OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TB League T01A Dissappointment

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

doodlehobby

Well, sad to say, I was quite disappointed with this body. Only real redeeming feature is it's an articulated seamless body. But it has such glaring flaws I really don't think it's worth the funds to invest in.

1) skin tearing: well it's deja vu for me again. Just like when I experienced skin tearing on their first generation SS bodies, it's happened here. Her left back elbow has developed a small dimple tear and an indented mark. Great. Not too happy about that.

2) arms: they are pretty bad on this. Articulation on it is severely limited and you can't do any real dynamic posing with this thing. She can't cross her arms for one thing. The skin actually sticks together at the elbow when bent fully. When straightening the elbow, I can see the skin peeling away from each other as I unbend the elbow. Not a good thing to see and has me questioning the durability of the body itself. The skin forming the elbow is too thin which is probably what led to the tear I have. Also after manipulating her left arm several times, a hard lump forms on her upper bicep and is very noticeable. Looks like a cancerous lump formed out of nowhere. Massaging it though seems to temporarily fix it until it forms again after more manipulating. Very annoying and frustrating.

3) wrists: again another weak point as articulation is lost on this as well.

4) head: she can't look up/down or tilt her head on the ball joint. That is unless you pop her head a little off the ball joint.

5) Bikini top: wow... the trunks were nice, but the top was just a strip of cloth that was just cut and sewn together at the ends. It wasn't even cut nicely and really skewered. LOL

Well, I was still able to get some nice posing from it. But after this session I honestly don't think I'll be doing anything more with this body and just put it in with the rest of my 1/12 non scale collections.

TB League T01A Dissappointment 40307521413_8db0e112b8_bTBL T01A Pose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 40307521523_1a66b458ac_bTBL T01A Pose 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 46357509625_dfb716f6d1_bTBL T01A Pose 4 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 33393573298_10c9520848_bTBL T01A by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 33393573208_eb904b9cde_bTBL T01A Pose by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 40304805483_388fd5f06b_bTBL T01A Pose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 33393573498_dca60261bb_bTBL T01A and Ride Armor by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 40304805603_443d4d5788_bTBL T01A and Ride Armor 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 33393573428_0b668a9c39_bTBL T01A Group by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 46545959034_8b44a648d7_bTBL T01A Group 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

TB League T01A Dissappointment 47269298951_b4fc3c8b3d_bTBL T01A Group 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

2TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Delanie

Delanie
i have to say I haven't noticed any problems with my T01B apart from her right leg the 'flesh' seems loose on her skeleton.

I the 'peacock' dress on yours where did you get it? or did you make it?

I also like the mospeadia bike and figure I didn't realise they wete 1/12 too

3TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm

doodlehobby

Delanie wrote:i have to say I haven't noticed any problems with my T01B apart from her right leg the 'flesh' seems loose on her skeleton.

I the 'peacock' dress on yours where did you get it? or did you make it?

I also like the mospeadia bike and figure I didn't realise they wete 1/12 too
The dress is actually from a Monster High doll I had. LOL. I compared the upper torso and they were similar. Just the waist on a Monster high is lower (for obvious reasons).

Yeah. The Mospeada ride armor is nice. Just fragile, a few QC issues and parts come off during transformation and posing. But it's the best modern take on the ride armor to date. Can't wait for the other 2 to come out so I can complete the squad/team. Smile

4TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is unfortunate. I bought one of each skin tone, but honestly I have no idea what im going to do with them. Kind of a waste of money it seems.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TB League T01A Dissappointment C8485110

5TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

doodlehobby

Stryker2011 wrote:That is unfortunate. I bought one of each skin tone, but honestly I have no idea what im going to do with them. Kind of a waste of money it seems.
I agree. Especially in your case where you don't collect 1/12 figures. For the costs though, a Figma Archetype jointed body is a cheaper alternative that has more articulation and customizable. Or just use as is as a reference model. That is if you're into that sort of thing.

6TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:30 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh no, so sorry that it was a such a disappointment for you . :’( It’s such a neat idea in theory, but sounds like it needs some ironing out in its actual execution.

You managed to take some cute pics, at least, and I appreciate you sharing them here.

I’ve always been interested in those Figma bodies and hope I can use some as bases in the future. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I haven't noticed any material degradation yet, but your observations are reasonable. I do suspect, however, that perhaps you expected a little too much from this tiny body, given the type.

8TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:34 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Sorry to hear that, maybe they'll improve on it for later runs. Where did you get that Iron Giant? A friend of mine is 3D printing a much larger version as we speak.

CHEERS!

9TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:38 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Just had a chance to look at your pics on a larger screen, and I can see what you mean about the elbow issue, doodlehobby.

Based on your excellent photos, think the legs on this lil figure are really nice looking. It's only the arms that kind of let it down for me from an aesthetic standpoint.

Using a Monster High dress for her is genius. Love it. Smile

10TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:10 pm

doodlehobby

GubernatorFan wrote:I haven't noticed any material degradation yet, but your observations are reasonable. I do suspect, however, that perhaps you expected a little too much from this tiny body, given the type.
Yeah. I think I had high expectations for this body especially coming from Phicen/TBL. I actually expected better from them. The balance on this is pretty good. You can put it into a numerous amount of poses and have it stand in its own without much issue. The elbows are the worse. Look at the elbows on mine and it looks like she got heavily bruised in that region. Also shoulders have a weird swivel and joint in it. It can make the arm look way off if manipulated incorrectly. The legs though are great and match their 1/6 counterpart. And considering the cost for this body... I really am disappointed. I guess in terms of 1/12 nothing can beat the jointed bodies atm.

Rogerbee wrote:
Sorry to hear that, maybe they'll improve on it for later runs. Where did you get that Iron Giant? A friend of mine is 3D printing a much larger version as we speak.

CHEERS!
It's Sentinel Riobot Iron Giant (it's about 1/80 scale). Not cheap but the best figure i've ever messed with. Lots of heft due to the diecast in this thing. Very articulated and balances very well. Only thing I wish it had was the arm canon! But that's apparently in the works for their next Iron Giant figure.

skywalkersaga wrote:Just had a chance to look at your pics on a larger screen, and I can see what you mean about the elbow issue, doodlehobby.

Based on your excellent photos, think the legs on this lil figure are really nice looking. It's only the arms that kind of let it down for me from an aesthetic standpoint.

Using a Monster High dress for her is genius. Love it. Smile
Thanks. I think some Ever After High doll outfits may work woth it as well. LOL

11TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:26 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

My friend is 3D printing a 1/12 Iron Giant, it's seriously impressive. If you're on FB look for Andy Hibbs.

CHEERS!

12TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
When it comes to the arms, my guess is the amount of “skin” isn’t sufficient to cover the skeleton, but due to size, any thicker and the arms would be out of proportion to the rest of the body. Some of their full-size bodies had this issue, as well — particularly if left in overly bent positions for too long — the skin would great too stretched and start to tear; or when trying to swap out hands and applying too much pressure, would cause that same kind of thing. I bought these mainly to see how well the “gimmick” worked, and obviously, like Phicen’s earliest bodies, it needs a few generations before they’ll find the formula that works. Personally, I would rather see them spend the time giving us more body shapes and color choices in their full-size line-up, but it seems more and more companies are moving into this scale — I suppose since cost is driving more and more collectors out of 1/6.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TB League T01A Dissappointment C8485110

13TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:24 pm

doodlehobby

Stryker2011 wrote:When it comes to the arms, my guess is the amount of “skin” isn’t sufficient to cover the skeleton, but due to size, any thicker and the arms would be out of proportion to the rest of the body. Some of their full-size bodies had this issue, as well — particularly if left in overly bent positions for too long — the skin would great too stretched and start to tear; or when trying to swap out hands and applying too much pressure, would cause that same kind of thing. I bought these mainly to see how well the “gimmick” worked, and obviously, like Phicen’s earliest bodies, it needs a few generations before they’ll find the formula that works. Personally, I would rather see them spend the time giving us more body shapes and color choices in their full-size line-up, but it seems more and more companies are moving into this scale — I suppose since cost is driving more and more collectors out of 1/6.
I don't think it's necessarily costs alone. Could be space restrictions too (one can cram more 1/12 figures than 1/6). But yeah could be several reasons why 1/12 is a growing trend.

14TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Interesting. I mean, some high-end 1/12 figures go for at least half or even two thirds the cost of a Hot Toys figure. So It's not always that affordable. Though yes, the mainstream Black Series and Marvel Legends type figures are much less pricey to collect.

It's ironic from my perspective as I started getting into collecting in earnest right around the time there started to be more interest in 1/12, and yet, it's the scale that I have struggled the most to be interested in. When I find something good in that scale, I LOVE it, but it's been so hard to be invested in actively collecting in it. And even less now that I've discovered the wonders of 1/6. Very Happy

Because while collecting may be easier /cheaper in 1/12, customizing is much more fun and rewarding in 1/6...for me at least. And it's customizing that has my greatest interest at the moment. : )

Though I am intrigued to see what kinds of 1/12 figures get made in the coming years, if it really is becoming that popular.

15TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

doodlehobby

Rogerbee wrote:
My friend is 3D printing a 1/12 Iron Giant, it's seriously impressive. If you're on FB look for Andy Hibbs.

CHEERS!
Looked it up on his Instagram and man that is indeed impressive. It's definitely not 1/12 though... judging from the images, probably more around 1/40 scale (which is more reasonable at 15 inches tall). If it was 1/12 scale it would be a GIANT indeed at 4'2". LOL

skywalkersaga wrote:Interesting. I mean, some high-end 1/12 figures go for at least half or even two thirds the cost of a Hot Toys figure. So It's not always that affordable. Though yes, the mainstream Black Series and Marvel Legends type figures are much less pricey to collect.

It's ironic from my perspective as I started getting into collecting in earnest right around the time there started to be more interest in 1/12, and yet, it's the scale that I have struggled the most to be interested in. When I find something good in that scale, I LOVE it, but it's been so hard to be invested in actively collecting in it. And even less now that I've discovered the wonders of 1/6. Very Happy

Because while collecting may be easier /cheaper in 1/12, customizing is much more fun and rewarding in 1/6...for me at least. And it's customizing that has my greatest interest at the moment. : )

Though I am intrigued to see what kinds of 1/12 figures get made in the coming years, if it really is becoming that popular.
I collect all sorts of scales collectibles and figures. Transformers, Machine Robo, Mospeada, Macross, etc. But dang, it's not cheap either (can even be more costly than 1/6). Currently trying to hunt down a PO for the SOC Voltron reissue and have no luck. And secondary markets for the first release are pushing it over $1k CAD from scalpers. I'm seriously losing hope I'll even get one at this rate. It's just getting frustrating and ridiculous as I've never seen any PO madness like this before. Multiple stores all sold out in minutes the moment it live (both in Japan and US markets). Not even sure if any stores here in Canada will get them either. Sad

16TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:56 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh gosh, yeah, those are some crazy prices. That’s an area of collecting I’m unfamiliar with, but I’m not surprised it can get so expensive with highly sought-after figures in *any* scale.

Now that I’m thinking on it, I’ve even seen ‘retired’ Funkos of all things priced in the hundreds, or more. I don’t understand the appeal of those myself, but it shows what people will pay for something that is supposedly ‘rare’ but is in high demand, and also how greedy sellers can take advantage of that very fact. :/

17TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:23 pm

UcingItem

Hi there 👋
Just wanted to share my experience with this model.
It's my first time i purchased tbleague or any silicon doll.
I bought the suntan skin, arrived just few days ago. This is what i got the moment i unboxed and inspect it.

TB League T01A Dissappointment Img_2010
TB League T01A Dissappointment Img_2012
TB League T01A Dissappointment Img_2011

No need to wait too long after i started to posing it, the skin started to flaking off / scalping. I guess this 1/12 model not really full fill my expectation for their famous 1/6 model quality.

18TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm

UcingItem

The face painting of this model were not really satisfying as well. I decided to lightly pimped her up with some water decals i have. And put her up with monster high dress that my daughter have 🤣.

TB League T01A Dissappointment Img_2013
TB League T01A Dissappointment Img_2014

Btw wanted to ask you, how is it the condition of your doll now after almost 2 years?

19TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm

doodlehobby

UcingItem wrote:Btw wanted to ask you, how is it the condition of your doll now after almost 2 years?
Ever since doing this:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1398-tbl-t01a-kit-bashing

I basically left her in an A stance and as a museum piece. Haven't fiddled or played with her since. She's still the same as I left her. No signs of any further degardation. Manipulation is the same as when I first got her.

20TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:16 am

Diana

Diana
Nice pictures and oh no about the troubles. :/

I just checked and the skin over the elbows on my model are pretty thin, too, though not as bad as in these photos.

Articulation in the arms got a little frustrating when I wanted the inside of the elbow to point inwards even slightly. Just not doable. While trying I twisted the skin on the arm that was backwards or something, but with a little patience I got it back to where it ought to be. (Had the same issue with my S29 at some point.)

Overall I still love this figure. But I never bothered dressing it, since I do use it for reference, so I guess I avoided the worst of the challenges. Smile

21TB League T01A Dissappointment Empty Re: TB League T01A Dissappointment Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the figure. As we just found out, turns out this is TPE, not silicone, after all. It is probably different from Jiaou's even more fragile TPE, but I would imagine it to be the same as TBLeague's material for their sixth-scale figures. Sometimes even these get little holes or slices in the surface (from stray air pockets?) but the material is pretty resilient and these might not expand/worsen over time. It is actually not that easy to slice through this material even when doing it on purpose (I've done that). That said, there are occasional other reports of problems, including the flaking of the skin. This might be due to problems with the production process in the cases of specific bodies or batches or bodies, or with the set's experience during transport and storage, or in the hands/accommodations of the owner. A modicum of care when handling and maintenance before/during storing (bag the figures together with the Silica dessicant pack, apply protective powder) ought to help, whatever the circumstances or the source of the problems. I know this doesn't solve the issues, but I hope it is of some comfort.

As for the face, well, the slightly bland anime style isn't to my taste either, but I think we all knew what we were getting. Various other twelfth-scale heads work reasonably well with this body (and the next). You can see some other options in these threads:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2099-tbleague-phicen-seamless-body-scale-comparison-updated-with-part-iii

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2098-tbleague-phicen-112-seamless-male-bodies-review-updated

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2595-tbleague-phicen-t03b-112-seamless-female-body-and-friends

Hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum