OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81

Thought he'd be one of the simpler Dwarves to make but nope, loads of detail needed the closer I looked. I gave him a slightly more pronounced left eye inspired by one of the pics I saw of him that gives him a bit more character especially as he can't speak and tends to ramble in an ancient Dwarvish dialect due to the injury of the axe in his head (I modified one of Peter's sculpts for this then opted to give him real hair for his beard, braids and head). I did quite a bit of sewing on this one, sculpted a lot of parts and had to hand weave loads of little bits of leather into hemp sacking as well as plenty of different materials to braid.

Bifur's Story:

"Whilst he was a descendant of the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, Bifur was not of Durin's Folk. Most of his familial relations are unclear, and what is known of his parentage is very little. He and his family were driven out of their home in the Lonely Mountain by the Dragon Smaug, and were forced to live in exile, where the Dwarf warrior worked as a toy maker. Following Thorin II Oakenshield to a new life in the Blue Mountains, he continued his life as a toy maker.
Quest to EreborEdit
The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-Bifur

Bifur as portrayed in The Hobbit film trilogy.

Answering Thorin Oakenshield's Quest of Erebor, he went to the meeting at Bag End with his cousins Bofur and Bombur, where he played the clarinet. On the quest, he was nearly cooked on a spit by trolls and nearly killed by Goblins, Wargs, Stone giants, Great Spiders, and the dragon Smaug himself. A valiant and brave warrior, Bifur never gave up, and fought in the Battle of Five Armies with all his strength, killing numerous enemies. In the fallout of the great battle, Dain II Ironfoot gave him his share of the treasure, and he retired to live at the Lonely Mountain.
Bifur is played by William Kircher in Peter Jackson's Hobbit films. The studio released the following statement about Bifur:

"Born in the West, Bifur has the rusting remains of an Orc axe embedded in his forehead, which has rendered him inarticulate and occasionally feisty! He communicates only​ with Khuzdul and hand gestures. Unlike most of the others in The Company of Dwarves, Bifur is not related to Thorin, nor is he of noble lineage, but rather is descended from miners and smithies – simple folk with simple tastes."

In The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies- Extended Edition, Bifur loses the axe in his head when he strikes an attacking Orc with a head-butt and knocks his foe off a cliff, although Bofur and Bombur manage to haul him back to safety.

According to The History of The Hobbit by John Rateliff, in the never completed third revision of The Hobbit, Bifur, along with Bofur and Bombur were to become something like an Honour-guard to Thorin. Such a change is already supported in several places of the book, including the fact that Bifur, Bofur and Bombur all arrive at Bag End at the same time as Thorin, and that they climb into the same tree as him when the company is attacked by Wargs and Orcs. "

Reference pics:

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. ZmW70NT

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. IDia9nr

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. 1rk0E2h

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. ZKeoVZG

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. FaS3or9

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. AGwtbvA

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. V2Itka2

My Bifur:

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. S1CI5TG

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. XJ9mBWs

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. 4c8oMx7

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. PCdPIYC

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. Z3FggkF

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. FZNqrSp

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. LK65ygo

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. QlPh3kL

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. RyiyqtR

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. GB4bJ3M

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. UJhbjlk

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. QDjsO9J

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. DJoTcay

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. 8qJOoRd

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. R4DMlJj

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. 758mH9I

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. BxJCOlH

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. CeP18n4

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. Ss6YpLk

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. Pd1eMag

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. Xk9rElp

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. QhRh0Cc

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. VyB1ne2

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. PMb7l6n

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. OgnN0nx

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. Tdfu8Ml

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. 96G0mAD

peter the painter

Alex, I don't like your Dwarfs, Bifur especially, I LOVE THEM! , incredibly good work on them all, many thanks for sharing their development with us, a pleasure to see, looking forward to your next figure project.

Cheers,

Peter.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another beautifully completed character joins the quest! Well done!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That turned out great. And seeing the company come together is quite the journey. Kudos, brother.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Bifur - My Finished Custom Bifur The Dwarf From The Hobbit. C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Thanks guys! Not even halfway there yet... Embarassed

Allotropos

Allotropos
I did not know Bifur was a toy maker - fantastic work !
I am kinda sad that I only know the characters from movie and not from the original source material..

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Allotropos wrote:I did not know Bifur was a toy maker - fantastic work !
I am kinda sad that I only know the characters from movie and not from the original source material..

Thanks! I didn't know he was either! A nice surprise that a warrior can be a toy maker too, then I guess there are quite a few on OSW! Laughing
Don't bother to read The Hobbit, it's really difficult to get into as Tolkien was trying to tell a simple story using far too many methods: narration, poetry, song etc.. starts to drive you nuts and I remember that from reading it when I ten.

Allotropos

Allotropos
shovelchop81 wrote:
Allotropos wrote:I did not know Bifur was a toy maker - fantastic work !

Thanks! I didn't know he was either! A nice surprise that a warrior can be a toy maker too, then I guess there are quite a few on OSW! Laughing
Don't bother to read The Hobbit, it's really difficult to get into as Tolkien was trying to tell a simple story using far too many methods: narration, poetry, song etc.. starts to drive you nuts and I remember that from reading it when I ten.

Whoa pretty heavy stuff for a ten year old !
And true that there are quite a number of warrior toy makers around - I did not think of that.
All I know about the book is that my better half got quite annoyed that it was stretched out unnecessarily into 3 super long movies.
I'm still waiting for someone to do a Dain Ironfoot figure bounce

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I'm still waiting for someone to do a Dain Ironfoot figure bounce

I'd love to make one and his War Boar!! Got so much to do first though....
Incidentally I read all the LOTR books at the same age and started the Silmirillion(?) books too but got fed up with those and all the stupid notes in the margins written by his son.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn, he came out awesome! Man, the level of detail you put into the outfit is incredible. That group is looking closer and closer to heading out on a quest...

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn, he came out awesome!  Man, the level of detail you put into the outfit is incredible.  That group is looking closer and closer to heading out on a quest...

Thanks RS! I'll be starting Bombur soon.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
He is brilliant! You did a cracking job on all of these.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
Another beautiful job, Sir Chop.

The detail is brilliant and the thing that jumped out at me was the seeming concern in his face. Probably what you did with the eyebrows.

Thank you very much for allowing us along for the journey.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:He is brilliant! You did a cracking job on all of these.

CHEERS!

Thank you Roger!

dadrab wrote:Another beautiful job, Sir Chop.

The detail is brilliant and the thing that jumped out at me was the seeming concern in his face. Probably what you did with the eyebrows.

Thank you very much for allowing us along for the journey.

Cheers as always dadrab! I guess that expression can be interpreted a few ways which is useful for posing him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum