OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla"

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The Lowland Gorilla is the smallest subspecies of Western Gorilla, and is the one most commonly seen in Zoos around the world. The males, which this one is supposed to represent (based on his paint job), standing erect can be up to  5'11" tall and can weigh up to 600 pounds -- though there average weight is 310 pounds (females 200); there weight in captivity varies, but has reached up to 606 pounds. They possess no tails and have jet black skin along with coarse black hair that covers their entire body except for the face, ears, hands and feet. The hair on the back and rump of males is grey, but turns more white as they age -- which is why the older males are called "Silverbacks".

Overall I think they did a decent job with the sculpt on this one. It comes with two heads: one neutral and one "roaring"/angry. The arms are also detachable -- though not sure why the left one was made that way, unless it was for packaging purposes -- since it has a locking key to keep it in place. All of the detachable pieces are held in place by some serious (I'm assuming Rare Earth) magnets, that if you're not careful -- particularly with the heads -- will pull the piece out of your hands and snap onto the body before you even realize it. The heads have nice details, especially how realistic the eyes look -- particularly on the neutral head sculpt, which is my favorite of the two.

I think they got the size of the Gorilla pretty well -- it's very hard to measure with all the bends and curves in its frame -- but being the smallest of the Western Gorilla breeds, he seems about right. And the arm length is appropriate -- as the span is about double that of the animals height in 1:1.

The seams between the arms and upper body don't look so great, but at least the right arm has the ability to rotate, offering a couple different looks. The head can, of course, swivel to have the gorilla "looking" in different directions, including slightly upward.

The detailing in the fur is nicely done, and the paint work is okay. Mine came with a couple small splotches (hard to see in the photo -- though I did circle the spots) on his torso where a small amount of the white paint hit his chest and belly.

My two cons for this piece, are the sculpt/fit between the back of the heads and the back of the body. There is a considerable overlap of hair from the head that doesn't match up to the back. My other complaint, and maybe some won't care, but I do: He doesn't have any "Man-Junk" -- Only the males have the "silverback" hair, so you'd think they would have sculpted him some Gorilla Family Jewels (they do it for their dogs and horses), so why they left them off of this particular piece makes no sense. This may sound gross, but a male gorilla's penis resembles a squashed purplish bag (no urethra) about the size of a billiard ball. This has NOTHING -- sorry no crotch shots.

Overall, I'm glad I got him, and it's nice to FINALLY see some exotic animals making their way into the 1/6 scale accessory world. It would be cool if some of these would be articulated, but my guess is there isn't a really huge market for that sort of thing.

Anyway, here are some really bad pics -- due to the color, and without decent photography lights, this thing is really hard to photograph.

Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3029
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3031
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3030
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3032
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3033
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3034
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3035
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3036
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3037
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3039
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3040
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3038
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3043
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3041
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3042
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3044
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3045
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3046
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3047

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
The detailing looks pretty good and the magnetic limb attachments is a clever idea.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for the detailed review, photos, and the lesson in male gorilla anatomy. ;D

I'm guessing you picked this one up not only because of your interest in gorillas but also at least in part to go along with your Tarzan display.... is that perchance 'Jane'?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yes, indeed, that is my Jane.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
She's adorable!! And I like how you did her body language/interaction with the gorilla. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Delanie

Delanie
I know she dealt with mainly mountain gorillas but a Diane Fossey display with this guy would be nice.

I'm really tempted with this one as one of my first award wining CG pictures featured a guy similar to him

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
@skywalkersaga. Thanks. I was going for her look from the first Tarzan book -- in the books she's a blonde, and I wanted a non-traditional face -- something that would fit 120-140 years ago. Her clothes weren't ever really described, so I had to hunt down images of Safari clothing from the late 1800s -- and the wonderful Amy Jones (of "AJ Clothiers") made the outfit for me. The cool pith helmet was supplied by our very own ReverendSpooky. I just wish those boots allowed for ankle articulation. Her "submissive" posture looks awkward with her feet like that. At some point -- though I'm actually hesitant to do it -- I might try to tatter and dirty up her clothes a bit (but the idea of ruining Amy's great job on the outfit is holding me back). (I probably should have commissioned a second, duplicate, one that I could do that to without too much concern.)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Delanie wrote:I know she dealt with mainly mountain gorillas but a Diane Fossey display with this guy would be nice.

I'm really tempted with this one as one of my first award wining CG pictures featured a guy similar to him

That would be cool to see.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the review and the detailed analysis. You're already putting the gorilla to good use, and your Jane is coming into play. Speaking of, I recently picked up the same head sculpt.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the review and the detailed analysis. You're already putting the gorilla to good use, and your Jane is coming into play. Speaking of, I recently picked up the same head sculpt.

It's a nice sculpt, isn't it. Has some character to it, and even though it's pretty, it's not the "typical" pretty we usually get (if that makes sense).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I forgot to mention, he does also come with the clothes and sling-pack seen in the promo pics (thankfully, he doesn't come wearing them), and I have no use for them, myself -- but they are included.

Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" 10102031
Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" 10102212

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hmmm I wonder if those clothes might not fit on a custom, portly human character. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Hmmm I wonder if those clothes might not fit on a custom, portly human character. Smile

If the figure was 1/4 scale or The Hulk -- maybe. The outfit is huge -- it's actually a jumbo jumpsuit. Here's a pic next to the over-sized World Box "Fat" Body -- that no heads align with other than the over-sized one that was sold with it as a boxed figure of that fighter.

Gorilla - Mini Out of the Box review: Mr. Z "Lowland Gorilla" _dsc3051

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Holy...! Somehow I didn't realize that gorilla was so huge. I think you need to get a Hulk and dress him up in this. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Believe me, I wanted a Gladiator Hulk -- that was one of my favorite comic arks when I was collecting comics as a kid -- but $355 just seems a little too out there for a figure with limited articulation, and horrible looking knees. Especially when I'm throwing money away at Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and other figures. Just received another box from Timewalker just a bit ago -- I think, if I remember correctly, there are FOUR boxed figures in there! (I'm out of control...)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL if memory serves there are some decent and far more affordable Hulk alternatives (though maybe not Gladiator Hulk). Well, if you're gonna tease us, let us know what was in there. And if it helps you feel better, I've caved in and gotten the new Roman figures (three are already here) by Kaustic Plastik and that other outfit. Maybe I'll do a review.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'd like to see a review on those Romans. Kaustic usually does an amazing job with their products -- it's just too bad they seem to be fewer and farther between. They produced some great sets, and their head sculpts were always pretty cool -- about the only thing I didn't care for was the weird, two-tone bodies.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wow, Hell. He is really a massive Beast. Thanks for showing. That is a great photo story review Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Ephi. Glad you liked it. (Are you going to get one for one of your stories?)

Ovy

Ovy
I wonder if babies and the gorilla could swap clothing?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum