OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mini review - SideShow Jawas

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Yeah, it certainly is, and it's a pity.

I cashed in as much as I could when they were cheaper, got the full set of Endor Rebel troopers, plus a spare for bashing. The most I paid for an SSC was £75 for Indy, but, there was no way I wasn't going to have him!

These days, I live vicariously through the figures of others, which is why I'm glad this forum is here.

CHEERS!

27StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:32 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I may not be getting these guys after all. Sad Seems my order never went thru for some reason on Sideshow’s site trying to use PayPal, and now I no longer have that $50 coupon code. I emailed them to find out what happened, so I’ll see what they have to say... their web-site is seriously screwy.

28StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 am

scalawag

Stryker2011 wrote:I may not be getting these guys after all. Sad  Seems my order never went thru for some reason on Sideshow’s site trying to use PayPal, and now I no longer have that $50 coupon code. I emailed them to find out what happened, so I’ll see what they have to say... their web-site is seriously screwy.

I don't buy directly from them, which is mainly because of living in the UK and not wanting to risk Import duties Laughing But I have heard that their payment system can be hit and miss.

Its a shame if you have missed out on them mate.

29StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker, the $50 coupon does sound like a decent incentive, despite the price. I hope they honor your original deal. In my experience, if provided with a clear explanation of the situation, they have been very reasonable.

Roger and Paul, you were lucky to catch on early and get the more reasonably priced Sideshow items. Except for the stormtroopers, I didn't, and have only gotten more recent releases, some of them on the secondary market.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

30StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 am

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
Roger and Paul, you were lucky to catch on early and get the more reasonably priced Sideshow items. Except for the stormtroopers, I didn't, and have only gotten more recent releases, some of them on the secondary market.

Yeah I know what you mean mate.  I managed to get there "Militaries of Star Wars" series Imperial Stormtrooper and a couple of the Sand Trooper variants (Sand Troopers are my favourite of all the Storm Troopers Very Happy )  from the same series too, but prices on them now when you can find them are prohibitively high usually.

I would like more Sand Troopers, but it is hard to justify when I have these already.

31StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Paul! Yep, I did eventually get a Praji and a Piett, and a couple of rebel soldiers for my stormtroopers to slay or (more realistically) arrest. But overall I missed out on the earlier stuff and whenever I made inroads into it, I often paid higher prices (though some still lower than what it would be now).

If there is one type of figure I do not have a problem justifying getting multiples of, it is stormtroopers, though my nitpicking is not completely satisfied by any version before the Hot Toys Rogue One ones. And I do prefer them on the cleaner side, so I have forgone the sandtroopers and focused on the regular kind (curious fact: the minor differences between sandtroopers and stormtroopers might be a type of wardrobe oversight, with the finalized stormtrooper outfit not yet available when they shot the sandtrooper scenes). Now I have more than I care to admit, although most of them were kitbashed or reconstituted to one degree or another -- and a large proportion of those are the Bandai 1/6 articulated stormtrooper models with the Hasbro 1/6 stormtrooper helmet. Now that was a good deal, about $60+$12 per unit. If Bandai makes a 1/6 sandtrooper, you might be able to go the same way.

32StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks, Paul! Yep, I did eventually get a Praji and a Piett, and a couple of rebel soldiers for my stormtroopers to slay or (more realistically) arrest. But overall I missed out on the earlier stuff and whenever I made inroads into it, I often paid higher prices (though some still lower than what it would be now).

If there is one type of figure I do not have a problem justifying getting multiples of, it is stormtroopers, though my nitpicking is not completely satisfied by any version before the Hot Toys Rogue One ones. And I do prefer them on the cleaner side, so I have forgone the sandtroopers and focused on the regular kind (curious fact: the minor differences between sandtroopers and stormtroopers might be a type of wardrobe oversight, with the finalized stormtrooper outfit not yet available when they shot the sandtrooper scenes). Now I have more than I care to admit, although most of them were kitbashed or reconstituted to one degree or another -- and a large proportion of those are the Bandai 1/6 articulated stormtrooper models with the Hasbro 1/6 stormtrooper helmet. Now that was a good deal, about $60+$12 per unit. If Bandai makes a 1/6 sandtrooper, you might be able to go the same way.

It would be nice if Bandai did do a Sand trooper. I have one of the stormtroopers they do, and I like it a lot.  I have done the addition of foam discs to the shoulders to fill out that area, but other than that he is pretty much stock, and stands up well to the SideShow offering I also have.

I have heard several stories about the differences in the stormtrooper and Sand Trooper costumes over the years.

The one that makes most sense is that the Sand Trooper uniforms were the first ones finished.  It was a bit of a rush job to get them ready for shipping to be filmed in Tunisia, and a number of details were still really yet to be finalised but they had to be ready to go.  
While those costumes were being used in Tunisia the Costume dept in the UK at Elstree continued to receive components for the uniforms from Shepperton Design Studios who made all the white plastic parts and continued to refine the costume whilst the films crew were filming in Tunisia.  And so when the crew returned and filming began at Elstree the uniforms had "evolved' from those thrown together for the shoot in Tunisia.

This is the view that is taken in the recently released book "Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armour" by Ryder Windham and Adam Bray.  Its an excellent book and a great reference material for most things Stormtrooper.  It not only covers the films but also toys, cosplayers and the influence the Stormtrooper has had on popular culture.  A must for any stormtrooper fan like me Laughing Laughing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Stormtroopers-Beyond-Journey/dp/0062681176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524235436&sr=8-1&keywords=stormtroopers+beyond+the+armor

33StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:I have heard several stories about the differences in the stormtrooper and Sand Trooper costumes over the years.

The one that makes most sense is that the Sand Trooper uniforms were the first ones finished.  It was a bit of a rush job to get them ready for shipping to be filmed in Tunisia, and a number of details were still really yet to be finalised but they had to be ready to go.  
While those costumes were being used in Tunisia the Costume dept in the UK at Elstree continued to receive components for the uniforms from Shepperton Design Studios who made all the white plastic parts and continued to refine the costume whilst the films crew were filming in Tunisia.  And so when the crew returned and filming began at Elstree the uniforms had "evolved' from those thrown together for the shoot in Tunisia.

This is the view that is taken in the recently released book "Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armour" by Ryder Windham and Adam Bray.  Its an excellent book and a great reference material for most things Stormtrooper.  It not only covers the films but also toys, cosplayers and the influence the Stormtrooper has had on popular culture.  A must for any stormtrooper fan like me Laughing Laughing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Stormtroopers-Beyond-Journey/dp/0062681176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524235436&sr=8-1&keywords=stormtroopers+beyond+the+armor

That is exactly what I meant, although this particular book is news to me. Thank you for the reference.

34StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 am

scalawag

scalawag
Great book mate, you should have one Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

35StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:10 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Paul, you should get one of these 1:12 scale Dewbacks for your Sandtroopers. Yep, they work:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t47-osf-funnies-continuously-updated#2393 (post 28)

36StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Sideshow got back to me and they made it right. Order replaced with the discount. Yah!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 C8485110

37StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Paul, you should get one of these 1:12 scale Dewbacks for your Sandtroopers. Yep, they work:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t47-osf-funnies-continuously-updated#2393 (post 28)

That is a cool 1/12 dewback mate. I have a Disney rubber foam dewback which i use with my 6" black series sand troopers.

StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 GR6ttN0

38StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Sideshow got back to me and they made it right. Order replaced with the discount. Yah!

That's great news mate, I'm glad they did the right thing. I think they usually do:D

39StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Paul -- cool 1:12 scale scene. Yep, the Hasbro 6" sandtroopers look great; but I can't stand their regular stormtroopers for some reason. I used the Kotobukiya ones instead, and now the Bandai ones (although they could have longer necks or droopier shoulders -- one or the other). But I digress, this is a sixth-scale forum after all.

Stryker -- excellent news, hope you get them soon.

40StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:38 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Just received these little guys today. Scalawag has already said it all. On the upside, the joints on both of mine are pretty good. But, they really can’t stand on their own, and looking at them, I think it has more to do with the sculpting of the boots, and the overall high center of gravity (very top-heavy). Pretty happy with these little guys, and it really helps bring what little bit of Star Wars stuff I have to life. Sideshow’s 3PO came earlier in the week, also, and I guess I lucked out (I’d heard people say some of his fingers were broken when they got theirs; not for me).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 C8485110

41StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Just received these little guys today. Scalawag has already said it all. On the upside, the joints on both of mine are pretty good. But, they really can’t stand on their own, and looking at them, I think it has more to do with the sculpting of the boots, and the overall high center of gravity (very top-heavy). Pretty happy with these little guys, and it really helps bring what little bit of Star Wars stuff I have to life. Sideshow’s 3PO came earlier in the week, also, and I guess I lucked out (I’d heard people say some of his fingers were broken when they got theirs; not for me).

Glad the Jawas arrived and that your C-3PO also arrived undamaged. My 3PO was also in perfect condition when he arrived but I have also heard of broken fingers, and the "pistons" on the arm joints too.

I think you are right about the feet being the cause of the Jawas having difficulty standing without the included bases, on the plus side the bases are fairly easy to hide under the robes for most poses a Jawa is likely to need to take.

Glad this little review was helpful for you in deciding whether to get them or not.

42StarWars - Mini review - SideShow Jawas - Page 2 Empty Re: Mini review - SideShow Jawas Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Happy to hear everything is going well with your new additions, Stryker. And happy that Paul has helped your expand your experience Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum