OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jaztermareal

jaztermareal
Soooo, Gordon arrived today and here are my initial impressions:

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection 49984966308_c4a985ef4d_bIMG_2397 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Cons:
Not as refined as most current 1:6 brands
Pose-ability limited by outfit
Use of softer PVC for lower torso armour
Unrealistic paint job on head/face
Doesn't tightly grip the crowbar
Batteries in gravity gun are pre-installed (risk of corrosion over time)
LED in the gravity gun is a bit dim
Bullet in pistol magazine not painted
Sloppy weathering/drybrushing on items like the shotgun
Some seam-lines
Headcrab is a little small

Pros:
Looks like Gordon Freeman in the game/game art
Includes a figure stand
Patterned fabric suit on a base body with armour parts on top (as opposed to solid plastic or rubberised figure)
Lots of accessories (Stand, glasses, 3 grenades, shotgun, pistol with magazine, Pheropod, gravity gun, 5 pairs hands total if exclusive or 4 pairs for standard IIRC, crowbar and if exclusive edition, an articulated headcrab)
Some nice colouring on the armour
Glasses fit on easily and stay put
All hands have dedicated wrist pegs (I wish more companies would include enough pegs as they are most likely thing to break on most figures)
Light up button on gravity gun is very well hidden
Hands swap easily, no fear of breakage
Nothing really feels flimsy (aside from the glasses for obvious reasons)
Headcrab has articulated legs
Stands fine without figure stand

I may have missed a few things with that summary but that is the gist of it.

The packaing is nothing to write home about but is on par with most brands (similar to 3A in construction and quality).

Overall I think it is over priced for what it is. It is nice enough and I do not regret buying it plus I am willing to cut Mondo some slack as they are new to the high end 1:6 figure market and normally make cartoon/comic styled figures so they certainly may improve over time as they learn and they may have higher costs than many Asia based brands that contribute to the price but as said they definitely have a lot of room to improve and will need to do so over subsequent releases if they want to compete and justify the price they charge.

Solid 3/5 maybe 3.5/5. It is the only 1:6 Half Life figure on the market and one of the very few figures (in any scale) of Gordon Freeman so has little competition and for now is the best 1:6 Gordon Freeman you can get. Worth it for fans of Half Life but if not a fan either wait for a better version in the future or buy it only when on sale. So long as your expectations are set correctly you won't be disappointed and I can honestly say I have had worse figures from more established brands in the past.

Hope Mondo improve by the time they make the Doomslayer as the pre-views looked great. Then again that character has a helmet on so will prob look better just thanks to that. Fingers crossed.

Now, for pics of it in my roughly set up video game character display (because I am a show off and yes I do intend to get proper lighting put in the cabinets one day..)

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection 49984966108_d10b9901f2_bIMG_2399 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection 49985485816_5636959d44_bIMG_2398 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection 49984966383_48905e3eda_bIMG_2396 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He looks pretty good, and I imagine some of the shortcomings you found can be improved upon with a bit of customization on your part -- unless of course you intend to keep the figure in near mint condition (apart from unboxing and displaying it, obviously). And great looking collection overall.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Too bad about the flat paint job, but then that seems to be Mondo’s Modus Operandi. Awesome display of figures.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mondo Half Life 2 Gordon Freeman 1:6 figure in hand plus my collection C8485110

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I haven't played Half Life 2 yet but that's a really cool collection. As a casual gamer I only recognize a few of the characters - Vault Dweller, the girl from Mirror's Edge, that realistic Mario hiding in the back looks interesting...and is that Cole McGrath from inFamous standing next to him?

jaztermareal

jaztermareal
AlKelAstra91 wrote:I haven't played Half Life 2 yet but that's a really cool collection. As a casual gamer I only recognize a few of the characters - Vault Dweller, the girl from Mirror's Edge, that realistic Mario hiding in the back looks interesting...and is that Cole McGrath from inFamous standing next to him?

Cheers! Next to Mario is B. J. Blascowicz from the collectors edition of Wolfenstein: The New Collossus. It is made to look like a vintage 1960's Action Man/GI Joe.

I forget the brand of the Mario figure but I think the figure was called super plumber or something.

jaztermareal

jaztermareal
GubernatorFan wrote:He looks pretty good, and I imagine some of the shortcomings you found can be improved upon with a bit of customization on your part -- unless of course you intend to keep the figure in near mint condition (apart from unboxing and displaying it, obviously). And great looking collection overall.

normally I do not customise figures much unless they are downright terrible but I do make occasional fixes here and there. in Gordons case I will probably just add my own headcrab and headcrab zombie at a later date plus maybe a suit helmet if I ever get round to it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Too bad about the flat paint job, but then that seems to be Mondo’s Modus Operandi. Awesome display of figures.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad figure and Mondo may yet improve, I just feel that the price point should have been maybe 50 bucks lower. I still like it despite the flaws

Ovy

Ovy
Gordon Freeman in the flesh (or rather in the Hazard suit)
Totally agree, could be better, could be worse, could be cheaper, but it's the best there is obviously. Thanks for showing.

Also, great opportunity to look at your beautiful collection (or a part at least)

Cute Portal turret, and didn't know they made a Geth...Gath.
I'd like to see more of that beautiful Fallout Power Armor.
No body for Liara?

jaztermareal

jaztermareal
Ovy wrote:Gordon Freeman in the flesh (or rather in the Hazard suit)
Totally agree, could be better, could be worse, could be cheaper, but it's the best there is obviously. Thanks for showing.

Also, great opportunity to look at your beautiful collection (or a part at least)

Cute Portal turret, and didn't know they made a Geth...Gath.
I'd like to see more of that beautiful Fallout Power Armor.
No body for Liara?

Cheers!

The Geth is Legion made by Threezero. It looks amazing but has a lot of soft rubber parts so not something I feel confident will last long term. I may one day sculpt replacement parts in plastic bot not any time soon. The Liara head meanwhile is from one of those weird vinyl toys with super deformed bodies but the head looked usable if a little small so I am saving it for a custom Liara at a later date (READ: when I stop procrastinating) using a 10 inch figure body maybe so the head doesnt look too small.

The Fallout armours are the Threezero T-60 Atom Cats version and the Threezero T-51 Nuka Cola version. Both are awesome figures but there is no way I can afford to complete the set given how expensive they are, especially the T-45. Shame as I would love the whole set. Interestingly some of the Loot Crate Fallout weapons are 1:6 or close to it so I collected all 7 plus Loot Crate miniatures from Gears of War etc. Nice to see 1:6 stuff pop up here and there where you wouldn't expect it

ukshaun

ukshaun
He looks decent enough. The portrait paint app has room for a more lifelike improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum