best Thread ever. Have so much HS in spare, because i can't use them. Now i can order ones that fit !!!! It's not only the color. You made the pictures all in the same distance so i can see what Headsculpts are big and small. May i ask for a female HS Thread to ? I know that must be much work

You are very welcome, I'm glad you find it helpful. Best thread ever? I doubt it, but thank you for the kind words. I hope to add to this down the line. You may ask for something similar with female head sculpts, and being Ephiane, you shall receive (can I refuse you anything?) -- but it might be awhile.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
In answer to someone's question, and sharing it here in case it is of use for anyone else.

I have two Mike Tyson heads. One of them is from a Storm Collectibles set, the other seems to be a third-party (knockoff?) I found on eBay. The first has a warmer color and a somewhat puckered mouth, while the second has a duller color, more relaxed mouth, and more prominent mustache. Neither has a face tattoo, in case you're wondering. I have no use for hard plastic open-jointed bodies for characters like this, that are likely to show elbows and knees or more, so I never got the Storm Collectibles body or anything like it. I was asked what bodies these heads would match in color. Since I happened to have it, here they are with a DAM 3.0 black body, and also with a recolored TBLeague M33 -- I used mostly Olive Brown and Van Dyke Brown oil pastel, if I recall. The latter also matches the Michael Jordan head that ended up on the TBLeague M36B body (here, but that would be far too tall for Mike Tyson); the point is, by the transitive property, if you think these heads match my recolored M33 well enough, they would also match M36B as sold. Anyway, I think the match is passable with all of these.

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Mikety10

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Mikety11

For reference, my earliest recoloring M30 bodies experiments with the Mike Tyson heads, from the Painting Seamless Bodies thread:

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Mtyson10

tbleague - Matching head sculpts and TBLeague skin tone (updated 4 February 2022) Finn0210

I hope this helps.

Chip

Thanks for going to the trouble , for sharing this with us Ian .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:Thanks for going to the trouble , for sharing this with us Ian .

You're very welcome. I was going to remark how, contrary to expectation, these heads matched these two bodies fairly well, despite not being intended for them. Then I tried two other heads I have acquired more recently (Terry Crews and Magic Johnson), and one is too dark, the other too light, although they might (might!) work on one or the other of my older recolored M30 bodies. The Terry Crews head is meant for a DAM 3.5 body, which is taller than the 3.0 and does not have removable ankle pegs (which makes it a pain to use if the pegs don't fit well in the footwear); it is also darker (or at least the one that comes in the set with the Crews head is).

Melancholia

Wow, comprehensive post. Will you be posting a female one anytime in the future?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Morose wrote:Wow, comprehensive post.  Will you be posting a female one anytime in the future?

Hi and welcome. A female one in relation to what specifically? This particular topic was created in response to a question about matching short-haired male heads to male bodies for soldier figures, hence mostly males so far. If you poke around, there are other threads about matching female heads to bodies in terms of skin tone and size/proportion. Usually others beat me to those, and I also feel less ready to modify them, lest I mess up their beauty.

If this was about painting heads or painting bodies, you can look through these links either focusing on that or containing some examples:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3922-repainting-head-sculpts-to-match-body-updated-with-part-iii

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260p135-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3239-the-sexiest-man-alive-woo-toys-wo-004

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3227-action-figure-height-updated-with-part-ii

Melancholia

Sorry, I should've read more closely, I apologize. Thanks for the info on the other posts. ☺

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum