OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The art or "steal" of when a boxed figure's component(s) is worth more than the boxed figure . . .

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
See subject.

DISCLAIMER: The following is IMHO and does not necessarily reflect actual business or collecting practices of 1:6 collectors and vendors.

1:6 vendors who specialize in the breakdown for components from boxed figures need to carefully consider the pricing/value of the components for sale based on perceived and real demand with the pricing tolerance from 1:6 collectors.

The preceding is played out when an anticipated new figure is released and there always 1:6 collectors who only want a certain component. A good example is VERYCOOL's MISS SPETSNAZ. Of course there are others.

From time to time, a specific component from a boxed figure can very well be worth a major portion of the cost for a boxed figure. Sometimes even more than the boxed figure itself in terms of the MSRP.

No need to get into specifics because we've all witnessed such during our respective time in the 1:6 hobby. However, I'll provide one example.

In the early 2000s, 21st Century Toys produced the US Helicopter Pilot set as a carded uniform set, a boxed figure, and budget price boxed figure.

The core components of the iterations consisted of the helicopter pilot's helmet, flight suit, and pilot's vest. Depending on the iteration, additional components varied.

From this set, the sought after component is . . . the helicopter pilot's helmet.

WHY?

To do this very day, no other 1:6 brand have mass produced a proper modern helicopter pilot's helmet. As with everything, the supply dried up over the years (20 years and counting).

It all depends on the "want" by collectors, but the pricing on the helmet by itself ranges from $19.99 to $49.99 or more given its desirability and uniqueness.

The carded set as a whole originally had a MSRP of $12.99 to $14.99. The boxed set had a MSRP of $29.99 while the budget version was $19.99 if I remember correctly.

~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

The art or "steal" of when a boxed figure's component(s) is worth more than the boxed figure . . . 23116610

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is a very valid and pertinent question. Very often we seek out a set because of its head sculpt or those one or two pieces of equipment we don't seem to be able to find anywhere else. I bought two of HT's Solo Mudtroopers because I was after their helmets, belts, and chinstraps for making "ATST Drivers" -- I did not care one bit for pseudo-Solo and any of his outfits. Similarly, I was tempted by the Leia+Ewok set primarily because of the "Death Star Trooper" helmet. Usually, if a piece or two are the only things you want from a set, and if you manage to find them parted out, you get a deal. However, sometimes this is a slippery slope, and you decide to buy more and more pieces, to the point of more or less reconstituting the figure or set. But if you've gotten to that point, there is a good chance you have spent about as much, if not more than you would have spent on getting the whole set. This seems to happen to me, more often than it should.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah when supply is scarce and demand is growing so you can end up with prices like these.

But it can also be the other way around:
Sometimes you also see the crazyness of todays prices of boxed figures when you look at the (overcosted) parts

Imgine you see a cool figure with a rather simple costume and maybe a belt and weapon. And the figure costs $230. Then you go on ebay and see the parts...head $80 - that might be the only part that seems right, even when it is still a lot of money. But then you see prices for simple shirts, jackets or little plastic parts like forearm protectors for $20-50 and think 'ugh!?'

In the end this $230 figure broken down into its parts can reveal the ridiculousness of the increasing prices of many figures these days when most of their parts normally shouldn't add up to a high end price.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Agreed, Valiarde. It also depends, of course, on who is doing the parting out. Some are more overpriced than others. And supply makes a difference. For example, the same set parted out on Toy Anxiety a few months (or years) apart, would have increasing costs for the parts over time -- as they become more scarce.

One more thing to be said for parted-out parts -- if you don't need all the parts and you still end up with less in the way of overall cost, it can be helpful to get what you get without the big box of the original set (unless you're the kind that not only keeps but also revels in the boxes). Not only does it cut down on shipping costs, but it takes up less space in your home. Or, in DFC's case, in his storage space. Smile But then again, he is all about complete boxed sets.

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
GubernatorFan wrote:Agreed, Valiarde. It also depends, of course, on who is doing the parting out. Some are more overpriced than others. And supply makes a difference. For example, the same set parted out on Toy Anxiety a few months (or years) apart, would have increasing costs for the parts over time -- as they become more scarce.

One more thing to be said for parted-out parts -- if you don't need all the parts and you still end up with less in the way of overall cost, it can be helpful to get what you get without the big box of the original set (unless you're the kind that not only keeps but also revels in the boxes). Not only does it cut down on shipping costs, but it takes up less space in your home. Or, in DFC's case, in his storage space. Smile But then again, he is all about complete boxed sets.

--

Actually, no.

I do have a "reputation" and I admit it involves ego and a "hoarding" aspect.

Yes. I do procure boxed and carded items, but when found and inclined and I do partake in procurement of loose components as well.

I started to organize and sort my collection of loose components last year (still in progress) and found I have a significant amount of rare 1:6 components that other 1:6 vendors don't have and/or charge a significant amount for it with varying results.

The art or "steal" of when a boxed figure's component(s) is worth more than the boxed figure . . . 23116610

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
SithDarkLordDFC wrote:
Actually, no.

I do have a "reputation" and I admit it involves ego and a "hoarding" aspect.

Yes.  I do procure boxed and carded items, but when found and inclined and I do partake in procurement of loose components as well.

I started to organize and sort my collection of loose components last year (still in progress) and found I have a significant amount of rare 1:6 components that other 1:6 vendors don't have and/or charge a significant amount for it with varying results.

Very cool, I did not realize you had much in the way of loose parts. But of course, I suppose all our collections are some combination of the two. Getting things organized is a challenge, and your system (which was shared on here) makes sense.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:It is a very valid and pertinent question. Very often we seek out a set because of its head sculpt or those one or two pieces of equipment we don't seem to be able to find anywhere else. I bought two of HT's Solo Mudtroopers because I was after their helmets, belts, and chinstraps for making "ATST Drivers" -- I did not care one bit for pseudo-Solo and any of his outfits. Similarly, I was tempted by the Leia+Ewok set primarily because of the "Death Star Trooper" helmet. Usually, if a piece or two are the only things you want from a set, and if you manage to find them parted out, you get a deal. However, sometimes this is a slippery slope, and you decide to buy more and more pieces, to the point of more or less reconstituting the figure or set. But if you've gotten to that point, there is a good chance you have spent about as much, if not more than you would have spent on getting the whole set. This seems to happen to me, more often than it should.

I’ve come to the conclusion that 9 times out of 10 I’m better off buying a whole set to get the parts(s) I want. At some point, I should probably stop doing that since I end up with a bunch of stuff I have no need for, and selling them through eBay is a tricky situation now with all the a-holes that try to rip you off.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

The art or "steal" of when a boxed figure's component(s) is worth more than the boxed figure . . . C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
I have to think of Damtoys and Very Cool too. Damtoys does a lot of modern soldiers with probably the most interesting and well made head sculpts, from what I see in the releases. Modern soldier sets with tons of equipment are never cheap. Without ever naming them, they probably made the largest range of actor headsculpts hiding under different helmets. We have Jason Statham in the Russian Navy, Will Smith as French Police or Terry Crews and Sean William Scott as a comedy duo in a Marine manouver.

They don't sell the heads seperately, but they pop up on ebay some time after the figures' releases. Although I don't know how it works actually. Are they really all parted out, or copies made by people who bought them? Is it someone involved in the production who is using the equipment to produce some on the side?
Or maybe Damtoys sells their spare heads through ebay accounts or something.
Prices are ranging from 20 to 60 per head, so maybe a combination.

The 3d printer solved most of my problems regarding little things or helmets etc I might need, since I have that machine I only bought heads, bodies and sometimes clothing. (And the printer helps with heads too, sometimes)

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
Ovy wrote:I have to think of Damtoys and Very Cool too. Damtoys does a lot of modern soldiers with probably the most interesting and well made head sculpts, from what I see in the releases. Modern soldier sets with tons of equipment are never cheap. Without ever naming them, they probably made the largest range of actor headsculpts hiding under different helmets. We have Jason Statham in the Russian Navy, Will Smith as French Police or Terry Crews and Sean William Scott as a comedy duo in a Marine manouver.

They don't sell the heads seperately, but they pop up on ebay some time after the figures' releases. Although I don't know how it works actually. Are they really all parted out, or copies made by people who bought them? Is it someone involved in the production who is using the equipment to produce some on the side?
Or maybe Damtoys sells their spare heads through ebay accounts or something.
Prices are ranging from 20 to 60 per head, so maybe a combination.

The 3d printer solved most of my problems regarding little things or helmets etc I might need, since I have that machine I only bought heads, bodies and sometimes clothing. (And the printer helps with heads too, sometimes)

--

Here we go.

I hope you wearing body armor.

1. When a 1:6 vendor breaks down a 1:6 boxed figure for components, the head sculpt is usually one of the higher end/priced components, but not always. With some recent releases, the head sculpt depending on the 1:6 brand, the design, likeness, and quality is usually goes for $30.00 to $50.00.

2. No. 1:6 brands/manufacturers DO NOT sell head sculpts from their 1:6 boxed figures separately when a new 1:6 boxed figure is produced and released. However, take this with a grain of salt. Workers at HT factory/factories who work in the production line for head sculpts (i.e., painting) sold extras out the back door ranging from "A" to "C" quality and that's how many early HT head sculpts in years past showed up on eBay before "bootlegging" on a limited/mass production took off.

Valiarde

Valiarde
SithDarkLordDFC wrote:
--
2. No. 1:6 brands/manufacturers DO NOT sell head sculpts from their 1:6 boxed figures separately when a new 1:6 boxed figure is produced and released.  However, take this with a grain of salt.  Workers at HT factory/factories who work in the production line for head sculpts (i.e., painting) sold extras out the back door ranging from "A" to "C" quality and that's how many early HT head sculpts in years past showed up on eBay before "bootlegging" on a limited/mass production took off.

That would mean, if you REALLY want that one holy grail HS of yours, better get the boxed figure to secure "A" quality and sell the rest if you don't need it.

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
Valiarde wrote:That would mean, if you REALLY want that one holy grail HS of yours, better get the boxed figure to secure "A" quality and sell the rest if you don't need it.

--

OR . . .

3. "NAH! I trust the seller from Ali Express or eBay with 0% rating with questionable terms because I want that head sculpt and it's a steal at only $19.99 plus shipping. PayPal will protect me even though I haven't read or kept up with all the next PayPal protection terms! Besides, if it goes South I know I can always post about it in a variety groups and not feel bad about my poor decision."

Wink

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ve come to the conclusion that 9 times out of 10 I’m better off buying a whole set to get the parts(s) I want. At some point, I should probably stop doing that since I end up with a bunch of stuff I have no need for, and selling them through eBay is a tricky situation now with all the a-holes that try to rip you off.

--

Pretty much.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
With the Very Cool Jenner girls, I was actually able to buy all of the individual parts (thanks in large part to Echobase and reuse on later figures) to build the complete figures cheaper than I could buy the complete figures themselves. I put both of those girls together for around $175 shipped vs the $250 (shipped) and up that they’re going for on the secondary market.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That is quite an achievement, Xavion -- I'm always hoping that is the case when I end up largely reconstituting a set.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum