OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 pm

michael crawford

Sorry for the late review, but I spent all my weekend (and I'm not quite done yet) building a carpetball table. It should be ready for carpetball fun by next Saturday! I'm getting back to a Hot Toys release tonight, looking at the deluxe version of the terrific new Obi-Wan Kenobi:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-070819a.htm

or you can find it with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Review_obiwan_4

2Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 am

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
I look forward to mine. He's been resting in his box along with the rest of my collection. Some have been in boxes for a few yeara.

3Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the detailed and beautifully illustrated review, as always. It was great to get a glimpse at the complete (and deluxe) set, as I only picked up some parted out pieces.

4Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the detailed review and the beautiful photos! Some early reports were complaining about the headsculpt, but I think it looks great. At least, it's the best mass-produced RotS Obi-Wan sculpt thus far! Smile

While I understand what you mean about the critique of HT hands, I have to admit I have not really noticed that myself and it doesn't bother me that much. Compared to some of the ginormous Sideshow hands I have used on some of my custom figures, the HT hands seem positively small, lol. I do agree that the belt, and boots for that matter, are a bit on the glossy side, but that can be easily fixed via a quick dry brush of weathering paint, which I was planning to do anyway. 

Currently waiting nervously for mine...still hasn't arrived yet and I'm about to move house! D:

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

5Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks for showing, Michael ! Great Figure and a 100 % likeness for me. There are some pictures in the review with the original light effects the sabre do and some from HT ( at the box for example ) that are faked. Think that´s not fair .... scratch The Hologram is Amazing ! Without in Hand Reviews like the ones You do, the Fans will believe the faked HT Promo Pictures ... by the way i think it´s possible to made with special LED´s the Light brighter if HT will spend the money that for

6Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m in the minority, I guess. Take the head sculpt off and put it on something non Star Wars related, and I doubt most people would recognize who it’s supposed to be. It looks human enough, it just doesn’t look Ewan enough (heh, that rhymes) to me.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review C8485110

7Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:42 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I understand, Stryker -- it's not a 100% perfect likeness, and I'd never argue that it was. But neither is the HT Anakin, and yet I still love it. It comes down to what one is looking for ... perfect [or as close to perfect as one can get] likeness, or willing to 'settle' for a quality figure of beloved characters that is nicely made, and better than any other previous offerings. Coming from collecting SW figures in much smaller scales, I tend not to be a stickler for exact head/facial likeness in my figures [if I were, I'd never own a single SW figure, lol]. 

ETA: I do agree that it's not an exact likeness to Ewan McGregor, but at the same time, even if it weren't on the HT body, I don't think I'd mistake it for anyone else, either. GF used the head loose on one of his comedic kitbashes, and it still was pretty recognizable, even out of context. Just imo! Smile

8Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
O.K. It´s not my genre. I see that movie two times maybe. I´m sure You see it ten times Very Happy So if i see that figure at thinking Oh, man that´s Obi Wan form that movie i´ve seen Years ago, that means not much. I have to google actually Pictures of him from that Movie. That was the only one of the SW Movies i see two times, because of the Duel between the two Jedis and Darth Maul. That was an epic fight Very Happy

9Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 am

Ovy

Ovy
Great review! The light up feature is interesting too, those hologram texture edges are quite clever. Luckily my brother's birthday is already over or I might have gotten him that Obi-Wan.
I wonder if they will add that iconic mole on Alec Guinness forehead in the special special editions?

And I think they really caught Mark Hamills likeness with that cute headsculpt!!

10Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Don't worry, Ephiane... it is indeed a recognizable figure. But everyone has different standards and expectations about the level of detail and screen-accuracy, especially when it comes to Hot Toys. I know that many feel that, for the price that Hot Toys charges, they should be getting exact miniature replica of the character on-screen. And while I can understand that, especially in terms of the issues with HT's prices, from my perspective it's a little different. Because I am a huge SW Prequels fan, but for many years I was never interested in collecting SW in 1/6 scale because all I ever saw were the old fashioned Sideshow figures, most of which to my eyes did not have very appealing headsculpts. Or worse, the Hasbro dolls. Razz  Of course, there were some that were ok, but not in terms of the characters I was personally most interested in. The only way to get a decent figure was to pay a great deal for a single custom headsculpt, but even then you were stuck with the original Sideshow body and outfit, unless you paid extra for a custom version of that as well. 

So, I'd pretty much avoided collecting SW figures in this scale, because based on what I'd seen in the past, I was convinced they weren't very appealing. That is, until I encountered a pic of the Hot Toys Anakin. I was like...omg, when did 1/6 figures get to be so good! I'd never even heard of Hot Toys until that point, lol. So from my perspective, it was like a miracle. Though of course I can understand that those who have been collecting HT figures for a long time would have much different expectations. But for me, even after becoming more aware of the 1/6 world in general, and learning what is possible in this hobby, I still have a great appreciation for these figures, as they caught my attention in a way that previous types of 1/6 figures never did. I remain especially grateful for the Anakin figure, and I'm now glad that there's an Obi-Wan to go along with him.  Smile 

11Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:I wonder if they will add that iconic mole on Alec Guinness forehead in the special special editions?

Awesome! Wink

12Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

michael crawford

Yea, those etched lines were a really smart move!

13Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the detailed review and the beautiful photos! Some early reports were complaining about the headsculpt, but I think it looks great. At least, it's the best mass-produced RotS Obi-Wan sculpt thus far! Smile

While I understand what you mean about the critique of HT hands, I have to admit I have not really noticed that myself and it doesn't bother me that much. Compared to some of the ginormous Sideshow hands I have used on some of my custom figures, the HT hands seem positively small, lol. I do agree that the belt, and boots for that matter, are a bit on the glossy side, but that can be easily fixed via a quick dry brush of weathering paint, which I was planning to do anyway. 

Currently waiting nervously for mine...still hasn't arrived yet and I'm about to move house! D:

I'm curious what method you'll use exactly. I've yet to display mine but if I'm displeased with the boots I too might like to alter them.

14Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Empty Re: Obi-wan (deluxe) figure review Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I’ll definitely share some pics, though it might be a while yet...

ETA: meant to add, my current method for weathering faux leather is generally just using Vallejo model paints mixed with fabric medium and lightly drybrushing to give the desired effect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum