OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 27]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:Sorry about that,  had some incredibly difficult breathing issues which I thought were going to be serious.
I am now breathing normally and  expect to be back to ( relatively) normal in the next few months.

I am very happy you are feeling better, and hope your health will be holding up! And I didn't mean to imply that you owed us an explanation. 1:1 life (and health) must always take a priority! Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

dadrab

Glad you're feeling better, brah.

I was asthmatic as a kid, but eventually outgrew it and I'm damned happy about that. Still, having been there, I know it's no damn fun.

Pontiacivan

GubernatorFan wrote:I meant to ask -- after you painted them, did they remain translucent? Nice avatar, by the way!

Re: my avatar. I managed to get a ThreeA Ten Finger gang head, number 10, for a great price. He's on a BBI body with a Gameitoy Engineer jumpsuit and Dragon Lady U2 hands. Swords are also ThreeA.
His name is Bot Derek....because he's a 10. Very Happy

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5910

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:I meant to ask -- after you painted them, did they remain translucent? Nice avatar, by the way!

Re: my avatar. I managed to get a ThreeA Ten Finger gang head, number 10, for a great price. He's on a BBI body with a Gameitoy Engineer jumpsuit and Dragon Lady U2 hands. Swords are also ThreeA.
His name is Bot Derek....because he's a 10. Very Happy

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5910

Haha! Nice one.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL... Bot Derek. Cool build and story.

MarkEl

The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution. I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced. Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution.  I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced.  Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!  

I am not surprised. Plenty of 1:1 items are cheaper than the 1:6 equivalent. DFC, don't go there! Wink

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
MarkEl wrote:The oil drum ideas here are really a great solution.  I’ve been looking st some on eBay and thinking they are far too overpriced.  Sure, there is some painting and decal work, but still too much for that . Out of curiosity, I looked on Amazon at real 1:1 oil drums and many are cheaper than some of the 1/6th ones on eBay!  

GubernatorFan wrote:

I am not surprised. Plenty of 1:1 items are cheaper than the 1:6 equivalent. DFC, don't go there! Wink

I'm with you both! I searched for an affordable barrel solution for a very long time.
No matter how you paint and weather a soup can, it still looks like a soup can. They are also small for 1/6 scale.
For anyone not familiar with canned chicken ( and some brands of tuna ) the cans are significantly larger and when stacked, the effect was just what I had hoped for.
For the money I could make a large enough batch for cargo. I also happen to like canned chicken and tuna, so it's win-win.
If anyone cares, the openings on top can be simulated by hot gluing the appropriate size nut to one of the can covers and screwing in a set screw.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
For any one who has seen my biohazard diorama, it's worth mentioning that the 5 gallon pail was hand made. It was fairly easy, so I wanted to share.

The dollar store sells "noise putty " in a container that seems ideal for scale...
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5911

After transferring  the goo to another container for future use, I carefully cut a circle into the lid
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5912

Then I slid that up from the bottom to the approximate place and hot glued it. Real buckets have more "ridges" but he's think this passes

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5729

Then I painted it and added a handle made from a piece of coat hanger. I used a piece of dowel here for the grip, but I have found beads that work well too.
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_0444
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_0445
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_0443

The "water level" was made by stuffing some poly fill in the bottom and securing the cut plastic from the lid with clear silicone at the desired height.
I hope this helps someone to add some detail to one of their projects!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s pretty inventive, Pontiacivan. How do you guys think of this stuff.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 C8485110

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Stryker2011 wrote:That’s pretty inventive, Pontiacivan. How do you guys think of this stuff.

If it's of any help, when I look at something in 1:1 scale, I ask myself what it would look like if it was really small.
If I look at some kind of object, say at the dollar store, I ask myself what I would be if it was really big.
Sometimes you have to add or strip the details mentally, but once you start doing it, you will find your self looking through the 1/6 lens a lot.

For instance, I bought a bunch of these flex lights to illuminate consoles and workstations in my space dioramas....
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5913

But after looking at them a while, a started to see the possibility of making an automotive parts washer by using a tin painted red. Here is a quick mock up to give the idea...
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Img_5914

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn Pontiacivan, that's scary as hall.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Your chicken barrels are fantastic.  I might have to grab a few cans and give it a try.

And I have one of those mini flexi lights too! I knew it had 1/6 scale sci-fi uses as soon as I saw it, although I've yet to actually work it into anything.

http://reverendspooky.com

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn Pontiacivan, that's scary as hall.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Your chicken barrels are fantastic.  I might have to grab a few cans and give it a try.

And I have one of those mini flexi lights too! I knew it had 1/6 scale sci-fi uses as soon as I saw it, although I've yet to actually work it into anything.

Gooseneck microphone on a podium? Very Happy

dadrab

dadrab
FLARP noise putty...

That's awesome. Very clever use of the container, as well, but really???

FLARP???

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed I'm glad you're feeling better too and great looking oil drums.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Pontiacivan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn Pontiacivan, that's scary as hall.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Gooseneck microphone on a podium? Very Happy

A microphone that would also do that great flashlight-under-the-chin-telling-ghost-stories-around-the-campfire effect?! I think you may have stumbled on a 1:1 scale million $ idea!

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the photos and insights, Pontiacvan!

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
I am finding it increasingly difficult to get to Hobby Lobby because they’re two hours away and across the US Border.  Worse, they are closed on Sunday, which would be my best chance for a daytrip to the US.  Finally I got there again, being prompted btw, by a post in “the old place” where Badwolf-787 showed off a bunch of Hobby Lobby bottles including one kind I didn’t have (with the cool brass labels). (Thanks).

So anyway, I got those, but also found an unexpected treasure in the “Explorer” collection:  48 very varied 1/6 coins (base price $9.99, plus 50% off).  They are shown here side by side with some of my other 1/6 currency.  The other coins are from earrings or paperweights. The paper money is from HT Joker and from DAM GK.  Somewhere I also have some 1/6 Roman coins (from earrings) but can’t find them.  

The actual 48 coins currently available at Hobby Lobby for $5 (use a coupon) are the ones on the white stand.  You can get the Chinese coins at Hobby Lobby also, but you have  to buy a $2.49 bag with 18 coins in three sizes S/M/L and only the 6 small ones are usable 1/6.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40795399144_de73d34ca0_b

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40795399274_200c9c28ca_b

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 26638375187_2ddd05c9a9_b

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
These are super cute. That border/rim is a tad too pronounced but still. Very cool find. I will try to keep it in mind next time I'm there. I will try to not point out that they are a bit large for real 1/6 scale... rats, I did it again! But it won't keep me from getting some if they are available. Also looks like you did manage to find the bottle type you were looking for.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:These are super cute. That border/rim is a tad too pronounced but still. Very cool find. I will try to keep it in mind next time I'm there. I will try to not point out that they are a bit large for real 1/6 scale... rats, I did it again! But it won't keep me from getting some if they are available. Also looks like you did manage to find the bottle type you were looking for.

Well, the Hobby Lobby set contains 4 different coins -- small silver, small bronze, large silver and large bronze.  The small ones are fine.  The small bronze coin may be only minimally oversized for a Penny, and if need be you can assume the small silver "dime" is a 1/6 quarter or 50 cent piece.  So that's 24 coins you can use unreservedly.  The other 24 coins may have to be Commemorative Medallions or something.  I probably exaggerated the rim trying to light them so the detail would show.  I imagine I would use all of the coins for treasure chest or something, but in the figure's hand I would use only the small ones.  Still smaller than the 1/6 coin they gave Two-Face, I believe.

BTW the coins in the paperweight actually are perfect 1/6 US coins, better scaled, and way more accurate, and in all six denominations.  They can be found online as actual loose coins, though the set I came across has them sealed in plastic paperweight.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the clarification! As I said, I'd be looking for some of these at Hobby Lobby (and I won't complain I have to drive 25 minutes to get there, now that the one in my town closed, seeing that you have hours to drive and an international border to cross) and online. Smile

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Here's a better look at the previously existing 1/6 coins - admittedly, better scaled (still not perfect) and more detail-accurate than the ones I just got at Hobby Lobby.  

I only have these inside the keychain, but they can be found loose online, I just never got around to it.  The Hobby Lobby ones are far cheaper and convenient, though strictly speaking only the smaller coins in the set are actual 1/6 scale for currency US coins.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40795398954_7fc0e65b9e_b1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 26638375327_0af2bdcab7_b

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Here's a better look at the previously existing 1/6 coins - admittedly, better scaled (still not perfect) and more detail-accurate than the ones I just got at Hobby Lobby.  

I only have these inside the keychain, but they can be found loose online, I just never got around to it.  The Hobby Lobby ones are far cheaper and convenient, though strictly speaking only the smaller coins in the set are actual 1/6 scale for currency US coins.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Attachment
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Attachment

Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 C8485110

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

Gubernator Fan helpfully tells me that links to the OSW gallery can only be seen over here if you have an account over there and are logged in, same apparently applies to Google Photos. I'll switch my pic usage out of OSW Gallery but it may take a day or two, I've only just found out about OSF. In the meantime, bro, thanks for the heads up, and much thanks for wanting to see my pics while you can't.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

Gubernator Fan helpfully tells me that links to the OSW gallery can only be seen over here if you have an account over there and are logged in, same apparently applies to Google Photos.  I'll switch my pic usage out of OSW Gallery but it may take a day or two, I've only just found out about OSF.  In the meantime, bro, thanks for the heads up, and much thanks for wanting to see my pics while you can't.

Nope. I just logged in to OSW and can't see any of your pics. I then opened up the thread in question and still can't see any pics here.

FWIW I have the latest issue of US currency here.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/495565045/16-scale-miniature-play-money-us-100

Davinator did a little review
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/854993-shazzdan-mre-water-purifier-etc-etsy-shop-called-onesixtharsenal.html

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Il_570xN.1297180510_12ah

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Il_570xN.1166139569_9b21

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I do hope that MBAM will eventually get around to displaying these photos here independent of OSW, so that you can view them. However, shazzdan's comment makes me wonder if something extra is in play. We had a bit of a similar situation with another user who couldn't post messages due to interference by his virus protection software.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:I do hope that MBAM will eventually get around to displaying these photos here independent of OSW, so that you can view them. However, shazzdan's comment makes me wonder if something extra is in play. We had a bit of a similar situation with another user who couldn't post messages due to interference by his virus protection software.

Links above updated to Flickr, hopefully that works going forward. Thanks for the help.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Links above updated to Flickr, hopefully that works going forward.  Thanks for the help.

Thank you! They work for me (but then again, they did before, too). Hope this fixes the problem some viewers had.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hey. I can see the pics. Cool stuff, MoonbaseAlphaMale. Some pretty neat stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum