OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Skippy

blackpool wrote:As for some strong criticism, the very ugly part of both these figures are the molded boots, max has some laced brown shoes, nothing to do with his biker boots in the movie, and furiosa has some tactical grey boots, just as ugly and totally inacurate, plus they are very limitating for the posing.

Without going and looking I think they got Max's boots right. He wore the lace-up ones after his iconic biker boots were taken.

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 92b02473c465ce19d8cecd92f3a22310

The black lines on Furiosa's boots aren't laces, but a heavy handed approximation of the creases in the leather. VTS' design is pretty close, but the real boots themselves look a bit different in photos. For example, the placement of the flap that goes over the toe:

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Caaa03109f537703e3e8b34fffe090fc

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa-Boot-Side-Fight-2

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 922b9a3c0317b7631118ff11f8477524

blackpool

You're right on the "heavy approximation", seeing your reference pictures I think what gives me this feeling is both the deep leather creases that look more like laces than stitched leather, and the side straps that are missing on the VTS rendition...

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 6469795352151491365

As for Max's boots, I was thinking about "his" original boots yes, the iconic ones (btw in the movie he looses one only during the storm chase, and replaces it with one from the remaining warboy, in the end we don't know where he got his tactical laced boots which he wears on the second half of the movie lol)

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Mad%2BMax%2BFury%2BRoad%2Bleg%2Bbrace

Skippy

Looking again at Furiosa's boots, it looks like three different pairs.

The first one has the toe strap but no side strap.

The second has the side strap, but no toestrap.

The third has both.

confused

blackpool

Asta wrote:Looking again at Furiosa's boots, it looks like three different pairs.

The first one has the toe strap but no side strap.

The second has the side strap, but no toestrap.

The third has both.

confused

I was confused too looking at them lol, indeed you're right I think they are three different pairs, the stitches on the toe area are different too... surprising!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It wouldn't be the first time a film used multiple props that weren't quite identical and didn't ensure complete continuity.

dadrab

dadrab
I kind of get a kick out of the "pack mentality" that seems to run rampant on forums and Spacebook and the like. People really feel like the "shield of anonymity" applies to them. Indeed, it does not. 'Nuff said.

What it really boils down to is, if you wouldn't make the comment to someone's face, why would you do so on-line? I actually had someone who lives just down the street from me put up a post through a neighborhood Spacebook page calling me out on a financial decision a group I was in made for our neighborhood. He talked some pretty serious trash and mentioned a bonfire in my front yard. I walked down to his house and, when his wife finally got him to the door (chickensh!t), politely reminded him that he probably ought not to talk garbage he's not prepared to dispose of...so to speak.

Then, he gets on-line and tried to walk it back. Truth be known, I didn't really care then and still don't. We did the right thing.

But the point is, and this really scares me, that we've bred a generation of on-line lions that are real-life candy asses.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
dadrab wrote:I kind of get a kick out of the "pack mentality" that seems to run rampant on forums and Spacebook and the like. People really feel like the "shield of anonymity" applies to them. Indeed, it does not. 'Nuff said.

What it really boils down to is, if you wouldn't make the comment to someone's face, why would you do so on-line? I actually had someone who lives just down the street from me put up a post through a neighborhood Spacebook page calling me out on a financial decision a group I was in made for our neighborhood. He talked some pretty serious trash and mentioned a bonfire in my front yard. I walked down to his house and, when his wife finally got him to the door (chickensh!t), politely reminded him that he probably ought not to talk garbage he's not prepared to dispose of...so to speak.

Then, he gets on-line and tried to walk it back. Truth be known, I didn't really care then and still don't. We did the right thing.

But the point is, and this really scares me, that we've bred a generation of on-line lions that are real-life candy asses.

--

BELIEVE IT OR NOT . . .

I've been told throughout the years that when people online actually meet me in person they're completely surprised at how cordial and polite I am, but the fact and truth is I'll still convey my perspectives and views in person as I do online so for me there is not much to hide.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I just want mine to come in!!!!  Give me my toys!  tongue

Being that the boots were that inconsistent in the movie, I'm really not going to gripe on the figures.  I think both Furiosa's and Max's look close enough that it won't bother me.  I'm not a big fan of molded boots in general, so of course I'd have preferred a nicer fabric boot on both figures.  But like Striker pointed out early in this thread, it's an unlicenced figure for around $100 less than a HT one would be.  For that, I won't sweat molded boots and a few slightly off details.  I'll see how I feel about the height when mine finally comes in.

My big question, for you guys who got yours, is how is that seamless arm?  Phicen has pretty much spoiled us with steel skeletons, so I was curious about this one.  Does it move well?  What's the outer material like in comparison?  Are you worried at all about the armature breaking inside?

And Dadrab, I 100% agree with you on about the balls people seem to grow from the anonymity of the internet.  It's not just the anonymity, although that plays a BIG part, but  something about the lack of all of the stimuli you get from actual conversation, subconscious visual and vocal cues, that lets your brain forget you're dealing with an actual other human being.  It allows people to be less empathetic and quicker to anger.  There's concern that, as we spend more time communicating like this, it effect's young people's learning and development of basic empathy skills, such as maintaining eye contact or noticing subtle nonverbal cues during a conversation.  I wish it were just generational, but it seems to effect people of all age groups.  Studies show that empathy is learned, but can be un-learned as well, and we're sensitive to these effects of technology regardless of age.  Concepts like compassion fatigue, and desensitization from the constant bombardment of extreme emotional stimuli can have an effect on anyone.

So this is a public service announcement.  Be kind people.  Remember to be kind.

Skippy

ReverendSpooky wrote:My big question, for you guys who got yours, is how is that seamless arm?  Phicen has pretty much spoiled us with steel skeletons, so I was curious about this one.  Does it move well?  What's the outer material like in comparison?  Are you worried at all about the armature breaking inside?

Being possessed of a morbid fear of damaging seamless limbs, I haven't even dared to bend the arms.

It's that tricky situation of aesthetics over function. I have her standing with her arms straight holding the Webley & Scott signal pistol, because that brings back memories of having the old Action Man version.

ReverendSpooky wrote:So this is a public service announcement.  Be kind people.  Remember to be kind.

I like this forum. It's pleasant, civilised, and has a respectful community.

Because it's small at the moment, and not so big that it draws idiots trying to score points off each other! I like Sideshow Freaks for its size, though not the negativity it attracts. It can become infectious if you're not careful.

That's why I have Asta as my avatar. When I see Asta's image it reminds me to always be a good dog. And think positive thoughts! Laughing

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
An oldie, but goodie, DFC.

I do think we have to be civil and, what is more, try to avoid hyper-criticism and negativity -- there is no point alienating anyone, and people may well be attached to what they have worked hard creating or spent much of their hard-earned money buying. That said, constructive criticism, put in a considerate fashion, has its place.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I didn't say anything too harsh... I don't think. It just requires a lot more work than I'm capable/willing to put in to make it more screen accurate; hence a pass for me. All the body swaps I've seen just look ridiculous, since she has a near-child-size head to go with the small body. If all it took was a simple body swap, I probably still would have gotten it. But even a body swap requires a bit of futzing, weathering, etc. And we've all seen how difficult it is to match one companies heads to another's bodies. That kind of extra time and money, just to be able to put her next to Max and look reasonable, is just not in my parameters. I think it was the overly long wait for this to finally come out that makes the sting hurt that much more for a lot of folks, hence the outrage. I agree, the mechanical arm, her pants and top, all look pretty good, but the rest...

He who dies with the most toys wins!

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
My comment wasn't specifically aimed at you, Stryker. Just chiming in when someone remembered to bring up the question of civility and nicety.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
The lesson learned from this debacle?

SIZE MATTERS

Skippy

It was a valid point, Stryker. Essentially VTS' Furiosa isn't fit for purpose.

Ironically though, I consider her to be one of their best figures.

So I re-purposed her as non-Furiosa or teen Furiosa.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Asta wrote:So I re-purposed her as non-Furiosa or teen Furiosa.

--

YOU KNOW . . .

I see the humor in that statement, but at the same time it's quite appropriate and logical.

MAX MAX: Furiosa . . . The Early Years

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:It was a valid point, Stryker. Essentially VTS' Furiosa isn't fit for purpose.

Ironically though, I consider her to be one of their best figures.

So I re-purposed her as non-Furiosa or teen Furiosa.

That's a pretty good idea, really. Place her alone or with other post-apocalyptic figures, not related to Max, and it would probably look pretty cool.

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 C8485110

Skippy

DeltaForceChung wrote:
--

YOU KNOW . . .

I see the humor in that statement, but at the same time it's quite appropriate and logical.

MAX MAX: Furiosa . . . The Early Years

A quick Google turned up a few cartoons depicting that very idea:

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 629596550b12ca057da0d5dccb51c9e8--fury-road-mad-max

Stryker2011 wrote:That's a pretty good idea, really. Place her alone or with other post-apocalyptic figures, not related to Max, and it would probably look pretty cool.

She does. I gave her stand to the Art Figures Max, put her on an anonymous black stand and have her with a group of survivors.

For a little while I had her on her own, away from any other figures and she could fool you she was a 1/6 Furiosa. But I prefer to have figures grouped together.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Yeah, I hope my comments didn't come across in any way as critical of the climate here, or even of anything said in this discussion. I just thought Dadrab's story was pretty dead on in terms of the pitfalls of social media, and how they can effect online discussion groups (Sorry if my explanation of the breakdown of online etiquette was a bit off topic). Not to be too self-congratulatory, but I really do think this group is a pretty stellar example of what a community like this SHOULD be. I'm with you GubernatorFan, and am all for constructive criticism. Hell, if something has it's issues, I'm grateful to be warned of it before putting down my money. And my acceptance of the flaws of this figure in no way discounts what is a deal breaker for a lot of people here. Like Asta, I just think I can always use a reminder to be a good dog. Smile

Also, I'd watch hell out of a Furiosa origin story. Maybe VTS is just WAY ahead on this. Its actually a flawless figure for the yet-to-be-made prequel.

Fox915

Fox915
I heard you guys were discussing about this earlier, so I thought you might be interested. This fellow managed to do a (Phicen) body swap for Furiosa. I think the results look really good, the head to body scale seems quite resonable, and the weathering work looks top notch.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for posing this, Fox! It does show that this set is rescue-able. A little bit beyond my comfort level at present, so I am not going to beat myself up for passing on it, but I am happy to see someone did do it justice.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is nice. But again, you have to spend more money and time to make the figure look even semi-reasonable. So what started as a $170 bootleg figure turns into a near $300 “acceptable” figure...

blackpool

blackpool
ReverendSpooky wrote:
My big question, for you guys who got yours, is how is that seamless arm?  Phicen has pretty much spoiled us with steel skeletons, so I was curious about this one.  Does it move well?  What's the outer material like in comparison?  Are you worried at all about the armature breaking inside?

In case you didn't get yours yet the seamless arms on furiosa are very similar to what Hot toys produced on ada wong and pepper potts. Not sure they have a steel skeleton, but the rubber is strong, it keeps a nice elbow shape once bent, and the shoulder joint is surprisingly good.
I forgot the elbow bent during one night after shooting her, and it didn't leave any marks. The only limitation is the upper arm rotation, as the rubber is much stronger than phicen's silicon

The "cut" seamless arm works the same, the elbow joint is inside the arm before the mecha part starts, and there is a magnet inside the rubber to match the one inside the mecha arm cup part.

Here are my very first edits of her and my "alternative" max, basically the art figures "mad racer" with the headsculpt from el1ev1en

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Furyroad_01

film - VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Furyroad_02

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
You made her look good.

CHEERS!

Skippy

Fox915 wrote:This fellow managed to do a (Phicen) body swap for Furiosa. I think the results look really good, the head to body scale seems quite resonable, and the weathering work looks top notch.

But after all that work he still had to put her on a riser.

And she's still too short.

As Stryker wrote,

So what started as a $170 bootleg figure turns into a near $300 “acceptable” figure...

I'm happy keeping her as she was intended as I like the stock proportions.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Blackpool -- that is some beautiful photography as usual.

Asta -- that's exactly what I was thinking about the great mod on youtube: after all this cool work, it still needed the "booster seat." Though it does look very good by itself (certainly more so than before).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum