OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What can we do to spread the word about OSF?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
See subject.

Our group thus far is less than a week old.  It's basic and simple.  We're slowly growing.  The origin and purpose of this group is explained by the group's founder GubernatorFan.

--

Welcome to the One Sixth Figures forum, established March 30, 2018. Please bear with us as develop this new community.

With the old One Sixth Warriors forum continuously plagued by technical issues that do not seem to be resolved, some of us considered the creation of an alternative home for our hobby community. This is still in its experimental stages, but we hope that it will attract the same collegial and well-intentioned membership. This forum is intended for all sixth-scale enthusiasts, regardless of whether they collect or kitbash military or civilian, historical or fantastical figures in this scale.

--

What can we do to spread the word about OSF in a proper and respectful manner without coming off like we're taking advantage or doing so recklessly?

For those of us here thus far . . . we found our way here through word of mouth.  Should we all continue that to increase members?

In addition, while we all still participate and view elsewhere (even with technical and other woes), any group is what the members make or don't make of it.

I'm just speaking out loud.  It's been a long time since I joined a group starting out on the ground level.  I usually join established groups.  I want to see this group grow and succeed.

#discussion

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m with GubernatorFan on this, to be honest. Right now, anyway, I think the word-of-mouth method might be the best option. I sent out about a dozen PMs as invites, and we managed to get a few. I was going to do more, but then I couldn’t get back on OSW. If others here can still get on over there, I think sending out PMs is the best option. I’d like to think that OSW will eventually get out of its current state and we can then have that and this (I’d hate to think that this site might be abandoned were that to happen), and if OSW never recovers... well, getting the word out as best we can will only help everyone.
I just recently saw a post over there where someone flat out said they were done with OSW due to the intrusive ads and were leaving for good, but I wasn’t able to get back on to send an invite, and now it’s probably too late to reach that person. It’s sad what’s going on over there, to say the least.
I just hope that folks will start posting more here (ie, WIP, final builds, new products, etc), like we see at OSW. The more we do that, I believe, the more attention we can draw to this site, and perhaps build our ranks. For as new as this place is, I’m actually pleasantly surprised how many members we have already.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

What can we do to spread the word about OSF? C8485110

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
I have PM'd a few members that I had communication with outside of OSW.
I have also mentioned the new site on the Action Man Mobile Ops forum. They have a larger following in the U.K.
I don't ( personally ) have worries about "stealing" anyone's members by promoting our new forum this way, I am posting on both right now. It might be Boring for some of the people over there to see my same posts twice, but nobody has complained.
I would still post on OSW as well, of it were feasible, but the new layout really spoils the experience.
I haven't personally noticed him yet, but are we getting Pukingdog or any of the other OSW staff?
I'm not familiar enough with the workings of the site to know if they are obligated to it beyond loyalty.
I've been thinking of putting up a notice on the bulletin board at the library. My feeling is there may be military enthusiast locally that would join if they knew about us, but don't nescessarily do much searching via their computers. I frequently see small scale military models on display there, it might even create a new 1/6 enthusiast.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Pontiacivan wrote:I have PM'd a few members that I had communication with outside of OSW.
I have also mentioned the new site on the Action Man Mobile Ops forum. They have a larger following in the U.K.
I don't ( personally ) have worries about "stealing" anyone's members by promoting our new forum this way, I am posting on both right now. It might be Boring for some of the people over there to see my same posts twice, but nobody has complained.
I would still post on OSW as well, of it were feasible, but the new layout really spoils the experience.
I haven't personally noticed him yet, but are we getting Pukingdog or any of the other OSW staff?
I'm not familiar enough with the workings of the site to know if they are obligated to it beyond loyalty.
I've been thinking of putting up a notice on the bulletin board at the library. My feeling is there may be military enthusiast locally that would join if they knew about us, but don't nescessarily do much searching via their computers. I frequently see small scale military models on display there, it might even create a new 1/6 enthusiast.

--

Personally speaking, I don't believe the OSW admins are necessarily interested in joining our group. If they want to join, they're welcome to do so.

No disrespect to them in any way.

In using an analogy/metaphor, our group is a like a newly established small Western frontier town. We're slowly getting ourselves established and we have one Sheriff.

Me? Maybe I'm like Al Swearengen?

Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Has anyone thought to invite Jeff Saylor? Like Zipcoolo, he tends to post a lot of new product (and sales info). I'm doing what I can to help out, but once I'm able to go back to work... that won't really be possible (as I'll be back to being away from home Mon-Fri).

brassco

brassco
the question is, why should hobbyist visit this site? what's unique about this site?

my 2 cents worth.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
brassco wrote:the question is, why should hobbyist visit this site? what's unique about this site?

my 2 cents worth.

--

1. For starters, this site does not have the same ongoing and unresolved technical woes as the OSW.

2. This site may not have all the bells and whistles of the OSW (when it was properly working), but given what is known thus far and what is still being learned considering this site is now right at being active for one week . . . we're not doing too bad.

3. The atmosphere and attitude here thus far is more laid back. You have a group admin who actually gives a $%^& about the 1:6 hobby, its members, and how to discuss/promote it while addressing members needs and answering questions.

The focus and goal of this site is not to take away from the OSW or necessarily to replace the OSW or even do better than the OSW. It's not about competition. Over the years, we've all seen other 1:6 groups announced at the OSW. Whether they succeeded/thrived? I don't know. What I do know is the new owner/management is not necessarily "taking care" of the OSW and there is some unsaid and said frustration that is boiling and/or boiled over behind the scenes.

That's my $.02 in response to your question and I took it for what it is with no malice.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Call me paranoid or overcautious, but anyone here who may be innocently reaching out to like minded members and inviting them to visit and consider joining the OSF exercise discretion.

WHY?

Prior to OSW being acquired by the new owners, members usually posted/shared information and links to new 1:6 groups in discussions as well as communicated with one another via PMs, etc. The admins there didn't object as far as I know.

I suspect with the new owners things could be different and they may interpret such activities via PM or possibly posting and discussing about another group within the OSW as "competition" or perhaps a violation of their TOS (terms of service).

Our group have no business agenda (i.e. $) or purpose asides from uniting 1:6 collectors/hobbyists in a technical woes free online platform even though the platform itself is not necessarily fully loaded.

I am posting/speaking for myself only and this post does not represent the opinions and views of the OSF management or its members.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
I'm reaching out to a couple dudes I know on Instagram who do a lot of 1/6 stuff. There are some dudes on there who do some really great work who would fit in well here.

Perfect Figure Toys

Perfect Figure Toys
I'm inviting people I like only who I believe will contribute to a nice community.  My biggest hope is we don't get the troublesome folks here who eventually squeak their way in and cause unrest.  It's gonna happen, it always does.  

And I have no issue posting new items that I get info on......whether I'm selling it or not.  Hell, I don't even have to post a link to my sales page.....I can always add that later where it's ok to post such a thing.  But I have a Facebook page that I post items on I'm definitely not selling......it's mostly random toy news like for Marvel Legends, or a random figure/toy that I don't plan on carrying.  

Chung can also post the new releases because we both keep up with the same news and get alot of the same info I believe.

Oddly enough, I posted info on the new Mezco One:12 Popeye figure that is coming out, and I had enough folks ask me about it so I may start carrying them after all.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That Popeye figure is pretty cool. I debated posting something about it as well. I guess I’ve been out of the 6” game too long, because I nearly choked when I saw the price.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I don't actually think VS has any interest in OSW at all, it's theirs now and they can do whatever they like with it. They don't even list OSW on their site!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:

I don't actually think VS has any interest in OSW at all, it's theirs now and they can do whatever they like with it. They don't even list OSW on their site!

CHEERS!

That’s sad. For as much as that Lee guy posts over there, I get the impression that the fixes are out of his control, as well. It’s been... what? a month? If they really wanted that site to continue you wouldn’t think it would take this long to get things sorted out. And I haven’t seen anything being done about the login issues (of all the things that needs to get fixed, that’s the biggest, and it’s something that GubernatorFan has pointed out to Lee several times). OSW must be like the ugly stepchild to the new owners.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I had a look at a couple of the forums they do list and they are way more polished than OSW is or was and they are likely to have their own experienced techs on board and wouldn't need anyone from VS to do anything. I just don't think that VS see it as their responsibility to fix OSW. They may own where the boards are hosted, but the boards themselves look to be self run by the admins and techs that are in situ like OSW used to be.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Sounds like the bell is about to toll.

dadrab

dadrab
I hate hearing that, but it does seem like the new owners give NOT a damn.

The entire site could have been rebuilt in the time they've been dinking around.

Perfect Figure Toys

Perfect Figure Toys
I'll go against what most are saying and just say to "let it burn". OSW has run its course. It's mostly like Mos Eisley Cantina these days.....and you all know what old Ben calls it.

I would also like to see MWD go down. Another place that is no longer a good place. I have seen the founder Mark pop up every now and then at OSW but that place hasn't been the same for the last 5 years or longer.

This place works for me. I like it and plan on staying with it.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
YOU KNOW . . .

I try not to speak ill of other group, but it's human nature to do so at times.

The OSW is home for many, but it experienced its share of issues over the years ranging from technical and non-technical.  The current situation at the OSW is like a new company who acquired the mortgage on the complex.  The complex have issues with maintenance and other matters.  Some are staying to see what happens, some are looking around elsewhere, and maybe a few left already left?

We all are members of a variety of different groups to post/share and be with fellow collectors.  It's part of the social aspects.  I like what the OSF accomplished within a week.  I hope the OSF grows over time, but the OSF is what WE ALL choose to make or not make of it.  The OSF is not the only group I participate in, but I do it consider a new favorite hang out and will do my part in contributing to it.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
To follow on from my other thread about the archive section:

I like that this forum is small and has started with a select group of individuals who were invited here from OSW and some other sites. That can't last forever as we want OSF to grow and attract more attention. But for now it seems we have a core group of people who are supportive of each other and of this site, which will only encourage more participation from those of us who are here. OSW had gotten too sprawling and vast and impersonal, and personally I increasingly saw a lot of tension and rivalries and petty spats brewing up over the silliest things these past few years. There were some over there who just turned me off from wanting to participate at times, and I hope our current climate of good cheer and positivity can continue to be nurtured and fostered as we move forward. (God I sound like such a chick! Rolling Eyes flower )

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:To follow on from my other thread about the archive section:

I like that this forum is small and has started with a select group of individuals who were invited here from OSW and some other sites. That can't last forever as we want OSF to grow and attract more attention. But for now it seems we have a core group of people who are supportive of each other and of this site, which will only encourage more participation from those of us who are here. OSW had gotten too sprawling and vast and impersonal, and personally I increasingly saw a lot of tension and rivalries and petty spats brewing up over the silliest things these past few years. There were some over there who just turned me off from wanting to participate at times, and I hope our current climate of good cheer and positivity can continue to be nurtured and fostered as we move forward. (God I sound like such a chick! Rolling Eyes flower )

--

I can post/say some of those instances likely involved me. I'm not the easiest person to get along with, but no one ever have to guess where I stand on anything or how I feel about anything (or them).

No need to continually criticize them. They're going through their ups and downs in a cycle like any place else and hopefully they'll get back to their happy medium in due time and that's that.

As for this place, we do our own thing just like every other place.

Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

We are now on Google people! 5th result down when you type 'onesixthfigures'. Not bad, that at least means that outsiders can find us without us needing to find them.

Happy days!

CHEERS!

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Rogerbee wrote:
We are now on Google people! 5th result down when you type 'onesixthfigures'. Not bad, that at least means that outsiders can find us without us needing to find them.

Happy days!

CHEERS!

--

I submitted the site to Bing as well.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Cool, it's not up there yet, I just looked. Might want to go to Yahoo as well.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ve been noticing the site on Google, as well. Very good news.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for helping out spreading the word. I knew enough to submit it to Google, but stupidly didn't realize/remember we should have done the same with the others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum