OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Experimenting to great effect! He just needs a furry hat and a cloak in that wintry climate, lol.

LOL Very true... I think he was huddled up in a makeshift tent and when he woke up, it had snowed! He was awakened by the sound of footsteps crunching into the snow and rushed out sword in hand to confront the potential intruder. That's why he forgot his helmet and other stuff! Besides, he's too much man to let a little bit of cold bother him. Smile

Really, I hadn't downloaded any photos on the new computer yet, and that was the first Microsoft Sign-In screen photo that I happened to find on it that was at all suitable.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

skywalkersaga

LOL! Well, the backstory/explanation works for me. Very Happy 

It really does look good though, and I'll be curious to see other backdrops as well. .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sky's kind concern got him a makeshift cloak, and this time he didn't forget his helmet, as he tried to explore some ruins before sunset... (yes, I know about light direction, but we're trying to show a figure, you know... Smile )

warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Conane23

warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Conane24

Nekk-ra

Another great custom, GubernatorFan. You really have a great eye for mixing parts from different figures together to create a brand new whole. Of course, then I end searching for some of these parts while my wallet calls me inappropriate names. Oh well.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nekk-ra wrote:Another great custom, GubernatorFan. You really have a great eye for mixing parts from different figures together to create a brand new whole. Of course, then I end searching for some of these parts while my wallet calls me inappropriate names. Oh well.

Thank you very much, Nekk-ra, I'm glad you liked it. And if it inspires you to make your own kitbashes by stocking up on parts, I wish you well and apologize for any stress to your wallet. Seems like one has to keep an eye out and pounce on the rare deals (or no deals but items one really "has" to have). In my experience, helmets, swords, and sometimes boots tend to command the heftiest prices (the sword here was from an inexpensive letter-opener, thanks to shazzdan for showcasing it), the other items are often affordable enough to buy more than one at a time. This does influence what I buy and what I have available or have to make myself (as do various other factors), but sometimes some pieces just call out to you, right? Wink

Ovy

Ovy
No love? Like the Skywalker, I saw this for the first time today.
Fortunately this is not Instagram and the post won't be drowned in the new feed as quickly. Razz

Always nice to see some fantasy leatherwork,  that two coloured sandy brown vest is great and looks very universally useable. With bare manly arms in the cold or some hot sandy arena pit, I am sure it serves him well. 
What I like about the footwear, it covers the ankle joint, but still does not hide the toes.

An yes, soldier story has many nice unique headsculpts.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's gorgeous! And I'm not getting so cold from looking at him now. Laughing

The backdrop works really, really well, imo. Not sure if it's meant to depict a real place, but it resembles a fantasy-ized version of Dinas Bran...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Always nice to see some fantasy leatherwork,  that two coloured sandy brown vest is great and looks very universally useable. With bare manly arms in the cold or some hot sandy arena pit, I am sure it serves him well. 
What I like about the footwear, it covers the ankle joint, but still does not hide the toes.

An yes, soldier story has many nice unique headsculpts.

Thank you very much. My leatherwork cannot compete with that of some others (not least yours or the fantasy world of Ephiane), but I think it (almost) makes do for this character. The vest is loosely based on an ancient Greek cuirass, but in leather (supposedly there were some of those around, too). I wish the back part of the footwear didn't stick out as much (should have made a bigger cut out, probably), but otherwise I agree completely. In fact, believe it or not, I was thinking about you and your hatred of the few remaining exposed joints on TBLeague figures, when putting this together. Which is not to say I endeavored to cover all of them. But when I posted the penultimate photo above, I noticed the light had just hit that part of the body, and I thought to myself "Oh no, Ovy will see and hate that!" But then I resigned myself to my fate and placed my trust in knowing you are a better man than that. Smile
Soldier Story, DAM, and MiniTimes are among my favorite companies when it comes to head sculpts from parted-out sets. Of course Hot Toys can achieve an even better quality and sometimes a better likeness, but with them we're pretty much stuck with big-name actors; nor are they infallible.  

skywalkersaga wrote:That's gorgeous! And I'm not getting so cold from looking at him now. Laughing

The backdrop works really, really well, imo. Not sure if it's meant to depict a real place, but it resembles a fantasy-ized version of Dinas Bran...

Thank you, I'm very glad you liked it. And see how your wish is my command. Smile With the exception of the occasional Star Wars backdrop, all my backgrounds are of real places or things -- whether printed or projected on the computer screen. I didn't catch or look up the name of this castle, but it is a real set of ruins somewhere in Europe (I think). The first one with this kitbash (with the gate tower) is on the Black Sea. Which is my excuse as for why the kitbashed warrior is so (relatively) neat and clean. He had just been washed... on an empty beach (cue U2 lyrics and tunes)... Smile The three background images in recent photos are all from the Microsoft sign-in screens.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's great they are real places -- even though it's a fantasy 'bash, still nice to see! Smile

Ovy

Ovy
Now that you say it, yes, Hot Toys is bound to portray known actors. I mean, Soldier Story does actors too, but in a slightly different way. That Jake Gyllenhaal from End of Watch comes to mind. Who is not really Jake Gyllenhaal from End of Watch but a NYPD dog handler or something.

Hah and don't fear that I might come around the corner once you don't cover a joint. But I grew up in a world of seamless bodies so I might be a bit spoiled.

I really like that fur coat, the color completes the outfit.

By the way, I am sure he 'borrowed' his blade from some elf?

About the second castle:
warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Rocca-calascio-castello

It's Rocca Calascio in Italy.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocca_Calascio

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh crap! How did I miss these?! I like your new character, Ian. Very cool. Nice job on all the clothing. The new fur looks good for your winter background. That head sculpt works perfectly for that pseudo fantasy/historical time period.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
GubernatorFan wrote:A couple more photos. Experimenting with my new computer and screen...
That's a good use of the Orcrist keychain. It has a fair bit of weight so you need a figure with good arm and hand joints.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Hah and don't fear that I might come around the corner once you don't cover a joint. But I grew up in a world of seamless bodies so I might be a bit spoiled.

I really like that fur coat, the color completes the outfit. By the way, I am sure he 'borrowed' his blade from some elf?

About the second castle: It's Rocca Calascio in Italy.

Lucky you, grew up in a world of seamless bodies, did you? Smile

The fur is not strictly speaking new. I had it lying around for reasons I forget, but I believe it has seen action before. For example here
warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Viking10

and here (sorry about the image quality... it's Bronze Age!)
warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Thep0510

The sword (from a keychain letter-opener) is supposed to be from Lord of the Rings, but (if I recall correctly) belonged to Theoden, the king of Rohan.

And thank you for figuring out what actual castle this was. Did you just happen to know that or do you have ways to summon magic?

Stryker2011 wrote:Oh crap! How did I miss these?! I like your new character, Ian. Very cool. Nice job on all the clothing. The new fur looks good for your winter background. That head sculpt works perfectly for that pseudo fantasy/historical time period.

Thank you very much, Mark! Glad you like it. About the "new" fur, please see my response above -- just repurposing something you have seen before. Glad you agree about the suitability of the head sculpt. I think it is almost like the "Viking" sculpt they did for a modern urban PMC (or whatever it was).

shazzdan wrote:That's a good use of the Orcrist keychain. It has a fair bit of weight so you need a figure with good arm and hand joints.

Thank you very much, and for drawing my attention to it in the first place. Funny you should mention it, in certain poses, the sword would cause the hand sculpt to turn around its axis; since it was doing it fairly slowly, I was trying to snap the photo before it became too apparent; but in the end I was able to find a few positions where the weapon balanced well enough to stay static.[/quote]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Conane25

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
He killed the puppy!  Sad Crying or Very sad  

LOL, jk... but still.... why u hurt the cute widdle puppeh. Razz Razz Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Poor, poor, Anubis. This guy is just mean.

warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:He killed the puppy!  Sad Crying or Very sad  LOL, jk... but still.... why u hurt the cute widdle puppeh. Razz Razz Razz

Stryker2011 wrote:Poor, poor, Anubis. This guy is just mean.

Well, it goes something like this... "Puppy," as he is endearingly (or perhaps sarcastically) known to his "friends" is not the real, benevolent god Anubis, but an impostor, a rabid murderous Anubite that lays in wait for unsuspecting passers-by in caves and ruins, ambushes them, and shreds them to pieces just to satisfy his insatiable lust for blood and gore. But our man Manfred possessed just the right amount of caution, skill, and fast reflexes (or was it just luck) to slay the hellish fiend and triumph over evil... once again... The real Anubis will now get to see the murderous impostor get judged and punished for his crimes in the Afterlife.

See here:

"Rejoice, Anubis, thy honor has been avenged!"
warrior - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 5 Conane26

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, well he can be forgiven in this instance. ;D

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Fitting end. How sad is it that the statue’s head is bigger than the one that came with the figure...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:Fitting end. How sad is it that the statue’s head is bigger than the one that came with the figure...

I noticed the same thing, so crazy!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Aww, well he can be forgiven in this instance. ;D

Stryker2011 wrote:Fitting end. How sad is it that the statue’s head is bigger than the one that came with the figure...

skywalkersaga wrote:I noticed the same thing, so crazy!

I'm glad you approve, and that our hero's character has been vindicated. And I noticed the head thing too, although the TBLeague head is a lot closer to realistic (or at least a compromise between realism and stylized Egyptian art).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum