OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spataflage Troopers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spataflage Troopers Empty Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:41 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
So I've been a little busy.

I wanted to give a different camo style a shot and thought I'd go for the Spataflage style, similar to that on Colonial Marine armor from Aliens.

Here's my first attempt.
Spataflage Troopers 48646641123_ab70c23c10_c
Spataflage Troopers 48647004921_c88c890e1c_c

Second Attempt.
Spataflage Troopers 48647140552_d330703bb1_c
Spataflage Troopers 48647004856_f16b8c5085_c

Third Attempt.
Spataflage Troopers 48647140502_98cb4e2899_c
Spataflage Troopers 48647140452_73f7faebe3_c
Spataflage Troopers 48647140632_cdc55a3252_c

The third is my favourite of the bunch.

The lot got new belts made from hockey tape, and web suspenders from carnation ribbon.
A couple got holsters, also from hockey tape.
The third has a kama made from hockey tape and paper towel. I also modified the blaster on the third to include a sling,
functional retracting stock, scope, and an extra greeblie on the side made from a stir stick.

Spataflage Troopers 48646641183_0e9d2b5953_c

For a little extra, here's a trooper I did up.
Spataflage Troopers 48647005056_146129c6d9_c
Spataflage Troopers 48646641308_068e798c8b_c

There's a pretty good chance he'll wind up as the gunner in the 1/12 tank I'm working on.

2Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
To be honest, I don't remember the style. However, I think your mods look great! Your troopers' appearance is probably more striking and interesting than the original, especially when it comes to "Death Troopers." (The sandtrooper makes sense because they get dirty, but this type of armor is perhaps too concretely associated with traditional white.) Were you inspired by the Snowtroopers for the kama? They are (or used to be -- when I was a kid) my favorite look.

3Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:To be honest, I don't remember the style. However, I think your mods look great! Your troopers' appearance is probably more striking and interesting than the original, especially when it comes to "Death Troopers." (The sandtrooper makes sense because they get dirty, but this type of armor is perhaps too concretely associated with traditional white.) Were you inspired by the Snowtroopers for the kama? They are (or used to be -- when I was a kid) my favorite look.

Thanks man! Snowtroopers are some of my favourites, too. I've given my 6" ones cloth kamas, too.
Spataflage Troopers 34218826171_d5719009dc_c

I think that was the first time on-screen a trooper was shown with something like that. The design is pretty common with some Clone Troopers, too.

This is the type of camo that was seen on the Colonial Marine armor.
Spataflage Troopers Aliens-Colonial-Marine-Armor-1

4Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:03 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah, your weathered Snowtroopers look pretty awesome too -- and so nice you upgraded them to cloth kamas. Now that you mention it, I do remember some clone troopers like that, though that is outside my usual area of competence. And I think you improved on the colonial marine camo by going for a darker, more stylish look.

5Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Ah, your weathered Snowtroopers look pretty awesome too -- and so nice you upgraded them to cloth kamas. Now that you mention it, I do remember some clone troopers like that, though that is outside my usual area of competence. And I think you improved on the colonial marine camo by going for a darker, more stylish look.

Thanks man, really appreciate it!

I'm in the same boat, I'm not really one for clones myself.

6Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:31 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:Thanks man, really appreciate it! I'm in the same boat, I'm not really one for clones myself.

You are welcome and thank you for sharing your work. I actually enjoyed the clone trooper design enough to get a bunch of the super-articulated 3.75 inch figures by Hasbro when they came out, but they gave us so many types and subtypes and updates I completely lost track of them. Still, they are one of the few things I liked about the Prequel Trilogy. Speaking of trooper types, if you haven't done so, check out my review of HT's ROTJ stormtroopers (HERE); hope you like.

7Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:44 am

Ovy

Ovy
You have been busy indeed! I said it many times before, but this is how I want ground troops to look like. Do you have a Bandai Deathtrooper too? They have the option for that huge grenade and ammo pouch equipment on the belly.

And of course I like the superheavy weathered dark grey trooper with the yellow shoulder. Now who would have thought that. xD I am sure your tank will turn out great. One of those Rogue One..ones I guess?

Snowtroopers are great too. Kamas are very aestethic, especially those Canadian ones.

8Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:17 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Ovy wrote:You have been busy indeed! I said it many times before, but this is how I want ground troops to look like. Do you have a Bandai Deathtrooper too? They have the option for that huge grenade and ammo pouch equipment on the belly.

And of course I like the superheavy weathered dark grey trooper with the yellow shoulder. Now who would have thought that. xD I am sure your tank will turn out great. One of those Rogue One..ones I guess?

Snowtroopers are great too. Kamas are very aestethic, especially those Canadian ones.

Haha thanks! I actually don't have any Bandai troops yet, though I may look into making some web belts and such at some point.

And the tank I'm working on is a beast! It's a 1/12 M1 Abrams. Brand new, it was fully RC and capable of firing air soft BBs 30 feet.

I found her in rough shape at a thrift shop, missing its electronics, most of the barrel, its treads and lots of other stuff...for 7 bucks.

This is it before I started doing any work to it.
Spataflage Troopers 48670396173_9f690922f2_b

9Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 am

Ovy

Ovy
Nice find! I guess you will remove/have removed the wheels? A mounted MG or however they call that gun in Star Wars will look great I think.

And that caped Stormtrooper down there is a beauty.

10Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:40 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Ovy wrote:Nice find! I guess you will remove/have removed the wheels? A mounted MG or however they call that gun in Star Wars will look great I think.

And that caped Stormtrooper down there is a beauty.

Thanks!
I'm likely gonna keep the wheels on, but may make a 'skirt' to camouflage them, kinda like with a hover craft. My almost-4-year-old loves this thing (it's almost as big as he is) and loves playing with it...so it'll be a bit of a balancing act between making it look Star Wars-y and sturdy enough to withstand his destructive tendencies.

Planning on adding at least one mounted blaster up top, and a couple other blasters from an old 3¾" Snow Speeder I had that actually fire little darts.

Gonna be doing up a 4 or 5 man crew for it as well.

11Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:08 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gorgeous tank and troops. For what it is worth, the "skirt" would give it a look more along the lines of the Rogue One assault tank.

12Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:34 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Gorgeous tank and troops. For what it is worth, the "skirt" would give it a look more along the lines of the Rogue One assault tank.

Thanks man! That's exactly what I was thinking. Take some cues from that and some WWII tanks, definitely going for a 'loaded down with stowed gear and equipment' type look.

13Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:Thanks man! That's exactly what I was thinking. Take some cues from that and some WWII tanks, definitely going for a 'loaded down with stowed gear and equipment' type look.

Will you be putting a continuous track on it?

14Spataflage Troopers Empty Re: Spataflage Troopers Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:
PickleMunkey wrote:Thanks man! That's exactly what I was thinking. Take some cues from that and some WWII tanks, definitely going for a 'loaded down with stowed gear and equipment' type look.

Will you be putting a continuous track on it?

Naw probably not. Will be keeping some wheels to let my kid roll it around, though.

I've also opened the cupola up to allow 2 figures to sit in it, though I'll need to rig up a couple hatches.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum