OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BAD WOLF-787

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:This is a gorgeous version of Wonder Woman except for that abomination of sculpted hair. (I've come to loathe sculpted hair)

I will wait for the Golden Armor version instead.

Looks like the consensus overwhelmingly favors rooted hair for female figs.  If I only ever looked at a figure standing alone in a display case, I would probably agree.  But to my eyes, the thing that looks worse than a WW with sculpted hair is a WW with rooted hair interacting with a Superman or unmasked Bruce Wayne (sculpted hair).  My perceptions can adjust to a style, but not to stylistic inconsistency.

I kinda give HT props for extra effort going "sculpted" this time instead of lazily duplicating the previous WWs, though with HT WWs being 5 and counting (of which I own 2), finding ways of varying it up probably made business sense.

You do have a good point there with displaying a rooted hair for female figure along with sculpted hair male figures although I have the first gen of Captain Marvel with sculpted hair (the main reason I hate sculpted hair) and she's in my photo shoot along with 17 other females with rooted hair (one being first gen WW) and she stands out like a sore thumb.

And welcome back I've been wondering what happened to you it's been a long time.

Moonbase Alpha Male

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:This is a gorgeous version of Wonder Woman except for that abomination of sculpted hair. (I've come to loathe sculpted hair)

I will wait for the Golden Armor version instead.

Looks like the consensus overwhelmingly favors rooted hair for female figs.  If I only ever looked at a figure standing alone in a display case, I would probably agree.  But to my eyes, the thing that looks worse than a WW with sculpted hair is a WW with rooted hair interacting with a Superman or unmasked Bruce Wayne (sculpted hair).  My perceptions can adjust to a style, but not to stylistic inconsistency.

I kinda give HT props for extra effort going "sculpted" this time instead of lazily duplicating the previous WWs, though with HT WWs being 5 and counting (of which I own 2), finding ways of varying it up probably made business sense.

You do have a good point there with displaying a rooted hair for female figure along with sculpted hair male figures although I have the first gen of Captain Marvel with sculpted hair (the main reason I hate sculpted hair) and she's in my photo shoot along with 17 other females with rooted hair (one being first gen WW) and she stands out like a sore thumb.

And welcome back I've been wondering what happened to you it's been a long time.

Actually this new HT WW may be quite instructive since I believe it's probably the first occurrence of parallel versions of the same person (doesn't hurt that it's Gal Gadot) side by side, both at a level of excellence, directly comparing rooted and sculpted versions. (Damn, wasn't going to buy this one but now I kinda wanna see that in hand...)

And thanks Bad Wolf, I had a scare last year that resolved wholly positively and then some catch-up life complications where I lurked here occasionally but didn't post (which I'm slowly going to start doing again). Gotta say OneSixthFigures has really grown exceptionally well, thanks to Gubernator, Stryker, and posts like yours.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
While I may disagree with MoonbaseAlphaMale on this particular issue (provided the use of sculpted or rooted hair is appropriate -- sculpted for short or tightly bound, rooted for flowing -- I don't think one gets a jolt from inconsistency seeing rooted and sculpted hair on different figures side by side), I'm absolutely delighted to see him make a return to active participation in the forum and hope that he will contribute here and in other threads. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

bunnyfreakz

IDk the head still looks kinda off. They nailed likeliness of WW Golden Armor.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Was this really first solicited nearly three years ago?  I just received mine today.  I haven’t done much with her yet, but it seems like a nice figure overall.  The only thing I’m not thrilled about are the gold highlights painted on her armor.  I don’t see why they deemed that to be necessary.  It wasn’t there in the promo pictures.

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 37d1b410

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 7a89e310

As always, I’m more than happy to share my tips and tricks for lighting, figure posing, and creating custom backgrounds.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! That took a while. Glad you finally got her — though I’m still disappointed that this was the beginning of HT’s backward move toward sculpted hair on their female figures.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 C8485110

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I watched a couple of reviews, and the gold paint on the red armor may represent weathering with the idea that the armor is truly gold and painted red.

csyeung

csyeung
I think they added more gold because it was more prevalent in the film version so they matched it, but yea I agree, they could have toned that down. I presume the majority of the delay was to R & D the new rubber/silicone they used for this new version. Congrats on the addition!

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Whoa 3 years! Thanks for the update, Xavion. I agree with the gold patina looking overdone.
Now that Craig mentioned it, so it's indeed screen accurate but I still prefer no "weathering" like the promo pics which looked perfect to me.
If they wanted more screen accuracy, they could've made the hair much much darker!

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
Got my ‘84 Classic Armor Wonder Woman in!!! So happy!!

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 200

I know the sculpted hair is more limiting for posing, but for me I don’t mind it at all and actually typically prefer it sculpted. (But I can see why some would prefer the rooted/faux hair.) Hmm, I think I would’ve liked to have seen swap out hair pieces, perhaps one in a wind-swept look and another more action oriented.

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
Removed..

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Zurdoz wrote:I know the sculpted hair is more limiting for posing, but for me I don’t mind it at all and actually typically prefer it sculpted. (But I can see why some would prefer the rooted/faux hair.) Hmm, I think I would’ve liked to have seen swap out hair pieces, perhaps one in a wind-swept look and another more action oriented.
I hope you realize you could just hit the edit button and add to the post you've already posted. No need for successive new posts.

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
GubernatorFan wrote:
Zurdoz wrote:I know the sculpted hair is more limiting for posing, but for me I don’t mind it at all and actually typically prefer it sculpted. (But I can see why some would prefer the rooted/faux hair.) Hmm, I think I would’ve liked to have seen swap out hair pieces, perhaps one in a wind-swept look and another more action oriented.
I hope you realize you could just hit the edit button and add to the post you've already posted. No need for successive new posts.

D’oh my bad Embarassed I got carried away Laughing

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Zurdoz -- there are arguments to be made for sculpted hair. Even though I personally prefer 'real' hair in every possible circumstance, I also know that it is probably always going to be more of a niche customiser thing rather than something available on all mass-produced figures. Sometimes it is 'laziness' on the part of the company, but it is also sometimes simply due to practicality. Real hair (whether synthetic or natural fibers) is harder to maintain and to keep styled properly. It needs 'touch up's now and again. And a lot of people who collect Hot Toys are just that -- collectors. They want something that is going to look good all the time and they can just display under some LED lights and that's that. Whereas a lot of us here on this forum are perhaps a little more involved in the customising side of things, hence why we might prefer real hair. Some customisers value realism over the practicality of display. I'm one of those customisers myself, but I also 'get' why some people might not feel the same way.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
skywalkersaga wrote:Zurdoz -- there are arguments to be made for sculpted hair. Even though I personally prefer 'real' hair in every possible circumstance, I also know that it is probably always going to be more of a niche customiser thing rather than something available on all mass-produced figures. Sometimes it is 'laziness' on the part of the company, but it is also sometimes simply due to practicality. Real hair (whether synthetic or natural fibers) is harder to maintain and to keep styled properly. It needs 'touch up's now and again. And a lot of people who collect Hot Toys are just that -- collectors. They want something that is going to look good all the time and they can just display under some LED lights and that's that. Whereas a lot of us here on this forum are perhaps a little more involved in the customising side of things, hence why we might prefer real hair. Some customisers value realism over the practicality of display. I'm one of those customisers myself, but I also 'get' why some people might not feel the same way.

Well said! Exactly! WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f44d We all have our preferences, likes and tolerances WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f600 For myself, I’m mostly a relaxed collector. Hats off to you and all who go through customizing, I imagine it’s tedious yet rewarding.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Zurdoz wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Zurdoz -- there are arguments to be made for sculpted hair. Even though I personally prefer 'real' hair in every possible circumstance, I also know that it is probably always going to be more of a niche customiser thing rather than something available on all mass-produced figures. Sometimes it is 'laziness' on the part of the company, but it is also sometimes simply due to practicality. Real hair (whether synthetic or natural fibers) is harder to maintain and to keep styled properly. It needs 'touch up's now and again. And a lot of people who collect Hot Toys are just that -- collectors. They want something that is going to look good all the time and they can just display under some LED lights and that's that. Whereas a lot of us here on this forum are perhaps a little more involved in the customising side of things, hence why we might prefer real hair. Some customisers value realism over the practicality of display. I'm one of those customisers myself, but I also 'get' why some people might not feel the same way.

Well said! Exactly!  WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f44d We all have our preferences, likes and tolerances WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f600 For myself, I’m mostly a relaxed collector. Hats off to you and all who go through customizing, I imagine it’s tedious yet rewarding.

Yeah, there are multiple ways to approach this hobby, and they all have their merits. There's isn't one right or wrong way to go about it. There are some figures that even I wouldn't bother with re-hairing because it would just take too much maintence to keep them looking nice.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
One of those questions that probably will never have a definitive answer.  I can't imagine having one absolute preference, even just as pure personal taste.  Too many sculpted hair figures that I can't imagine with "real" hair, but also, vice versa.  Further complications arise if we consider the stylistics of figures from paintings, animation characters, or comic book art.  Some people say that "real" hair favors female figures and sculpted hair for males (but then, someone inevitably says "Thor?").  There is also the added confusion of displaying or photographing groups:  where the best "real" hair figure of all time and the best sculpted hair figure of all time will still look weird together.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Have they finally given her a complete tbl body? The wonder woman I have from Hot toys, had a really disappointing body.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Zurdoz wrote:Got my ‘84 Classic Armor Wonder Woman in!!! So happy!!

I know the sculpted hair is more limiting for posing, but for me I don’t mind it at all and actually typically prefer it sculpted. (But I can see why some would prefer the rooted/faux hair.) Hmm, I think I would’ve liked to have seen swap out hair pieces, perhaps one in a wind-swept look and another more action oriented.

Congrats!
I am 'still' waiting for mine to ship, which it will do some day?

From the pictures i have seen, i sense Hot Toys altered the portrait slightly to look more like previous figures. I really like the prototype portrait, which i think looks great, although some complained that it looked not enough like GG, which probably explains why Hot Toys tweaked it slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
skywalkersaga wrote:
Yeah, there are multiple ways to approach this hobby, and they all have their merits. There's isn't one right or wrong way to go about it. There are some figures that even I wouldn't bother with re-hairing because it would just take too much maintence to keep them looking nice.

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 HpnoEyu

BAMComix wrote:Have they finally given her a complete tbl body? The wonder woman I have from Hot toys, had a really disappointing body.

Well they developed a newer material for the semi-seamless body that they market as silicone. Though, they didn’t give her a full, continuous seamless body; the legs attach to the hips with ball joints as well as the torso.

ukshaun wrote:
Congrats!
I am 'still' waiting for mine to ship, which it will do some day?

From the pictures i have seen, i sense Hot Toys altered the portrait slightly to look more like previous figures. I really like the prototype portrait, which i think looks great, although some complained that it looked not enough like GG, which probably explains why Hot Toys tweaked it slightly.

Thanks!  WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f600 I hope you’ll receive yours soon!

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
This is my first HT Wonder Woman in classic armor!
The first thing i did was remove the tiara, wanted to see how much Gal is in the sculpt.
I don't mind the sculpted hair, but like my usual rant, hair should be darker!
I'd really like to swap the heads, put the tiara on the Golden Armor head but I'm afraid of messing up the nice out-of-the-box hair.

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ww84x210  WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ww84-n10

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
The face sculpt looks beautiful. I know the debate gets tiring, but if it were me, I’d pull an Ian and heat up that head and pull that sculpted hair off and add real, then you can get it not only darker, but put the tiara back on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yep, Ian would pull an Ian too. Smile But she does look beautiful. By now there are a number of third party heads (NR being the best?) that are about as good, so you have additional options, if you are not up to rehairing or want to preserve the original as is.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
If you wear nitrile gloves when handling the headsculpt you can probably minimize messing up the hair too much.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
@Stryker & Gub, nah I don't have the guts to pull an Ian.
Speaking of 3rd party heads, I'll have to get one of those side-glancing recast heads.
Only NR & JX are in the headsculpt database, I think JX looks better painted than NR.
No TTToys Gal yet in the database. I found 2 short videos of the in-hand head.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004760673741.html

@Sky, thanks for the tip! I just remembered I have a box of powder-free latex gloves.

@BAM, Disappointing in what way? That the joints tore when left in a bent pose?
I don't own any of the previous WW's but the TPE HT body looks great sculpt-wise, especially the collar bone detail.

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
rollotomasi wrote:This is my first HT Wonder Woman in classic armor!
The first thing i did was remove the tiara, wanted to see how much Gal is in the sculpt.
I don't mind the sculpted hair, but like my usual rant, hair should be darker!
I'd really like to swap the heads, put the tiara on the Golden Armor head but I'm afraid of messing up the nice out-of-the-box hair.

WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ww84x210  WonderWoman - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: WONDER WOMAN 1984 WONDER WOMAN 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ww84-n10

Definite congratz! I still haven’t opened up mines yet Laughing but from what I can tell based on everyone’s photos and reviews this is looking to be my fav movie WW figure! Agree, I don’t mind the sculpted hair either. Haha yeah I want to swap the heads too, but even then I get a bit anxious when popping heads/hands on and off figures Laughing

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I am SO confused. Where did this latest “classic armor” version come from? I thought there was only one HT Wonder Woman 1984?

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Yes there's only 1 WW84 figure.
Technically my first HT WW is the Golden Armor so I was just stating that this WW84 is my first WW in "classic" red & gold armor
since I intentionally passed on the BVS, JL & Comics Concept versions.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
rollotomasi wrote:Yes there's only 1 WW84 figure.
Techically my first HT WW is the Golden Armor so I was just stating that this WW84 is my first WW in "classic" red & gold armor
since I intentionally passed on the BVS, JL & Comics Concept versions.

Okay, so now I can at least narrow down my confusion.  Granted, my photography skills (or lack thereof) could make Miss Spetsnaz look like Svetlana (turn of the century Dragon Toys female figure for those not close to retirement age), but if you look at the pick of my figure earlier in the thread, yours and mine may have the same sculpt, but they definitely don’t have the same paint apps.

I checked on You Tube, and in general, those that were reviewed three months ago look like mine, and those that were reviewed three weeks ago look like yours, so maybe there was a running change?.  Or to put it another way…

WAH!!!  Yours is prettier than mine!!!   Laughing

Edit:  I went over to Sideshow Freaks and looked through the last ten pages of the WW thread.  I see nothing from all of the pics posted, including from those that just recently received the figure, to support my little conspiracy theory.  They all look like alike, and they all look like mine.  I guess I’ll chalk it up to excellent photography.  The picture of her next to the Golden Armor WW is especially stunning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum