OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TB League Rubber Feet Replacement

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153286957_5d8b95295c_bTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr
Modified S09 figure with the feet replaced. It has now has no more difficulty standing
on its own than any figure with detachable feet.

A while back I ordered a TB League S09 figure, not fully understanding that without the detachable feet, this little gal would never really be able to stand without support. I had believed that simply putting it in boots would, especially tight ones would help it stay erect.  I was of course wrong as any of you with any TB League model with non-detachable feet know.  For a while, I considered using this figure for non standing poses only, but in the end decided that I wanted it to be able to stand like my other figures.  The feet had to come off.  I spent quite a long time figuring out how to approach the problem, rejecting several ideas until I finally decided to cut off the existing feet at the ankles and glue them to flat wooden slats that would become the new feet.  

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205836_71b93f0f7a_bIMG_2971 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

When you cut away the foot and pull it off, which is a bit harder than you might think because the body is literally molded around the skeleton and the silicone gets into every empty space, you see that the skeletal part of the foot consists only of an ankle joint with a little metal tongue sticking out that neither runs to the end of the foot nor to the heel, which along with the rubbery nature of the foot itself leads to the problem of instability.  So I carefully cut out some foot shaped flats from some of the strip bamboo I had left over from doing the wall of Kamiko's pad, sanded them down and glued them to the metal skeleton with two heavy coats of epoxy glue as shown in the photos. I made sure that my flats went far enough back to form a heel also.

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205966_5b3b19023e_bIMG_2970 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Though I'd cut the flats out to the same lengths as the original TB League foot, I still found they were sort of short for the boots I was going to dress the figure in, so I added another, longer layer underneath made of popsicle stick, again carefully trimmed and sanded. Next, I filled in the top part of the foot and heel with Milliput epoxy puttey.  After about an hour, I trimmed away the excess putty with a hobby knif and allowed to dry overnight.  Once everything was rock hard, I took out my sandpaper nail files and sanded away and beveled the undersides of the heels to allow them to slide into the boots.  It worked like a charm.  The boots were laced up, and the figure is now able stand on it's own.  

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205646_9b6d6a6bec_bIMG_2981 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205516_4e79083aec_bIMG_2986 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205276_d71e8843d4_hTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement 48153205006_11cde66bde_bTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

The downside of this is that this figure will always need to have boots on if it is to avoid looking like a cyborg. That was a trade off I was willing to make, and be sure you are fully willing to make the trade off before attempting this yourself. The technique is simple, it works, but once you've cut those rubber feet off and pulled them off, there is no going back.  

As always, feel free to ask any questions you may have. For those who may be wondering, the puttees (leg wraps) the figure is wearing have nothing to do with stabilizing it or hiding anything;  I wanted to use them because she represents a desert scout and they are their to keep sand out of her boots.  They also help secure the boot knife on her right leg.

2converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nicely done. A victory of utility over aesthetics. The inability of these bodies to stand can be quite infuriating, and if one can commit to this type of footwear for these figures, your solution resolves the problem. I am told there are certain types of tight boots that do allow the figures to stand by immobilizing both the foot and the ankle, but obviously these are few and far between.

3converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Nicely done. A victory of utility over aesthetics. The inability of these bodies to stand can be quite infuriating, and if one can commit to this type of footwear for these figures, your solution resolves the problem. I am told there are certain types of tight boots that do allow the figures to stand by immobilizing both the foot and the ankle, but obviously these are few and far between.

I think a big part of the problem is in the engineering.

1. The skeleton has no heel.
2. The Tab at the front end of the foot is too narrow and too short
3. The skeletal parts are too deep within the silicone to be able to offer a stable platform.

As the photos will show, From the moment I glued the first set of slats to the skeleton, the figure was able to stand in a stable way.

4converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Very well done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement C8485110

5converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Very well done.

"Brilliant" is a big word. I simply worked the problem through.

6converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:56 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Great job on figuring this one out -- I'm glad you were still able to use the body. And now you will have a very unique custom figure, since most people will not be using this particular body for action characters.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:01 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:Great job on figuring this one out -- I'm glad you were still able to use the body. And now you will have a very unique custom figure, since most people will not be using this particular body for action characters.

I pondered a bunch of options over several months, discarding the impractical solutions in favor of one I was certain would work.

8converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Sun May 02, 2021 12:22 pm

maxman

Thanks for showing how you did the modification. Nicely dressed and photographed figurine.

9converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:48 am

Faster Than Life

Faster Than Life
I'm actually thinking about sculpting some feet for male and female figures that'll be A) more realistic than the weird Barbie feet most of these figures come from and B) still stable enough to stand on their own. I've been able to find more aesthetically pleasing hands, but for some reason feet get neglected. If I'm successful I'll let the forums know...Might take some trial and error on the proportions/stability and I doubt the soles will be able to look right, but hey, I can't go much further wrong than the original weirdly proportioned ones, right?

10converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Faster Than Life wrote:I'm actually thinking about sculpting some feet for male and female figures that'll be A) more realistic than the weird Barbie feet most of these figures come from and B) still stable enough to stand on their own. I've been able to find more aesthetically pleasing hands, but for some reason feet get neglected. If I'm successful I'll let the forums know...Might take some trial and error on the proportions/stability and I doubt the soles will be able to look right, but hey, I can't go much further wrong than the original weirdly proportioned ones, right?

Good luck, that sounds like a very worthy experiment. I agree that realistic hands and feet can greatly contribute to (or detract from) the overall realism.

11converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:21 pm

Faster Than Life

Faster Than Life
skywalkersaga wrote:
Good luck, that sounds like a very worthy experiment. I agree that realistic hands and feet can greatly contribute to (or detract from) the overall realism.

I might as well put that degree in art to some use! The biggest problem will probably be the balance. Though I have noticed that the feet on most of these figures are on the small side in proportion to their bodies...again, ala Barbie. I may make feet that fit the average shoe (aka smaller feet) and then feet that are meant to be used when the figure it barefoot. Are there any particular popular bodies that people might want the feet to be compatible with, besides tbleague?

12converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Faster Than Life wrote:I might as well put that degree in art to some use! The biggest problem will probably be the balance. Though I have noticed that the feet on most of these figures are on the small side in proportion to their bodies...again, ala Barbie. I may make feet that fit the average shoe (aka smaller feet) and then feet that are meant to be used when the figure it barefoot. Are there any particular popular bodies that people might want the feet to be compatible with, besides tbleague?

The TBLeague male and some female figures have larger feet. And due to the difficulty of fitting them into some of the sixth-scale footwear, they have been accused of being gargantuan on this forum. I'm talking about figures with detachable feet from the get go. Check out the TBLeague seamless bodies catalog thread:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3013-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-with-steel-skeleton-catalog-updated-continually

13converting feet - TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Empty Re: TB League Rubber Feet Replacement Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It might help to know the particular tbleague bodies you are referring to, Faster Than Life, since they actually vary a bit in foot size.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum