OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I've been in the works for months, building little details and making the paintings, but finally finished my Colossus the painter photoshoot.

When I started working on my custom X-Men figures, the intention was always to steer away from the costumes.  And while there are often a few nods to their iconic colors, I mostly wanted to go with the casual clothes I'd imagine them wearing.  So when I started Colossus, some paint stained overalls seemed the obvious choice.  Custom brushes, paint tubes, easel and paint covered palette seemed like they'd be great accessories, and fun to make.  As the idea for some photos of him painted started forming, I made a pile of scattered sketches, and a few painting, finished and unfinished, printed and transferred to real canvasses. Psylocke seemed the ideal model.

Hopefully nothing too risque for anyone here.

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0640_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0651_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0655_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0659_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0663_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0668_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0667_orig

#superhero #custom #diorama #film #xmen #male #female

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done! Very nice and evocative scene, as usual with your creations.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
THAT. IS. AWESOME!!! Love all the attention to details, and the "paintings" are incredibly beautiful. You're right, Psylocke makes a perfect model. So cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot C8485110

onesixthwarrior

onesixthwarrior
This is truly beautiful! I've seen very few artist studios done in 1/6th over the years, and this is the most detailed. Nice vignette with the artist and model.

Allotropos

Allotropos
Awesomesause..like a page right out of the comic books !

dadrab

dadrab
Rev., call me "blown away."

That's a wonderful vignette wrought with delicious detail.

I'd have never thought of that in 1,000 years. Really glad you did, because I'm richer for it.

Thanks for showing us, brah.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you guys so much! I'm really proud of this one, and I'm so glad you dig it. I got to learn a bunch putting it together, and had to up my photoshop game making the paintings. The paintings and sketches were all actually photos of figures, reworked in photoshop, and printed. The X-23 painting in the background actually came out really good, so I may have to get a few more shots with it.

Ephiane

Ephiane
This is a Masterpiece. The Background with all the details, the natural Poses, the Humor. Love it. There is much potential in Hero Characters by doing funny things. I hope to see more of that in the future. Thanks for showing !

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I meant to ask, is this Colossus "the Steel"?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ephiane wrote:This is a Masterpiece. The Background with all the details, the natural Poses, the Humor. Love it. There is much potential in Hero Characters by doing funny things. I hope to see more of that in the future. Thanks for showing !

Thanks so much Ephiane! I was really excited to share this one here.

Along those lines, if anyone on here is on Instagram, and are looking for something along the lines of what Ephiane said, check out Avengergram. It' all comics done with 1/6 superhero figures, and usually damn funny.

GubernatorFan wrote:I meant to ask, is this Colossus "the Steel"?

It is! I was a bit disappointed the silver on the body is only on the exposed sections, but other than that, it's a great figure. I definitely could do with a few more hands, but I suppose the manufacturer never intended for him to hold a paint brush.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:It is! I was a bit disappointed the silver on the body is only on the exposed sections, but other than that, it's a great figure.  I definitely could do with a few more hands, but I suppose the manufacturer never intended for him to hold a paint brush.

I've been looking at reviews of that figure, and am pretty impressed. But yes, these smaller companies don't usually give you a whole lot in the way of extras and customization options. Hence the fewer hands and limited coloring/patterning on the body.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:It is! I was a bit disappointed the silver on the body is only on the exposed sections, but other than that, it's a great figure.  I definitely could do with a few more hands, but I suppose the manufacturer never intended for him to hold a paint brush.

I've been looking at reviews of that figure, and am pretty impressed. But yes, these smaller companies don't usually give you a whole lot in the way of extras and customization options. Hence the fewer hands and limited coloring/patterning on the body.

Yeah, VERY minor gripes.  And I can't hold it against the manufacturer that it wasn't designed for my ideal custom.  And at 15" tall, for around 1/2 of what HT is charging for Thanos, I more than appreciate what they delivered for the price.

Although if they did do the full body silver, with the sculpted lines, I'd have been very temped by a photoshoot with the comic style bright red speedos, but with a big bold hammer and sickle on the junk.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Rev, your work is a stroke of genius! The costumes (or lack of it in Betsy's case...), the painting accessories, artworks, furniture, the poses! I keep looking at the background to figure out what's 2d and what's 3d!

ReverendSpooky wrote:
It is! I was a bit disappointed the silver on the body is only on the exposed sections, but other than that, it's a great figure. I definitely could do with a few more hands, but I suppose the manufacturer never intended for him to hold a paint brush.

Psylocke's practically naked there but here i am wondering what Colossus's body looks like... i can't find pics of the steel body online. So you mean the upper torso is "steel" while its flesh plastic from the waist down?

Oh the open right hand is perfect actually! Its like when the artist steps back to behold his work.

If i was painting Psylocke... i'd have to keep reminding myself that she's a TELEPATH... especially since she has her psychic knife powered up!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
rollotomasi wrote:Rev, your work is a stroke of genius! The costumes (or lack of it in Betsy's case...), the painting accessories, artworks, furniture, the poses! I keep looking at the background to figure out what's 2d and what's 3d!

Thanks so much Rollotomasi, and so glad to see you over here!  And besides the printed paintings, should be pretty much all 3d props (even the brick is carved).

rollotomasi wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
It is! I was a bit disappointed the silver on the body is only on the exposed sections, but other than that, it's a great figure.  I definitely could do with a few more hands, but I suppose the manufacturer never intended for him to hold a paint brush.

Psylocke's practically naked there but here i am wondering what Colossus's body looks like... i can't find pics of the steel body online. So you mean the upper torso is "steel" while its flesh plastic from the waist down?

Lol.  If only I had a gif of a winking Colossus.

It's actually all a black plastic.  The upper torso is (thankfully) all the silver steel, and the belly area and everything below are jet black.  I've been very tempted to take a crack at carving the lines in myself, and painting it silver, but think I'll resist, and Colossus can just keep his pants on.

rollotomasi wrote:Oh the open right hand is perfect actually! Its like when the artist steps back to behold his work.

If i was painting Psylocke... i'd have to keep reminding myself that she's a TELEPATH... especially since she has her psychic knife powered up!

Ah, so glad the hand looks right!  That was definitely the impression I was going for.  I tried to repose it a bit with hot water, but couldn't get too drastic a difference.  

And I can't believe I didn't even consider the pitfalls of painting a telepath under those circumstance!  I think Colossus must be trying very hard to paint and think of baseball at the same time.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
ReverendSpooky wrote:I've been in the works for months, building little details and making the paintings, but finally finished my Colossus the painter photoshoot.

When I started working on my custom X-Men figures, the intention was always to steer away from the costumes.  And while there are often a few nods to their iconic colors, I mostly wanted to go with the casual clothes I'd imagine them wearing.  So when I started Colossus, some paint stained overalls seemed the obvious choice.  Custom brushes, paint tubes, easel and paint covered palette seemed like they'd be great accessories, and fun to make.  As the idea for some photos of him painted started forming, I made a pile of scattered sketches, and a few painting, finished and unfinished, printed and transferred to real canvasses. Psylocke seemed the ideal model.

Hopefully nothing too risque for anyone here.

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0640_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0651_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0655_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0659_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0663_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0668_orig

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Img-0667_orig

--

HOLY $%^& SNACKS!

Does Kitty know?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
DeltaForceChung wrote:HOLY $%^& SNACKS!

Does Kitty know?

Lol. Thanks DFC. You know, if I could figure out a clever way to do a phicen Kitty Pryde, she'd have been my first choice. As it stands, Kitty just needs to understand, you date an artist, this is something you just have to be ok with. If there's anyone on that team you could trust to be on good behavior, it's definitely Colossus.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very impressive, great job, luv all the little details!

blackpool

blackpool
very cool set up, that's always fun and refreshing to see "heroes" doing something more daily than saving the world lol

awesome work!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very impressive, great job, luv all the little details!

Thanks so much BadWolf! I get obsessed with making all the accessories, and once I get momentum there's just no going back.

blackpool wrote:very cool set up, that's always fun and refreshing to see "heroes" doing something more daily than saving the world lol

awesome work!

Thanks Blackpool! Yeah, that's always been my favorite part of super hero comics and movies. The human sides of the characters, and those traits, outside of the action, that kinda define them. One of the best scenes in Age of Ultron was the one with with the Avengers sitting around, drinking and trying to lift Thor's hammer. Marvel has always excelled at telling those stories.

Kukolka

Kukolka
Much love of the concept and photoset! You date an artist and yes the models are part of the package, but you also get a lot of passion. ^^

Diorama - Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot Kukr7s10
https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum