OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

are there any good tutes for weathering clothes?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

teamweapon

had a look on youtube but the only one that looks usefull tells me to rub the clothes in the dirt haha!
im looking for a tutorial as i cant paint to save my life but you gotta start somewhere right?
looking to achieve something like a dirty 3A kinda look?
any clues anybody??
TIA
Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I don't know any specific tutorials, though I'm sure others on the forum will be able to point you in the right direction.

But when it comes to weathering clothing, I would not suggest putting actual dirt or any 'organic' materials on it, simply as that could cause mold issues later on.

While I am not super familiar with 3A style, from looking it up just now, I would suggest using some kind of model paint like Vallejo or something similar which is very finely pigmented and formulated specifically for smaller scale figures, and mix it with a fabric medium. I would use this kind of mixture and then drybush in the various colours that you want.

For a TWD character that I did recently, to make her look 'dirty', I just used shades of dark grey dry-brushed onto a pale coloured t-shirt and jeans, using a flat brush. For the 'blood' spatters, I used a mix of reds, browns, blacks, greens, etc. For those, since they were stains, I did not dry brush them, but applied them wet with a rounded brush.  Any other types of stains on fabric should probably be applied with a bit more water. But on something like boots, I tend to make them look dusty by using very light dry-brush applications of an off-white colour, again using a flat brush.  I use off-white or warmer colours for weathering leather, but use greys for weathering metal.

You'll need to figure out what colours will work best on the pieces of clothing, and apply them sparingly. If you have a white shirt, you would decide what colour you want the 'dirt' to be, and then use a small amount of paint mixed with fabric medium, and thinned out even more with water. Use a flat edged brush, and dry it on a paper towel so that there's only a bit of almost dry paint on it. Then apply to the areas you want to look dirty. Add small amounts of paint to the tip of the brush as needed, but always dry it on the paper towel first by moving the paintbrush back and forth like you are painting it, if that makes sense. Some areas on the clothing might require multiple layers to make the weathering look 'heavier' -- I tend to allow the first layer to dry first before going back and reworking it more. If you aren't sure how to apply the painted 'wear' to the clothing so that it still looks good and artistic, find an existing 3A figure that you admire, and emulate the way the paint is applied as best as you can until you get the hang of it. : )

Sometimes it helps to use a spare figure body as a 'mannequin' and actually apply the paint while the clothing is being worn. This helps you see where the folds of the fabric will be, and you can therefore make the wear look more realistic. But it can be done just laid flat as well, of course.

Once finished, allow the painted pieces of clothing to 'cure' for a couple of days to a week.

If you want to make actual rips or tears in the fabric, such as jeans, make very small cuts with just the tip of scissors in the areas you want there to be holes. Then gradually 'open' the holes by 'sanding' them with a metal nail file or something similar. You can gently open the holes further with the tip of the nail file if needed.

Apologies that I cannot show photo examples at this time -- it's very late in the evening where I am. But any questions, please feel free to ask! I'm not an expert but I'm obsessed with painting fabric, lol.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here’s some that I found:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lS7Z0-mudc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vIu-X_wD2M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTh7FLS1SU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYwDQLnwYo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwHQz1ZoBQ

He who dies with the most toys wins!

are there any good tutes for weathering clothes? C8485110

Peaches

Peaches
Cool, marking those to watch later when I have the time, thanks Stryker2011!

teamweapon

thanks for the advice Smile
im sure the links will come in handy!! i have seen a couple of those before but when i tried to find them i couldnt??
thanks again for the help

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
No problem! Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you do with the weathering. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
One of the best tips I ever recieved was the use of sandpaper. I wish I could recall the member to told me about it, but you can create exceptionally realistic "worn spots" or even "worn holes" very quickly.
For dirt and grime, just keep in mind how that happens in real life. Did they walk through muddy grass? (Heaviest on the cuffs, lighter as it rises.) Were they splashed? Was it from a wound? A car driving through a puddle? Repetitive tasks? Call on your best "CSI" skills and start with thin washes. You can always add more, it's hard to "lessen" the effect. Think about how the soiling agent behaves in real life. Oil tends to spread, blood behaves differently when it comes from inside the character, vs another character near by. Overspray ( as in paint) or fire damage can be affected by something in their path. Although it s not clothing, one of my Robots has fire damage up one side. When his arm is posed , as if he was protecting himself, the pattern is continuous. When his arm is posed normally, there is a break in the pattern.
I hope this was helpful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum