OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rock'n Roll Greats: The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
This is a (large) project that’s been a long time coming.   It’s a “MOCKUMENTARY” little booklet about the 50 year career of the Evil Band in the music industry and pop culture generally. They're a little like KISS, a little like the Dead, and little bit like Forrest Gump because they've been everywhere and met everybody.  And ok yes, they’re a little bit like Spinal Tap but don’t tell them.

You may infer from the back cover that I started this concept back in 2014 (at Christmas) so it's been a long time coming. My problem is that I still haven't done a couple of fairly complex photoshoots for it (like "the Evil play the Egyptian Pyramids '78" and "the Evil go to Sturgis") and unfortunately because the whole thing is laid out like a booklet, the incomplete gaps will be obvious.

I have decided now however to just put it out there even with a few gaps -- partly because I figure here in OSF, "we're among friends," and hopefully people should be ok with that as a work in progress. Thanks to Reverend Spooky as (I do not presume to compare myself to his excellence but) it was his Radio Kings repost that made me want to finally get this out there even a bit incomplete.

This is somewhat less picture-heavy than it seems, because all the pics are composited into Booklet pages.  It’s going to be 2 or 3 “Chapters” and eventually if people are interested I may finish the darn thing and do a “filler” post.  All comments more than welcome.

#photostory #music #evil

Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41567671781_677c6ac36c_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 39778802660_6a4ccae74d_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 27697620638_cc2a120682_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41567671911_4c3e31a31c_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 27697621148_2b37f6d716_h[/url][
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41567672131_490a95befc_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 27697621528_9864ae38c8_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41567672371_f236df6631_h[/url]

This next page is a place-keeper because "The Evil play the Pyramids:  Egypt '78" is a centrepiece, with a couple of very specific ideas, but it's been a long time coming and who knows when I'll have time to complete it.  So like a couple of blanks in the pages above, we just go past it for now.

Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41567672531_709df6739a_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41586716421_8b8ff12b33_h[/url]
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 40875281224_0e57894017_h[/url]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is certainly an epic project. Very impressive. And I love the genre (mockumentary). There's something about the look that reminds me of Futurama. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s quite the rock group. Awesome.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 C8485110

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
You know, my only problem is, it makes me a bit sad that the Evil aren't a real band. Because this has already made me a fan. This is pure glorious madness and I love it. It nails the feel of a rock retrospective. Maybe it is just the similarity to the Crawdaddy cover look, but I'd swear there was a really classic album cover with that photo effect and a similar pose. Either Dadrab is going to recognize it immediately, or I'll cop to my delusion. And man, you have made great use of all of the accrued 1/6 pieces over the years. I think those early years photos are my favorites, with the church, the bowling alley, and the McDonalds. And the deadpan wide eyed expression on the (I assume) earlier Doctor Evil figures gets me every time I see them. It's huge, ambitious, utterly gonzo and so fleshed out, and it just makes me want more. Seriously, you should set 2019 as a deadline to finish it, so you can put this out on the 50th anniversary. If you do, put me down for a hardcover copy.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I feel like I just viewed a 1:6 version of THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but way more surreal and relevant 1:6 wise.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Thanks a lot guys.  

DFC, I hope that was a compliment.  Gubernator, Stryker2011, much thanks.  Hope you will indulge me in looking at 2 more Chapters.  RevererendSpooky, much thanks, especially because I'm playing in a corner of your 1/6 music sandbox.  Did you ever find out if Dadrab sees a specific connection in the cover art?  You've got me wondering if maybe I was channeling a specific album cover but unconsciously.  Stay tuned for some seriously demented album cover reinterpretations.

"Surreal" and "gonzo" is exactly what I was going for, but may I promise, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"  This first part was somewhat restrained because I had to set up the basic premise.  You can get some idea of the whole breakdown from the Table of Malcontents.  Part 2 will show something of the band's world tours and also feature some of their classic Album Covers.  Part 3, the final part for now, will give you more of the band's history and also some of their TV appearances and movie cameos.  Here's a teaser:

COMING THIS FRIDAY:

Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 41526606152_6df00f80b0_c

AND TWO WEEKS FROM NOW:
Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 40885043244_66db14f330_c

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's great. Abby Road. The Playboy Mansion. and the Interview of the Month. Dr. Evil rules. Love the little inset pics for the interview. Really well done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Rock'n Roll Greats:  The Evil Looks at 50, Chapter 1 + NOW TEASER FOR CHAPTER 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice new additions. I loved the "bonfire of inanities," and that Playboy cover was a work of art!

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice new additions. I loved the "bonfire of inanities," and that Playboy cover was a work of art!

Thanks, guys.  The album covers were fun to do and that one is probably my favorite: the Beatles joke of course, but also, the detail of Jesus wearing a crucifix.  I will say it was Ephiane who inspired me to risk live flame in a figure photoshoot.   I selected the teasers to suggest how the focus widens in the next two parts.  I think the central concept is funny enough, but it needs a flow of surprises to stay interesting for 30 pages total.  Hopefully I managed that.  This project wasn’t “make one diorama and shoot it from different angles”  -- each picture was pretty much a separate concept, setup, and photoshoot.

Stryker2011 wrote:That's great. Abby Road. The Playboy Mansion. and the Interview of the Month. Dr. Evil rules. Love the little inset pics for the interview. Really well done.

Abbey Road?  Surely you mean the original E/B Road, the Evil/Beatles album.   Twisted Evil And hint: you will see those Playboy bw pictures reappear in a fun way.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
So killer! And there's plenty of room in this 1/6 music sandbox! As far as I'm concerned, if you've got a love for rock and roll (and you so obviously do) you are more than welcome. And I haven't seen Dadrab on in a few days, but man, I think he'll enjoy hell out of this. I'm kinda anxious too to see if he confirms my recognition of that cover, or if my sanity is just starting to slip a bit.

I am loving this project. The Beatles breakup cracked me up. And these's so much great attention to detail. The Playboy cover interview perfectly ape the look of the magazine, especially with the way the interview is formatted, with the 3 B&W photos, and the layout. Hell, I think you even got the font right! Did you actually write up the whole interview?! If so, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Just want to point out that you have the interview listed as 1995, but the cover says October 1971. Unless they're from 2 different issues. Although based on the lettering aesthetic on the cover, I'd think 1995 was the correct date.

The deeper this goes, the more it becomes obvious just how much work has gone into this project. It's wild. If you ever print, you should scale one down and print a 1/6 version of the book as well! And if you ever want a 1/6 Evils record, let me know. We'll make something happen.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
ReverendSpooky wrote:So killer!  And there's plenty of room in this 1/6 music sandbox!  As far as I'm concerned, if you've got a love for rock and roll (and you so obviously do) you are more than welcome.   And I haven't seen Dadrab on in a few days, but man, I think he'll enjoy hell out of this.  I'm kinda anxious too to see if he confirms my recognition of that cover, or if my sanity is just starting to slip a bit.  

I am loving this project.  The Beatles breakup cracked me up.  And these's so much great attention to detail.  The Playboy cover interview perfectly ape the look of the magazine, especially with the way the interview is formatted, with the 3 B&W photos, and the layout.  Hell, I think you even got the font right!  Did you actually write up the whole interview?!  If so, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Just want to point out that you have the interview listed as 1995, but the cover says October 1971.  Unless they're from 2 different issues.  Although based on the lettering aesthetic on the cover, I'd think 1995 was the correct date.

The deeper this goes, the more it becomes obvious just how much work has gone into this project.  It's wild.  If you ever print, you should scale one down and print a 1/6 version of the book as well!  And if you ever want a 1/6 Evils record, let me know.  We'll make something happen.

So much thanks, again. I did try to put a lot into the deep detail level. You will see by the end, there’s even a hidden murder in there at one point.

I am so very genuinely grateful when people point out mistakes, because it shows they’re reading with the kind of attention I only hoped for. For the Playboy part I never finished that page, hence the blank space at the bottom. I used photocomposed actual familiar Playboy elements and in theory I should have fixed or blurred the date on the cover – year 1995 fits the “narrative.” For the interview I cheated a bit on that page, the text is actually Stan Lee’s Playboy interview. There’s already way more text than people are used to reading in a 1/6 project and I didn’t want to add three columns. Later on in the booklet, there actually is some attempt to get into the tone/voice of a Rock’n’Roll interview, but it’s in the section “Remembering Studio Sessions.” We could say that’s taken from the Playboy Interview.

dadrab

dadrab
Dude... That's a huge amount of work (and hopefully, fun) and worth every second of the time spent.

It's a great story and I enjoyed it very much.

Pretty nice looking Strat the Doc plays, too. Smile

Thanks very much.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed Great story and photos loved the Playboy photo.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
MAM:

Yes.

It was indeed and truthfully a compliment.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum