OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GeeWillikers

Just noticed, the HS looks an awful lot like the one they're using on the promo pics for the new S28/29 bodies, but with a red wig plonked on it...

Now if they brought that head out with the shorter dark hair it has in those pics, I'd be tempted.

shazzdan

GeeWillikers wrote:Just noticed, the HS looks an awful lot like the one they're using on the promo pics for the new S28/29 bodies, but with a red wig plonked on it...

Now if they brought that head out with the shorter dark hair it has in those pics, I'd be tempted.

Hmm. Steampunk is supposed to have a retro vibe. A shorter fifties/sixties-style hair cut would certainly work better, even if they kept it red.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

Antmax

I'm interested in getting this as my first figure and want to use it as an art reference model I can put on display in the costume. I know there are going to be issues like the boots and gloves being unique items and she has no replacement hands or feet. So I will have to purchase some separately on Ebay.

The problem I have is that there are hardly any reviews. Only two video reviews and when one of them tried to take her leather waistcoat/jacket off they couldn't figure out any way to do it without putting a scalpel to it and cutting across the overlap of the belt.

Can anyone else confirm that the jacket doesn't come off without surgery? seems rather silly and may very well put me off of purchasing it. I really like the outfit but I am not going to get very far only drawing and painting steam punk  Red Sonja lol.

skywalkersaga

Hello, and welcome, Antmax!

I understand your concern about not wanting to be limited by one single outfit. Have you considered perhaps just purchasing one of the Tbleague female base bodies (I believe the one used here is the s22a -- though don't quote me on that), and using it as your 'nude' option so you don't have to remove the outfit on the actual figure? You could swap the headsculpt over to the nude body when you want to use it for reference. It's an extra expense, but would probably be easiest option with the least damage to the outfit.

Diana

Diana
Antmax wrote:I'm interested in getting this as my first figure and want to use it as an art reference model I can put on display in the costume. I know there are going to be issues like the boots and gloves being unique items and she has no replacement hands or feet. So I will have to purchase some separately on Ebay.

The problem I have is that there are hardly any reviews. Only two video reviews and when one of them tried to take her leather waistcoat/jacket off they couldn't figure out any way to do it without putting a scalpel to it and cutting across the overlap of the belt.

Can anyone else confirm that the jacket doesn't come off without surgery? seems rather silly and may very well put me off of purchasing it. I really like the outfit but I am not going to get very far only drawing and painting steam punk  Red Sonja lol.
Welcome on board! Very Happy

I, too, got into this hobby for the exact same reason. My first set was Painkiller Jane. (Still love her and her outfit is wonderfully minimalistic, too! But she is very muscular.)

My first reaction to your post was this: Just buy
- Sonja as well as
- a loose body, preferably of a different body type, like the S29B for around 60 USD.
You will eventually, anyway. Laughing
That way you have two different body types (athletic and curvy). And get
- a leotard from Ebay ~10 USD while you're at it. And maybe get
- a (bald or short haired) head sculpt, so that you can pose them together.

You won't regret it. It'll be so much fun and helpful having these options!

However, if budget is a little tight, I'd suggest just going with the 1/12 scale. I started with 1/6, but am more and more switching to 1/12 (cause I keep buying stuff), also because the 1/12 scale is easier to capture on camera, AND easier to store/display. The smallest IKEA EKET unit could serve as a photo box.

I have an account on dA just for posed figures for the purpose of reference. Check it out for inspiration and compare whether 1/6 is really worth the financial difference: https://www.deviantart.com/bjd-poses

See you around! Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Diana - good suggestion to get a different body type for multiple 'looks'. That's what I'd do, too. ;D

And I forgot to say.... I really don't recommend removing the clothing if at all possible. I bought a pair of these Red Sonja trousers to use for a custom figure a while ago, and they were a pain to put on. So while you could get them off easily, it would be an extra hassle to keep having to put them back on in order to have her dressed for display. Better to just keep the Red Sonja body as-is, and have a spare body and extra clothing to play around with. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Annalise

Annalise
The top does indeed seem to be virtually impossible to remove intact because the chest and neck straps are affixed.

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2016

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2021

I initially only bought the figure because I very much wanted the head sculpt and even though Steampunk is very much not my cup of tea, when considering that sellers want around $100 (after adding tax) for the head alone and I could get the entire figure with base for $200, it was an easy decision. Turned out to be a happy one as well, because in hand I really like her.

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2018

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2020

For fun I tried the golden Spartan Commander head on her and I think it works.

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2015

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2019

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2017

And of course the Sonja head is great. It looks identical in sculpt to the black Commander head to me and that one is my current favourite. I have some plans for the former, but in the meantime she makes a pretty good Red Woman of R'hllor. Or maybe a scarlet witch? Nope, that name is taken... um, red witch?... burgundy witch?...

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2014

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for confirming about the outfit, Annalise. Your Red Sonja looks gorgeous, with her normal head and as a brunette! :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Yes, this Sonja is definitely the same sculpt as Black Sparta Commander (and both are a slightly less 'soft' version of the unreleased sculpt they used in the promo shoot for the S28/29).

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 S-l1600

davidd

davidd
Annalise, the resemblance between the face sculpt as you have photographed it in images three and four above and the Meygana character actress in the old Bratzillaz music video is uncanny!

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Beautiful photos Annalise and indeed your Red Sonja looks gorgeous!

Diana

Diana
@Annalise: Beautiful photos!! She is gorgeous! I actually prefer the brunette head with that outfit/body as it seems more believable. The actual Sonja head is stunning though and would shine even more with a different simpler outfit. I'm curious to see what you'll do with her! ^^

Antmax

Antmax
Annalise wrote:The top does indeed seem to be virtually impossible to remove intact because the chest and neck straps are affixed.

I initially only bought the figure because I very much wanted the head sculpt and even though Steampunk is very much not my cup of tea, when considering that sellers want around $100 (after adding tax) for the head alone and I could get the entire figure with base for $200, it was an easy decision. Turned out to be a happy one as well, because in hand I really like her.

And of course the Sonja head is great. It looks identical in sculpt to the black Commander head to me and that one is my current favourite. I have some plans for the former, but in the meantime she makes a pretty good Red Woman of R'hllor. Or maybe a scarlet witch? Nope, that name is taken... um, red witch?... burgundy witch?...

Thanks for the excellent photos Annalise, she looks amazing and the brunette head goes really well with the outfit and lighting you have there too. Originally I was thinking of using her for drawing reference but the photos come out really well.

I wish I had some other figures so I could swap out the boots and gloves for some spare hands and feet. My wife and I play table top roleplay games and I often draw and paint our characters. The boots, gloves and leather leggings are pretty staple for her roguish characters. I may still get her despite having to tamper with the outfit. It looks like it costs about $20 to buy a set of hands and feet separately and I really like that she has a hand gun as well as sword and axe. Things I often struggle to get the angles right drawing from my imagination.

If I get hands and feet separately, do you think the regular light skin or suntan is a closer match to the body?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, beautifully done, Annalise.

Antmax, if you get no definite answer from someone else, I would hazard a guess that she is suntan, but I cannot guarantee it.

csyeung

csyeung
Antmax wrote:

Hi Antmax and welcome to the forum. You DO NOT need to use a scapel to take off the top. I bought the top parted out for a kitbash and I will show you in the following pictures how to take it apart. First The neck strap is plugged in via a hole and there is a peg on the back. (I think it's on both sides but I only have this side taken off. You should hit it with a bit of hot air from a hair dryer first, would probably make it easier to pry out. In fact I should do that with mine as it tends to pop out now that it's loosened a bit, but I'm a bit lazy hehe. The second part that comes apart is the silver buckle where you can see there is a triangular shape that it plugs into. I believe this is on both sides as well. Once these are unplugged the top of the harness or shirt or what you'd call it separates enough for you. I don't recall if I squeezed the body top first or bottom first, but it will require a bit of squishing as I recall the bottom strap under the breasts do not come apart. I think i squished the top. (Pegs and holes are circled in red)

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Dsc01710
TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Dsc01712
TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Dsc01711

Antmax

Antmax
csyeung wrote:
Antmax wrote:

Hi Antmax and welcome to the forum. You DO NOT need to use a scapel to take off the top. I bought the top parted out for a kitbash and I will show you in the following pictures how to take it apart. First The neck strap is plugged in via a hole and there is a peg on the back. (I think it's on both sides but I only have this side taken off. You should hit it with a bit of hot air from a hair dryer first, would probably make it easier to pry out. In fact I should do that with mine as it tends to pop out now that it's loosened a bit, but I'm a bit lazy hehe. The second part that comes apart is the silver buckle where you can see there is a triangular shape that it plugs into. I believe this is on both sides as well. Once these are unplugged the top of the harness or shirt or what you'd call it separates enough for you. I don't recall if I squeezed the body top first or bottom first, but it will require a bit of squishing as I recall the bottom strap under the breasts do not come apart. I think i squished the top. (Pegs and holes are circled in red)

Oh wow! Thanks so much csyeung. That is really helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble with the photographs it is really it makes things really clear. A relief and something I can live with. So I will definitely be getting this figure. Everyone is being really helpful, I think I will stick around the forum. Looks like there is lots of information and inspiration here. I occasionally make D&D miniatures out of sculpting putty. Might have a go at making some cool props/accessories once I have a model to build on. I plan to get a male one too after. Probably the athletic male (M33) you usually see with the Kelvin Klein style underpants and the Tough guy head. Its a shame they don't have more male costume sets and maybe fewer skulls among the bases and accessories lol.

csyeung

csyeung
Antmax wrote:
Oh wow! Thanks so much csyeung. That is really helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble with the photographs it is really it makes things really clear. A relief and something I can live with. So I will definitely be getting this figure. Everyone is being really helpful, I think I will stick around the forum. Looks like there is lots of information and inspiration here. I occasionally make D&D miniatures out of sculpting putty. Might have a go at making some cool props/accessories once I have a model to build on. I plan to get a male one too after. Probably the athletic male (M33) you usually see with the Kelvin Klein style underpants and the Tough guy head. Its a shame they don't have more male costume sets and maybe fewer skulls among the bases and accessories lol.

You're welcome. Agreed that sets usually are very specific in what they have, but you can look elsewhere in terms of outfits, there is quite a lot of variety when you start searching for parted out kits. Look for 1/6 clothing on ebay to get a sense of where they are coming from and there are sites that specifically break down sets (toyanxiety, monkeydepot). Lots of amazing and helpful folks around here so feel free to ask questions!

Annalise

Annalise
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Antmax: The current "new" TBL suntan is a match for this body.

Antmax

Antmax
Annalise wrote:Thanks to all for the kind words.

Antmax: The current "new" TBL suntan is a match for this body.

Well I ordered it from bigbadtoystore today. They seem to be the only place with one in stock at a reasonable price. I found a set of Viking Woman tan hands but she's going to have to have moldy feet for the time being. The only feet I could find shipped from the USA were Gethsemoni Queen of Dead feet lol. I might have to get a pair of trigger hands for the revolver at some point.

I just realized today that I have a 12" BBI Elite Forces SAS CQ figure in storage with some cool metal scale weapons and things. Will be interesting to see if those are compatible.

Antmax

Antmax
Well, Red Sonja turned up at my doorstep this morning so I took a couple of quick photos.

I literally removed her out the box and took a couple of snapshots. Since it's the first time I have had a Phicen/Tbleague figure, it was a kind of weird feeling in my hands lol. Softer and more pliable than I had anticipated.

The figure is very nice and detailed and the silicon absorbs light in a realistic way. My wife got her as a valentines gift mostly for figure posing reference but I can see myself falling down the rabbit hole of collecting more figures, clothing and accessories.

I noticed the base has a kind of fire hydrant thing behind her with a removeable lid which looks like there is supposed to be a stand to help stand her up against. Is there supposed to be a post in the box, or something compatible you can stick in there.

Otherwise everything seems in tact, she looks great and there are lots of very nice details, the overall colouring isn't too bright so she could easily be mistaken for a more upmarket painted porcelain figure and looks really good on display.

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 RS_1TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 RS_2TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 RS_3

I'm very pleased with her, have to thank my wife who got Red Sonja for me as a valentines gift.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Antmax wrote:Well, Red Sonja turned up at my doorstep this morning so I took a couple of quick photos.

I literally removed her out the box and took a couple of snapshots. Since it's the first time I have had a Phicen/Tbleague figure, it was a kind of weird feeling in my hands lol. Softer and more pliable than I had anticipated.

The figure is very nice and detailed and the silicon absorbs light in a realistic way. My wife got her as a valentines gift mostly for figure posing reference but I can see myself falling down the rabbit hole of collecting more figures, clothing and accessories.

I noticed the base has a kind of fire hydrant thing behind her with a removeable lid which looks like there is supposed to be a stand to help stand her up against. Is there supposed to be a post in the box, or something compatible you can stick in there.

Otherwise everything seems in tact, she looks great and there are lots of very nice details, the overall colouring isn't too bright so she could easily be mistaken for a more upmarket painted porcelain figure and looks really good on display.

I'm very pleased with her, have to thank my wife who got Red Sonja for me as a valentines gift.

I'm glad you love your first TBLeague figure. And a fine figure it is. Just in case it makes a difference down the line (customizing, care, whatever), it was recently confirmed the material is not (despite early advertising to this effect) silicone, it is a form of TPE. The TBLeague boxed sets often include bases that are not actually stands, so I don't think you are missing a rod to stabilize the figure -- there probably just isn't one. You could imitate some of the photos and have her leaning on her sword for added support. Or you can look (online?) for a simple stand if you prefer -- there are many options.

csyeung

csyeung
Nice pics! Congrats on the new figure!

Annalise

Annalise
Antmax - Gub is correct, you're not missing anything . The pipe/hydrant thing is 2 pcs and no stand. Glad you're liking her.

My golden Spartan head was needed back home where it belongs and that left my steampunk body headless, so I used this DStoys head as an inexpensive remedy. Her expression is suitably grim and the copper hair helps this figure look more realistic, if that word means anything for a fantasy character, and she's still a redhead so she can still be SP Red Sonja. I was having trouble finding a home for this head, my original intention for it didn't work, but I think it looks good with this outfit. The goggles help hide the freakishly tall forehead on this otherwise decent sculpt.

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2028

Basking in the warmth of the campfire... or perhaps blast furnace

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2030

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2029

The "firelight" makes her hair as red as the original!

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 Img_2026

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think it is blast furnace -- after all, she is steampunk. Wink Nicely done, Annalise.

davidd

davidd
csyeung wrote:
Antmax wrote:Can anyone else confirm that the jacket doesn't come off without surgery?

You DO NOT need to use a scapel to take off the top.... First The neck strap is plugged in via a hole and there is a peg on the back....

I decided to try to remove the Red Sonja jacket last night as part of a minor costume modification. As noted above, the neck strap peg pops out easily, as does the silver-colored clasp. The strap around the waist does not appear to unhook, and it fits quite snugly, so considerable "squishing" would be required to pass the upper body through the waist belt.

The plastic jacket is quite stiff, and during what I thought were reasonably careful efforts to work the shoulders and arms out of the sleeves, I managed to tear the TBL body at one of the shoulders. That ended my attempt.

Fortunately the costume covers the torn part of the shoulder, but be advised that the jacket is quite stiff, and it has sharp spikes on it, so there is a risk of damaging the seamless body while removing the Steampunk Sonja jacket.

Also, as csyeung noted, the peg for the neck strap, while it pops loose easily enough, is challenging to put back together and tends to not stay put once removed. It looked like there may have been a dab of adhesive on the connector. I plan to get some super glue to re-secure the neck strap.

davidd

davidd

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 51657723906_0935556bba_z

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 51657723101_9db0442887_z

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 51657945363_d10f03a014

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice photos, but that critter totally steals the show.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool photos, davidd. And yeah -- what is that thing (is it from an aquarium)? Pretty neat.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Steam Punk - Red Sonja / Queen Excalibur [punk version] PL2019-140-A/B - Page 2 C8485110

davidd

davidd
Stryker2011 wrote:And yeah -- what is that thing (is it from an aquarium)? Pretty neat.

"Steampunk Nautilus" cast resin figurine. They turn up on eBay and Amazon from time to time for around $20-$25. I see that some sellers are asking more now. It does not look quite as good in person as it did in the seller stock photos, of course, but with some additional paintwork and shading I think it could look better. It caught my eye a while back and I thought it would make an interesting background prop.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum