OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need to address something within the group . . .

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
See subject.

DISCLAIMER: The following opinion / post is that of the posting member only.  It does not reflect the views of the group's owner, moderators, or members.

--

Throughout the years, I've been a member of a variety of 1:6 discussion covering a variety of 1:6 genres and interests.  Every 1:6 discussion group whether it's an actual discussion group forum or a social media discussion group have its pros and cons.

There are some who may believe and feel that 1:6 discussion groups should not have any kind of negativity whatsoever at all.  To me . . . that comes off as a being "HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY".

I understand there are some 1:6 discussion groups where "negativity" is a recurring theme in various ways ranging from high strung admins, moderators, members, etc. along with fanatical favoritism towards a particular brand, etc. as well as non-stop plethora of very critical and harsh perspectives and views of this and that.

With that said . . . the intent and purpose of any 1:6 discussion group . . . more or less . . . is not about negativity . . . though there are some that are perceived and viewed that way.

IMHO . . . and mine alone for this discussion / post . . . there will be discussions at times about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the 1:6 hobby ranging from suck @$$ figures and poor practices of 1:6 brands, 1:6 vendors, etc.  That is a reality.  Granted, there may be an occasional trend of where there is more than the usual instances of the preceding due to circumstances and timing.

There are many of us who belong to different 1:6 discussion groups.  I know that.  That is the reality.  Some of us may be more selective on where we choose to actively / regularly participate.  I understand that.  I do the same.

I just felt the need to address this since I have a reputation for addressing the elephant in the room considering I've been the elephant in the room at times.

I want everyone to enjoy their stay here with realistic and reasonable expectations.

That's it.  If you read all this, then thank you.

Again, the preceding is my own opinion and does not reflect the views of the group's owner, moderators, and members.

#discussion

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I get it: criticism is intended to warn fellow collectors and to inspire improvement in the actual products. I am a firm believer in constructive criticism, a notion woefully lost on many of the newer generations. I do hope that all will remember to do this in good taste and in a civil way, not to mention balance negative observations with positive ones where appropriate.

Delanie

Delanie
Sounds good to me

scalawag

scalawag
It is not the negative content of comments that becomes a problem, as it is important to acknowledge and consider the positive and negative aspects of any subject.

The problem is the manner in which some choose to express their negative views, and the vitriol and apparent hatred that often seem to accompany the negative comments made by some.

As GubernatorFan mentioned negative aspects can be dealt with in a calm and considered manner too, rather than just going off on one because you don't like something.  

A considered and thought through response which remains calm and measured might actually bring more success in getting your point across to those who don't necessarily agree with you.

Its not just "fan boys" who can let their passion for something get away from them!  A rant is just a rant whether it is in defence of something or trying to tear it down!

Nothing wrong with being passionate about something, but as a community we should be mindful to treat all expressed passion in the same way, by which I mean if someone is passionate about something in a positive way that should not be seen as anything different to those who choose to express their negative opinions in a passionate way.  

For me, someone overstating their negative opinions about a subject in an emotional and provocative way are equally as uninteresting and unhelpful as those who overstate their positive beliefs on a topic in a similar way, whether that topic is a brand, a particular model, a retailer, a practice within the trade or whatever.....  

Signing off

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's very well said, Paul. I know I have been guilty lately of some of that vitriol; I have to learn to curb my anger a little more, plain and simple. Much like mob-mentality, it's much easier to get caught up in the swell of negativity, then it is to remain calm, take a deep breath, and try to find a more objective form of expression.

I'm hoping we can all step back a bit from some of the more hostile postings of late, and return to the more productively critical form of expression that this board started with. I don't want to see members turned off, much as they have other forums -- where personal conflicts seem to invade quite a few posts, or continuously negative comments brow-beat the same point over and over -- but I imagine, as more and more people discover us, it is probably inevitable. I just hope we can keep such conflicts to a minimum, and approach opposing viewpoint debates in a much more mature and sensible manner.

I must say, however, that I think for the most part, the folks here have been more than courteous, helpful, and generally respectful of each other. And I am grateful to the Guv'na for starting this community, where many of us have found a more open home to express our passion for 1/6.

It's easy on an anonymous forum to be "that guy" who's always a pain in the butt, and rants and complains, and starts "fights", but one of the things that I have to remind myself of, just as a general rule of thumb (but occasionally forget), is that we have a fairly large number of women on this board (in relation to our small numbers), and if I was standing in front of one of them, is what I'm about to post something I would say to their face? Now, that may sound sexist, but I'm old, and I was brought up to be far more respectful of women than men (so ladies, please don't take offense); when I was a younger man, if you mouthed off to some guy, he punched you in the face, and you took your lumps. Times have changed, but I haven't -- much. So, I try to use the "I'm talking to a woman" rule as a good way to curb some of my more... let's say... histrionic forms of expression. It's not always easy, but it is possible.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

discussion - I need to address something within the group . . . C8485110

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Let me put it this way.

DISCLAIMER: If you're too God damn sensitive, then please leave this discussion thread now.

--

I'm not going to capitulate based on the whims or whines of say one overly sensitive individual.  I'm not going to change my attitude or necessarily the methods of how I convey my perspectives.  Sure.  I'll be open / receptive to differing viewpoints within reason.  I'm not necessarily one to lodge a grievance by indicating that individual is making me uncomfortable and/or I find the tone of that discussion of the group to be so and so and negative and I'm going to go elsewhere.  If that is the case, then so be it.

As much as I too find issues with Facebook at times in such 1:6 discussion groups, I have the option to block such overly sensitive and disagreeable individuals so I don't have to see what they post let alone interact with them.  I wish such options are available in regular online groups as well.  It sure cuts down on the amount of God damn "snowflakes" that is visible.  HELL . . . I'm sure there some or many who block me for the same reasons.  It's best to ignore those you disagree with and/or just don't want to ever deal / interact with.

There are times when I'm very reasonable and receptive, but there are times when I see IMHO a self-serving overly sensitive viewpoint that seems to pushed down on others as if the needs of the one outweighs the needs of the many perspective.

With that said . . . perhaps I'll exercise my "snow flake" option and call it a day, week, or whatever?

NAH.

If anyone here don't care for / like, how and what I post . . . then please just IGNORE me.

Thank you.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Overreact much, DFC? If someone was trying to restrict your freedom of speech, sure, I can understand you would get upset, just like anyone else. But this way of doing it is uncalled for. And giving vent to one's fury is not a strength. But if you believe it is, you should change your screen name to Darth Force Chung.

I am very disappointed.

shazzdan

shazzdan
If we had more "look what I made" posts and less "look what you can buy" posts, the problem would go away. These kinds of threads are invariably positive because everyone appreciates the effort involved.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:If we had more "look what I made" posts and less "look what you can buy" posts, the problem would go away. These kinds of threads are invariably positive because everyone appreciates the effort involved.

There is certainly plenty of truth to that, but I think it misses the point. Given the realities of our hobby, and that not everyone has the time, patience, skill, or tools to make their own items, this will never be an exclusively or mostly "look what I made" community. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are very impressed with your creations, but relatively few of us can even try to follow in your footsteps. And since this is about what is available out there -- as boxed sets or parted out parts or tutorials and advice or merely inspiration, all that and the discussion thereof has a place here. While this may be a free online forum, the basic rules of decent social interaction apply. A modicum of civility is not too much to ask for from members, not to mention moderators. It should not matter whether the topic at hand is a hand-made creation or a mass-produced item.

shazzdan

shazzdan
I never asked for exclusivity. I asked for a better balance. Sometimes I log on here and there are no new posts except "New Products". I'd rather see something original like a kitbash or diorama.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:I never asked for exclusivity. I asked for a better balance. Sometimes I log on here and there are no new posts except "New Products".

Fair enough. But this forum is what we make it. I am sure plenty of us want to create more, but we don't have the time or energy (or skill, etc.). Perhaps reach out to others who create their own sixth-scale stuff and invite them to join. I would, if I knew them.

Andrew

Andrew
DeltaForceChung wrote:

I'm not going to capitulate based on the whims or whines of say one overly sensitive individual.  I'm not going to change my attitude or necessarily the methods of how I convey my perspectives.  

I know we've had our differences, but I love that statement. This new world of double talk, back patting and "withholding negative feedback for commercial reasons" is a world that's badly sick and taking outside for the last time with Ol' Yeller.

I'll be happy and positive, after all this is a HOBBY for FUN, but if someone sends me nasty crap through the post, or disrespects me in public, then, whether it makes people cry or not, there will be negativity.

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

Skippy

Shills are at the other end of the spectrum: extreme positivity!

In places like SSF, however, there's now a lot of negativity for negativity's sake.

Everyone with access to the net has a soap box, and you see the same posters trolling the same threads like it's their mission in life to make everyone depressed. Crying or Very sad

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Neither approach can be possibly correct all of the time, not to mention plenty of necessary nuance in-between. Without others' opinions, we would miss out on possible things we have overlooked, not to mention entirely different perspectives. And none of that obviates the need for basic civility.

When I read "It's best to ignore those you disagree with and/or just don't want to ever deal/interact with" and the like, I was reminded of a new term, echo-chamber. I read an article on echo-chambers that dealt with political discourse (the thesis was that many conservatives delude themselves by ignoring or dismissing all progressive opinions -- in fairness, this is an observation equally valid for plenty of progressives, who can be just as doctrinarian and intolerant along different vectors), which made the point that they get in the way of actual engagement, idea-exchange, and learning. The same would be true in this case.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Neither approach can be possibly correct all of the time, not to mention plenty of necessary nuance in-between. Without others' opinions, we would miss out on possible things we have overlooked, not to mention entirely different perspectives. And none of that obviates the need for basic civility.

When I read "It's best to ignore those you disagree with and/or just don't want to ever deal/interact with" and the like, I was reminded of a new term, echo-chamber. I read an article on echo-chambers that dealt with political discourse (the thesis was that many conservatives delude themselves by ignoring or dismissing all progressive opinions -- in fairness, this is an observation equally valid for plenty of progressives, who can be just as doctrinarian and intolerant along different vectors), which made the point that they get in the way of actual engagement, idea-exchange, and learning. The same would be true in this case.

The only honest approach is to be open to the good and the bad, and to criticise constructively.

But the shills and trolls will just belabour their view over and over as if it will succeed in recruiting converts.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:

The only honest approach is to be open to the good and the bad, and to criticise constructively.

But the shills and trolls will just belabour their view over and over as if it will succeed in recruiting converts.

You've been spending too much time over at the Freaks. Razz

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:You've been spending too much time over at the Freaks. Razz

That's very true. Very Happy

I had to give up on some subscribed threads because it was getting unhealthy! Mainly Disney Star Wars movie threads, because they seem to attract raving nutters. lol

If Darklord Dave heeds Sideshow's call to cut out unlicensed figures there will be less to keep me over there.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, from my understanding it'll only cut out the Chinese factory bootlegs, not the customs done in small numbers by individual artisans. But still... those bootlegs are a pretty significant portion of this hobby.

MarkEl

I’m all for candid and constructive criticism of vendors, products and my own work. I’ve found the online group aspect surprisingly difficult to navigate since coming into this hobby. What’s acceptable discourse and tone varies wildly between groups. Some are dogmatic, some purely visual, some cliquey, some very open, some narrow focused, some wide, some fanboys/apologists/gatekeepers, some uber critics. I would rather have harsh discourse (within reason, not scorching the Earth) than either no discourse or vapid interaction. This group is really a good balance of all things, and I’m really enjoying it..

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
To my mind, cost is a deciding factor in the lack of 'look what I made' posts. We can't all do builds like Shovelchop does. A lot of people relied on off the shelf parts to achieve the look they wanted. As the figures got more expensive, so, in turn, did the parts. You have to be pretty well heeled and dedicated to bash something that looks really good and has all the trick parts. Why do you think my Indiana Jones took so long!? I had to wait till I could afford all the parts I needed.

Back to the topic, and, to give balance to any forum, you have to have the good and the bad. People look to forums to guide them through what is out there. They need to know what their money will buy them and what is worth and not worth getting. If a certain manufacturer produces quality stuff and then it takes a noticeable dip, you have to make people aware of that as it could save them money.

I never blow smoke or soft soap, I call it as I see it. It may come across as blunt and I never mean any offense by what I say. If I like something I say so, if it pleases my eye you'll know. If I don't then I have to say something, I'm not going to be PC and try and nice it up, I have to give an honest opinion. My self edit is broken, it's a symptom of my Dyspraxia. I say what I feel at the time. Often, on reflection, I will apologise if anything I say is taken the wrong way.

I hope the moment you see a post by me it's not 'Here he goes again!', I do try and make it so it's not like that, but, I don't always get it right and will need a shove in the right direction on occasion.

Whew, that was a bit of a type

Normal service can now resume

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum