OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Camera advice

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Camera advice Empty Camera advice Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am

MX-V

MX-V
Hi,
maybe someone could help me. I need a better camera.
Included is an example of what my present camera does (and doesn't do).
I don't need a pro setup, just something simple yet captures better detail.
I have a small amount of knowledge of lighting and I know the lense is the key.
But, hopefully, there's someone that knows of something around $300 that could
help me with this.
As I said, simple, yet gets detail, I'm not trying to be pro, just better than this.

Is it possible???
Example:Camera advice Ph_6_b11

2Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:38 am

blackpool

blackpool
out of curiosity, what camera do you currently use? On your example I would say it was shot in a quite dark room, ISO seem to be set very high, which can cause that kind of noise and make you loose definition.

300$ might be a bit short if you plan on taking a camera and a lense, nikon and canon have very good products starting around 350$, and you'll be able to buy additional lenses depending on what you want to achieve. I have very little knowledge about bridge cameras sadly, but that could be another option.

3Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:49 pm

MX-V

MX-V
Blackpool,
Thanks, it's an IR 26 Megapixel. Highly reccomended from Amazon.
Picture examples were great, but I can't get great shots.
In my process, I take about 40 to 50 shots with varying types and brightness of lighting, close and pulling back, outside, inside dark and light, there is a noise that's irritating me.
Now that I'm taking shots closer up and trying to get more detail, I've noticied the static and distortion.

If I say my budget is 500, almost everyone says 600 on up. I figured 300 would be a good start, then lenses of 500 and up could be obtained later.

Panasonic Lumix FZ80 (used) looks promising.

4Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:13 pm

davidd

davidd
When I type "IR 26" in to Amazon I see this:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Prime-IR0001-Infrared-Resolution-Temperature/dp/B075F61GFH/

Which I doubt is what you have, and I personally have no reasonable need for one, but it's cool and suddenly I want a thermal imaging camera! For the cool factor!

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the States, Adorama Camera has the Panasonic Lumix FZ80 "new" for just under $300 with a temporary rebate:

https://www.adorama.com/ipcdcfz80a.html

I use a Panasonic DMC-TS5 point-n-shoot camera for almost all my doll and figure photos and I love it! It is durable, easy to use, easy to make basic adjustments that are helpful in toy photography, and it handles a variety of lighting situations well. Because of the combination of ease of use and decent image quality under a variety of circumstances, I rarely use my "better" DSLR camera anymore.

The FZ80 looks promising, indeed! It is what would be called a "bridge camera," falling between point-n-shoot simplicity and more advanced DSLR cameras. I have an older FujiFilm bridge camera that also works well for action figure photography.

I think you'd be quite happy with the FZ80, and find that it works well for action figure photography as well as general purpose pictures.

And... you're right. Whatever price point you put out there, nearly all the "suggestions" you receive will be along the lines of "for just a little bit more you could get...."

5Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Chip

Is there more to your cameras name ? Is it a Sony or something ? 26 megapixels sounds like it should be quite good , however cramming lots of megapixels into a small sensor does not always work so well . Realistically for quality you need to look at cameras with large sensors . An SLR will offer best quality generally . But I use a Panasonic FZ-150 , it`s quite an old bridge camera now , but you can look at my other posts to see what it does if you wish . I use two permanent lights for indoor stuff and sometimes a reflector . But out door shots do produce quality photos , bright overcast days are best , bright sunshine is not so great for figure photography . Try and use low iso settings .

6Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 am

MX-V

MX-V
Thank you guys on the camera advice, I fell for the 26 MP, not thinking of the sensor nor the cheap fixed lens.
It's not worth going back to look up.
I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix, Adorama and B&H has a good deal under 300.
As I don't plan on becoming pro, I just hope for better quality than the IR thing.

7Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm

davidd

davidd
MX-V wrote:
I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix, Adorama and B&H has a good deal under 300.

I have purchased from both Adorama and B&H in the past. I use B&H more often, as I find their service is excellent, their prices are comparable to most other places, and they offer good information on their site, including customer reviews, so I like to support them.

8Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 pm

MX-V

MX-V
I have used both of those vendors, great results also, but found a used one on Amazon for cheaper. The new batch of them won't be out until August.
So, without really learning the Lumix fz80, here's what I've made so far.
Left is the old one, IR...whatever. Right is the fz80.Camera advice Ir_vs_10

It's like night and day.

9Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:47 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
B&H is excellent, but good find elsewhere. The old camera had a certain artsy quality to it that added an interesting aspect to the photography, but I appreciate the new camera's better capabilities in this environment.

10Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:47 pm

davidd

davidd
Significantly better detail capture with the new camera, while maintaining your "artsy" super-saturated colors and contrast! Nice upgrade!

11Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:49 am

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
I used to predominately shoot on a Canon 70-D with a 18-135MM Canon lens, but these days I mostly use my iPhone 12 Pro. I mean, there's the whole phone vs camera debate, but today's phones just have some incredibly versatile hardware/lenses (and even software to boot!) Plus, it's especially convenient.

For instance, these are untouched photos in the camera's Portrait Mode setting using the Macro (2X) Lens.

All were taken in yellow indoor lighting in the evening.

Contour:
Camera advice 33

Stage Light:
Camera advice 34

Stage Light Mono:
Camera advice 35

High Key Light Mono:
Camera advice 38

I mean, not too bad in all honestly. Imagine with better lighting and inside a diorama perhaps, that's pretty solid stuff!

There are so many editing options in the base camera app, and then if you want to push it further here or there, plenty of apps are available for those specifics.

But, I get it if you're only wanting info on an SLR or mirrorless camera, just figured I'd at least give this a mention.

EDIT: I just read your budget, and while you can't get an iPhone 12 Pro for $300, I'm sure you could find a decent camera for that money. Definitely something for what you're needing. Check Facebook Marketplace or maybe evilBay or Craigslist. I like Canon personally, but Nikon offers great value for the Money as well.

12Camera advice Empty Re: Camera advice Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:23 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Today's cameras are frankly so good you can shoot excellent photos with even point and shoot cameras provided that you master your camera and how it works.  Also, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of your lighting. Strong lighting allows you to shoot without a tripod and at lower ISO's. Weak lighting and no tripod will ruin a photo every time.  

Most of the time, I opt for strong, even lighting to keep things simple and not have keep changing the lighting between shots.  

Camera advice 51335065766_a077836ce5_bPage_1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

The photo above was lit with one Nikon SB-800 flash mounted on the camera and pointed straight up at the white ceiling, and another on the floor pointed at the backdrop to give the sky a graduated effect.  The camera mounted flash was used in "Master" mode which means that in addition emitting light, it controls other other flash as well.  The lighting is nice and strong, the ISO is 400, and the f. stop is f.11.  Camera was a Nikon D800 (36mp)  with 24-70.  f.2.8 lens. Camera in full manual mode.

A set up like that will cost you thousands of dollars.  The good news is that you can shoot a photo that's indistinguishable from that one using a $500.00 camera $ lens kit, a tripod, shutter release and $40.00 hot lights.  It just takes more time to actually shoot the photo itself because you have to use a longer shutter speed.

Exact same technique for the photo below.

Camera advice 51257290551_079d9ef18e_bThe Good and the Bad in Dinosaur Valley 9 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Camera advice 51151262961_4779c57290_bAfternoon at Kimono Station by Gary Menten, on Flickr

The above photo was shot using natural light streaming in through a partially open window blind. The difference is I used a tripod.

Camera advice 50964426111_8ab98dea34_bPage_3 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Here the window light is faked by using one flash to camera left shooting through the louvers of an old air conditioner and anther mounted on the camera with a diffuser to provide fill light. The exact same effect can be done using cheap hot lights and either bounce lighting the fill or diffusing with an shoot through umbrella.

My point to all this is that you don't need an expensive camera to shoot great photos if you

A. Fully understand your camera, especially in manual modes and:

B. Remember that lighting is the single most important element in the photo. If your lighting is good, your photo will look good. If it is bad, you photo will look awful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum