OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Finally managed to gather all the necessary items to make my version of Emma Frost, the White Queen, who used to be a villain in the X-Men universe, but now, I guess she's not. I don't know. I can't keep track of all the changes they make to these characters.

This was the outfit I was sort of basing it on:

Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash 69950510

Parts list:
Head sculpt: JXToys ?
Body: TBLeague S22A
White Corset & Panties: TBLeague Silver Huntress
Arm Sleeves: custom from eBay seller "The Daughter Who Sews" (originally full gloves -- looked like elbow length mittens)
all other parts: misc. eBay sellers -- no-name brands

A couple shots of the same pose different lighting conditions:

Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash _dsc2820
Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash _dsc2822
Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash _dsc2821

Comments and criticism welcome.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash C8485110

2Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
She looks great. Very nicely done and conveys the feel of your source material. Of course when I read "The White Queen," I immediately assumed Elizabeth Woodville.

3Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Great bash!
I would say you achieved the effect!
Very nicely done!

4Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Candle Jack

Candle Jack
Very, very nice Stryker. Starting to think about getting an Emma Frost kitbash together myself after seeing this one and another one going on. Good call on the Silver Huntress corset, that looks excellent and I like the headsculpt choice. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

5Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:She looks great. Very nicely done and conveys the feel of your source material. Of course when I read "The White Queen," I immediately assumed Elizabeth Woodville.

Haha, same! XD

But yes, I agree, she looks really good! In addition to the interpretation of the costume, I really like your choice of headsculpt for her. Do you mind me asking which JXToys sculpt it is?

If I had only one suggestion, it would be to photograph her in front of a different colour background (a deep blue maybe?), as the current one sort of de-emphasizes her white clothing. But the figure herself is lovely. <3

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I love her! Always liked the character, and a spot on interpretation. Such a perfect choice of head sculpt, and the outfit nails it! So cool.

7Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Everyone, for the kind words. Had such a hard time putting that together yesterday (not because the outfit was all that difficult, but because I'm not supposed to be using my left arm at all -- shoulder surgery -- and did anyway; the pain afterward kept me up until 4:30 this morning; I know -- I'm an idiot).

The head sculpt is supposed to be Charlize Theron (came out a couple years ago); I've seen it advertised as JXToys, and even Master Team (though I've never heard of them), so not really sure. Here's an eBay link to one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-Charlize-Theron-Head-Sculpt-W-Long-Golden-Hair-F-12-Female-Body/283235549383?hash=item41f22780c7:g:ubQAAOSwPAxaDo-W:rk:2🇵🇫1&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true

8Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Well was the pain worth it? I would think so!
That headsculpt was under my radar. A stern villain look and closer to a January Jones' Emma IMO.
The head-body skintone difference is quite obvious in the pic without flash.
Would a 23B be a better skintone match?

9Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
rollotomasi wrote:Well was the pain worth it? I would think so!
That headsculpt was under my radar. A stern villain look and closer to a January Jones' Emma IMO.

Actually, I tried it against a S23 and the body is too dark. The head is somewhere between Pale and Phicen’s no longer available Tan. Under normal light conditions, the color difference is barely noticeable. Cameras tend to pick up a lot of things the human eye cannot. Hope that helps. It is a really nice sculpt, and more stern then what we usually see from the loose head manufacturers.

10Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work ! She looks like the comic character

11Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thank you kindly, Ephi.

12Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:10 pm

doodlehobby

Wow. That's really cool and very close to the source material you based her on. Awesome bash. Smile

13Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:19 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:

Actually, I tried it against a S23 and the body is too dark. The head is somewhere between Pale and Phicen’s no longer available Tan. Under normal light conditions, the color difference is barely noticeable. Cameras tend to pick up a lot of things the human eye cannot. Hope that helps. It is a really nice sculpt, and more stern then what we usually see from the loose head manufacturers.

I really don't see that big a difference in any of the pics. What I do see is partly just shadows. I agree with you that certain lighting and camera make any differences more dramatic often then they really look. I think that's in part to the head and body being different materials, and reflecting light very differently. But there are often differences in color between people's faces and the rest of their bodies, and while I know we're all seeking perfection in figures, I think we sometimes can be less tolerant than we should on slight differences between head and body tone with figures.

14Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:

I really don't see that big a difference in any of the pics.  What I do see is partly just shadows.  I agree with you that certain lighting and camera make any differences more dramatic often then they really look.  I think that's in part to the head and body being different materials, and reflecting light very differently.  But there are often differences in color between people's faces and the rest of their bodies, and while I know we're all seeking perfection in figures, I think we sometimes can be less tolerant than we should on slight differences between head and body tone with figures.  

I have to agree -- I see no noticeable difference in skinTONE. The head is perhaps the slightest shade darker, but that is pretty normal imo. And as you say, the artificial lighting always plays that up even more than how it really looks in person. But imo the actual skintones of the head and body are as pretty good a match as you can get in this hobby....

Personally, I don't really give a crap about the head and body being a 'perfect' match....it's not something that immediately jumps out at me when looking at other people's figures, especially if the figure as a whole is well put together and looks as awesome and detailed as the one above.  And when it comes to my own figures, I kinda of just accept that finding a so-called perfect match between heads and bodies made by different factories -- and out of two different materials to boot -- just isn't even possible to begin with.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

15Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
doodlehobby wrote:Wow. That's really cool and very close to the source material you based her on. Awesome bash. Smile

Thank you, doodlehobby.

16Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

I really don't see that big a difference in any of the pics.  What I do see is partly just shadows.  I agree with you that certain lighting and camera make any differences more dramatic often then they really look.  I think that's in part to the head and body being different materials, and reflecting light very differently.  But there are often differences in color between people's faces and the rest of their bodies, and while I know we're all seeking perfection in figures, I think we sometimes can be less tolerant than we should on slight differences between head and body tone with figures.  

Whenever I get a new head, I pull out all the bodies I have, regardless if they’re already in use, and compare them under natural light in order to get the closest match possible. If I find one that works, I try to see if I can’t get another one. It doesn’t always work, as some of the colors aren’t being made any more. Hence the reason I have about 40 heads with no home.

17Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
I want to buy the parts and make my own Emma too and i find Stryker's figure very "stryking" if you will!
But admittedly, i'm not a fan of the pales... although i'll be needing one for the upcoming Super Duck Cammy.

I hope it didn't come out i was putting down the excellent figure by pointing out the skintone difference
which was my own visual assessment.
Yes, there is no "perfect" match, that's why i inquired if the S23B would be a BETTER match.
If there was no S23B in existence, i would not have posed my question.

18Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
No worries, rollo. I didn’t take offense. It’s a good question. I was just trying to answer as best I could. I’m pretty picky myself when it comes to color matching, so I understand your frustration. When the difference is so jarring, I don’t bother giving the head a home — that’s just how I am. Some of these companies, like Flirty Girl and Super Duck for example, who go out of there way to make outfits for a specific body, need to pay better attention to the color of the head, as well. I have two knock off head sculpts — Scarlett Johansson and Daisy Ridley — that are darker than HT’s Dwayne Johnson; Phicen never made a female body that dark even when they were doing their Old Suntan — so what the bootleggers were thinking when they made those two — no idea.

19Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm

blackpool

blackpool
Very cool custom, I love it, even more as you went with her most iconic costume! It really brings back some good memories, that X-men era was the best to my eyes!

20Emma frost - Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Empty Re: Emma Frost (The White Queen) kitbash Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Blackpool. The last time I read X-Men was the Chris Claremont/John Byrne/Jim Lee days. Those books were awesome. I’ve been completely out of touch since.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum