OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

3d printing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

13d printing Empty 3d printing Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:01 pm

Mr.Polarbear

Mr.Polarbear
Does anyone have some experiences with 3D printing? I thought I experiment a little with 3d printing, I could recreate brass or pewter hat plates that no longer exist. I tried converting a 2d file into a 3d file with mixed results. I still summited the design to the 3D service I will report back on how it turned out. Any help advice on how to work in this medium?

23d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Several members here have some experience with 3D printing -- gooboo, Tjolnir, Diana, and Ovy are those who come to mind, though I'm sure there are others who I've missed.

Here's gooboo's WIP thread:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2699-gooboo-s-wip-stuff-thread?highlight=gooboo

And here's Ovy's thread about his current 3D printing adventures:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3607-3d-printer-ovy-finally-got-one-three-1-6-chess-sets?highlight=3d+printer

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

33d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 am

Mr.Polarbear

Mr.Polarbear
Instead of posting a new thread I will update my 3d printing projects  here,  
This if my first time 3d printing,  overall I failed in achieving the desired result, I was trying to make a custom plate for my shako that will go on my 1/6 soldier. My skills in 3d printing designing is poor. Over all I learned a lot of lessons. I will continue to work on this shako plate till I get what I'm looking for,
3d printing Testin10

43d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:43 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I see what you were going for; hopefully, with a bit more reactive you’ll be able to pull out the details.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

3d printing C8485110

53d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:00 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Don't be too hard on yourself, it seems like it would be hard to get exact results when creating the files from scratch. Also, I think it can be difficult when dealing with fairly small items to get the right level of detail. Seems like the general shape is there but the relief detail didn't show up?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

63d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
from personal experience 3d printing and the first chapter of learning the ropes is 60% failure 30% hoping and cussing and a mere 10% "eureka but how the heck did i kade this?"

i use simplify3d, which is great btw with a filament based printer and solely pla as material.
the first lesson i had to learn the hard way is no matter what a model looks like from the outside you have to make it "solid" or else you'll end up with a mess of a print.
had a model of a fallout tv set in the making for about 13 hours and while i was asleep it reached the hollow part at hour 8, everything afterwards was a mixture of a giant blob and spider web.

when it comes to modeling from scratch i'm about as talented as a chimp throwing sticks at a car to make the engine work Wink but as silly as it sounds the windows 10 3d tool is actually useful for beginners like me. not only does it finalize the model at the end thus making it solid, you can cut it apart, work on a certain area and put it together afterwards.
i'm nowhere near the level it takes for blender or zbrush, but oddly enough i find it easier cutting away stuff from a general form than building things up from zero, if that makes sense. like chipping away from a stone block to make a statue.

when i gave my roadkill rodney from tmnt a try it took weeks and several cans of beer to finally transform simple geometric objects into the shape i was going for. for example to get an even cylinder i took a standard rod put a cone on top and let the program subtract the overlaying model. then i mirrored the object and put it together. the neck is the same object, again centered and merged plus once the head is on top it does look quite symmetrical.

sadly i'm not familiar with the source material your object originates from but you could always give thingiverse or yeggi a try, lots of good quality and free models to maybe even builld upon.
i guess as long as it's personal use and you don't charge any money for it there's no ill intend.

if by any chance the object is used in a recent game, i use nifskope to get certain models out of fallout titles for example, doesn't matter if its the full game or a single mod from nexusmods.you could then convert it into a stl or obj file.

lots of items in my fallout project where done this way.

hope this helps a little and remember failure when 3d printing is almost guaranteed, but the 10% you end up with a unique item for your collection make it up for tenfold.

73d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:21 am

Hellborn59

What kind of 3D printer are you using. I would guess on a resin printer put cant be 100 percent sure from picture.

Could you put your model up on screen in your computer and do a screen grab so I get a better understanding on what the item is supposed to look like.

Happy to help if I can.

83d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 pm

Mr.Polarbear

Mr.Polarbear
Hellborn59 wrote:What kind of 3D printer are you using. I would guess on a resin printer put cant be 100 percent sure from picture.

Could you put your model up on screen in your computer and do a screen grab so I get a better understanding on what the item is supposed to look like.

Happy  to help if I can.

unfortunately I do not own a Personal 3D printer, I used a 3rd party service "sculpteo" , I decided to just make the design, by embossing it by hand on a sheet of metal, thanks everyone of the suggestions, I will continue to experiment on 3D printing there is a world of possibilities.

93d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:12 am

Hellborn59

Mr.Polarbear wrote:
Hellborn59 wrote:What kind of 3D printer are you using. I would guess on a resin printer put cant be 100 percent sure from picture.

Happy  to help if I can.

unfortunately I do not own a Personal 3D printer, I used a 3rd party service "sculpteo" , I decided to just make the design, by embossing it by hand on a sheet of metal, thanks everyone of the suggestions, I will continue to experiment on 3D printing there is a world of possibilities.    

That explains why I not could figure out what printer it was. Wink

103d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:28 am

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
I’ve got a 3D printer that I’ve had not quite a year now. I was able to get decent prints off of it at first, but then unfortunately there were a few gantry screws that weren’t fully tight and loosened (always re-tighten factory bolts after assembly, which I didn’t know at the time) causing the whole bed to go out of alignment (and it’s the auto-leveling Creality CR6-SE! Lol!)  Since then I’ve got it decently dialed in except the Z step, at least I think, haha! I’ve got some replacement nozzles, better that supplied filament (PLA, I wish it was a resin printer), and a different bed plate and I’ll eventually swap them all out and give it another try.

I’m okay with 3d, haven’t really tried sculpting/modeling outside of importing vector images and extruding or beveling them. Most of the 3d work I do is either with text or extruding logos into shapes for animating. As far as the slicer, I use Cura with an early CR6-SE profile which I’m sure there’s an official release by now which may also help with some known issues. I know my machine also has has quite a few firmware updates as I’ve only done the first official update after launch.

I’ll get back into it here soon and hopefully be printing out some of my own scaled items. Just not sure how well the printer will print at such a smaller scale.

I’ll keep y’all posted...

113d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:41 am

Mr.Polarbear

Mr.Polarbear
collectorofmany wrote:I’ve got a 3D printer that I’ve had not quite a year now. I was able to get decent prints off of it at first, but then unfortunately there were a few gantry screws that weren’t fully tight and loosened (always re-tighten factory bolts after assembly, which I didn’t know at the time) causing the whole bed to go out of alignment (and it’s the auto-leveling Creality CR6-SE! Lol!)  Since then I’ve got it decently dialed in except the Z step, at least I think, haha! I’ve got some replacement nozzles, better that supplied filament (PLA, I wish it was a resin printer), and a different bed plate and I’ll eventually swap them all out and give it another try.

I’m okay with 3d, haven’t really tried sculpting/modeling outside of importing vector images and extruding or beveling them. Most of the 3d work I do is either with text or extruding logos into shapes for animating. As far as the slicer, I use Cura with an early CR6-SE profile which I’m sure there’s an official release by now which may also help with some known issues. I know my machine also has has quite a few firmware updates as I’ve only done the first official update after launch.

I’ll get back into it here soon and hopefully be printing out some of my own scaled items. Just not sure how well the printer will print at such a smaller scale.

I’ll keep y’all posted...

Please keep us posted, I would love to have my own 3d printer, but it's out of my budget

123d printing Empty Re: 3d printing Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:41 am

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
Sorry. I still have yet to touch my 3d printer. One of these days when I have more free time (HA!), I’m gonna take another crack at getting it back into shape.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum