OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Empty Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I'm tapping in to the combined intellect, experience, and knowledge here with a question: Has anyone seen for purchase or have any suggestions on how to make a 1/6 rocks glass?

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Heavy-sham-rocks-glass-7-oz

It seems simple, and I don't know if I just can't find something with the right diameter to start with, but I can't find any online, or seem to be able to get the look right myself.  I always prefer the type with a heavy bottom like the pic above, but I'm flexible considering.  Curious if anyone has any suggestions.

http://reverendspooky.com

JohnByng

Maybe some plastic tube with clear glue filling the bottom as a base?

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/clear-glue-300ml/631506-1000

PureEnergy

JohnByng wrote:Maybe some plastic tube with clear glue filling the bottom as a base?

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/clear-glue-300ml/631506-1000

That certainly seems feasible.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I feel your pain. So many things don't exist or exist but are not available (or affordable) in this scale -- though I suspect it might be worse in other scales. It might be possible to construct these from scratch, but they do exist. I have picked up a couple somehow, and am not sure from where. An eBay search did not turn up anything useful (the closest match was THIS or THIS -- so they might have been from Re-ment). At any rate, here are the ones I have. One comes with a removable drink (and came with a stirring rod, ice bucket with removable ice, and prongs), the other has the drink permanently inside and has little salt crystals along the rim (margarita time?).

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Glasse10

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Glasse11

Maybe this helps, maybe it only makes it more frustrating...

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Yeah GubernatorFan, those are right in line with what I'm looking for. It's crazy that they're so hard to find. I figured they'd be easy to grab on Etsy or eBay, but know, you might just have the only set in existence.

JohnByng, I was thinking along the same lines, but it's been tricky to get right. Straws are too thin a plastic, but it can't be too thick either. And then the diameter has to be just right. I've tried a few things, and for 1 reason or another, it just never sells the look. I was hoping someone had done it, seen a tutorial, or otherwise had a way to save me from buying a bunch of sizes and doing a lot of trial and error.

If I do go that route, any suggestions on where I can get clear plastic tubes in a variety of diameters?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:If I do go that route, any suggestions on where I can get clear plastic tubes in a variety of diameters?

For clear plastic tubes this small, you either need really clear straws, or maybe some of those tubular composite stand elements that come with Jiaou Doll bodies.

PureEnergy

GubernatorFan wrote:For clear plastic tubes this small, you either need really clear straws, or maybe some of those tubular composite stand elements that come with Jiaou Doll bodies.

That’s brilliant...

Perhaps another option might be Bic pen casings (if you can find some that are not beveled).  If possible, that might be a relatively inexpensive route, and not too terribly tedious.

This actually reminds me of a time when I made a bunch of 1:18 scale beer bottles using a bag of clear Light Bright pegs, LOL.  

Good luck, brother.

dadrab

dadrab
Go to the grocery store and buy your girl some flowers...

Stop laughing...

The flowers (around here, anyway) come with the stems in a small plastic tube with water. They're about three inches long.

Like this:
Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Media_grande_3b73996b-0342-49bb-a20f-1e5651ae016f_x1200

Now, get a tubing cutter from any auto parts store or home center

Like this:
Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1STEBjDq_n_V9hLtut9m5_u8R7ixDmsyA4i80urPgDx3XrIh3jBg&usqp=CAc

Cut the tube in about half inch lengths and set them on a piece of wax paper. Take your hot glue gun and put a little in the bottom of each cut tube to simulate a bottom.

Should be pretty convincing.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
dadrab wrote:Go to the grocery store and buy your girl some flowers...

Stop laughing...

The flowers (around here, anyway) come with the stems in a small plastic tube with water. They're about three inches long.

Like this:
Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Media_grande_3b73996b-0342-49bb-a20f-1e5651ae016f_x1200

Now, get a tubing cutter from any auto parts store or home center

Like this:
Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1STEBjDq_n_V9hLtut9m5_u8R7ixDmsyA4i80urPgDx3XrIh3jBg&usqp=CAc

Cut the tube in about half inch lengths and set them on a piece of wax paper. Take your hot glue gun and put a little in the bottom of each cut tube to simulate a bottom.

Should be pretty convincing.

1st off, will be buying a tube cutter asap, since that will make my life easier in a ton of ways.  Then I'll have to swing by the grocery store with a 1/6 hand to see how the scale looks.  But might just do the trick.  And I'm sure the girl will appreciate flowers. Thanks for the suggestion. If it doesn't work, I may wonder around the craft store this weekend holding a 1/6 hand up to things to see what looks right in scale.  

Whenever I get something that works, I'l raise a newly made 1/6 glass in your honor.  I already have a bag of miniature ice just waiting.

http://reverendspooky.com

Peaches

Peaches
Some really great ideas here!  You can also buy glass tubing, use a torch to soften the edges after you cut them (I wonder if the pipe cutter would work on glass?  I kind of think it would!) For the bottoms, I'd still use hot glue, unless you really want clear, then there is always clear resin?

In such a small size, I'd think they'd be pretty hard to break too Smile

Interesting: borosilicate glass -

Video on how to cut it:

blackpool

blackpool
Some very smart insights in here!

Sorry I'm much more basic due to my lack of good tools at home (I think I should really invest on a dremel)...

I have bought a few rocks glasses from the brand "rolodapi" in the past, it was on machinegun, sadly they are out of stock, they still have the beer glass but not the whisky...

1/6 translucent beer glass

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you all for suggestions!

Peaches, I'll be honest, I try not to work with real glass too much. Cutting it, and dealing with powdered glass clean up is just more than I want to deal with. It's a great suggestion, and those are actually the right diameter, but I'm going to try to stick with plastic.

Blackpool, how you tempt me with Machinegun! They always have a ton of stuff I don't see anywhere else, but their shipping to the US is brutal, so I always pass. I'd probably do it if they still had the whisky glasses though.

Figured out last night that a 1/2 inch diameter looks perfect, and I dug up some old 1/2 inch plastic vials I should be able to chop up. I'm going to swing by the craft store this weekend to see is I can get some of that clear glue JohnByng mentioned (resin always seems to yellow over time, so I want to explore other options). I'll definitely post results if they're good.

blackpool

blackpool
Feel free to send me a shopping list if you want, I already do it for a couple of friends who are in California and the other in Ontario, personally I save all shipping cost from their site as their office is in Paris, I usually pick up my orders directly there.

Except for a fully boxed figures, all the stuff I have sent to my friends never cost more than 15-20$ in shipping, way better than machinegun Razz

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
blackpool wrote:Feel free to send me a shopping list if you want, I already do it for a couple of friends who are in California and the other in Ontario, personally I save all shipping cost from their site as their office is in Paris, I usually pick up my orders directly there.

Except for a fully boxed figures, all the stuff I have sent to my friends never cost more than 15-20$ in shipping, way better than machinegun Razz

Holy crap, that such an amazing offer! Yeah, I may take you up on that in the near future (I NEED to behave myself for a bit after Christmas). Seriously, thanks so much.

Jealous they're so close to you! Is it an actual brick & mortar store or just that they let you pick up orders there? I'm right outside NYC, and there's nothing left of that kind of caliber for 1/6 shopping. There used to be a few great stores years ago, but it's been pretty barren for a long time now.

Just curious to ask you, have you ever been to the Musée Miniature et Cinéma in Lyon? I think it's a few hours from Paris. I've wanted to go for years, and they have work from Charles Matton and Ronan Jim Sévellec, both of whom I love. Huge inspirations.

MerylAkiba

How about the mini glass jar wishing bottles, but turned upside down. Or using a clear cast epoxy of the glass jar mold ?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Finally found 1/6 rocks glasses!  I had been looking FOREVER, and after all attempts to make had either failed to live up to expectations or outright failed, I finally managed to track some down.  I'd found these on etsy, and although scale wasn't listed, the measurements seemed right so I bought a bunch.  Beyond thrilled when they came in.  They're real glass, the size is perfect, and they're gorgeous.

Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/647217832/dollhouse-miniatures-crystal-clear

Couldn't resist getting a few shots.

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Rocks2_orig

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Rocks1_orig

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 Rocks3_orig

Plan to use these a lot, and I have enough that I can experiment with resin drinks.  These pics are with plastic ice and real whiskey.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Congratulations on finding them. And they look just right, both by themselves and in the hands of the Radio Kings.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ahh they look awesome! Congrats on finding those , always so great when something like that works out. If you figure out any methods for making clear liquid to go inside such things, let us know. ^.^

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s awesome, Rev. And thanks for the link. What size did you get (the description only states Small or Large?

Great new photos, as well. Looking forward to more Radio Kings.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 C8485110

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic Stuff and Picture ! Hey, they have to smile now, with the Whisky in the hand. Real whiskey ! I remember i insert the liquids in 1:6 Glases with a injection needle.Laughing

Oh, and come on... he smoke a cigarett with a good old whiskey... he need a cigar roled on the thighs of a Brazilian  Girl Wink

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:Congratulations on finding them. And they look just right, both by themselves and in the hands of the Radio Kings.

Thank you! I took a little time to "make" new hands to hold them. I had to find some decent hands in the hands box, throw the in some boiling water, and reshape them a bit to comfortably hold the glasses. But now I have a couple specialized whiskey hands!

skywalkersaga wrote:Ahh they look awesome! Congrats on finding those , always so great when something like that works out. If you figure out any methods for making clear liquid to go inside such things, let us know. ^.^

Thanks! I used a medicine dropper to get the whisky in, after all posing was done. I do plan to make a few permanent resin drinks (I bought 10 glasses so I could play around a bit) but the real liquid is easy and looks great (although messy if spilled).

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s awesome, Rev. And thanks for the link. What size did you get (the description only states Small or Large?

Great new photos, as well. Looking forward to more Radio Kings.

Thank you Stryker! They must have just added the sizes! I don't remember choosing when I ordered. But I got the larger 5/8" x 5/8" glasses. I had thought 1/2" would be ideal, and these might be 1/8" to 1/16" too large, but I genuinely couldn't be happier with the size.

And the wait is just about over. I'm going to jump off here in a few minutes (winter has been hard, and I think I may have drank a little too much while floating around in a pool yesterday, and am slowly easing in to the day) and am going to spend the rest of today shooting in the new diorama (FINALLY!).

Ephiane wrote:Fantastic Stuff and Picture ! Hey, they have to smile now, with the Whisky in the hand. Real whiskey ! I remember i insert the liquids in 1:6 Glases with a injection needle.Laughing

Oh, and come on... he smoke a cigarett with a good old whiskey... he need a cigar roled on the thighs of a Brazilian  Girl Wink

Lol! Thanks Ephiane! Now I want a hand rolled thigh cigar! Been actually meaning to do some 1/6 cigars soon! And I figured for photos nothing would look more like whiskey than actual whiskey. Trust me, it's something I have plenty of around here. Wink

The injection needle is a great idea. I hadn't though ahead, and had to dig around for something that'd work.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Awesome. Looking forward to the garage shoot, Rev. Should be epic.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Rocks Glasses? Found! Updated 02/08/2019 C8485110

blackpool

blackpool
Awesome! You should have never shared that link to the online store now I need to buy everything!!!!!

The glasses look fantastic anyway, as well as the picture (how can you call that a quick shot!)
Beyond everything I love the use of real whisky for the shooting!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
blackpool wrote:Awesome! You should have never shared that link to the online store now I need to buy everything!!!!!

The glasses look fantastic anyway, as well as the picture (how can you call that a quick shot!)
Beyond everything I love the use of real whisky for the shooting!

It's terrible, right?! They have so much tempting stuff in that store! A lot doesn't list scale, but they provide a lot of measurements, so you can make some pretty good guesses what works. I know I plan on ordering from them again.

And thanks so much! Glad you dig the shot. And yeah, quick may have been a little exaggerated. Razz

And the trick to using real whiskey for photos is a little for them, a little more for me...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum