OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TOP 10 Signs that your 1/6 collection is getting out of hand

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Top 10 signs you are a 1/6 scale addict:  

1. You not only name all of your figures, but remember their birthdays.
2. You start referring to your female collection as “your harem.”
3. Your 1/6 scale furniture looks better than your own.
4. You need to build an extension to your home to house all your 1/6 scale stuff.
5. You start referring to the money you spend on military figures as your “defense budget.”
6. You consider taking your figures on vacation with your but leaving your wife and kids behind.
7. Your collection is insured for more than your wife’s jewelry.
8. Whenever you have guests over, you introduce your collection to them as “my good friends.”
9. Your favorite 1/6 scale dealers send you birthday and Christmas cards.
10. The local kids would rather hang around your basement than in the local toy store.

Bonus:  When your head of government (Spouse) demands a reduction in your armed forces and deep cuts to defense spending, you seriously consider staging a military coup.

[b][size=18]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
My wife chuckled quite a bit at this. And did agree with #4 (needing to build an extension).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TOP 10 Signs that your 1/6 collection is getting out of hand  C8485110

Diana

Diana
Haha! Awesome! Laughing

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
For me it’s definitely the fact that my dolls have considerably better lives than I do, their own home, a pet, a girlfriend and more clothes than I think I’ve ever owned in my life. XD

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lynkhart wrote:For me it’s definitely the fact that my dolls have considerably better lives than I do, their own home, a pet, a girlfriend and more clothes than I think I’ve ever owned in my life. XD

I feel you, especially on the clothes.... I haven't bought or made 'nice' clothing for myself for years. Only my 1/6 figures get that.... Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
yep, i have to agree with the clothing part. so far i've spent more money more readily to complete a figure than on stuff i put on myself. 1:1 shoes for more than 30€,naaah what for?boots for my figure at almost 40€? absolutely worth it Wink

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Tjolnir wrote:yep, i have to agree with the clothing part. so far i've spent more money more readily to complete a figure than on stuff i put on myself. 1:1 shoes for more than 30€,naaah what for?boots for my figure at almost 40€? absolutely worth it Wink

I was just thinking that the other day when I picked up a nice pair of 1/6 boots for $40.   When was the last time I bought a pair of new shoes for myself?  I can’t even remember, especially with not having to go to an office for the last 19 months.

I think the biggest sign your 1/6 collection is getting out of hand doesn’t really have anything to do with the size of your collection or your budget.  I think it’s when you start feeling disconnected from your collection or at least a good part of it.

In many respects, I think “spoiling” your figures in general is the furthest thing from a 1/6 collection getting out of hand. You’re obviously enjoying what you already have which is a pretty cool place to be in any facet of life.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good one, Gary. All 10, actually, and the bonus, too. Smile

davidd

davidd
1. Some have names. None have birthdays. Wait... okay... but only one has a birthday*.

2. Nope, I don't refer to them as a harem. They, however, seem to have no hesitation about referring to me as "slave" or "fat boy."

3. Even my crummy cardboard + masking tape miniature furniture looks better than my real furniture.

4. A dedicated room extension for 1/6 hobby use is, I have no doubt, a dream for many, and probably most, of us!

5. Defense budget - I like that! If the example of most governments is to be followed, defense budgets are essentially limitless, and credit limits can be arbitrarily and infinitely increased.

6. I always take figures on vacation or when traveling. I spend more time selecting which which outfits and accessories to take for figures than for myself.

7. My collection definitely cost more than all my wife's jewelry... and probably more than the combined price of everything I've ever purchased for her. (Now I'm feeling guilty.)

8. Guests are not allowed to mingle with my figures. Not that I ever have guests over. My figures are usually more interesting to converse with than are most people I know.

9. I've never received so much as a postcard from those money-grubbing predators. Toy dealers are just a bunch of soulless parasites profiting from my tragic addiction.

10. Nah... there's nothing electronic or video oriented in my basement collection. Kids these days just wouldn't understand, let alone be interested. (Also, I only wish I had a basement! A toy basement would be even better than a toy room addition!)

Bonus: my collection is a very deep cover "black ops" situation; the budget has never been made public.

- - -

* Kokoro's birthday is 29 June... 2005. She turned sixteen years old this year! Crying or Very sad  Now she's bugging me to buy her a car.

TOP 10 Signs that your 1/6 collection is getting out of hand  5887285512_94698abf58_w

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:1. Some have names. None have birthdays. Wait... okay... but only one has a birthday*.

2. Nope, I don't refer to them as a harem. They, however, seem to have no hesitation about referring to me as "slave" or "fat boy."

Teen-age girls can be very cruel.

3. Even my crummy cardboard + masking tape miniature furniture looks better than my real furniture.

4. A dedicated room extension for 1/6 hobby use is, I have no doubt, a dream for many, and probably most, of us!

Erika von Stroheim calls this "Lebensraum."

5. Defense budget - I like that! If the example of most governments is to be followed, defense budgets are essentially limitless, and credit limits can be arbitrarily and infinitely increased.

6. I always take figures on vacation or when traveling. I spend more time selecting which which outfits and accessories to take for figures than for myself.

7. My collection definitely cost more than all my wife's jewelry... and probably more than the combined price of everything I've ever purchased for her. (Now I'm feeling guilty.)

And so you should be.

8. Guests are not allowed to mingle with my figures. Not that I ever have guests over. My figures are usually more interesting to converse with than are most people I know.

9. I've never received so much as a postcard from those money-grubbing predators. Toy dealers are just a bunch of soulless parasites profiting from my tragic addiction.

10. Nah... there's nothing electronic or video oriented in my basement collection. Kids these days just wouldn't understand, let alone be interested. (Also, I only wish I had a basement! A toy basement would be even better than a toy room addition!)

Bonus: my collection is a very deep cover "black ops" situation; the budget has never been made public.

- - -

* Kokoro's birthday is 29 June... 2005. She turned sixteen years old this year! Crying or Very sad  Now she's bugging me to buy her a car.

TOP 10 Signs that your 1/6 collection is getting out of hand  5887285512_94698abf58_w

davidd

davidd
Ten MORE Signs Your 1/6 Hobby is Getting Out of Hand:

1. You've ordered two.. no, three more items before your "absolutely very last purchase for now" has even arrived.

2. You have more "room boxes" for your action figures than you have rooms in your house.

3. You "budget" for toy purchases by telling yourself you'll save the money you just spent out of your next paycheck... which at this point means the paycheck that's six months out.

4. You see nothing whatsoever unusual about having drawers and bins full of disembodied heads.

5. You know nothing about birds but you're constantly talking about flocking.

6. The debate between jointed or seamless bodies is of no interest to you: they're all action figures, so gimme!

7. You can expound ad infinitum on the merits and the shortcomings of the VeryCool Miss Spetznaz figure.

8. You refuse to pay $250... wait, $350... no, I mean $450 US dollars for the Miss Spetznaz figure, because you could have pre-ordered it a year ago for $125.

9. The "rock stars" of your world have names like MiskatonicNick and The Reverend Spooky.

10. You lie awake nights wondering what will happen to your collection if you die.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:Ten MORE Signs Your 1/6 Hobby is Getting Out of Hand:

1. You've ordered two.. no, three more items before your "absolutely very last purchase for now" has even arrived.

2. You have more "room boxes" for your action figures than you have rooms in your house.

3. You "budget" for toy purchases by telling yourself you'll save the money you just spent out of your next paycheck... which at this point means the paycheck that's six months out.

4. You see nothing whatsoever unusual about having drawers and bins full of disembodied heads.

5. You know nothing about birds but you're constantly talking about flocking.

6. The debate between jointed or seamless bodies is of no interest to you: they're all action figures, so gimme!

7. You can expound ad infinitum on the merits and the shortcomings of the VeryCool Miss Spetznaz figure.

8. You refuse to pay $250... wait, $350... no, I mean $450 US dollars for the Miss Spetznaz figure, because you could have pre-ordered it a year ago for $125.

9. The "rock stars" of your world have names like MiskatonicNick and The Reverend Spooky.

10. You lie awake nights wondering what will happen to your collection if you die.

1.  Guilty, as charged.

2. Guilty, as charged.

3. Not quite there yet, but headed in that direction.

4. Don't have that many disembodied heads, but it wouldn't bother me if I did....Oh, let's just call that one "Guilty."

5. Half and half.  I know virtually nothing about birds, but don't spend a lot of time talking about flocking....yet.

6. There is an appropriate and acceptable use for each type , so let's call that one "guilty" also.

7.  Not guilty

8. Paying $450.00 seems too much like hiring a prostitute,

9.  Guilty, as charged.

10. I don't stay awake at night wondering, but only because I've taken the time to list them in my will.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum