OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi folks,

this is a semi-ramble about whether it is wise to commit to a line of figures with only one of them been released so far, as well as a small review from my first unboxing.
apologies for not having made photos of my own right now, but with everything on display in my room, i didn´t have a good spot for showcasing the figure.

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Medicos-Kenshiro-Figure-008

the figure stands at about 6,6 inch / 17 cm in height and comes with translucent stand that comes in handy when displaying him jump kicking for example.

joints and ankles seem sturdy enough, though you should heat up some with a hair dryer just in case, especially the elbows.

thighs, knees and shoulder joints give a nice resistance out of the box without being stuck, at no point did i have any trouble standing him proper on two feet and keeping a pose, so no fear of him shelf diving any time soon or toppling over.

while his elbows allow him for a good range of motion and a variety of stances from the source material, its the shoulders, especially the "armpits" that look off.
why medicos opted for this kind of joints i don´t understand for a normal ball joint would have worked just as well without making it look like half his upper arm is missing.

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Ken410
Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Ken510

so far i couldn´t see any benefit in terms of range of motion, instead i skip certain poses to not show the missing part.
you could argue having the ability to shift shoulders back and forth a little bit, but then the shoulder muscles would bulge over the clothing.

the figure comes with a good assortment of various hands as well as special effects and a second head.
hands come off easy at the wristpeg even without heating (but without feeling loose) definately a plus when switching for various fight scenes.

and while the head sits on a ball joint its the neck below that gives him his range of motion. the hair seems to get in the way when you just want to turn the head, but the neck itself is ball jointed below, so it still looks natural.

chest and hip is pretty basic movement, good range though given the design of the jacket.

unusual (at least to me) is the loose hip part of the pants. but when i compare it to the neca ratking figure, where his "diaper" flakes off due to being put firmly over the crotch area, i definately prefer this solution right here.
the legs themselves do an almost splits pretty well so if anything the movable crotch is a boon  Very Happy

a bit of a bummer with my figure are slight paint imperfections, something i didn´t see in youtube reviews so far. i´ll add pictures of them later.
overall the paintjob is well done, proper shading and even small details are highlighted properly.

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Ken310

but with a quality figure in an upper price range i simply expect brown leather straps to no be colored flesh tone.

and that´s what my rant right now is all about.

being a huge fan of hokuto no ken since my early youth i was very happy to see the promise of good quality figures, even if they ain´t 1/6. so far my pain threshold for 1/12 figures was about 50€ a figure max, passing on storm collectibles mortal kombat line for i couldn´t see me paying 90€ each in a line with so many "essential" figures.

medicos made me eat my words when i first saw their planned product line with kenshiro and raoh in production and more figures planned down the road.

all in all i paid 100€ each as a pre order with raoh coming around june/july.

what i realise now(to late maybe) is the lack of affordable cannon fodder, a staple of the series.

a "proper" display simply demands for rows and rows of thugs, punks and goons to be swiped away with their heads and guts exploding all over, but where are they ?

even if they´d make some, 100€ figures are impossible for me to army build anyways.

what i´ve tried so far is mixing kenshiro with revoltech figures

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Fist-of-the-north-star-revolution---zeed---kaiyodo-legacy-of-revoltech-p-image-320967-grande

with so-so results.

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Ken110
Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Ken210

quality / cost ratio with revoltech seems pretty good considering they are available here at around 35-45€, much cheaper in japan at the time of their release back in 2009(i guess)

first thing thats obvious is the difference in size though, kenshiro is towering over them standing straight.

one can mask this with displaying the cannon fodder squatting in agony as their body obliterates, to a point, but the difference is still there.

being 30$ figures from the start, i can´t blame the difference in quality and visible articulation gaps in revoltech figures, but the lack of a thigh ball joint in general is what keeps me from collecting them in the first place.

for what ever reason they decided to not use a ball rather than a simple peg you could twist at the thigh and hip in a certain angle to allow moving the legs outward or squatting.

fist of the north star has a very lenient style of portraying a characters size, sometimes towering the main character in one frame by 5 meters only to "shrink" in the next scene.
humans in general aren´t limited to the usual 6-7 feet in this universe but reaching humungous proportions both in size and muscularity.
Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  Zed
for certain characters i´d even had to mix in 1/4 scaled figures if i wanted to match their size as depicted in the anime.

all in all i´m having a blast with both figures, hitting some iconic poses of the anime but i don´t see me calling it quits with just the "hero" and antagonist in a final battle scene.

affection and nostalgia for the source material aside, is it a good figure? absolutely.
is it worth 100€? i would say no, unless you´re a very enthusiastic fan of the series. coming from the era of dragon 1/6 figures for 60€ and even paying 500€ for a 1/6 power armor figure, a purely personal consumers perspective would have wished for a 100€ two pack at least with a main char and some small fry to spruce things up a little.

so where you ever "stuck" with a figure you really like from a line that didn´t or doesn´t seem to provide enough "companions"

kind regards
tjolnir

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm sorry to see you so dissatisfied with what you thought to be a very promising figure. The promotional images do look remarkably good, and the questionable choices and imperfections are understandably annoying. It is somewhat difficult to follow the review with the absence of photos. As for no companions -- or not enough companions -- I think this is a very common complaint when companies make just one or two figures from a movie or series that was teeming with protagonists and antagonists. (QMX, anyone? HT?) With your skills, I'm sure you will be able to find solutions and make great kitbashes to go with this cool figure.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
my bad, i'll add some pictures as soon as i cleaned my figure room a bit tomorrow and made space for a background.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Here's a video review, which helps to illustrate the issue with the arm that you were mentioning:

I'm not super familiar with this character (other than reading he was partially inspired by Bruce Lee and partially by Mad Max? lol), but the figure seems pretty nice in terms of overall look and paintjob. I love the blue of his outfit, especially. But I can see why the arm thing bothered you, as it does seem an odd design feature.

Regarding having only one figure from a certain piece of media, sometimes it does happen.... I have the old Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust figure on his base, and he just hangs out by himself on a bookshelf. Alternatively, you could make this guy a centerpiece surrounded by other anime-ish or stylised characters (like it seems you are doing). It sucks to not be able to do photoshots with other figures, but you could get creative and humourous with it, if need be. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Anthony (the reviewer) has a reputation for being very critical of figures, so an 8/10 from him is very good.  It sounds like the few complaints he does have about the figure are the same as Tjolnir’s.  

I don’t have any of these figures myself although I was tempted by Ken (Tokyo Ghoul), Ruby (RWBY), and Izumi (Parasyte) in the past.  I’m not familiar with the anime, but Kenshiro looks pretty cool.

I usually run into the problem of only getting one or two characters with Figma.  I mean, seriously...Emilia, Rem, and Ram (from Re:Zero) are getting another production run because they sold so well, but they won’t give us Subaru and Beatrice?  We get every variant of Saber and Jeanne D’Arc that ever appeared in GTO, but we can’t get Caster, Illya, and Berserker from Fate Stay Night?  It does get frustrating.

Tjolnir, have you looked into Marvel Legends for some potential thugs?  I know they’re a lot more expensive in Europe than they are in the States, but they’re still considerably cheaper than the Japanese companies.  The Hellfire Club guards are my favorite:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/marvel-legends-series-hellfire-club-guard-figure-hasbro-pulse-exclusive

They just opened up a warehouse in the U.K. which might help to cut down on the cost.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for the advice.
so far i found a proper bland body in the 1/12 scale that fits the size i´m looking for :

Medicos Kenshiro | fist of the north star | small review, big rant  38819650-8c5f-443b-8ca5-963f87ec6c5b

still at a whoopin 69$ so i guess 80-90 € by the time i get my hands on here in germany Sad
on the upside its a bland hulk at 22 cm which can pass for any kind of medium to large henchman.

can´t upload pics of the main figure right now for i`m posting from work, on a saturday.... hurray Neutral

edit: finally at home, i made room in my fallout diorama and displayed the figure to showcase the little nitpick and gripes i had with it so far

all in all i´m not super unhappy with the figure, quality wise its really good in terms of joints and sturdiness.
as flimsy as the ball joints may look, given the figures small size, at no point was i as worried moving them as with say... neca figures(even after 30 minutes hot water bath)

but for 100€ for a 7 inch figure made "purely" of plastic ( i know apples and oranges with 1/12 and 1/6 figures, but still ) it´s the small things that stick with you.
all the more so since i can´t simply buy another/better one in a store next to me.

kind regards

Adeno

Nice pictures! I've been waiting for Kenshiro for a long time, too bad he ended up like that. The joints remind me of Revoltech joints, which I disliked a lot. I wish they just used Figuarts style shoulder joints where at least majority of the arm doesn't lose mass and it's covered pretty well.

I guess I'm glad I didn't pre-order them now that I've seen them Sad

I heard Storm Collectibles is going to make Hokuto No Ken toys as well... I wonder if it'll happen soon. They should do this manga/anime justice for sure!

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks, if anything this figure opened up my budget for 1/12 figures a bit more Wink i skipped mortal kombat storm collectibles for their price range, which i don't regret counting the "essential " figures and the opportunity to build them in 1/6 without compromising the look. worldbox did a good sub zero, kung lao and scorpion, leaving me customizing a shao khan, baraka and kano because "why not" Wink but hokuto no ken has such a distinct look both in the facial style and the outlandish bodily proportions that no 1/6 body so far even comes close.

i saw the preview storm collectibles had of a kenshiro figure 1/12 as well as 1/6 if i remember correctly, but i think this was late 2019 with nothing more to be heard from it ever since.
if they'd release a set of figures in a timely fashion anytime soon i would jump ship, but 1000€ should be max to get at least 8-10 figures of a line, more so in the 1/12 scale.
seeing 120€+ for a different colored mortal kombat "generic ninja" is just to steep for my taste. at one point i was tempted buying 3 "smoke" and simply repainting it blue yellow and green, just for only costing 80€ instead Wink

as for revoltech fist of the north star figure, i came muuuuch to late to the party, them being released in 2009 and skyrocketing in price ever since. somewhere i read them being 30$ retail in japan, i found some at about 70-130€ on amazon when the itch struck me, waaaaay to expensive.
second the joints, whereas kenshiro here has ball jointed legs with full range of motion, the "twist and turn" legs in revoltech figures left me with more than one question mark above my head.
third the size, uyghur/wigul standing at the same height as kenshiro? completely destroying the feeling in my opinion. sure you can't make him 1/6 scale to match the appearance in the anime but still a few more inches wouldn't have hurt.
plus a bit of a fourth gripe, albeit a small one, a dozen boss characters and 1 canon fodder with an additional head with shin..... hokuto hyakuretsu ken my butt Wink

somewhere down the road i envision a street scene with broken sand swept buildings and a dozen or more raiders exploding in sequence to hokuto shin ken and the iconic finger the the forehead of the last punk "omae wa mou...." Smile

here's to hoping some company will deliver a full fletched line

edit: once i'm hooked with a topic i can't sit still and just wait for releases. So i did "something" and gave my 3d printer some stuff to do. If its something good, we'll see in a couple days. Until then....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum