OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CA glue / Accelerator

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CA glue / Accelerator Empty CA glue / Accelerator Mon May 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Over the past weekend I found myself at a bit of a loose end, so i dug out an old vinyl kit of an Elasmosaur I bought it from the bay few years ago and found it whilst tidying up. the kit is 1/35 so I wont say much about it but yesterday and today I found I had a problem and wondered if you kind folks had encountered something similar.

Now I may have posted something like this before but if i did I apologise.

So my problem is that yesterday and today I have had very bad flu like symptoms ( no I haven't got the virus) I think what it is, is the fumes from either the CA glue I had to use to fix the head/neck and 1 flipper on to this model. or alternatively it could be the Zap accelerator I used to 'freeze' the glue.

Do any of you folks have any suggestions for a brand of CA glue or Zap that has less fumes (im using roket thick and 'fumeless'which is really too runny)

The trouble is I tend to use these glues for a number of things but to be honest I can't be doing with feeling this rough (eyes watering, stuffed head, sneezing / sinusitis etc (no temperature or cough !) of course it could ne hay fever being stuck at home with the windows open overlooking a park full of trees but given past experience I figure its the glue.

Any ideas? or Suggestions?

2CA glue / Accelerator Empty Re: CA glue / Accelerator Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Actually, I’ve heard the pollen count (at least here in the states) is the highest it’s been in years, so even people without allergies are being affected. That being said, working in a well ventilated room while working with these types of glues for any length of time is a must. As well, I know we mentioned getting a respirator with the replaceable cartridges is also something that should be used (it might not have been to you specifically).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

CA glue / Accelerator C8485110

3CA glue / Accelerator Empty Re: CA glue / Accelerator Mon May 04, 2020 7:47 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
CA stands for Cyanoacrylate. It needs to absorb moisture from the air to cure, which is why thin layers work better than thick layers. There is no way to stop the fumes but they aren't toxic because they immediately react with the moisture in the lungs, nose, and throat and become in inert. However, about 5% of the population is sensitive to the fumes and exibit flu-like symptoms after repeated exposure. Wear a mask or use it in a room with good ventillation.

4CA glue / Accelerator Empty Re: CA glue / Accelerator Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 pm

MerylAkiba

Delanie, I can't remember if you mention the glue thing before in another post, but it might be allergies. For me, when I wear black latex nitrite gloves at work, my hands turn ghost pale like if they were pickled, matching the same color as my palm. Then I get bright red blotches. My hands then become super itchy and dries with scars.

My sister said to take a Claritin 24 hour liquid-gels and told me I might be allergic to either something they put on the gloves or something that was on the gloves when processed. So I take a Claritin and put massive amounts of O'Keefe lotion on my hands. Then I wear mitten to lock in the moisture, Next I put on the gloves. A tedious process, but no rash or itch. However, at another facility that I go to on certain days, they have a blue medical type gloves and those I wear and get no allergic reaction or itchiness. Which means that the brand of black gloves or factory that they came from is what I'm allergic towards.

For example, my cousin is in the Army, if he smells incense at church (that smoke grenade thingy on a chain) he throws up and faints every time. He did this every Palm Sunday since he was 8. My mom is diabetic. One of her medications has a flu-like side effect if she eats marinara sauce. My dad is a type 2, his side effect from one of his medications that he no longer takes, caused him to tremble and drink an entire gallon of orange juice and eat 2 chocolate bars whenever he was cleaning the garage with Pine-sol.

Maybe you are allergic or have a side effect to either the brand of ca glue or the process from the factory. Have you taken a Claritin? If you are taking medication, does your medication have a side effect that might enhance the scent of the glue?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum