OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Empty Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary Thu May 25, 2023 6:39 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
40 years ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Rotj110

May 25, 1983: Star Wars fans lining up for the premiere of Return of the Jedi in Philadelphia....

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Star-w10

I didn't have a lot of spare time this week, but managed to do a quick photoshoot in honour of my all-time favourite nostalgia film, aka the REAL ending of the Skywalker saga!  I love you

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1211

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1313

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1213

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1310

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1215

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1312

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1210

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1217

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Img_1311

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice pictures, Sky! Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f60d
I went to see the movie as a child, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 1893. I'm old, but not so very old. Sorry, I could not ignore the typo... Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f60b

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh whoops, I was posting this so fast.... I'll fix it. Laughing

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Nice photos. I was one of those crazy people standing in line in my town when I was in high school. Sad they added the cute teddy bears, but it was okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f10

Visisonor

Visisonor
Visuals and audio were surely groundbreaking for that period...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
There's nothing wrong with cute teddy bears. I love you

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Visisonor wrote:
Visuals and audio were surely groundbreaking for that period...

I mean, I fixed the typo.... what else can I do... Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f62d

Visisonor

Visisonor
Sorry, did not intend to sound mean.

Your Luke and Vader photos capture the spirit of the scene

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Visisonor wrote:Sorry, did not intend to sound mean.

Your Luke and Vader photos capture the spirit of the scene

Thanks. :')

And it's ok, I was just being silly/melodramatic (hard to convey tone on here).

10Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Empty Re: Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary Thu May 25, 2023 12:56 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
skywalkersaga wrote:There's nothing wrong with cute teddy bears. I love you

I liked the Ewoks very much back in the day, and I am still very little annoyed by them when re-watching RotJ. I sadly cannot say the same for a lot of creatures introduced in the prequel/sequel trilogy -- but it all comes down to personal taste, of course. Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f600

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Everyone has their own tastes, but I'd personally rather not equate the Prequels with the Sequels. Wink They are totally different things, entirely separate from one another. I am a huge fan and passionate defender of the Prequels, for instance, but I LOATHE the Sequels and ignore them entirely (don't consider them canon at all). So while I am with you on disliking a lot of the creature designs in the Sequels (and so much of Disney stuff in general), I don't have as much issue with the Prequels designs at all, and in fact love many of them.

So yeah.... it just depend on personal taste.  Very Happy

As is probably obvious by now, I'm a die-hard Lucas-era Star Wars fan and don't have any time for Disney's version of 'Star Wars'.  This is perhaps an uncommon niche way to be in this day and age, but that's how I prefer to enjoy Star Wars .... as two Trilogies (Prequels x Original Trilogy) that mirror one another and create one, complete saga. Anything else is just Expanded Universe to varying degrees, and you can take it or leave it.

Today, I celebrate RotJ because, for me, it is the true and only 'ending' of the real Skywalker saga. I love you

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Fantastic lighting and photograph as ever Sky! Vader’s mask always looks so good with really dramatic lighting as it emphasises all the facets and lines so well.

I know you hate the sequels (and tbh I’m pretty indifferent to them myself, particularly the last one - I’ve never been more disappointed and genuinely angry at the ending of a film before!) but have you seen any of the series like The Mandalorian and Andor? They feels bit more old school to me, particularly with the costuming and creature effects and the fact they’re set before all the sequel business.

Also damn, I feel surprisingly young on this anniversary, I wasn’t even born when ROTJ came out! 🙈😂

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lynkhart wrote:Fantastic lighting and photograph as ever Sky! Vader’s mask always looks so good with really dramatic lighting as it emphasises all the facets and lines so well.

Thanks so much! I need to photograph this Vader more, he was indeed surprisingly photogenic, lol!

Lynkhart wrote: I know you hate the sequels (and tbh I’m pretty indifferent to them myself, particularly the last one - I’ve never been more disappointed and genuinely angry at the ending of a film before!) but have you seen any of the series like The Mandalorian and Andor? They feels bit more old school to me, particularly with the costuming and creature effects and the fact they’re set before all the sequel business.

Ah, the Disney live action tv series aren't something I've dared to try as of yet. My husband (who is also a PT x OT fan and Sequels-hater, lol)  has seen most of them and has rec'd me some as well, but I was burned so badly by the entire 'concept' of the Sequels that I've just never fully trusted anything Disney does since then. My problem isn't so much the individual side storylines themselves, but rather the fact that they are taking place in a 'universe' where the Sequels stuff is supposed to have happened (or eventually will happen). And that's really tough for me to just ignore. Others might be able to, and if so, I envy them. But I struggle.  The other issue I have is that I've always been pretty dead-set against watching/reading anything set post-RotJ anyway, even before the Disney stuff came out.  When I've delved into Expanded Universe material, it's mostly been stuff set during the Prequels/Clone Wars era. I'm just... really content with RotJ as the ending of the entire story and don't really want to see anything afterward (other than my own imagination!). It's extremely important to me that the Skywalker family have an unequivocally happy ending. It's what makes the story a mythic space fairytale, as it should be. :')

All that being said, I don't begrudge anyone else enjoying those 'other' things. (My ire for Disney content is mainly reserved for the fake-Sequels, the rest I am mostly just indifferent toward.) And maybe some day when I'm emotionally more open to risking it, I might even dare to watch a few things as long as they aren't set after RotJ. Aferall, I didn't mind Rogue One back when it came out, it's just that after that I ended up too 'burned' to keep watching. So for now, it's best for my mental health and stress levels that I just continue living in my little bubble. Razz

Lynkhart wrote: Also damn, I feel surprisingly young on this anniversary, I wasn’t even born when ROTJ came out! 🙈😂

Aww, well for what it's worth... I wasn't born yet then, either.  Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f605

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You got one thing absolutely right, Sky, the real ending (so far) of the Skywalker Saga. The rest is legends and nightmares, at least in my book. Smile
You also got the look and feel of your Luke and Vader photos just right, a beautiful tribute to the film.
The Ewoks in and of themselves were ok, but their role in the movie, and the whole rushed wrap up of the trilogy didn't make this the best of these movies for me.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, GF. Glad the Luke and Vader evoked the film's aesthetic somewhat. I don't have extensive dioramas or backdrops yet, and just threw something together last minute. But I'm enjoying playing around with lighting now that I have the equipment to do so. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks, GF. Glad the Luke and Vader evoked the film's aesthetic somewhat. I don't have extensive dioramas or backdrops yet, and just threw something together last minute. But I'm enjoying playing around with lighting now that I have the equipment to do so. Smile
It is beautiful work.

17Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Empty Re: Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary Fri May 26, 2023 12:28 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
skywalkersaga wrote:I didn't mind Rogue One back when it came out

Given that I consider Rogue One the only decent movie after Lucasfilm was sold (i.e. I've seen the sequels and wish I hadn't so I envy your stance of Lucas-only
instalments), I can recommend Andor TV series as worth watching. It is set before Rogue One, so there are no tie-ins to sequels (at least yet), and it features complex plot that actually makes sense, and some good storytelling (which is a rare thing in Disney Star Wars).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
You're not the only one who recommended that series, visisonar. It's something I might consider in future, but will have to think about it. : )

And ha, yeah, I am nothing if not stubborn in my stance on this subject. Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  1f605

Ovy

Ovy
Beautiful pics, the multi colored light sources really makes them pop. The 3D glasses red and blue along with the purple - which fits your avatar, especially purple Vader, maybe you could use the portrait - give off a fittingly nostalgic vibe.

Luke in the first pic looks like he could be a chancellor too. Also like that shine of all those details on Vader's shiny black helmet

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:Beautiful pics, the multi colored light sources really makes them pop. The 3D glasses red and blue along with the purple - which fits your avatar, especially purple Vader, maybe you could use the portrait - give off a fittingly nostalgic vibe.

Thanks so much, Ovy! I'm enjoying my new lighting equipment and looking forward to more photoshoots. And I'm glad you noticed the ]purple.... my favourite colour. :')

Ovy wrote:Luke in the first pic looks like he could be a chancellor too. Also like that shine of all those details on Vader's shiny black helmet

Ha, true. And Vader was unexpectedly fun to photograph, will have to get him out for photoshoots more often. I love you

rootleaf

rootleaf
Thank you for this! You made good use of your lighting equipment. I can't believe it has been 40 years. It really brings me back as I was only 13. The speeder bikes were amazing (if anyone brings up pod racers, I will slap them  Laughing )

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
rootleaf wrote:Thank you for this! You made good use of your lighting equipment. I can't believe it has been 40 years. It really brings me back as I was only 13. The speeder bikes were amazing (if anyone brings up pod racers, I will slap them  Laughing )

Glad it brought some nostalgia for you.... that was the idea. Smile

Not sure what 'the other thing' has to do with the speeder bikes in RotJ. But then I'm a Prequels fan, so it's not really an issue for me either way... /shrug

23Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Empty Re: Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rootleaf wrote:Thank you for this! You made good use of your lighting equipment. I can't believe it has been 40 years. It really brings me back as I was only 13. The speeder bikes were amazing (if anyone brings up pod racers, I will slap them  Laughing )

Yep, me too. If you like Speeder Bikes, you might enjoy this topic (especially the second part) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6114-scouts-and-rides-updated-with-part-ii-may-2023-star-wars-comparison-reviews-hot-toys-sideshow-hasbro-etc#86431

24Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary  Empty Re: Return of the Jedi - 40th Anniversary Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:53 pm

rootleaf

rootleaf
GubernatorFan wrote:

Yep, me too. If you like Speeder Bikes, you might enjoy this topic (especially the second part) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6114-scouts-and-rides-updated-with-part-ii-may-2023-star-wars-comparison-reviews-hot-toys-sideshow-hasbro-etc#86431

Wow, Ian! That is a super comprehensive review - thanks for that. Is the Hasbro one in your review the same one as the one from 1999? Back in 2000, I had the Hasbro 1/6 scale Speeder Bike w/ Scout Trooper and it was amazing. However, I couldn't afford to keep it so I reluctantly sold it. It was a different time.

Anyway, the vehicle designs from RotJ are second to none...Shuttle Tydirium, Skiff, Scout Walker, to name a few.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum