OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 39]

Theboo-bomb

Looks good and heavy duty, I really want to see how the entire thing looks like once you've worked your magic on it. The heavy duty wheels are in my opinion the best option, sure they might be for heavier loads but in my experience those smaller ones are generally too weak.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:You might not be able to make it look 100% like metal, but there are many techniques out there for making wood look more metallic. A quick search turned up several tutorials, and it sounds like it could be fun. Not that you need more work to do, but just putting that out there in case it's helpful. Smile

I actually don’t want it to look like metal, to be honest; I’m a traditionalist, and even though I’m not going to stain it, I’ll just go with a dark paint. I generally don’t like the “industrial” look.

Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks good and heavy duty, I really want to see how the entire thing looks like once you've worked your magic on it. The heavy duty wheels are in my opinion the best option, sure they might be for heavier loads but in my experience those smaller ones are generally too weak.

Yeah, the wheels are probably a bit of over-kill, but that damn thing is already super heavy, so those wheels are going to be a bonus, that’s for sure.

skywalkersaga

Stryker2011 wrote:

I actually don’t want it to look like metal, to be honest; I’m a traditionalist, and even though I’m not going to stain it, I’ll just go with a dark paint. I generally don’t like the “industrial” look.

That sounds great too! I had just misunderstood when you said you hoped it didn't look like wood. : )

Stryker2011

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

That sounds great too! I had just misunderstood when you said you hoped it didn't look like wood. : )

No worries. I guess I wasn’t very clear.

blackpool

blackpool
That will look perfect with the bottom skirting! Have any idea of the general color you want for the cabinet? (just asking out of curiosity as many ideas come to my mind but none that is very striking)

And you can tell us the truth about that bottom shelf... it's a coming rancor pit!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:That will look perfect with the bottom skirting! Have any idea of the general color you want for the cabinet? (just asking out of curiosity as many ideas come to my mind but none that is very striking)

And you can tell us the truth about that bottom shelf... it's a coming rancor pit!

I was originally thinking of black, but I’m leaning toward a dark chocolate brown — most of my cabinets are one shade of brown or another, so I think that would make sense.

A Rancor would be cool — but sadly it’s out of my price range. I’m thinking of getting a Hasbro just as a bit of a joke.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wait, I'm confused, is there a sixth-scale Rancor that's not a statue? Or is it a statue? Habsro's (relatively) recent Rancor (I forget which version specifically) is a thing of beauty, both larger and more realistic than the original Kenner toy, which was itself impressive for its time. It is, however, meant for the classic-sized (3.75 in) figures. Perhaps you could create a "forced perspective" scene with that Rancor and a few classic-sized figures? Blackpool, will you do the background? Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Y'all made me do it! Release the Kra... Rancor, I mean... (Ovy, if you're listening, I've already thought of Krankor!)

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 Heman110

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 Heman111

I think this Rancor's size is such that it could work with sixth-scale figures (as some other or smaller sort of monster, like Reverend Spooky's alien). So a forced perspective with 3.75 in figures (or even 6 in figures!) might be more plausible than I thought.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ohh, I wasn’t really thinking of forced perspective as much as just having him dangling from his wrist chains — as a gag. The lower shelf is going to be used as storage for all the extra accessories for Jabba and the rest of the cast.

ZombieTestSubject

Looks like your super cool diorama will be getting around! I'm very impressed with your dedication to perfecting this already awesome display.

PS I love the Rancor, worthwhile if you can find it for a decent price.

BAMComix

BAMComix
It has taken me quite a while to make my way through this thread, I am so pleased I did! spectacular work and attention to detail! Simply fantastic work!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ZombieTestSubject wrote:Looks like your super cool diorama will be getting around! I'm very impressed with your dedication to perfecting this already awesome display.

PS I love the Rancor, worthwhile if you can find it for a decent price.

BAMComix wrote:It has taken me quite a while to make my way through this thread, I am so pleased I did! spectacular work and attention to detail! Simply fantastic work!

Thanks! I’m still missing some key elements to the environment, but since I do t have a 3D printer I’m at the mercy of others (not that I’m complaining) — and since the Kung Flu a lot of things have slowed down. Appreciate the nice comments.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It's been a long time since I've been able to add a new figure to the dio, and since I posted any pics -- so I finally decided to take some photos of Lando/Skiff Guard (which I actually received a few weeks ago.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3343
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3342
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3344

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
He looks great!! cheers

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Awesome addition!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He makes an excellent addition to your diorama. This was, of course, a given, but I'm thrilled to see just how perfectly he works in it. I couldn't resist picking up a bunch of the parted-out pieces; I even like the unmasked head, although I'm holding off on that since I have pre-ordered HT's Lando. But when I put the skiff guard stuff together on another body, I hope it looks as good as your Skiff Lando. Of course, I wouldn't have this fantastic environment to integrate him into. Anyway, your awesome diorama just got awesomer. Smile

Ovy

Ovy
This deal is getting better all the time!

Great to see him, the incarnation of a perfectly thought out rescue plan. Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, folks. Appreciate all the kind words. He really is a great looking figure in hand. Sad that it’s probably the last Star Wars related character in @ y scale we’re likely to get from Sideshow — if they had stuck to characters like this, or the aliens that HT just won’t touch, they could have printed money. Crying or Very sad

Valiarde

Valiarde
Congrats for that nice addition. Your dio is just a state of art Very Happy

Very nice

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Congrats for that nice addition. Your dio is just a state of art Very Happy

Very nice

Thank you. That’s a generous compliment.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Any ideas (or facts) as to why Sideshow scaled back so significantly on Star Wars?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Any ideas (or facts) as to why Sideshow scaled back so significantly on Star Wars?

Nothing but rumors and speculation. Basically boiling down to the increase in not only HT’s popularity getting more recognition, to them taking advantage of the license in a much more fruitful way, to Sideshow possibly losing the 1/6 scale license altogether — again to HT.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Nothing but rumors and speculation. Basically boiling down to the increase in not only HT’s popularity getting more recognition, to them taking advantage of the license in a much more fruitful way, to Sideshow possibly losing the 1/6 scale license altogether — again to HT.

Thank you. I was thinking much the same thing. They could have done much better with more aliens, I agree. But also, they were getting pretty good at uniformed troopers (like their Scout Troopers and AT-ST drivers and TIE-Fighter Pilots), and could have done a bunch more of those before HT (there are still a few left... I'm not doing customs for nothing...).

Illusion

Illusion
I have browsed through this thread in fast forward... guess if I hadn't I would have lost my mind completely... what a commitment, I wouldn't even try to start to explain my level of awe at this...

Furthermore I would not have dreamt how many Star Wars figures exist in 1/6 scale. Amazing. Down to some rather insignificant character (not for the design, for sure - just for the storyline)...

Your Lando also is a very fine addition. Is he custom or off the shelf?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Illusion wrote:I have browsed through this thread in fast forward... guess if I hadn't I would have lost my mind completely... what a commitment, I wouldn't even try to start to explain my level of awe at this...

Furthermore I would not have dreamt how many Star Wars figures exist in 1/6 scale. Amazing. Down to some rather insignificant character (not for the design, for sure - just for the storyline)...

Your Lando also is a very fine addition. Is he custom or off the shelf?

Thanks. Yes, it's been quite the project -- to say the least. (Unfortunately, it's too damn cold over the past couple of months to continue to do any building on the cabinet.) Lando is actually the recently released box set from Sideshow Collecibles (and from the looks of it the LAST 1/6 scale Star Wars figure they released -- although they do have a "1/6 scale" (but closer to 1/7-1/8 scale) Rancor statue, more or less, being released soon.

Here's a couple more pics I decided to take today, once I finally decided to add my Sideshow Mythos Boba Fett to the mix (oddly, he's the only Fett I own). And I put the old Sideshow Tusken Raider in there, as well. The photos all have a tendency to come out much brighter than the entire diorama looks to the naked eye, unfortunately, so they never look the way it does in real life.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3347
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3345
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3346
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 34 _dsc3348

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gorgeous scene, never can get enough of it. Is there an actual Luke in there under that cloak? Smile And isn't it weird that they didn't put any Tusken raiders in Jabba's palace, after emptying most of the cantina and the bounty hunter corps to fill it up? Maybe there is bad blood between the Tuskens and the Hutts... but anyway, I also think he looks good in here.

Chip

I think your Diorama is quite Magical Mark , and I have to ask as well , is Luke really under that cape ?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, fellas.

As to the question: Yes, there really is a Luke under there. It is the Sideshow Return of the Jedi box set. I don’t have thenHT version, but neither of them from a head sculpt perspective imho look all that great, so I opted for the moment when he first arrives in the throne room. Maybe I should actually pull the hood down to make that clear that it’s Luke...

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great looking Lando and indeed nice addition to your amazing diorama!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum