OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZombieKev

I always wanted a figure of Chow Yun Fat as he appeared in the Replacement Killers movie. The only accurate headsculpt from that time period was City Hero's, but it's far too soft and outdated now.  Attempts to use that failed.  I finally tried the Loading Toys Faris sculpt.  Its likeness is so-so, but the sculpting is at least up to modern standards.  Primarily this was a challenge of my sculpting skills around hair.

Here's the original head (photo courtesy of Monkeydepot). I must say, this photo makes the head look better than it is.  Real paint apps have less depth.
Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments GHL0030-2

1) Sanded off orig hair, sculpted on some new hair.  Shaded & touched up face paint app, esp around eyes (NOTE: This is bad form. You really should wait until the sculpting is done to repaint). Was important to me that the hair to look natural and not just crude lines cut in clay. I think I was more successful with one side than the other.
Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments 02_chowyunfat_head_replacementkillers

2) Added front of hair.  Had to do twice as first time too poufy.
Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments 03_chowyunfat_head_replacementkillers

3) Painted up.
Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments 04_chowyunfat_head_replacementkillers
Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments 05_chowyunfat_head_replacementkillers

Thanks for looking.

kyekye

kyekye
Looks spot on!
give him sunglasses and pistol!
The last pic head looks elongated than ones above. Probably lens distortion?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent work, thanks for sharing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice work. Looks spot on. Improved paint work makes it shine.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Chow Yun Fat in The Replacement Killers - Hair Sculpting Experiments C8485110

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work !

dadrab

dadrab
Those are well done pieces of sculpting and painting.

The improvement to the overall sculpt is astounding.

ZombieKev

Thanks very much, guys!

Kyekye - Yes, good eye. My iphone distorts things at certain distances/angles.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
That came out great! Looks spot on man. Very cool.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Very nicely done!

CHEERS!

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Fantastic work, zombiekev!
Did you repaint the whole face and neck? Or just touched up the forehead and the neck connector?

ZombieKev

rollotomasi wrote:Fantastic work, zombiekev!
Did you repaint the whole face and neck? Or just touched up the forehead and the neck connector?

Thanks, Rollo! I shaded and detailed the whole face, but did not do a full repaint. The base skin color was fine and has those airbrush freckles that are hard to do with a regular brush. I basically gave him the equivalent of a makeup job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum