OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Indeed, a huge collection. How long did it take you to sort? I hope none of them have that special sea smell...

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ReverendSpooky

Really cool. Such a fresh take on the post-apocalyptic concept, and your designs are a lot of fun. Going to enjoy watching these figures come together.

http://reverendspooky.com

Ovy

Thanks guys! I sorted the shells on a free day, started around 11, until the evening, with brakes and the TV running, or YouTube.

The Painkiller Jane arrived. But I have not worked with the body yet, used the headsculpt one the Alice body and started to add some clothing, ropes and accessories. Still a lot to do but it's a start, all joints hidden now. The final version won't have red hair, the sculpt will be used for the Cargo people.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Img_2022

A crab 'skull' I brought from Norway... it's my only one and I'm afraid I might break it. Might be used as primitive breathing device for diving.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Img_2020

For the decorative shoulder plates I used flat shells that already have holes in them and put a cord through them.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Img_2021

Edit: Wow, that serv img compression makes the photos look really bad. I guess I won't use the phone for uploading next time. Click on the photos for decent quality.

skywalkersaga

Looking great so far... !

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, nice start.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looking good. The shells with the holes are really interesting — and how convenient.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks guys! And yes, those shells are very convenient. They are from snails called Haliotis varia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haliotis_varia

I started with a shell man. Both figures swap shells and inspre each other in a way. Synergy and stuff. My male head sculpt is on the way but not there yet, and I don't own a single male head sculpt yet (not counting zombie's!) so I used a sea urchin and a shell as placeholder. I might turn the urchin into a mask. It's a cheaper body and not seamless so I had to get creative.
(And yes another pic directly from the phone..)
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Img_2023

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Shellman looks quite promising, and no one would have suspected there isn't a face underneath. Smile

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
This is an interesting technique, I imagine those shells are mostly lightweight so as to not inhibit the balance of the figures much at all. And the last photo of the figure's head kind of reminds me of a mushroom, which makes me start imagining a whole other line of plant/fungi-based designs for the other tribe.

Ovy

Ovy
Yes most of the shells are very light weight. Some are heavier, but it works out as well. And fungus hats for the forest people sound good!

And yes I will definitely turn one of the urchins into a mask.

I received another headsculpt, a certain 'Cuban Revolutionary hero'. I think it matches the theme quite well, a bit of a scruffy natural looking beard and the hair might be wet from diving. He looks like his ancestors could be from Portugal, Spain, Italy Greece etc.

Some of those Haliotis shells weren't smooth but quite rough, just 1% of the entire pack maybe. I think the smooth ones look better for the girls, while those rougher ones are for the guys. For the right shoulder I tried out some oysters. I first thought I will use the 'ugly' oysters just for Dioramas, but some fit the shoulders really well. I am not sure yet which one to use. The white one looks a bit heroic/leaderlike, while the dark one looks quite brutal. But I won't have to drill holes into it.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2013
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2014
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2015

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like the look of the pieces in the 2nd photo.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Second and third photos look the best. The whole thing looks very promising, and the post-apocalyptic setting allows dissociation from the more negative associations of the original character (albeit romanticized by people with no sufficient sense of history, etc, in my book). Perhaps he can be the leader of an underground movement to unseat Aquaman... Wink But if so, I'd be rooting for Aquaman... Sad

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
These continue to be absolutely fascinating!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Just a couple of ideas that pop into my mind here;

1.  The armor they are wearing leaves a lot of vulnerable spots in critical areas like the chest cavity and:

2.  Have you thought of trying to use really small shells to make a form of scale armor?  

3. Finally, what seems like a natural weapon for these folks to use would be something like the Polynesian spears and leiomano, which are bristling with shark's teeth.  Just a suggestion is a all.

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:I like the look of the pieces in the 2nd photo.
Thanks! And yes, I will go for the dark oyster and use the white one for one of the girls.

GubernatorFan wrote:Second and third photos look the best. The whole thing looks very promising, and the post-apocalyptic setting allows dissociation from the more negative associations of the original character (albeit romanticized by people with no sufficient sense of history, etc, in my book). Perhaps he can be the leader of an underground movement to unseat Aquaman... Wink But if so, I'd be rooting for Aquaman... Sad
Well, as the shell people don't wear t-shirts, he won't have that great cult of personality.
Hah, and yes, Aquaman Vs. The Evil deep sea communists.
But these are just normal people trying to survive, not superhuman overpowered lasershark riding beings like...Jason Momoa.

skywalkersaga wrote:These continue to be absolutely fascinating!
Thank you!

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Just a couple of ideas that pop into my mind here;

1.  The armor they are wearing leaves a lot of vulnerable spots in critical areas like the chest cavity and:

2.  Have you thought of trying to use really small shells to make a form of scale armor?  

3. Finally, what seems like a natural weapon for these folks to use would be something like the Polynesian spears and leiomano, which are bristling with shark's teeth.  Just a suggestion is a all.

Thank you for the suggestions Photogs! The 'armor' was actually supposed to have more of a ritualistic/religious/fashion function than be actual protective armor, as the giant claws of the mutant lobsters crush everything easily anyway, but they might get into conflict with other human tribes, so you are right about the lack of protection, of course. So I used the 'standard' shells which have not seen much use yet. They come in many colours, I am open for suggestions!
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2017

Just a simple try to create primitive body armor. The scale armor idea is great of course, maybe combined with a fishing net and fabric padding. But I don't have the right shells for it yet,  I think.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2018

And yes, shark spears are also a great idea. For now I used cony shells for spears. I will combine them with towershields made from very, very big shells.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Psx_2016

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Those shells, however "standard" in appearance, look so cool in the different colors -- whether or not that can be worked into the story. In fact you have so much potential with your sea peoples (or whatever they were called -- sorry if I got confused), that you could probably easily create a self-contained world and story for them -- whether post-apocalyptic, pre-modern, or pure fantasy.
As for Jason Momoa, since I'll probably end up with 3 different head sculpts for him at this point, it occurs to me (admittedly on the basis of various films he has been in) that he can star as three different characters at once: a sea prince, a steppe prince, and a woodsmen prince, triplets separated at birth, pitted against each other by fate, united (or divided?) by love for the same platinum-blonde. I hereby claim copyright on the idea and am definitely designing a sultry over-the-top romantic book cover Smile

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks!

And yeah I guess you mean the new sideshow Aquaman head, the good face+bad hairline head and the perfect head? Cringy book covers are always welcome. Wink

I started to make necklaces. I had to drill a hole in every shell. I used the smallest shells and one bigger pendant in the middle.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 PkgCeV7

The cony ones for the man.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 YYVzorF

And I started to work on the Painkiller Jane/seamless phicen body. I read all about it, but those steel skeletons, top.

Anyway, what could be the purpose of that closed clam?[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 KHPdZyz

It opens, of course.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 WdV6Yua

Sawed/drilled some dents into it.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 BYcrXKb

The latest trend in Post-European light combat swimwear.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 VacMmRB

Of course I had to cover the joints.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 YDH5hpl

For these necklaces I used a more interesting, bigger shell as pendant, getting smaller on both sides. And starfish!
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 NsU7wjt

Is that a hiplace? And a starfish, just like in the drawing.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 K0lEFQa

Experimenting with shoulder shells.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 GL8tXCP

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 QEHaTst

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 VUCSGC8

And to raise badass levels, now with creepy shell mask. Not sure yet if to put holes or a slit in for viewing.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 AVtSzhz

And here the 'tower shield' shell, Atrina vexilium (or Atrina scutum, how it is called in Post-European Mediterrania)
Two were broken during transport. The smaller segments have many uses, when I broke down the sections I accidentally got a little sword or spearhead, it's the one Mrs Jovovich wields in the photos, I will get better pictures of it another time.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 0egHMmc

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, she looks stunning! I'm also seriously impressed by your collection of gorgeous shells! 

Random question... what is that gauze type material you are using as their clothing? It seems like something that would come in really handy for 1/6 customizing in general...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Very nice work, I've been thinking about getting my first female Phicen and you may have inspired me to finally go through with it.
Are the marks/bruises intentional? They seem like just enough to look real without overdoing it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks very good -- I'm particularly impressed by your choice and ability to string up these tiny shells, which still look plausible on sixth-scale figures. The details are falling into place quite nicely.
AlKelAstra, the body used is from a TBLeague set (Painkiller Jane) which had the bruises on it by design.

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Wow, she looks stunning! I'm also seriously impressed by your collection of gorgeous shells! 

Random question... what is that gauze type material you are using as their clothing? It seems like something that would come in really handy for 1/6 customizing in general...
Thanks a lot!
And the material is actually old socks and tights from my late grandma. She would find their new use funny I think. There is a drawer full of those. Some are rough, some smooth, I use the rough ones for the shell people. They come in grey, dark grey, tusken beige, Jedi brown, senator white silk, dark green and rose etc. I don't think they are expensive to buy but I never had a look yet. It is a great material, very stretchy, and you can regulate the transparency with multiple layers etc. Best cut with round blade.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Very nice work, I've been thinking about getting my first female Phicen and you may have inspired me to finally go through with it.
Are the marks/bruises intentional? They seem like just enough to look real without overdoing it.
Yeah, thanks! Tell them I send you, maybe I get a discount.
And yes as Gubernator said, it's from that Painkiller Jane figure. I think those bruises make sense here, since there are so many sharp objects she is confronted with.

GubernatorFan wrote:Looks very good -- I'm particularly impressed by your choice and ability to string up these tiny shells, which still look plausible on sixth-scale figures. The details are falling into place quite nicely.
AlKelAstra, the body used is from a TBLeague set (Painkiller Jane) which had the bruises on it by design.
Thanks again. Yes those little details are quite important, I see it every time I remove them.

Another male headsculpt arrived. It was unnamed and looked a bit like Tom Hardy on the eBay image. It's a bit bigger than Che 'Cuban Revolutionary Hero'
I actually planned to use the second male body and this head to start one of the forest Guys, but I experimented with shells again. I might change it later, his sad eyes are better suited for the forest guys than the shell people.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 8y2TNvy

But the sculpt doesn't look like Hardy. And I think it's good, I want the sculpts to look realistic, but also want to avoid getting real famous people. A bit of Charlie Hunnam? Charlie Hardy? Tom Hunnam, who plays that Jedi on this 'Peaky Vikings' show? I might confuse something.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 ZPXCzDZ

Tried to use one ugly long oyster as a kind of parry shield, and the long white shell as shield/blade. I imagine this thing is quite sharp.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 8C3ec8G

He might be one who draws the attention of the giant sea crabs and parries it's attacks, distracting the creature long enough until one of the girls can finish it with a precision strike on a weak spot.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 QsbycXe

Yes, fancy bright colours. Sorry Christopher Nolan.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Rn7hJhv

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm loving this, and your commentary on top of it... I like the new kitbash/custom and the "sad" Tom Hunnam/Charlie Hardy sculpt. Any chance you happen to have a link or the specific product name?

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks Gubr!

The head sculpt is called km 16-92. Km is for kumik I guess.
https://www.kesavamall.com/kumik-16-scale-male-head-sculpt-carving-model-km1691-f-12039039-action-figure-toy-p-598177.htm

I now have all the head sculpts (for now, ha, ha..:/)

I got a ym toys head with 'real' (or unsculpted, rooted, whatever) hair. It looks like that on the promo pics.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 10_6437d1fd-0aed-4b7b-a5ad-9e4b4f007f27_700x700

It looked like that when it arrived...
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 JxL8M9n
It has no texture at all, one plain skin tone like color and lazy red lips. But I guess that all might be intentional. A nearly blank canvas with eyes and primer, or something like that. (...)

I hoped I would get around painting heads but we'll why not? I used my humble face painting skills from my 1/12 stormtroopers, added some shading and freckle texture.  That's the third time I toned down red lips I guess. (Jovovichs blood red lips where toned down too as you might have noticed in the previous posts) So is there anyone with a link about 1/6 hair styling? Does it depend on the material? Water and styling gel? How to make braids? A lot to learn...
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Xwp2rcT

Added a headband for style and a bead for testing. The hair became a bit frizzy when handling. But I guess she can sell that post apocalyptic Mediterranean look now, what do you think?
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 HJkRVJZ

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I like where you are going with this.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the link, just ordered one.

She looks good, even if not exactly like the promotional photo, and you have certainly found a way of integrating her with your intended look. Photogsblog posted on artificial hair manipulation HERE. My experience is with tibetan lamb hair, which is different (there the trick is to apply some shampoo + conditioner, slightly diluted in water); that's what I've been doing with Fireman Chad, for example.

Ovy

Ovy
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I like where you are going with this.  
Thanks, it's a journey.

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the link, just ordered one.

She looks good, even if not exactly like the promotional photo, and you have certainly found a way of integrating her with your intended look. Photogsblog posted on artificial hair manipulation HERE. My experience is with tibetan lamb hair, which is different (there the trick is to apply some shampoo + conditioner, slightly diluted in water); that's what I've been doing with Fireman Chad, for example.
Has your Hunndy arrived yet? Mine had some eye glaze on the lid, but otherwise good product.
And thanks for all the hair tips you two.

I think I finished her weapon. I think it's more axe than sword. But can also be used as a spade.

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 40klTOj

As you can see I also experimented with beads for fancyness.
Which cony shell on the end? It's like building your own lightsaber but much, much cheaper.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 UjSdejl

She is quite proud.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 1Dxpngi

*Primal predatory roar* More beads also, used some to keep the shoulder shell in place.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 Hs6fB5O

That blade is very shiny.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 VSEotTR

The next one will be the spear for the guy. Glueing driftwood together etc.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 IvQ4tG4

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like the weapon, including the beads for fanciness' sake. Smile

"Hundy" hasn't arrived yet -- still in the process of getting shipped from China by the looks of it -- but now he has a name Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool looking weapon. Nice touch with all the different elements.

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:I like the weapon, including the beads for fanciness' sake. Smile

"Hundy" hasn't arrived yet -- still in the process of getting shipped from China by the looks of it -- but now he has a name Smile

Yes those beads also serve as 'filler' for the little necklace shells. I like to imagine those matte/frosty transparent beads are made from old glass found in the sand.
My first attempt was much more colorful. I eliminated the red later because it was too dominant.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 87ZfZOR

Stryker2011 wrote:Cool looking weapon. Nice touch with all the different elements.
Cheers! While I like painting things, it's much more convenient to use the right materials from the start, if that's possible. Works especially good with 'natural' stuff I guess. I wouldn't be able to paint wood like that, or the blade.

Spear/Harpoon now has a tip. I don't know how useful or balanced something like that would be in real life, photogsblogs shark teeth idea might make more sense. But it can always have a ritualistic or religious function. Or used as a club.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 E9rv6ge

I will add some fancyness later of course.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 NydKyzI

And now also with a shield. I used elastic beaded bands to keep that heavy thing in place, still experimenting. I am not sure if to glue something like straps on the backside.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 TfMYpSJ

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 87ZfZOR

He is not the only one with a shield.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 HJ07LFi

Step forward pls
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 07Tl0pj

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 7Pd39Jc

[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 PF8YTG8

As you see, both shields are from the same broken shell piece. And the blade of the weapon, too. I don't want to break shells intentionally, but when they break there is often much potential in the shards.

Those two found this hard to obtain shell in dangerous water and hauled it to the beach together. When they had a fight over it, it broke in two. They had a laugh and now have arranged with that.
[11/7/19] Eurocalypse: Mediterran Mega Update pt. 4 of 4(!) - Page 2 RH84BA4

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum