OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting Phicen figures with silicone paint

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gooboo

I recently decided to try out painting some of my Phicens with some home-made silicone paint. I was thinking earlier about buying some artist grade silicone paint, but it looked somewhat pricey and the pandemic made buying and shipping the paint more complicated. Then I read that you can basically make your own silicone paint at home buy combining silicone caulk with oil paints and use OMS as a solvent to thin it down, so I decided to try this method out first.

Painting Phicen figures with silicone paint Paint510

Those were the materials I used. I already had oil paints and OMS (Gamsol specifically) on hand, and I bought some GE silicone 1 from the hardware store and got to painting.

I have some more elaborate painting schemes in mind for future characters, but I thought I would start out with something simple. Like nipples!

First you need to clean the area you want to paint on thoroughly with soap and water. After doing that you might want to wipe some acetone or solvent on the spot in order to remove any lingering grease or dust. Depending on how much silicone you use in your painting mixture, the result will probably end up a little shiny. I worked around this by having my final layer of paint use a little more oil than silicone, so it decreased the shininess somewhat. Once I added baby powder to the figure everything seemed to blend together in terms of glossiness. The particular brand of silicone I used dries very quickly- you only have a few minutes to paint an area of the figure before it starts becoming tacky, which would make painting a large area of the figure rather difficult. If you mess up and area you can just wipe the paint off with solvent.

Since there isn't really any way for me to post the images here and still be able to see the actual work, you'll have to click on the links below.

https://servimg.com/view/20089287/57

https://servimg.com/view/20089287/58

This is a darker skinned body that I had dyed earlier. I'm still working on making matching hands/feet and painting a custom head.

https://servimg.com/view/20089287/59

I originally was looking into silicone paints because I wanted to know whether or not it would be an effective method of painting an entire phicen figure a darker color. While that's probably possible, my little experiment here leads me to think that would be really difficult to do without an airbrush to lay down the color, even then it would be hard to paint since you'd have to spray evenly on all of the various contours and crevices of the body. I think this method of painting is good for smaller details- I'm thinking about making a freckled body at some point in the future.

I would describe the silicone paint, once it has dried, to be "functionally" permanent. It doesn't come off with soap and water, and doesn't stain other fabrics. I say functionally because if you rub or scratch the material pretty hard, it will start to peel off, and if you take a cloth and soak it with solvent you'll weaken and dissolve the silicone. But otherwise, regular handling shouldn't remove the paint from the surface. I actually prefer this over being completely permanent because I can change things at a later date if I want to, which isn't uncommon for me because I like to nitpick things. Also, the permanency of color of the paint will depend on how much silicone you use in your mixture relative to the oil paint. If you use mostly oil paint and a little silicone, soap and water will make the color fade somewhat. So basically don't rub or scratch the area really hard.

I've never used actual artist's grade silicone paint before, so I can't say what the difference is between this method and using ready-made silicone paints. I imagine the professional paints lay down on the figure more evenly, and probably don't dry quite as quickly. Once they do dry they're probably more permanent as well. But if you aren't interested in spending money on professional silicone paints, or just want to paint something simple, this seems to be an effective method.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hmmm, can’t see anything without creating an imgur account.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting Phicen figures with silicone paint C8485110

gooboo

Whoops I didn't realize that. What's another website I should use?

***Nevermind, I think I fixed it.***

Diana

Diana
Great results! Thank you for taking the plunge! Smile
And I really want to see that custom head finished... bounce

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the report and examples on this experiment. I have used something like this, too, for small areas like nipples (the best results were achieved by mixing in some silicone pigment, Silc Pig, into silicone glue), with the same semi-permanent result (which could be rubbed/picked off with a little bit of effort). The reversibility does come in handy sometimes, but I have since abandoned this method for oil pastel.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ve tried the Silc-Pig method on large areas, but it didn’t stick sufficiently to be an effective method. As The Guv pointed out, it probably works okay with small areas where if you wanted you could peel it off, but a more permanent result doesn’t seem viable. I wonder what type of silicone TBL is using? ‘Cause the Silc Pig didn’t work hardly at all — and I know they have their own silicone that they want you to buy for their paints.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ve tried the Silc-Pig method on large areas, but it didn’t stick sufficiently to be an effective method. As The Guv pointed out, it probably works okay with small areas where if you wanted you could peel it off, but a more permanent result doesn’t seem viable. I wonder what type of silicone TBL is using? ‘Cause the Silc Pig didn’t work hardly at all — and I know they have their own silicone that they want you to buy for their paints.

If (I'm not sure that's what you implied) you tried to apply the Silc-Pig directly to the existing silicone shape, it would not work -- it is meant to be mixed in with silicone (for convenience I used transparent silicone glue sold in hardware stores), and then that can be applied onto an existing silicone piece. But, yes, in my experience, you can peel it off if you really tried.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
No, it wasn’t paint directly, it was mixed with their silicone adhesive (you combine the two), and it didn’t hold at all.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:No, it wasn’t paint directly, it was mixed with their silicone adhesive (you combine the two), and it didn’t hold at all.

Hmm... is it possible you put in too much pigment? A tiny little bit is enough to mix in and color a surprisingly large volume. Putting too much might compromise the integrity of the silicone -- maybe.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:No, it wasn’t paint directly, it was mixed with their silicone adhesive (you combine the two), and it didn’t hold at all.

Hmm... is it possible you put in too much pigment? A tiny little bit is enough to mix in and color a surprisingly large volume. Putting too much might compromise the integrity of the silicone -- maybe.

No, it was essentially just one tiny drop of pigment.

gooboo

A lot of the artist grade silicone paints I looked at specifically stated they were made for platinum-based silicone, whatever that is, which might not be what Phicen uses for their figures. That was one of the reasons I decided to try out the cheaper hardware store solution first.

mypint

I hope that this reaches everyone that has struggled with the Phicen/TBLeague seamless silicone figures.

Those figures are NOT silicone. They are using TPE - Thermoplastic Elastomer. It's like a flexible plastic/rubber material but none of the Smooth-On products work. Neither does the Plaid FX flexible acrylic paint. Not flexible.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
mypint wrote:I hope that this reaches everyone that has struggled with the Phicen/TBLeague seamless silicone figures.

Those figures are NOT silicone. They are using TPE - Thermoplastic Elastomer. It's like a flexible plastic/rubber material but none of the Smooth-On products work. Neither does the Plaid FX flexible acrylic paint. Not flexible.

That is correct. We found out some time ago and updated some but not all the info on the site (there is just too much). That was after Ephiane figured out the oil pastels hack and others experimented with RIT dye.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum