OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 27]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Thanks for the clarification! As I said, I'd be looking for some of these at Hobby Lobby (and I won't complain I have to drive 25 minutes to get there, now that the one in my town closed, seeing that you have hours to drive and an international border to cross) and online. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

Here's a better look at the previously existing 1/6 coins - admittedly, better scaled (still not perfect) and more detail-accurate than the ones I just got at Hobby Lobby.  

I only have these inside the keychain, but they can be found loose online, I just never got around to it.  The Hobby Lobby ones are far cheaper and convenient, though strictly speaking only the smaller coins in the set are actual 1/6 scale for currency US coins.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40795398954_7fc0e65b9e_b1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 26638375327_0af2bdcab7_b

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Here's a better look at the previously existing 1/6 coins - admittedly, better scaled (still not perfect) and more detail-accurate than the ones I just got at Hobby Lobby.  

I only have these inside the keychain, but they can be found loose online, I just never got around to it.  The Hobby Lobby ones are far cheaper and convenient, though strictly speaking only the smaller coins in the set are actual 1/6 scale for currency US coins.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Attachment
1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Attachment

Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Stryker2011 wrote:Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

Gubernator Fan helpfully tells me that links to the OSW gallery can only be seen over here if you have an account over there and are logged in, same apparently applies to Google Photos. I'll switch my pic usage out of OSW Gallery but it may take a day or two, I've only just found out about OSF. In the meantime, bro, thanks for the heads up, and much thanks for wanting to see my pics while you can't.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Okay. Do I need to be logged in to OSW to see what MBAM is posting? All I can see is the new text he’s posting.

Gubernator Fan helpfully tells me that links to the OSW gallery can only be seen over here if you have an account over there and are logged in, same apparently applies to Google Photos.  I'll switch my pic usage out of OSW Gallery but it may take a day or two, I've only just found out about OSF.  In the meantime, bro, thanks for the heads up, and much thanks for wanting to see my pics while you can't.

Nope. I just logged in to OSW and can't see any of your pics. I then opened up the thread in question and still can't see any pics here.

FWIW I have the latest issue of US currency here.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/495565045/16-scale-miniature-play-money-us-100

Davinator did a little review
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/854993-shazzdan-mre-water-purifier-etc-etsy-shop-called-onesixtharsenal.html

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Il_570xN.1297180510_12ah

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Il_570xN.1166139569_9b21

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I do hope that MBAM will eventually get around to displaying these photos here independent of OSW, so that you can view them. However, shazzdan's comment makes me wonder if something extra is in play. We had a bit of a similar situation with another user who couldn't post messages due to interference by his virus protection software.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:I do hope that MBAM will eventually get around to displaying these photos here independent of OSW, so that you can view them. However, shazzdan's comment makes me wonder if something extra is in play. We had a bit of a similar situation with another user who couldn't post messages due to interference by his virus protection software.

Links above updated to Flickr, hopefully that works going forward. Thanks for the help.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Links above updated to Flickr, hopefully that works going forward.  Thanks for the help.

Thank you! They work for me (but then again, they did before, too). Hope this fixes the problem some viewers had.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hey. I can see the pics. Cool stuff, MoonbaseAlphaMale. Some pretty neat stuff.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 C8485110

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:Hey. I can see the pics. Cool stuff, MoonbaseAlphaMale. Some pretty neat stuff.

Thanks much. Teaser: if you haven't seen them before, you may really like some stuff I'm going to show probably tomorrow morning.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Your welcome MBAM, I really like little bottles with the brass labels too. Indeed you have some very cool stuff there and I see
you have the little green ink well.

Fox915

Fox915
Wow! There's so many cool and interesting items.

Here's mine, I got this little fella from a Gashapon machine (capsule toy), similar to those gum-ball dispensers. They're very abundant in Japan (and a few in Asia), they come in various categories (keychains, pins, fridge magnets, miniature toys). This little bunny came with a little cup he can sit in.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 38925162280_06bc961258_h
(This is an old (temporary) outfit. Cara's undergoing some changes at the moment, I'll post the completed new look (in another thread) once I have everything ready.)

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 TmOo6sx
(Source: GachaShop)

Here's another that might work, a fingerboard. Though I don't have it in hand yet, I suspect it might be a little under-sized. I looked at the 1:1 skateboard dimensions and tried converting the size to scale, seems to run a little too small. But I've ordered one to see, will post any updates once I have it in hand.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 OrpeCNR
(Souce: from WikiHow)

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Fox915 wrote:Here's another that might work, a fingerboard. Though I don't have it in hand yet, I suspect it might be a little under-sized. I looked at the 1:1 skateboard dimensions and tried converting the size to scale, seems to run a little too small. But I've ordered one to see, will post any updates once I have it in hand.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 OrpeCNR
(Souce: from WikiHow)

Cara looks great, the bunny is cute.  There are three sizes of mini skateboards.  The smallest (in your pic) is slightly undersized but it could be a 1/6 smaller or child-sized board.  The medium one (slightly longer, pointier shape in the pic below) is about right.  They make one 10" tall that would be surfboard sized, could be used as the carriage for some kind of vehicle.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 41471700952_ecc9619e75_b

Fox915

Fox915
Thank you MBAM, I really appreciate your pictures for comparison.

This was the actual one I ordered. Fingers crossed it's different to the one in the example (from WikiHow). On a side note, after looking at the size provided by the seller, I drew and cut out a paper mock up to get a feel for the size, it seems passable, or might just be 10-20% smaller than scale. Well, I hope it'll work, the new look I have for Cara is something of a skater girl, this skateboard would really be a cool accessory for her.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 NVjWdXI

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you Fox and MBAM for posting these items. Cara and the bunny are super cute, together or separately. And I think you will find use for that skateboard. If it really is that undersized, plop a mini teddy bear on it (there are several versions of Ted).

shazzdan

shazzdan
I have a couple of those fingerboards and they are too small for 1:6. Even the medium one with the pointy nose is a little too small. It is frustrating trying to find stuff that is just the right size.

Fox915

Fox915
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you Fox and MBAM for posting these items. Cara and the bunny are super cute, together or separately. And I think you will find use for that skateboard. If it really is that undersized, plop a mini teddy bear on it (there are several versions of Ted).

Thank you GF, I love that idea.

shazzdan wrote:I have a couple of those fingerboards and they are too small for 1:6. Even the medium one with the pointy nose is a little too small. It is frustrating trying to find stuff that is just the right size.

Oh I see  Crying or Very sad , thank you for confirming Shazzdan.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
shazzdan wrote:I have a couple of those fingerboards and they are too small for 1:6. Even the medium one with the pointy nose is a little too small. It is frustrating trying to find stuff that is just the right size.

Well, actually, No. When people get into "scale police" mode, sometimes it goes too far the other way. Not giving you a hard time shazzdan, I've done the same thing myself. But the pointy fingerboard is exactly 5" so that it represents 30" in 1/6. The average length of an adult board is 28" to 32" https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/blog/2017/11/22/size-skateboard-need/ -- therefore the pointy board is dead-on perfect centre.

The more commonly available smaller fingerboards are 3.75", so yes, that is small -- but a case can still be made for it: (1) street skaters typically choose a smaller deck than those riding ramps, (2) Cara Delevingne is 5'8" so probably on the shorter side for adult deck purposes, and (3) the character could still be riding for eccentric reasons on the same board they had since adolescence.

Now you've got me wondering exactly what size Hot Toys made the Skateboard for the first Marty McFly. That answer lies somewhere in my basement, but gosh knows where.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Hey Fox, I'm digging Cara's new skater look, and that little rabbit is adorable. I'm totally on the look out for a kitten like that too. Need to keep an eye out for gashapon sets too. Good thinking!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
So I went to Hobby Lobby today, inspired by Moonbase Alpha Male, and picked up a bunch of stuff that could be used for sixth-scale work. Here's the relevant part of the loot.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0110

This includes a somewhat squishy sea turtle, some Vallejo paint (oops, different category), and a bunch of Explorer jewelry items that happened to be 50% off. These were a pair of passports (with real pages), a scarab brooch (that can be turned into a fairly realistic ancient Egyptian pectoral), a weird bracelet-like thing (that might be turnable into some sort of lamellar armor), a little leather backpack, and that pack of 48 tiny coins that MBAM showcased.

I liked the coins, and MBAM was right, the smaller of the two sizes is close enough (just a tad too big) to what US quarters and dollar coins and Euro coins might be in sixth scale.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0210

The passports are nearly perfect, considering the scale. Yes, they flare a little bit and the inside pages are repetitive, but that doesn't detract much from the effect. * Remember the good old days, when you had to carry a ton of quarters in case you had to call from a pay phone at the airport?

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0310

The little backpack is diminutive but not excessively small. The real problem is that the straps are not long enough for it to hang realistically, but one can make do or maybe modify it.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0410

The sea turtle actually works great! Apparently giant sea turtles can be even bigger, so my initial hesitation was in vain. And here's Chris treating it with all the excitable respect and consideration you can expect from a buzzed fratboy on spring break. * Disclaimer: no animals were hurt in the making of this photo.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0510

Hope you found it useful or mildly amusing.

Fox915

Fox915
ReverendSpooky wrote:Hey Fox, I'm digging Cara's new skater look, and that little rabbit is adorable.  I'm totally on the look out for a kitten like that too.  Need to keep an eye out for gashapon sets too.  Good thinking!

Thank you ReverendSpooky, that was the old look for Cara, I'm still putting together the new (skater look) one.

Also, I was at Toys R Us (in Asia) the other day, there were quite a few Gashapon machines, and definitely saw some miniature kittens. I'm not sure if it's the same in the US (or elsewhere) or not. Anyways, I hope you find them, cheers  Smile

GubernatorFan wrote:So I went to Hobby Lobby today, inspired by Moonbase Alpha Male, and picked up a bunch of stuff that could be used for sixth-scale work. Here's the relevant part of the loot.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 Hlf0110

This includes a somewhat squishy sea turtle, some Vallejo paint (oops, different category), and a bunch of Explorer jewelry items that happened to be 50% off. These were a pair of passports (with real pages), a scarab brooch (that can be turned into a fairly realistic ancient Egyptian pectoral), a weird bracelet-like thing (that might be turnable into some sort of lamellar armor), a little leather backpack, and that pack of 48 tiny coins that MBAM showcased.

Wow GF, that's an amazing haul! The backpack looks really nice, and  loving those passports.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice haul, GubernatorFan. Yeah... leave it to a drunk frat boy...

Those passports look great.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 C8485110

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Great haul! Hobby Lobby is a trip because you really have to hit all the departments to look for goodies. There are grommets I used for my tarps that you can find in the sewing section. They come with a tool to install them. I know anyone making a tent or certain types of military gear could use these, but might not browse that section.
You really have to hit the whole store, it can be an all day mission n sometimes!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Fox, Stryker, and Pontiacvan!
Agreed. The passports were perhaps the best, as they don't need any modification (other than detaching the little metal ring) and are good to go, perfectly sized and almost perfectly looking. The coins (the smaller size that comes in the pack), too. The backpack is decent, but if you go looking super close it is a pretty simple affair and the non-adjustable straps stand in the way of wearing it quite right, so you might have to do a bit in the way of modifications. And of course the sea turtle is ready for fun in the sun, to the delight of drunk fratboys everywhere Smile

I agree there are plenty of areas in Hobby Lobby (and for that matter Michaels) where you can find useful stuff... I did wander about, as I wasn't sure whether MBAM meant a different section by "Explorer" or the area where "Explorer" jewelry was displayed (it was the latter). But this time I was more or less on a mission -- to get those coins. As it happened, all "Explorer" jewelry was 50% off, so I got quite a few. And then I swung round to the models and model-making isles, like I always do. The section where they have various artsy pieces for your home features some scale vehicles made of metal and wood, including what look like sixth-scale motorcycles. Now they are not super detailed, and would require some modification to look right, but they are a possibility. And remember, if you don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby, you might be able to make up for it by going to their online store. Of course, it is nicer to see things in real life when convenient.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you, Fox, Stryker, and Pontiacvan!
Agreed. The passports were perhaps the best, as they don't need any modification (other than detaching the little metal ring) and are good to go, perfectly sized and almost perfectly looking. The coins (the smaller size that comes in the pack), too. The backpack is decent, but if you go looking super close it is a pretty simple affair and the non-adjustable straps stand in the way of wearing it quite right, so you might have to do a bit in the way of modifications. And of course the sea turtle is ready for fun in the sun, to the delight of drunk fratboys everywhere Smile

I agree there are plenty of areas in Hobby Lobby (and for that matter Michaels) where you can find useful stuff... I did wander about, as I wasn't sure whether MBAM meant a different section by "Explorer" or the area where "Explorer" jewelry was displayed (it was the latter). But this time I was more or less on a mission -- to get those coins. As it happened, all "Explorer" jewelry was 50% off, so I got quite a few. And then I swung round to the models and model-making isles, like I always do. The section where they have various artsy pieces for your home features some scale vehicles made of metal and wood, including what look like sixth-scale motorcycles. Now they are not super detailed, and would require some modification to look right, but they are a possibility. And remember, if you don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby, you might be able to make up for it by going to their online store. Of course, it is nicer to see things in real life when convenient.

Yeah, great post from a great Hobby Lobby Haul. Nice pics too, and esp that picture of the coins. You really captured the detail on them, which is more than I was able to do. In the jewelry pendants section I think the 1/6 treasures are in "Explorer" and "Fairy Tale," maybe also "Traditions" (sea themed). What I was looking for originally were 1/6 bottles, and books, and there are several of those. But then there is really cool eccentric stuff like those passports. "Explorer" also has a great Medal - somewhat oversized for 1/6 though so only suitable for comic purpose. Nice backpack, that one is new to me. And BTW coincidentally I got that same Egyptian Scarab at the same time I got the coins -- TBL Cleo has it now.

Other HL sections are hit and miss -- those metal motorcycles you mention are far from realistic but the scale is right. I did a post way back when, in the "other place," shooting pics of two of them that I had borrowed. I suggested they might be good with something stylized like Gangster Kingdom figures, and those pics looked good to me. It think it would be "too far to go" to make them fully realistic.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
BTW Gubernator Fan, since you've done some great Beach shots, you might like this Hobby Lobby Lifeguard chair.  There's a set of beach themed decor but I think they only display them Seasonally -- I got mine July 2016 and I think (don't quote me) that they did bring them back last year so they may be showing up again soon.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 39752288890_71af42b8b4_c

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Moonbase Alpha Male! I agree, there is so much one can find, and there are different jewelry and bead lines that lend themselves to finding useful items for our hobby. There's another one with the word "poet" in its name that is also useful sometimes. Most of the little books are in the "Fairytale" line.

I was thinking of "Cleo" when I got the scarab -- bought parts of that set -- or better yet some custom that looks more Egyptian. A good high-end/detail Egyptian custom would be really hard to make, actually, but maybe one day.

The sixth-scale motorcycles -- at least the ones I saw -- need actual headlights to be added, at the very least. The Barbie Harley is actually a far superior alternative, if one can find it for a decent price (been awhile since I got mine). And of course there are various other model or radio control versions.

Thank you for the heads up and photo of the lifeguard chair. It is not exactly what I would imagine, but I like it, and will pick one up if and when I see it. Might even look if it is available online.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:.
BTW Gubernator Fan, since you've done some great Beach shots, you might like this Hobby Lobby Lifeguard chair.  There's a set of beach themed decor but I think they only display them Seasonally -- I got mine July 2016 and I think (don't quote me) that they did bring them back last year so they may be showing up again soon.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 39752288890_71af42b8b4_c

Oh man! I have to get one of these. I've been wanting to do a beach diorama for ages.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you, Moonbase Alpha Male! I agree, there is so much one can find, and there are different jewelry and bead lines that lend themselves to finding useful items for our hobby. There's another one with the word "poet" in its name that is also useful sometimes. Most of the little books are in the "Fairytale" line.

Yeah, "Poetic Spirit (by Bead Treasures)" is the other line you're thinking of.  (I didn't know that off the top of my head, but I take a quick pic of everything incoming so I searched my log for HL).

Trips to Hobby Lobby stand out because I only get there 2 or 3 times a year so I note the changes.  One area that has diminished quite a bit is the Resin Decor.  They used to have a whole line of Egyptian that was 1/6 usable.  Also some great Resin Cowboy/Western stuff with some 1/6 usable pieces, like barrels, coasters shaped like wagon wheels, western crosses and a saddle paperweight.

1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40849886244_a9ddff88cd_c1 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 3 40849883804_c0185cec18_c[/url][

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum