OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 27]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Thanks GF!  Yeah, I have found there a bit more than I'd like to admit.  I wonder if it's this one Pontiacvan was going to mention: 1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-9284_orig

Nice one! No, his were metal, to go with the robots.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ReverendSpooky

Ephiane wrote:Wow ! Love the flame Scene !

Have we talked about Werble before?  Its a such a fun iphone app fore these kind of simple animations.  I keep getting surprised what you can do with it.  

Stryker2011 wrote:There's some really cool stuff here. I only wish I had more room for dioramas. I've always wanted to do a Victorian era room for Holmes & Watson, but the space for such just doesn't exist.

What!?  You can't say that after posting pics of that luxurious and expansive man cave.  A Victorian Holmes & Watson sitting room (Or crime scene!!!) would be so rad, and such a blast to do!  Maybe poor lonely Picard could hang out there until the rest of his crew get produced...

I actually need to figure out a better option for dioramas.  Most of mine are modular, and get put up or broken down for photoshoots.  I have a room that gets great light, so that's become my mini studio, but isn't really a good display space.  I'd love to have a few of these on display more permanantly (especially the loft) but they're so unfinished on the outside (just unpainted insulation foam) that it'd be a project in itself to build some sort of cabinet to house them.  Not to mention 2 cats that would want nothing more than to take up residence in my 1/6 world.  Still, it's an idea I can't let go of.

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice one! No, his were metal, to go with the robots.

Ah, I want to see them too!

http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:What!?  You can't say that after posting pics of that luxurious and expansive man cave.  A Victorian Holmes & Watson sitting room (Or crime scene!!!) would be so rad, and such a blast to do!  Maybe poor lonely Picard could hang out there until the rest of his crew get produced...

But just imagine... if I started building dioramas, that once “luxurious and expansive man cave” would turn into a cluttered, over-crowded mess.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:But just imagine... if I started building dioramas, that once “luxurious and expansive man cave” would turn into a cluttered, over-crowded mess.

Excellent point. You could go halfway: build diorama parts that are easy to assemble (e.g., separate walls, floors), stack, fold, etc. They will take some space, but nowhere nearly as much as dedicated permanent dioramas.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:What!?  You can't say that after posting pics of that luxurious and expansive man cave.  A Victorian Holmes & Watson sitting room (Or crime scene!!!) would be so rad, and such a blast to do!  Maybe poor lonely Picard could hang out there until the rest of his crew get produced...

But just imagine... if I started building dioramas, that once “luxurious and expansive man cave” would turn into a cluttered, over-crowded mess.

Oh yeah, you're 100% right. For some terrible reason, my 1st instinct is always to be the (1/6th?) devil on your shoulder and encourage all the worst impulses. You should definitely buy that. Or build that. Or drink ALL of that...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

Oh yeah, you're 100% right.  For some terrible reason, my 1st instinct is always to be the (1/6th?) devil on your shoulder and encourage all the worst impulses.  You should definitely buy that.  Or build that.  Or drink ALL of that...  

Drink the kool-aid!

I think if we kept at that we’d have to join 6th-scale Anonymous! Laughing

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 C8485110

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

Oh yeah, you're 100% right.  For some terrible reason, my 1st instinct is always to be the (1/6th?) devil on your shoulder and encourage all the worst impulses.  You should definitely buy that.  Or build that.  Or drink ALL of that...  

Drink the kool-aid!

I think if we kept at that we’d have to join 6th-scale Anonymous! Laughing

If we did, they'd tell you to stay the hell away from me. I'm a textbook enabler. Laughing

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Smst0310

It has not escaped my notice that the pigskin is a little too big to be realistic, and the parasols a little too small (it is probable that you can find bigger cocktail parasols/umbrellas, so the point about their usefulness stands).

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Smst0410

Meant to mention, they definitely DO make the coctail umbrellas in larger sizes, and they are perfect for 1/6 scale.  I used mine with a sort of Zatoichi style sword in the handle to make a hidden umbrella sword.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-7355_orig

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-0149_orig

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Meant to mention, they definitely DO make the coctail umbrellas in larger sizes, and they are perfect for 1/6 scale.  I used mine with a sort of Zatoichi style sword in the handle to make a hidden umbrella sword.

Great! I knew I wasn't imagining it. And the ones you found definitely look more realistic in sixth scale than mine. Also, very cool artsy photos. You do excel at these Smile

dadrab

dadrab
Not really sure how I missed this thread here, but damn glad I've found it.

There's some great stuff in here.

Well done, boyz and girlz.

shazzdan

shazzdan
You can make your own metal barrels by gluing three tin cans on top of each other. Tuna tins are a little small for 44 gallon drums but they are perfect for slightly smaller ones. You need larger cans for 1:6 scale 44 gallons drums. Pontiacivan used potted meat tins. I've used pet food tins.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/857181-finally-1-6-oil-drum-under-$10-includes-free-lunch.html

These are less than $3 on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Metal-Iron-Piggy-Bank-Tin-Money-Saving-Pot-Coin-Cash-Storage-Box-Drum-Gift-H-/391872937694

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 VaiKXfp

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

shazzdan

shazzdan
ReverendSpooky wrote:Test Tubes
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-0728_orig1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-0729_orig
I have Shazzdan to thank for these.  I know he mentioned them before, but mine came in the other day and I'm thrilled with them.  I have no idea what they were intended for, but they're all glass with rubber stoppers, and are perfect in 1/6.  I have so many plans for these, starting with a wooden test tube rack.  May even see if I can knock it out tomorrow.

I'm glad that they arrived safely and that you are happy with them. I'm pretty impressed with them. For everyone else, I ordered a pile of these test tubes. They are made from glass, not plastic. If anyone wants some, send me a PM. They work out to be $0.60 each. If you want 20 or more, they are $0.50 ea. Price includes the stoppers. There are two sizes:

1: 25mm long, 5mm outer diameter
2: 28mm long, 7mm outer diameter

More scientific glassware in my Etsy store.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/564171040/miniature-science-laboratory-glassware

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Il_570xN.1373462472_o7071 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Il_570xN.1420731079_74s3

I made a test tube rack from 3 toothpicks and 2 popsicle sticks.
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 DI7q8VW

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for contributing these images and info, shazzdan!

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
ReverendSpooky wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:ReverendSpooky, these are great! And how much you have done with them, customizing and setting up. I do have the skeleton, but I will have to look harder in Hobby Lobby. I believe Pontiacvan has barrel suggestions too.

Thanks GF!  Yeah, I have found there a bit more than I'd like to admit.  I wonder if it's this one Pontiacvan was going to mention:

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img-9284_orig

I'm loving the Acid Rain crates. Going to look into some of those.
Ordered the Bones book from Amazon, can't pass that up.
I like the wooden barrel. I do have some terrestrial based scenes it would work in.
They have several jewelry boxes that make top notch pirate chests, though I do not own one.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
GubernatorFan wrote:I meant to ask -- after you painted them, did they remain translucent? Nice avatar, by the way!

The first batch required far more coats than I would have liked, but ultimately were opaque.
I primed the second batch with grey plastic primer first and used less coats of color.
In either event, scuffing is advised and painting the inside as well as He exterior is recommended.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:The first batch required far more coats than I would have liked, but ultimately were opaque.
I primed the second batch with grey plastic primer first and used less coats of color.
In either event, scuffing is advised and painting the inside as well as  He exterior is recommended.

Thanks for the response! And happy to see you back on here again. I was getting worried by your absence. Smile

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
GubernatorFan wrote:ReverendSpooky, these are great! And how much you have done with them, customizing and setting up. I do have the skeleton, but I will have to look harder in Hobby Lobby. I believe Pontiacvan has barrel suggestions too.

Not sure if my barrels count, since they are made, rather than bought.
I used the large chunk chicken cans from Walmart ($1.90 for 2) and assembled three with hot glue. $5.70 got me 2 barrels as well as lunch for a few days. Very Happy
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_4610
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_4611
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5728

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for posting, Pontiacvan. Those are the ones I was thinking of, and they definitely count.

dadrab

dadrab
Frickken genius.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
GubernatorFan wrote:
Pontiacivan wrote:The first batch required far more coats than I would have liked, but ultimately were opaque.
In either event, scuffing is advised and painting the inside as well as  He exterior is recommended.

Thanks for the response! And happy to see you back on here again. I was getting worried by your absence. Smile

Sorry about that, had some incredibly difficult breathing issues which I thought were going to be serious . ( i.e.: possibly terminal, I literally struggled to breathe) I have asthma and my mom was an over the top chain smoker who died of lung cancer relatively young.
C.O.P.D and cancer were ruled out quickly. Blood work showed I was having an allergic reaction to something so I put on my respirator and hosed my dirt floor basement with vinegar and began a ketogenic diet. I've done the diet before and it only needs to be done temporarily while I wait for better weather. Fat and protein don't trigger many allergic responses.
The main problem is a 200 year old wood frame house, insufficient airflow in the basement during the winter and the dirt floor, made worse by the longer winter.
We run industrial dehumidifiers down there and this year we are finally going to get a floor poured.
I am now breathing normally and expect to be back to ( relatively) normal in the next few months.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:Sorry about that,  had some incredibly difficult breathing issues which I thought were going to be serious.
I am now breathing normally and  expect to be back to ( relatively) normal in the next few months.

I am very happy you are feeling better, and hope your health will be holding up! And I didn't mean to imply that you owed us an explanation. 1:1 life (and health) must always take a priority! Smile

dadrab

dadrab
Glad you're feeling better, brah.

I was asthmatic as a kid, but eventually outgrew it and I'm damned happy about that. Still, having been there, I know it's no damn fun.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
GubernatorFan wrote:I meant to ask -- after you painted them, did they remain translucent? Nice avatar, by the way!

Re: my avatar. I managed to get a ThreeA Ten Finger gang head, number 10, for a great price. He's on a BBI body with a Gameitoy Engineer jumpsuit and Dragon Lady U2 hands. Swords are also ThreeA.
His name is Bot Derek....because he's a 10. Very Happy

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5910

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:

Re: my avatar. I managed to get a ThreeA Ten Finger gang head, number 10, for a great price. He's on a BBI body with a Gameitoy Engineer jumpsuit and Dragon Lady U2 hands. Swords are also ThreeA.
His name is Bot Derek....because he's a 10. Very Happy

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5910

Haha! Nice one.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL... Bot Derek. Cool build and story.

MarkEl

The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution. I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced. Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution.  I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced.  Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!  

I am not surprised. Plenty of 1:1 items are cheaper than the 1:6 equivalent. DFC, don't go there! Wink

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
MarkEl wrote:The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution.  I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced.  Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!  

GubernatorFan wrote:

I am not surprised. Plenty of 1:1 items are cheaper than the 1:6 equivalent. DFC, don't go there! Wink

I'm with you both! I searched for an affordable barrel solution for a very long time.
No matter how you paint and weather a soup can, it still looks like a soup can. They are also small for 1/6 scale.
For anyone not familiar with canned chicken ( and some brands of tuna ) the cans are significantly larger and when stacked, the effect was just what I had hoped for.
For the money I could make a large enough batch for cargo. I also happen to like canned chicken and tuna, so it's win-win.
If anyone cares, the openings on top can be simulated by hot gluing the appropriate size nut to one of the can covers and screwing in a set screw.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
For any one who has seen my biohazard diorama, it's worth mentioning that the 5 gallon pail was hand made. It was fairly easy, so I wanted to share.

The dollar store sells "noise putty " in a container that seems ideal for scale...
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5911

After transferring  the goo to another container for future use, I carefully cut a circle into the lid
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5912

Then I slid that up from the bottom to the approximate place and hot glued it. Real buckets have more "ridges" but he's think this passes

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_5729

Then I painted it and added a handle made from a piece of coat hanger. I used a piece of dowel here for the grip, but I have found beads that work well too.
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_0444
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_0445
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 2 Img_0443

The "water level" was made by stuffing some poly fill in the bottom and securing the cut plastic from the lid with clear silicone at the desired height.
I hope this helps someone to add some detail to one of their projects!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 27]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum