OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Chung Kim

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1RIP Chung Kim Empty RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:29 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Kit Chen just posted these sad news on facebook where he was his moderator and friend.
I think he was here named DeltaForceChung and some other account later on. Some knew him before and from other sites.

2RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:44 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is terrible news for those of us that knew him for many years. It had been awhile since I heard from him, so this saddens me greatly. RIP, my friend. I will miss him for sure.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

RIP Chung Kim C8485110

3RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 pm

csyeung

csyeung
Very sad news. I would often chuckle at the posts he would make on OSK. He got me to engage more in that group for sure. I will miss him. RIP Chung Kim.

4RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:40 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
RIP DFC: it's very sad day, indeed I will miss him too.

5RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:39 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Rest in Peace.
A unique character from what little I knew of him.

6RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is incredibly sad news. DFC was one of our Founding Fathers, an old friend, and a wealth of knowledge, practical advice, and exuberant (if often off-color) humor. I know he had been struggling with some issues of late, but had no idea that his health was on the line (if that is what did it). And while he might not have been present in these parts for various reasons, knowing he is no longer out there feels like an opened void. And a reminder, that we should appreciate people while we have them around.
Rest in Peace, Chung!

7RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:35 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Not sure what happened to him. Chung was a fairly private person in real life, and the last time we talked thru email he said he hadn’t been feeling well. I know very little else except what Kit relayed to me after he tried to reach out via phone to Chung himself when Chung’s dad answered the phone. I won’t say anymore than that, as it’s not my place. I’m just at a loss…

He who dies with the most toys wins!

RIP Chung Kim C8485110

8RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:33 am

ahbake

Oh man, just got the news over at the Freaks Boards... I only knew him from 1/6 boards (I think I first "met" him at the OneSixthCollectors Boards -if that was the name-) and he always struck me as a man who knew his stuff in 1/6, and always had some insider info, or cautionary tales from days past...
He did seem very grumpy the last few months I saw him active over at the Freaks Boards, but he'll be missed.
It's sad to lose people you have "known" for so long in these boards.

9RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:13 am

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I first met Chung on the Men With Dolls message board back in 2002 which was popular with Cy/Cool Girl collectors at the time.   It turned out that he only lived 15-20 minutes away.   We took the first of what would be many road trips together to Orlando for MegaCon in either 2002 or 2003.  I don’t remember which.   Before long, we were going 3-4 times a year:  MegaCon, the FX Toy Show, and a trip or two just to go on a mega toy hunt.

Chung was always a polarizing personality on 1/6 message boards.  He could be cantankerous and confrontational, often leaving (or even being suspended) for months at a time.   Whether you liked him or not, every time he left, there was a void.   Chungs’s enthusiasm, unparalleled knowledge of the hobby, and sense of humor drove those boards.  They were never as alive without him as they were with him.

However, I also knew a different Chung.   In person, he was a joy to be around.  He was always a gentleman and one of the most pleasant and kindest people you could hope to meet.  My daughters adored him.  One of my fondest memories is when he came over to the house one afternoon bearing a box full of Bratz dolls for my girls.  Some thought of him as hoarder, but I knew the real Chung.  He was a kind and generous man.

Over time, life changed as life always does.  I lost interest in 1/6, and online shopping had made traveling to conventions and brick and mortar shops somewhat redundant.  On one of the of the last times I saw him in person, I bequeathed my 1/6 collection to him.  I had done some popular photo stories on Men With Dolls, so a lot of those figures had their own distinct personalities and histories.  I couldn’t just throw them on eBay.   I thought I was done with that chapter of my toy collecting life, but I’ll never forget what he said to me at the time:  I’m only keeping these for you until you’re ready to come back.”

Several years went by.  We would exchange e-mails a couple of times a year saying that we needed to have lunch or dinner sometime and catch up, but we both had busy schedules, and it never materialized.   Then, last year, I found myself back in the world of 1/6 again, and we started exchanging e-mails much more frequently.   The last time we talked was early in May.  He asked if I would be willing to help him organize his offsite storage bay and in return he would treat me to dinner.  Of course I would have treated HIM to dinner for that experience.   Can you imagine?  After twenty-five years of collecting, that offsite storage bay must have been the Smithsonian of 1/6.  I told him “Anytime!  Just let me know when you’re ready!”  Sadly, it never came to be.

When I read the subject line this morning, my heart dropped.  I hoped against hope that the thread had been started by Chung himself as he always had a flair for the dramatic and often either left or returned to the forums reinventing himself in some way.  However, i only had to read the first post to realize that it was all too real.

I’ve been trough this far too many times before.  Today I’m very sad and wondering how the hell I’m going to maintain my composure at our family get together this afternoon.  I’m going to see my oldest daughter, and all I’m going to be able to think about is those Bratz dolls.  However, I know that time will heal, and when I think of Chung, I’ll smile and remember him for all of the good times we had, both online and in person.

10RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Oh noo! Sad I didn’t know him well at all but he was a staple on the 1/6 boards I’ve been on over the years. Sad

11RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:23 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for that moving tribute to Chung, Xavion. Even those of us who knew him for a long time online, and who dealt with him outside of forums (though still remotely) have little insight and much less perspective on the real Chung; so much more so those who only experienced his flamboyantly abrasive online persona (the rationale for which remains a mystery to me). As with any loss of this kind, the pain of sadness will hopefully give way to the melancholy comfort of good memories -- and you have plenty of these. Thank you for sharing some of them.

12RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:46 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh no, what awful news to come here and see today. Even if I didn't always get along with DFC, his presence will be missed. He had true passion for the hobby, and even during his most critical or cynical moments, that much definitely shone through. I'm so upset for everyone who was close to him -- it is such a surreal feeling to lose someone you knew well online. It leaves you feeling so adrift. And Xavion, how tragic you didn't get to see him again....I'm so sorry.  RIP Chung Kim 1f494

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

13RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Rest in Peace.

Definitely someone that left their mark in the hobby though I never interacted with him (at least I don't remember) , I would always read his posts at OSW whenever I would go there, he seemed quite knowledgeable and passionate about the hobby and someone that seemed to find information about different situations that arose. My condolences to his family and friends and those who knew him more personally.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! RIP Chung Kim 1f60e

14RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for that moving tribute to Chung, Xavion. Even those of us who knew him for a long time online, and who dealt with him outside of forums (though still remotely) have little insight and much less perspective on the real Chung; so much more so those who only experienced his flamboyantly abrasive online persona (the rationale for which remains a mystery to me). As with any loss of this kind, the pain of sadness will hopefully give way to the melancholy comfort of good memories -- and you have plenty of these. Thank you for sharing some of them.

It was often difficult for me to reconcile his online persona with the person I knew in real life.  When he would go on one of his “scorched earth” tirades, I could do little more than shake my head and wonder “Why?”.  I always wanted others to know what a good person he truly was, and that’s even more important to me now that he’s gone.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh no, what awful news to come here and see today. I know I didn't always get along with DFC, but his presence will nonetheless be missed. He had true passion for the hobby, and even during his most critical or cynical moments, that much definitely shone through. I'm so upset for everyone who was close to him -- it is such a surreal feeling to lose someone you knew well online. It leaves you feeling so adrift. And Xavion, how tragic you didn't get to see him again....I'm so sorry.  RIP Chung Kim 1f494

Thank you, Sky.  If I have any regrets, it’s that I wasn’t more persistent in setting a time and a place for us to meet up.  It would be one thing if he lived half way across the country, but he lived closer to me than the office building that I drive to three days a week.  Obviously the pandemic played into that as it’s only been a few months since things have been truly back to normal, but it’s a sad reminder that we don’t always have as much time as we think we do.

15RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:16 am

brassco

brassco
oh no! a legend is lost...

I remembered he posted a picture of his warehouse keeping all his 1/6th figures (couldn't find where he posted the picture), and he mentioned he would purchased 6 of each figures: 1 for display, 1 for stripping, and other reasons i couldn't remembered. I wonder if these figures will be gone with him...

Oh, did the covid get him?

RIP

16RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:06 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Xavion2004 wrote:

Thank you, Sky.  If I have any regrets, it’s that I wasn’t more persistent in setting a time and a place for us to meet up.

You are not the only one with some regrets. Here is the post from Kit on fb for all those without social media

RIP Chung Kim Kim_ch10

So yeah, reminder to all, don'T wait to long with things you want to do in life and value friends. Even if we all know, everyday life can be a swamp.

17RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:56 am

blackpool

blackpool
that's a really sad news. Thoughts to his family and friends

18RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:25 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
This is very sad. Since I started collecting 1/6 figures around 2008, I've been reading DFC's comment on various forums. He has been some kind of "constant factor" for me in this hobby, even though I disagreed with a lot of his views on figure collecting. He will be missed in this community.

19RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for sharing, Valiarde (and Kit).

20RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:42 pm

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
Like so many said here: he was a jerk, an ass, and an opinionated butthead. We bumped heads a lot, more so recently over the last year, and he rubbed people the wrong way a lot and got the occasional side glance. He was a defender of Traid Toys even when the ship was sunk and at the bottom of the ocean. You weren't the greatest of contributors to deal with, but you were still a fellow collector. R.I.P Chung

21RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:52 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Well, that is unfortunate. I knew him from the Men with Dolls and one Sixth Warrior forums, but my interactions with him were rather limited. I do wonder if his hostility in recent years had something to do with his failing health, because I dont recall him starting out that way. Or he just became jaded and cynical after years in the hobby- Alas, we will never know......

22RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
ZeroDelta wrote:Well, that is unfortunate. I knew him from the Men with Dolls and one Sixth Warrior forums, but my interactions with him were rather limited. I do wonder if his hostility in recent years had something to do with his failing health, because I dont recall him starting out that way. Or he just became jaded and cynical after years in the hobby- Alas, we will never know......

Chung was always mercurial online.  He was like the Roddy Piper of 1/6.  Piper could go from beloved face to despised heel overnight and vice versa.  Of course Roddy was an incredibly gifted performer.  What drove Chung to such extremes will always remain a mystery to me.  The only thing I can tell you is that in person, I never…not once…saw even a hint of the volatility and hostility he displayed online.  I spent enough time around him that I would have seen it at some point.  Even someone on their best behavior is going to show some cracks eventually if they’re hiding their true nature.

23RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:59 pm

DJ

DJ
sad news. I remember him back from the old "Sandbox" days when things were just starting out in 1/6 action figures.

24RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

brassco

brassco
can someone send this link to his family to let them know how much Chung's being missed online?

25RIP Chung Kim Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
brassco wrote:can someone send this link to his family to let them know how much Chung's being missed online?
Well, certain outbursts of meanness even under such circumstances might have to be edited out first. I have no contact with Chung's family.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum