OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

blackpool

shazzdan wrote:IMO the benchmark should be Black Sails, not Pirates of the Caribbean. It was the best pirate show ever made.

I agree with you about the visual quality, Black Sails was a very well done show with a very realistic atmosphere and colors, even if not always historically accurate, it felt very realistic, both through the sets, costumes, and props...

I was not mentioning Pirates of the Caribbean as a "benchmark" in the pirate movie genre at all, but it definitely is a milestone, I know a lot of people dislike these movies, some because of disney, some because of johnny depp's very unique acting... It doesn't change the fact that this franchise brought back the "pirates" theme to the actual trend, I'm not sure Black Sails would even have existed without the success of pirates of the Caribbean.
Good or bad it just proved that pirates movies could be as bankable as scifi, that's what I meant when referring to this franchise. Now I totally agree they are not masterpieces at all, I found them funny and very entertaining, but they are unrealistic and historically inaccurate from A to Z.

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Not a bad figure, but, why that movie, and why now!? Black Sails is good, but, it's fair to say that POTC is in decline now. I enjoyed the first one but have never been inclined to see any of the sequels.

CHEERS!

Talon65

WOOF! I was really interested in this but I'm seeing prices well over $200! Yikes!

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Double yikes when you see the production quality on Hannibal Lecter.

CHEERS!

blackpool

blackpool
that's a recurring problem with blitzway, the final product is good but often very far from the prototype, and the prices are tough to say the least, I had to pass on the ghostbusters and tyler durden from fight club for that reason...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
They completely nailed Carlito though, that's my favourite Pacino.

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

... Ah, Geena...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
If the head turns out ok, she'd be fun to put with a Brundlefly, if one can be found that is....

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

Rogerbee wrote:If the head turns out ok, she'd be fun to put with a Brundlefly, if one can be found that is....

CHEERS!

Indeed, she’s sensational in that film opposite the also exceptionally intellectually talented Mr. Goldblum...  

The Head Sculpt shown here bears a decent likeness to the Geena, and the smirk is true enough to this particular character - however, I would have much preferred an expression of passion

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
LOL! He was never that exciting as plain Seth Brundle, it only got good when he started mutating.

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

Rogerbee wrote:LOL! He was never that exciting as plain Seth Brundle, it only got good when he started mutating.

CHEERS!

Please, sir, do not discount the consummate thespian that is Mr. Goldblum.  All else - as oysters to escargot…

While Goldblum’s Brundle were brilliant, one of my favorite lines is from his performance in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978); during his exchange with his character’s increasingly hysterical wife, Nancy, when she first surmises that the plants just might be the alien culprits…

Goldblum, as Jack:  “What are you talking about?  A space flower?”

Nancy (earnestly): “Why not a space flower?  Why do we always expect metal ships!?”

Jack (quite flatly, dubiously):  “I never expected metal ships...”  

LOL.  It is of excellence…

And, would you like to know what is also consistently of excellence, Rogerbee?  

The Geena…

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I was talking about the character, not Jeff, he's the main man, a top dude. Who else could release a jazz album and still be cool!?

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:Not a bad figure, but, why that movie, and why now!? Black Sails is good, but, it's fair to say that POTC is in decline now. I enjoyed the first one but have never been inclined to see any of the sequels.

CHEERS!

REALLY? you should, they're all great fun!

PureEnergy

Rogerbee wrote:
I was talking about the character, not Jeff, he's the main man, a top dude. Who else could release a jazz album and still be cool!?

CHEERS!

LOL.  Indeed, although I rather feel that Goldblum and Brundle had become as one during his award-winning performance… Seff Goldblundle...  

Yes, he’s cool as the pillow’s flip.  Goldblum’s musical abilities likely convey that particular dynamic of true talent; that is, it is always the same phenomena as translated through various media of expression.  

And jazz is the river...  Get baptized, brother!

Wink

PureEnergy

shovelchop81 wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:Not a bad figure, but, why that movie, and why now!? Black Sails is good, but, it's fair to say that POTC is in decline now. I enjoyed the first one but have never been inclined to see any of the sequels.

CHEERS!

While I can see what you might mean by "fun" - I am not especially fond of the PotC films, myself.  They’re just a bit too camp Captain Hook for my grown mannishness.  I suspect that I might have more appreciation for them if I were say, seven - or, perhaps, if I were some sort of Deppsycophant - of which there seems to be no shortage.
Unfortunately, I am neither, and much of the intended magic is lost on me.  I have a difficult time finishing any of the sequels, and have actually only accomplished that feat once or twice - although, I have tried - and so, in the spirit of your meaning, I would believe.  

I’d read somewhere that Depp’s portrayal of Jack Sparrow is said to have been based on his perception of the Rolling Stones’ guitarist, Keith Richards, inebriated.  Personally, I’d never noticed that colorful, effeminate flair of the unkillable music machine before, so I don’t quite capisce.  

It begs the question: why must the depiction of pirates in their pursuit of booty be so often available to that particularly tired double entendre?  And surely, in that regard, Mr. Depp’s effusive flamboyancy isn't exactly revolutionary.  Even at seven, I think I’d likely have questioned Sparrow’s ambiguous peculiarity...  

However…  Penelope in boots…

(Although the Head Sculpts for that figure that I have seen, sadly, seem to serve the lady an egregious injustice.)

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
PureEnergy wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:

CHEERS!

While I can see what you might mean by "fun" - I am not especially fond of the PotC films, myself.  They’re just a bit too camp Captain Hook for my grown mannishness.  I suspect that I might have more appreciation for them if I were say, seven - or, perhaps, if I were some sort of Deppsycophant - of which there seems to be no shortage.
Unfortunately, I am neither, and much of the intended magic is lost on me.  I have a difficult time finishing any of the sequels, and have actually only accomplished that feat once or twice - although, I have tried - and so, in the spirit of your meaning, I would believe.  

I’d read somewhere that Depp’s portrayal of Jack Sparrow is said to have been based on his perception of the Rolling Stones’ guitarist, Keith Richards, inebriated.  Personally, I’d never noticed that colorful, effeminate flair of the unkillable music machine before, so I don’t quite capisce.  

It begs the question: why must the depiction of pirates in their pursuit of booty be so often available to that particularly tired double entendre?  And surely, in that regard, Mr. Depp’s effusive flamboyancy isn't exactly revolutionary.  Even at seven, I think I’d likely have questioned Sparrow’s ambiguous peculiarity...  

However…  Penelope in boots…

(Although the Head Sculpts for that figure that I have seen, sadly, seem to serve the lady an egregious injustice.)

I suffer from chronic depression so I only need movies to take me away from my perceived reality (obviously distorted due to depression, lack of endorphins) and inspire me to build figures which is why I am a sci-fi and fantasy fan mostly but love historical stuff too, mostly ancient and classic.

PureEnergy

shovelchop81 wrote:I suffer from chronic depression so I only need movies to take me away from my perceived reality (obviously distorted due to depression, lack of endorphins) and inspire me to build figures which is why I am a sci-fi and fantasy fan mostly but love historical stuff too, mostly ancient and classic.

Well, I’d not have guessed that, Chop; you’ve a bright light, and your humor always seems refreshingly genuine.  I trust that you are adequately coping and can typically enjoy yourself as much as we enjoy you, sincerely.

Appreciation for escapism is certainly not limited to those with your condition, and I suspect that we all need it, to one degree or another.  While a chemical imbalance such as that which you’ve described is an altogether different animal than anyone’s ordinary episode of sadness or self-doubt; being human, it takes but a fair measure of empathy in order to understand, and I truly admire your fortitude.  

The moment is a naturally fleeting thing; all too often, it passes without reflection for most - but not quite so for you, I’d imagine.  I do not at all dismiss your struggles, however, I must also see you as perhaps exceptionally gifted - in that you are that much less likely to take a single smile for granted...  

Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Cuttthroat island was intended to be fun, and that didn't exactly do well. POTC is one of those take it or leave it kind of things for me. While I found the first one entertaining, it just didn't compel me to want to see more. Multiple sequel franchises don't always do it for me I'm afraid. Once they get past trilogies I really do lose interest. Occasionally, like with Child's Play and Nightmare on Elm St, they do remain entertaining, however, that doesn't mean they are all as good as the movie that spawned them.

Star Trek was another exception, but, that was always down to the cast and their ability to make the best of whatever came their way.

Hollywood is stuck in a dangerous rut, relying too heavily on multiples of the same old same old. It doesn't encourage fresh new talent that can diversify like Spielberg can. Yes, he has done sequels for his movies, but, he kept his hand on the tiller at all times. It's easy to forget that Jaws, although directed by him, was a studio movie so they got to choose what they did with the sequels that followed that.

We need another maverick that can stand up to studios

CHEERS!

shazzdan

shazzdan
Rogerbee wrote:Once they get past trilogies I really do lose interest.
Except for Police Academy. All seven of them were just as good as the first one Razz
I wanted to name my son "Tackleberry", but the missus wasn't too keen. I settled on calling the dog "Tackleberry".

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Cuttthroat island was intended to be fun, and that didn't exactly do well.

Multiple sequel franchises don't always do it for me I'm afraid. Once they get past trilogies I really do lose interest. Occasionally, they do remain entertaining, however, that doesn't mean they are all as good as the movie that spawned them.

Star Trek was another exception, but, that was always down to the cast and their ability to make the best of whatever came their way.

Hollywood is stuck in a dangerous rut, relying too heavily on multiples of the same old same old.

We need another maverick that can stand up to studios

I’m with you on all these points. I remember not liking Cutthroat Island when it first came out. But about a year ago, I decided to give it a shot again, and found that it wasn’t all that bad. After the absurdity of all the ridiculous fantasy elements of the PoTC films, it was much easier to digest, as much of it is silliness without all the “monsters”. I actually really disliked Pirates 2 and 3 because they really spent too much time with Johnny Depp’s character. The first one was good because no ONE character of the three main characters had more screen time. Once they put all the focus on Depp and bigger (but not necessarily better) special effects, it just became a vehicle for nonsense (and they completely screwed up Elizabeth and Wills story). I was reluctant on Pirates 4, but found it wasn’t bad (I think Ian McShane saves that one). And the 5th one felt a lot like the first one to me, so I actually enjoyed that one.

Personally, I think even TV shows get boring after 3 seasons (US seasons of 24 episodes, that is). That’s the one thing I like about BBC shows, or cable, is that the seasons are much shorter. But even after 4-5 seasons of the shorter runs starts to become redundant and boring.

Hollywood today is more irritating than ever now, and not just because of the lack of creativity. Very few movies catch my interest anymore when i used to go to the movies pretty much every week. I have/had over 5000 DVDs. Hollywood started going downhill in the 90s, and now it’s so far down the cesspool of regurgitated remakes and reimaginings most new movies have become unwatchable. They’re so busy ramming their socio-economic PC agenda crap down our throats, or trying to razzle dazzle the low-attention span audience with special effects, they’ve mostly forgotten how to tell a good story. I miss John Huston, William Wyler, Alfred Hitchcock, Preston Sturgis, etc. Those were directors who knew how to tell a story.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

blitzway - NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:Once they get past trilogies I really do lose interest.
Except for Police Academy. All seven of them were just as good as the first one Razz
I wanted to name my son "Tackleberry", but the missus wasn't too keen. I settled on calling the dog "Tackleberry".

They had their moments! Still can't beat the first one though. I know the lectern scene off by heart, one of my all time favourite comedy moments.

CHEERS!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
I’m with you on all these points. I remember not liking Cutthroat Island when it first came out. But about a year ago, I decided to give it a shot again, and found that it wasn’t all that bad. After the absurdity of all the ridiculous fantasy elements of the PoTC films, it was much easier to digest, as much of it is silliness without all the “monsters”. I actually really disliked Pirates 2 and 3 because they really spent too much time with Johnny Depp’s character. The first one was good because no ONE character of the three main characters had more screen time. Once they put all the focus on Depp and bigger (but not necessarily better) special effects, it just became a vehicle for nonsense (and they completely screwed up Elizabeth and Wills story). I was reluctant on Pirates 4, but found it wasn’t bad (I think Ian McShane saves that one). And the 5th one felt a lot like the first one to me, so I actually enjoyed that one.

Personally, I think even TV shows get boring after 3 seasons (US seasons of 24 episodes, that is). That’s the one thing I like about BBC shows, or cable, is that the seasons are much shorter. But even after 4-5 seasons of the shorter runs starts to become redundant and boring.

Hollywood today is more irritating than ever now, and not just because of the lack of creativity. Very few movies catch my interest anymore when i used to go to the movies pretty much every week. I have/had over 5000 DVDs. Hollywood started going downhill in the 90s, and now it’s so far down the cesspool of regurgitated remakes and reimaginings most new movies have become unwatchable. They’re so busy ramming their socio-economic PC agenda crap down our throats, or trying to razzle dazzle the low-attention span audience with special effects, they’ve mostly forgotten how to tell a good story. I miss John Huston, William Wyler, Alfred Hitchcock, Preston Sturgis, etc. Those were directors who knew how to tell a story.

You're right there,

What does annoy me is that some gems get picked up by Netflix so terrestrial channels don't get a look in till well after the show has gone beyond a season length that interests me or they get cancelled. A lot of shows that do hit terrestrial get dropped before new seasons come out, which happened to Lost and then The Walking Dead.

I'm currently watching The Invaders, one of the best 60's shows on US TV ever. They don't make them like that anymore!

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

The dawn of the Digital Age seems to coincide with the decline of quality content coming out of Hollywood...  

I never expect much from sequels - which is not to sound cynical, but the fact being that they are generally repetitive in nature.  

Even if the original film were well done; sequels will be, necessarily, inherently, comparatively, considerably less original - and likely tainted by itchy-palmed executives apt to regard foremost those elements determined to have made the original film successful - with a subsequent directive to double-down on such (rendering sequels unlikely to be anything other than redundant).

But not everyone seems to mind the repetition, perhaps especially where and when it were so fondly found the first time around...  However, I’d say that inspiration is permanently altered by reaction - and typically so beyond any fair recognition of the original work; it may be difficult for some to admit that what remains is often mere incontrovertible nostalgia…

Worse yet than certain-to-disappoint sequels, in my opinion, are prequels.  With perhaps a few exceptions, these disjointed productions tend to be so incoherently cobbled that they may have had a snowball’s chance at worth if presented as entirely separate from their fosters, rather than attached by some tenuous or anomalous plot element prone to fail under even the most cursory of logic.  In general, prequels seem to be no more than shameful attempts to transform the successful singular into a franchise.

I don’t believe that any of the films mentioned in this thread were independent productions, which is to say that the mega-studios of Hollywood have a relatively new form of competition in the current era.  

Cinema has been suddenly challenged by amateurs with phone cams and “found footage” fodder for the masses, available at practically no cost.  This means that the big-budget productions may be scrambling and squandering expenses simply to distinguish themselves; quality seems to have been lately downgraded to a tertiary consideration, substantial only after the prospects of profit and popularity, if at all.  

Nevertheless, on an optimistic note, it is always only culturally environmental, and will therefore inevitably progress into whatever will be next in the cycle.  I suspect that Hollywood will eventually find a foothold in this shifting landscape, from which they may recover.  

In the interim, I will endeavor to understand that their position is likely one of desperation among chaos, and try not to judge any of the individual talents thereof that may have all but gone into survival mode.  

But the course will most naturally adjust, and all these matters ought to improve with time…  

PS:  Jack Sparrow still seems unnecessarily, and inexplicably, prissy…  

PPS: On an entirely irrelevant note…   Wink

Does anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
PureEnergy wrote:anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

It would more than likely work if the color match was good. I've found most female heads fit (some with more modification of the inner neck connector than others, but that's nothing that a Dremel or blu-tac can't take care of.

blitzway - NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams - Page 2 C8485110

PureEnergy

Stryker2011 wrote:
PureEnergy wrote:anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

It would more than likely work if the color match was good. I've found most female heads fit (some with more modification of the inner neck connector than others, but that's nothing that a Dremel or blu-tac can't take care of.

That’s a mighty big “if” there, sir…  

I recently dropped a Grant on a beautiful Jessica Alba which required rather heavy Dremel modification - but it’s the skin tone that continues to be ultimately problematic.  She’s one of several decent Sculpts that I can’t use due to the offset coloration…    

I appreciate the response, though, Stryker.  Thank you!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, unfortunately, the skin tone match is the biggest problem with the seamless bodies. Jiaou Doll has tried a little more than TBLeague has, with more color choices in their bodies, but it’s still a crap shoot. I have at least ten female heads that I haven’t found a suitable (to me) match for a body as far as color goes. Then there’s propper body proportions (bust, curves, height, musculature).

PureEnergy

Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, the skin tone match is the biggest problem with the seamless bodies. Jiaou Doll has tried a little more than TBLeague has, with more color choices in their bodies, but it’s still a crap shoot. I have at least ten female heads that I haven’t found a suitable (to me) match for a body as far as color goes. Then there’s proper body proportions (bust, curves, height, musculature).

Ugh...

Please don’t get me started on that particular gaping hole in the market…  I’m so tired of “shooting” at “crap” with regard to matching Head Sculpts.  If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times - probably just in the past month: TBLeague is sitting on the solution…

I recently tried a Jiaou Doll and there are pros and cons, comparatively; I’d still prefer to see Phicen / TBLeague Head Sculpts produced for their own bodies - guaranteed to fit in terms of skin tones and equally in proportion...  

It’s simplicity, it’s sensibility, it’s appropriateness…  However, when we face the facts; someone, somewhere, would simply prefer that you continue buying more and more Head Sculpts for which you may never have any use…  

Cui bono?

Anyway, I dare say that Geena’s worth the gamble, LOL - so I suppose that I’ll just stay stuck on stupid…

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
PureEnergy wrote:The dawn of the Digital Age seems to coincide with the decline of quality content coming out of Hollywood...  

I never expect much from sequels - which is not to sound cynical, but the fact being that they are generally repetitive in nature.  

Even if the original film were well done; sequels will be, necessarily, inherently, comparatively, considerably less original - and likely tainted by itchy-palmed executives apt to regard foremost those elements determined to have made the original film successful - with a subsequent directive to double-down on such (rendering sequels unlikely to be anything other than redundant).

But not everyone seems to mind the repetition, perhaps especially where and when it were so fondly found the first time around...  However, I’d say that inspiration is permanently altered by reaction - and typically so beyond any fair recognition of the original work; it may be difficult for some to admit that what remains is often mere incontrovertible nostalgia…

Worse yet than certain-to-disappoint sequels, in my opinion, are prequels.  With perhaps a few exceptions, these disjointed productions tend to be so incoherently cobbled that they may have had a snowball’s chance at worth if presented as entirely separate from their fosters, rather than attached by some tenuous or anomalous plot element prone to fail under even the most cursory of logic.  In general, prequels seem to be no more than shameful attempts to transform the successful singular into a franchise.

I don’t believe that any of the films mentioned in this thread were independent productions, which is to say that the mega-studios of Hollywood have a relatively new form of competition in the current era.  

Cinema has been suddenly challenged by amateurs with phone cams and “found footage” fodder for the masses, available at practically no cost.  This means that the big-budget productions may be scrambling and squandering expenses simply to distinguish themselves; quality seems to have been lately downgraded to a tertiary consideration, substantial only after the prospects of profit and popularity, if at all.  

Nevertheless, on an optimistic note, it is always only culturally environmental, and will therefore inevitably progress into whatever will be next in the cycle.  I suspect that Hollywood will eventually find a foothold in this shifting landscape, from which they may recover.  

In the interim, I will endeavor to understand that their position is likely one of desperation among chaos, and try not to judge any of the individual talents thereof that may have all but gone into survival mode.  

But the course will most naturally adjust, and all these matters ought to improve with time…  

PS:  Jack Sparrow still seems unnecessarily, and inexplicably, prissy…  

PPS: On an entirely irrelevant note…   Wink

Does anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

Prequels, ouch,

Ridley Scott acts like he gave birth to the Alien franchise and it's his to do with as he pleases. Wrong, it was the brainchild of Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shusett, he was merely hired as a director. His bungling around with prequels that have nothing to do with Alien is killing that franchise. We are still no nearer to knowing who or what set off that beacon that led the Nostromo to LV-426 or what they were doing here.

Neill Blomkamp's project showed promise, but, it will never get made thanks to Mr Scott.

Anyway, I suspect Geena won't be too hard to come by as I don't think many of the units that come out will get sold.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
PureEnergy wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:I suffer from chronic depression so I only need movies to take me away from my perceived reality (obviously distorted due to depression, lack of endorphins) and inspire me to build figures which is why I am a sci-fi and fantasy fan mostly but love historical stuff too, mostly ancient and classic.

Well, I’d not have guessed that, Chop; you’ve a bright light, and your humor always seems refreshingly genuine.  I trust that you are adequately coping and can typically enjoy yourself as much as we enjoy you, sincerely.

Appreciation for escapism is certainly not limited to those with your condition, and I suspect that we all need it, to one degree or another.  While a chemical imbalance such as that which you’ve described is an altogether different animal than anyone’s ordinary episode of sadness or self-doubt; being human, it takes but a fair measure of empathy in order to understand, and I truly admire your fortitude.  

The moment is a naturally fleeting thing; all too often, it passes without reflection for most - but not quite so for you, I’d imagine.  I do not at all dismiss your struggles, however, I must also see you as perhaps exceptionally gifted - in that you are that much less likely to take a single smile for granted...  

Smile

Very sympathetic and wise words there PE thank you!!! It's hit or miss with the just coping or enjoying on a day to day basis... Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum