OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Primer advice

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Primer advice Empty Primer advice Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am

MX-V

MX-V
Hi,
As I'm getting into repainting pvc heads and using blank pvc heads, I'm wanting to know what you all are using.
I looking for a spray paint primer for pvc, thin enough so it won't cover details.
In other words, not a generic thick automotive bumper paint.
I heard Duplo has a good one, but please let me know.
Thank you,
Mark

2Primer advice Empty Re: Primer advice Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
When i first started painting my 3d prints a couple of years ago, i bought some transparent primer from citadel in a comics store. Sadly i havent found any since but the store i was buying it from had some black colored alternatively.

The original one might be around still, havent been looking actively though since normal spray paint seems to stick to my printed stuff just as well.

The good thing about the transparent primer was the fact that it dryed up very quickly and didnt obstruct any details. In fact,before getting used to it, i had to check twice and only really could tell by touching the surface with some rubber gloves, feeling where it was tacky from the primer.

3Primer advice Empty Re: Primer advice Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't use primer or coating (even matte coating often looks too shiny), which might explain why my repaints are rather fragile. Sad

4Primer advice Empty Re: Primer advice Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
I have absolutely fallen in love with the Vallejo primers, especially if you’re like me and use an airbrush. You can get them in several colors to match what your doing, and they hold details very well in my, albeit, limited experience. Primer advice 246c7510

5Primer advice Empty Re: Primer advice Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Like MeMyself&I, I use Vallejo primers. Though I don't do spray, but rather brush-on. 

Of all the Vallejo primers I've tried so far, the grey and the black gloss primers are my favourite. But any of them can work, depending on what you need. 

That being said, I tend to only use primers when working on a completely blank sculpt or a resin sculpt. If I'm just painting over an existing factory paintjob on a plastic headsculpt, I usually just forgo the primer altogether. Unless you're planning to be really rough with the headsculpt afterward, usually painting directly onto the plastic is sufficient. 

Just my experience though!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum