OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: ADD Toys: 1/6 scale Silver Man/Silver Hero AD05

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Nice improvement with the stronger magnets, AFM.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Adeno

Silver Surfer's beautiful! Interestingly, I imagined a painted version of his face and he kinda looks like Mr. Clean lol Smile White T-shirt and jeans and suddenly he'll be the hero of everyone's laundry!

Moonbase Alpha Male

Hey AFM, well done you!  The magnets addition for riding the board is an excellent upgrade but it posits some questions.  I've picked up a bit of experience because many of my figures get photographed on a metal office shelving unit so they get foot magnets temporarily or permanently.  

Neodymiums are amazing but I think I have a better buying tip than either Hobby Lobby or Amazon:  Lee Valley.  Not only cheaper and maybe stronger, but these have another characteristic that works great for our purposes.  They have peel-and-stick adhesive on one side, and to quote the Lee Valley blurb, "The 1/4" diameter size uses a thin film adhesive that sticks best to smooth surfaces; the four larger sizes use a foam-backed adhesive that conforms well to slight surface irregularities."  You can buy various sizes, but the best amazing deal is a set of 52 (various sizes) for $16.40 (US) https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/disc/73479-adhesive-backed-rare-earth-magnets?item=99K3490 or $21.50 (Canada) https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/disc/73479-adhesive-backed-rare-earth-magnets?item=99K3490.

I am wondering when you made the sole incision, did you just insert the magnet loose, or were you able to glue it onto the figure's inner foot solid surface?  Because, if it's only the resealed skin holding onto it, the risk is that it could strain and maybe rip the skin fairly quickly.  I think that risk is also increased with that size of magnet, as it's actually stretching the skin.  If I had to duplicate that task, with the benefit of seeing the AFM method, I would probably vary it by using the Lee Valley magnets that are already glue adhesive on the foot side; and I would probably slide a row of 2 or 3 of the smaller size into the foot rather than one larger one.  Actually I keep buying sets of 52 and using up the larger sizes, so finding some legit use for the smaller ones would be a bonus.

Loving the AFM upgrade but still not sold on the underlying ADD figure.  Even on the excellently lit and shot pictures by Diana (good job there) it falls unsurprisingly a bit short of the level of gleam/shine that the ADD promo pictures promised.  Plus there's a lot of flocking that I can only assume ADD must have cynically photoshopped out of the promo pics.  If the trade-off is between the ML Icons being shinier and stabler skin, but with the harshness of visible joints, probably I can live with that, especially as it was far cheaper and I have one already.  It would be interesting actually if someone could make a version still jointed like the ML Icons but upgraded to actual full-on chrome, but maybe there's no retail market niche for that.

superhero - NEW PRODUCT: ADD Toys: 1/6 scale Silver Man/Silver Hero AD05 - Page 3 99k34910

actionfiguremovies2

Moonbase Alpha Male
Those magnets are very cool. I didn't reseal the cut or glue the magnets in. So far the magnets I used are not causing and stress of damage to the skin on the bottom of the feet. I could easily replace them or switch them out. I'll look into the other magnets. Thanks for the link brother.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the recommendations, MBAM.

Diana

Diana
Wow! Your model does seem less shiny. Weird.

I've not had any tears and upon closer inspection I still see no bubbles. The markings on his chest look intentional to me. The silver looks more real and... worn?, which I like very much.

I did discover some surface scratches and I don't know, whether they were there already or happened while barely handling him at all and with a lot of care... I don't mind those either though. I find perfection to be less believable, so he is perfect to me with pigmentation and scratches. Smile

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Working on getting the shine back.
superhero - NEW PRODUCT: ADD Toys: 1/6 scale Silver Man/Silver Hero AD05 - Page 3 51330409363_dc7deaf5e2_bDSC09904 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

We'll see how it hold up. So far,so good. Going to not touch him for many days.

Diana

Diana
Wow. I am appalled. I forgot all about this figure and checked up on him the other day. I forgot I had left him in the closed cupboard since I unpacked him. Shame on me, but THIS should NOT have happened! The pose is not THAT challenging!

No wonder this guy is still being sold at discounted prices. KGHobby have him reduced by 64 USD... Word must have gotten out how bad the quality is.

Arrgh!

At the time this was the most expensive figure I had ever bought, too! That hurts...

superhero - NEW PRODUCT: ADD Toys: 1/6 scale Silver Man/Silver Hero AD05 - Page 3 Silver10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ouch! Yes, that is pretty damn disappointing. We've always known ADD was less than perfect, but that is irredeemable.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m guessing it was more a reaction to the paint rather than just the pose.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

superhero - NEW PRODUCT: ADD Toys: 1/6 scale Silver Man/Silver Hero AD05 - Page 3 C8485110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum