OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan [7/9/2023]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Ovy

Ovy

"When the ecosystems of the world's oceans were on the brink of collapse, risky scientific efforts were made to get it back into some kind of balance. For example, while the Mediterranean coasts were overgrown by aggressive, poisonous kelp, on the American Westcoast all kelp was about to be devoured by massive swarms of sea urchins.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Steve-lonhart-noaa-mbnms--1_slide-24196e2fa1adc39ac939caa8e06bb21b45f8232c-s1600-c85

One solution to both problems was seen in a new genetic experiment.

The Californian sea urchins could live a very long time without having to feed, wandering the ocean ground in hordes like zombies in search of life to devour. Accidentally described as "zombie urchin" by a scientist, the media hopped onto the train and made the term popular, replacing a now long forgotten scientific term. Another term was "Purps", because of their color.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Purple_sea_urchin_Kelsey_Adkisson_460

From these 'zombie sea urchins', a new creation was developed, growing much faster and larger than the little urchins. Once again science was trumped by the media and the original scientific term was replaced with a more catchy, popular sounding ones: Frankenurchin, frankly. It later was rebranded as Californicurchin.

In it's other traits it was similar to it's smaller ancestors, but it could also eat and absorb the smaller sea urchins and even filter and feed on microplastic. (The term 'Pac-Sea Urchin' never became that popular, though) But while the small urchins reproduced in masses, the large ones could be controlled much better and were collected easier after finishing their jobs.
So while they helped eating the invasive kelp of the Mediterranean, they also freed California of it's first official 'zombie plague' and paved the way to kelp reforestation, which the world benefits from today.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] News1-04-fdb401955e59fae4

At least one apocalypse and hundreds of years later, these giant sea urchins are part of the new ecosystem, in which the few humans now play a much smaller role. But they rediscovered the Urchins to be a rich and tasty source of food. It's long needles make it dangerous to hunt, but with the right tools and knowledge they can be brought on land, picked apart and boiled in their own carapace, which after the feast is dried in the sun and used for several purposes - be it as stylish watering can, a shower head, part of an instrument or fashion."

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Urchinoldphoto

- The New Ecosystem III: Flora and Fauna of the Mediterranean
Tier IV-Scribe Reflexio of Mirage Delta

Nobody left alive knows what ever happened to these Reef diving scientists who helped prevent the death of our oceans, but hundreds of years later, one Mediterran is specialized in these bizarre animals:

California.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221201-172550

When her fellow Mediterrans think of California, they think of adventurous pearl diving, surfing action and the Riccini di Mare (more about that later).

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221130-164419

But while pearl diving she also discovered the benefits of collecting the Super Sea Urchins. On her diving expeditions, she learned how to salvage the entire creature for food, shell, poison and medicine. She developed at least three medical products and two poisons of it and took great risks in catalouging the wandering paths and birth cycles of these mysterious creatures, which are rumored by some Mediterrans to have come from space.

Can it be a coincidence that her first name matches one of her greatest passions?
When all the leaves were brown and the sky was grey, her mother went for a walk on a winter's day.
She fell down on her knees and began to give birth to California. After that, only sunny days followed.
She called her California Sol after the mythical land at the edge of the world, at the end of all civilization.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] California-Sun

Mythical California is also the location of Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty, where the streets are paved with golden starfish. Her mysterious father who is said to have had bright blonde hair and a sunny smile was believed to be an angel from there, so California's mum claims.
(Note: The actual land of California might not be that far away as everyone believes, though. A hint is a location called 'Venice Beach' - many believe historical California might actually be the sunken City of Venezia.)

Anyway, California might be the world's expert on Californian Super Sea Urchins, while there aren't that many humans left and the interest in science is much lower these days.

(This is obviously a Mutanti Giganti Claw, but California was asked to pose and "look scientific" with this prop when envoys of the Mirror communities were visiting with their daguerreotype camera. Her diving goggles also is a protection against splinters when working on the urchin shells.)
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221129-000126

And like hundreds of years ago, science will always be overshadowed by fancy spectacle, that's why California is most well known for one invention: The Riccini, or Rikini, originally Riccini di mare (ital.: Ricci di Mare = Sea Urchin).

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Riccini-Di-Mare

So when people are asked about California, they seldom reply with"You mean the leading scientist on Super Sea Urchins, whose research all our communities benefit from!?", but rather
"The blonde one who invented that spikey Bikini which compliments her form rather well?", in infinite different formulations. Since the first time she wore it publicly on the Stella Maris last year, she is regularly commissioned by women (or their partners) to make yet another custom Riccini for them. It's not easy work, as the sturdy shells can break in the wrong places if the force of a chisel and hand drill is applied to the wrong area. A process California and her skillfull hands mastered during her research projects.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221128-235431

So after several years she now has returned to her clan, for reasons yet unknown. She usually visits her half sister Capraia here, but it seems she is going to stay for a while.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221117-175253

Here she is wearing the first Riccini prototype which was created by accident, when her favourite super sea urchin Aristoteles III. perished in a crab attack.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiabeach003fa-edited2

The Riccini di Mare is the ultimate fashion statement of the modern Mediterran clanswoman.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiabeach007

While not the most practical of accessories, it's the style that counts.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiachill006

California doesn't recommend it for her favourite past times, diving and surfing, although she has been seen wearing it anyways.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiachill007fb

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiachill011

It obviously has some problems she adressed later.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiachill005

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Californiabeach003fa-edited

Soon after the comissions came in, several new ones would be made with a form that is more fitting.

davidd

davidd
Ovy wrote:  ..."The blonde one who invented that spikey Bikini which compliments her form rather well?"

Ah, yes! I wish they all could be California girls!

Thorough (and entertainingly plausible) backstory on the emergence, the near-apocalyptic sea-floor dominance, and the eventual control of the Super Urchins... enhanced with clever musical interludes!

The urchins remain, if not a menace, at least an inconvenience in some isolated locales:

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] 5918320850_455b4a69f4

Razz

On a more practical note: what tools do you use to cut and drill the urchin shells? And did you craft miniature amphoræ for the sepia-toned "historical photo?"

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Delightfully twisted, naturally ornate, just like the ricci di mare themselves. And extremely beautifully presented. Aristoteles III the late urchin had me laughing out loud. Well, at least he is still with her, and closer than ever. Quite touching, really.
I wonder what is the source of the small pearls that you used in one or two places here, and if they are actually stringable.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Oh wow, they actually make a rather perfect bikini! I’d never have thought of that! 😂😂 I’ve only been lucky enough to find a couple of sea urchins whilst beachcombing - gorgeous green and purple beauties from the Inner Hebrides - but I’ve got loads of well worn fragments I keep meaning to make into jewellery or something. Consider me inspired!

BAMComix

BAMComix
Excellent Ovy! the shell bikini looks great, but the thing that most impressed me was the ear ring, very clever! The pics of he of superb, terrific posing. She could be a new fave Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What a neat idea. You never cease to impress with your inventiveness. Really cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
She's gorgeous! And very sexy, in a tasteful way. Love the effect of the water on her 'skin'. As always, an inventive use of materials paired with a fascinating backstory.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Valiarde

Valiarde
This was a very educational introduction. Again learned something about sea urchins and zombie sea urchins. No wonder, with an expert like California Sol! Smile

"California was asked to pose and "look scientific" lol That made me giggle. She already looks very professional with the heavy crab claw device in her hands. The mirror people were certainly impressed.

And as a fashion trendsetter she can make her hobby (diving) her profession and pick up raw material AND at the same time she is also a good model.

Very sexy pictures and her head is also immediately recognizable Ovyanic Wink
What did you change on that HS?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovyesque? And isn't that a Ciri with a repaint and real hair?

Valiarde

Valiarde
GubernatorFan wrote:Ovyesque? And isn't that a Ciri with a repaint and real hair?
Ovyesque! thanks  Smile

I must admit, I don't recognize that head, but I feel I should know  What a Face

Ovy

Ovy
California  with the much better fitting second Riccini. Made another three in between for a comission so I had some practice. Still have to sort the other pics, actually made the most of this in October and November.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221129-001213

davidd wrote:
Ovy wrote:  ..."The blonde one who invented that spikey Bikini which compliments her form rather well?"

Ah, yes! I wish they all could be California girls!

Thorough (and entertainingly plausible) backstory on the emergence, the near-apocalyptic sea-floor dominance, and the eventual control of the Super Urchins... enhanced with clever musical interludes!

The urchins remain, if not a menace, at least an inconvenience in some isolated locales:

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] 5918320850_455b4a69f4

Razz

On a more practical note: what tools do you use to cut and drill the urchin shells? And did you craft miniature amphoræ for the sepia-toned "historical photo?"
Thanks a lot, great pic! Always pays to live by the sea. I heard after the collapse of the global bank system, they use Sand Dollars n the US?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_dollar

And yeah sadly the story sound so plausible because the only thing I added were the Super Sea urchins. In reality, they try to fight the purple zombie sea urchins with sea otters, starfish and divers. It's up and down with the kelp forests.
https://baynature.org/2021/09/13/kelp-forests-surge-back-on-the-north-coast-with-a-lesson-about-stable-environments/

And glad you recognized some of the musical interludes, there were more I tried to shoehorn in, but maybe another time.

Those Amphorae are from a spacious diorama Valiarde made until he realized it takes away a lot of space, so it now takes away a lot of space over here.

The hardest part about getting good splinters of the tests (tests are the shells of the Sea Urchin) is crushing the beautiful sea urchin gently. Some break at the "seams" so uniformly jagged splinters are created.

The oval ones (Echinometra mathaei) are much sturdier and harder, the round ones (Tripneustes gratilla) much thinner and more fragile. I only have those, they are very cheap (some cents per piece) and found in deco stores in summer for example. I reinforced them in the back with multiple layers of Super glue.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] IMG-20221118-213745

Except the lower middle one, these all come from oval urchins.

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] IMG-20221119-021058-edited

For some I used a hacksaw to get favourable pieces. Sandpaper/sanding pads were used for smooting, metal files for detailing. I didn't activate my powertool as I wanted more control, so bascially I useed a hand drill on the inner sides.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] IMG-20221122-210228-edited

There are extremly beautiful Sea Urchin tests out there with very varyying prices. I seems it get's more expensive the more colorful they are. Everyone who sends me beautiful Sea urchins gets free Riccinis.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Il_1588xN.3232330997_p5zj

https://www.schnecken-und-muscheln.de/Mehr-Meer/Regularia/Coelopleurus-maculatus-PH-3-cm::2916.html

GubernatorFan wrote:Delightfully twisted, naturally ornate, just like the ricci di mare themselves. And extremely beautifully presented. Aristoteles III the late urchin had me laughing out loud. Well, at least he is still with her, and closer than ever. Quite touching, really.
I wonder what is the source of the small pearls that you used in one or two places here, and if they are actually stringable.
Beautifully formulated, rhetorically pleasing. The pearls on the goggles, ear and belly button are those nail art half pearls, not stringable.
Glad you could laugh, although I knew philophical puns work with you. For educational purposes, there is a part of the sea urchin which is called "Aristotele's lantern" by all scientists except Aristoteles, who called it Horn lantern.  It's the teeth/mouth/jaw part of the Sea Urchin.

(Mouth/Teeth points downwards in the urchin. Never confuse a Sea urchins mouth with it's exit, they might get angry)
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Jwh_7000

https://themarinedetective.com/2020/09/13/aristotles-lantern/

Aristoteles might have been one of the first to write scientific texts about Sea Urchin teeth it in the History of Animals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Animals

Lynkhart wrote:Oh wow, they actually make a rather perfect bikini! I’d never have thought of that! 😂😂 I’ve only been lucky enough to find a couple of sea urchins whilst beachcombing - gorgeous green and purple beauties from the Inner Hebrides - but I’ve got loads of well worn fragments I keep meaning to make into jewellery or something. Consider me inspired!
Haha, yeah it was a really happy accident! Glad to inspire. I guess your fragments are these beautiful little dotted chips, sanded smooth by the sea. I agree think these would make great jewelry.

BAMComix wrote:Excellent Ovy! the shell bikini looks great, but the thing that most impressed me was the ear ring, very clever! The pics of he of superb, terrific posing. She could be a new fave Very Happy
Thanks a lot! Yeah, Lynkhart got me on the track to use nail art as armor rivets, but then I stayed with tiny nails for rivets and used the half pearls as pearls. And it's Reverend Spooky's favourite for some reason.

Stryker2011 wrote:What a neat idea. You never cease to impress with your inventiveness. Really cool.
Thanks a lot! It's the Leia Bikini of her time.

skywalkersaga wrote:She's gorgeous! And very sexy, in a tasteful way. Love the effect of the water on her 'skin'. As always, an inventive use of materials paired with a fascinating backstory.
Thanks a lot, glad you found it tasteful too! Yes that water effect is achieved with your regular water spray can I used to clean the tbleuages with. If you keep a distance and spray indirectly that fine drop effect is achieved.

Valiarde wrote:This was a very educational introduction. Again learned something about sea urchins and zombie sea urchins. No wonder, with an expert like California Sol! Smile

"California was asked to pose and "look scientific" lol That made me giggle. She already looks very professional with the heavy crab claw device in her hands. The mirror people were certainly impressed.

And as a fashion trendsetter she can make her hobby (diving) her profession and pick up raw material AND at the same time she is also a good model.

Very sexy pictures and her head is also immediately recognizable Ovyanic Wink
What did you change on that HS?
Thanks, yeah the main reason of this post is educating people about sea urchins and the environment.
I painted the lips to remove lipstick, added some thin bown layers, added freckles and gave her the Mediterran/Kasrovykian eye shadow treatment to hide badly painted/printed eyelashes.

GubernatorFan wrote:Ovyesque? And isn't that a Ciri with a repaint and real hair?
No its a Ymtoys YMT015B headsculpt, the A verison I used with black hair for Capraia, the First Mediterran and the C (Red) for one of the Cargo People. When I made those Tank Girl Comissions, I got the head again, later with the blonde scalp of the head.

By now it seems to be sold out at most places. They never looked like the promos anyway. We will see California and her sister in the next post.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] 20181121_e351e1

BAMComix

BAMComix
Super black & white shot Ovy, you caught the shadows perfectly! I might try and have a go myself at some point! (with a figure, of course Very Happy ).

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221129-001213

davidd

davidd
Thank you for the information about your tools and techniques, including the suggestion to reinforce the brittle shells with a layer of glue.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That black and white photo is excellent. Sexy and subtle.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree. The black and white photo is thoroughly beautiful. All the more so, with the expressive sea urchin bra adding detail to the shadows.
Thanks for expanding our education, Ovy, and explaining the Aristotelian reference (which I was connecting with very different dots). Ah, the tiny stickable half pearls... should have thought of those. I know them and have used them, except it was usually bigger sizes. And nice job on the YM head -- I think I like her better your way.

Illusion

Illusion
aargh, you are just killing me (over and over again) with your ovyque way to present your stuff!
feels like a spring of ideas that merrily spray all around you…

Aristoteles III - lol

I wonder whether we will get to know how other regions that commissioned the riccinis will wear them.

ukshaun

ukshaun
The opening pic's had me confused for a second or two, thinking the poster was on the wrong forum - Lol!
Great figure. The portrait is not one i recall seeing before, and looks different, in a good way.
Some excellent posing and photo skills.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

ElBundy

ElBundy
A new summer fashion that was created in 1/6 scale first. You should have it patented!

Ovy

Ovy

When California arrived back at her old clan on Stella Maris, her friends and family were confused and delighted. She went to another clan some years ago, supposed to get married etc. But if asked about it, she is fast to distract from that topic. She also didn't bring her surfboard with her, which is also suspicious. She is already planning to have a new one crafted and paint it.

California with her second Riccini and her trusty ancient Seiko diving watch.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali000

Her pearl knife will be shown in detail another time.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali003

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali006

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali007

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali008

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali004

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali010

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali001

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali002a

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali005

Here the last BW shot in color.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cali009

The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] PSX-20221209-140339

California and her little half sister Capraia. The more superficial Clanspeople would place them in categories like "The tall smiley sunny one" and the "short dark moody one", but that's too much generalization.
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Casissters

They have the same face, but because of the hair and facepaint, some don't realize they are sisters. California and Capraia don't believe in the term "half-sister".
The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] Cassisters2

BAMComix wrote:Super black & white shot Ovy, you caught the shadows perfectly! I might try and have a go  myself at some point! (with a figure, of course  Very Happy ).

Thanks a lot! Glad to have inspired you for a shoot.

davidd wrote:Thank you for the information about your tools and techniques, including the suggestion to reinforce the brittle shells with a layer of glue.
Your welcome

Stryker2011 wrote:That black and white photo is excellent. Sexy and subtle.
Thanks a lot

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree. The black and white photo is thoroughly beautiful. All the more so, with the expressive sea urchin bra adding detail to the shadows.
Thanks for expanding our education, Ovy, and explaining the Aristotelian reference (which I was connecting with very different dots). Ah, the tiny stickable half pearls... should have thought of those. I know them and have used them, except it was usually bigger sizes. And nice job on the YM head -- I think I like her better your way.
Thanks sir. Glad to educate. What was your connection to Aristoteles?
And they are not the sticky half pearls, they are just half pearls, you have to attach the glue yourself.

Illusion wrote:aargh, you are just killing me (over and over again) with your ovyque way to present your stuff!
feels like a spring of ideas that merrily spray all around you…

Aristoteles III - lol

I wonder whether we will get to know how other regions that commissioned the riccinis will wear them.
Thanks, yeah it's usually more ideas than time and money to realize them, as you know.

And I wonder too!

ukshaun wrote:The opening pic's had me confused for a second or two, thinking the poster was on the wrong forum - Lol!
Great feature. The portrait is not one i recall seeing before, and looks different, in a good way.
Some excellent posing and photo skills.
Haha, yeah that was intentional as you realized. Thanks.

ElBundy wrote:A new summer fashion that was created in 1/6 scale first. You should have it patented!
Ha, maybe, and create genetically manipulated super sea urchins along the way.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
More beautiful photos of your beautiful creation. Love them. And I do appreciate you manage to keep them tasteful throughout. Loving the beadwork, which seems even more prominent now -- in fact on both sisters. And even the basic clothing, which is inspiring, as I have been working on something along these lines (minus riccini) on and off these days. What glue (if any) did you use for the pearl in her navel? I ask from the point of view of what works on but does not harm the TPE?
Aristoteles -- I don't know, the combination of giving a sea urchin the name of a great philosopher and references to Greeks (and Greek shipping magnates like Aristoteles Onassis) and the sea seemed both hilarious and apropos. Like naming a Dachshund Maximilian or something. Smile

davidd

davidd
I like the trusty ancient Seiko diving watch. I'm wearing a not-quite-ancient-but-nevertheless-trusty Seiko diving watch myself at this very moment, with the screw-in crown at the 4 o' clock position.

I'm also intrigued by the shell-like decor around the rim of the goggles. That's a clever visual detail.

BAMComix

BAMComix
California certainly has style! everything works perfectly Ovy.

Diana

Diana
Aaagh! Your creations are so wonderful!! Love this new character and those bikinis are ridiculous!! Just... genius!! Very creative and beautiful on top! Unbelievable. And very inspiring. Thank you. Smile

I love that sculpt, too, and the way the sisters look together. Kinda wish I had gotten the YMT015B, too. I opted for Ming, which I don't regret, but... oh well.. Got enough unused heads on display. Laughing

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice outfit. And the extra accessories/jewelry, et., look great together.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Very creative and in a way probably better than clam shells for bras a la Ariel. Looking at them from the top they almost look like puffy hats with little beads stuck to them.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! The Super Sea Urchins of California - Actual suntan  [7/9/2023] 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum