OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: VSToys: 1/6 Fighting Volleyball Series Fruit Ear 19XG66 Full Box Set Double Head Carved Three Shapes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't know about this, but I suppose people more into anime might appreciate them much better than me. As I see it, there are some useful items for kitbashing.

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
This is my least favourite character from Dead of Alive series. I find her kind of annoying, a bit tryhard on the "kawaii" anime girl stereotype.. at least in my opinion.

The DoA franchise was my favorite fighting game franchise and I'm still sad for missing those SuperDuck Kasumi sets, and I would love to see La Mariposa, Ayane in the purple dress (I don't know how was it never released), but specially my main female character, Christie.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I played the DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball game a long time ago on the X-Box. I thought it was hilarious. (Lisa was the character I played as; Christie was my second favorite).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

videogame-based - NEW PRODUCT: VSToys: 1/6 Fighting Volleyball Series Fruit Ear 19XG66 Full Box Set Double Head Carved Three Shapes C8485110

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
FreakinLobster wrote:This is my least favourite character from Dead of Alive series. I find her kind of annoying, a bit tryhard on the "kawaii" anime girl stereotype.. at least in my opinion.

The DoA franchise was my favorite fighting game franchise and I'm still sad for missing those SuperDuck Kasumi sets, and I would love to see La Mariposa, Ayane in the purple dress (I don't know how was it never released), but specially my main female character, Christie.

While I agree with you that this character is a bit of a try-hard to that anime stereotype, she is at least better than Marie IMHO (though Marie's 1/6th kit name makes me laugh every time I scroll past it while browsing stuff). I just cannot stand Marie to save my life, and I will take Honoka over her any day of the week. I too wish that more of the characters would have gotten something (Ayane being a major miss as you pointed out), but maybe they will update and re-release Kasumi's blue/black/white dresses?

I will likely be ordering this as I will take all the help I can get in making the characters (an overall, long term project of mine). They didn't do a horrible job with the head sculpt for Honoka from what I can see, so thats a good thing. I need more pictures of the HS to really decide.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
This is not really my thing and I know nothing about it, but there's definite kitbash potential in some of the accessories. I really like the set of hands and the t-shirt.

I'm assuming that's the new TBL anime body they're using for the bikini shots here, and in this context it doesn't look as ridiculous as it does in its own promos. It's still cartoonish, but somehow less unappealing.

EDIT: Unless of course it's a Jiaou Very Happy

I assume there's no body included unless that's what 'Ladle Plastid' means. Laughing

EDIT2: Ah, further research (which means looking at GianToy's listing) reveals it does mean that, and it is a TBL.

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
I think it's gonna be unlikely for them to re-re-release Kasumi's sets, since they've already done a 2.0 version. But if they do, I would totally go for the three colours too.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
FreakinLobster wrote:I think it's gonna be unlikely for them to re-re-release Kasumi's sets, since they've already done a 2.0 version. But if they do, I would totally go for the three colours too.

Agreed on all counts. Perhaps throwing my credit card at the screen will help.

brassco

brassco
the popular volleyball theme from DOA, tons of videos in youtube. I would probably just go for the  volleyball. I hoped there are other sports equipment made!

Kitsune1000

Kitsune1000
Here is the figure in hand.  Did a few small modifications.  
Styled the Bangs,  added a wash to weather the volleyball, and  added a string with two Airsoft BB's  to simulate her glove tie off.  
I'm working on a beach front diorama  for this figure.

videogame-based - NEW PRODUCT: VSToys: 1/6 Fighting Volleyball Series Fruit Ear 19XG66 Full Box Set Double Head Carved Three Shapes 1Y9QM7E
videogame-based - NEW PRODUCT: VSToys: 1/6 Fighting Volleyball Series Fruit Ear 19XG66 Full Box Set Double Head Carved Three Shapes IMaKeQf

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'd say your presentations and customization is an improvement on the original product.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Nicely done. Out of curiosity, how tall did the figure come out to be by comparison of the other TBL bodies?

Kitsune1000

Kitsune1000
MeMyself&I wrote:Nicely done. Out of curiosity, how tall did the figure come out to be by comparison of the other TBL bodies?

A little bit shorter not by much , compared to a s10d I'd say 1 cm at most, hard to judge with out undressing and doing a proper measurement. In her current pose I measured it roughly 28 cm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Kitsune1000 wrote:
MeMyself&I wrote:Nicely done. Out of curiosity, how tall did the figure come out to be by comparison of the other TBL bodies?

A little bit shorter not by much ,  compared to a s10d I'd say 1 cm at most,  hard to judge with out undressing and doing a proper measurement.   In her current pose I measured it roughly 28 cm

Thank you for that! I was curious because it looked like it could be pretty dang tall, but I don’t trust photos for heights without direct comparisons. I’m glad it appears to be on the average to shorter side for sure!

csyeung

csyeung
Looks good Kitsune!

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Alrighty, so I found this on Monkey Depot and she arrived today.

I am going to call this review: I coulda, probably shoulda, but obviously didn't.

Lets start with the background:

As has been mentioned before, this is a character from the Dead or Alive (DOA) video game franchise, specifically of the character Honoka, who debuted back in the 5th installment of the series. The series, as I am sure more than a few of you know, is split into the fighting game main series (which is where this character debuted) and into the volleyball spin off. This iteration is obviously from the latter, and it is clearly not officially licensed, however not subtle it may be to what/who it is. Here is more than anyone would ever need to know about Honoka: https://deadoralive.fandom.com/wiki/Honoka

A little background, but I first played the series way back in the days of original xbox and of the Sega Dreamcast (RIP). It has been my fav fighting game ever since. There has been very little merch, shockingly, that has been officially licensed, however shocking or not shocking that may be. At least by comparison of the other fighting game IPs, like Street Fighter (to be fair, that is the king of this genre in so many ways) and King of Fighters (which I also obviously really like from my other posts). I have also been working on my own custom of my favorite character from DOA, Kasumi, which is going quite well (there will be a major update post on that in the coming months, as there is a dio involved now). So when I see something like this, I am more than a little intrigued to see how it turns out.

However, I am torn with this figure. On one hand, it is exactly what you expect, and honestly is not a bad figure. On the other, as a fan of the series, yeah, I am not exactly thrilled (even if Honoka is not in my top 5).

Physical attributes:

Height: Approx 266-270mm (if you do the thing with the hips to lower the body. It is right around the s38 in height)

Bust: 150mm (which is positively comical when you look at this body because the...)

Waist: 86mm (waist is SUPER tiny. Good grief it is tiny)

Hips: 134mm (at least this is semi-normal, though still fairly tiny)

The neck/wrist/foot pegs are all for the smaller neck adapters/hands/feet. Think S34 connection.

Accessories:

Good amount of hands, all of which seem to have the finger nails painted, and quite nicely. It is a nice touch honestly.

A volleyball, which is also pretty cool. Roughing it up with some light sanding would likely do more for wear and tear than a wash IMO, but that depends on display choices.

Three total outfits:
- A white, string bikini. Leaves little to the imagination as one would expect.
- A blue and white bikini top and bottom, with short jean shorts.
- The grey "denim" skirt/shorts with a black belt, and a little cow pendant thing (which is adorable and very in character) and a white/green-ish yellow shirt with a cow face that says "milk" under the face. While the cow is adorable as heck, the milk is not what I would define as "subtle." There is also probably the softest pair of stockings I have felt on a 1/6th scale figure with bows attached and some peg in white/black healed shoes.

All outfits are decent quality overall, though there are some issues:
- The bows on the stockings come off very easily. Fabric tape will fix it, but it's annoying.
- The grey skirt/shorts thing is not the best fitting thing.
- The cow shirt is, as one video on youtube put it, practically bolted on. It lives up to that description. It will come off, but it won't like it.
- The shoes are, well, trash (at least on mine). A heat gun helped, but you get ZERO articulation out of it.

Speaking of articulation:
- I am pretty sure this is a variation of the anime body, the S36 and 37. It is in that vein.
- Typical TBL movement and quality, but the arms on mine are, like with my S34, not good. The movement is stiff, and it will break if I am not careful.
- Legs and waist and neck move great, but those arms...

Head sculpt:
- MUCH better as we have seen compared to the promos.
- Has the right hair color, and the right hair accessory.
- The head that looks like it is in pain for a very inappropriate reason is completely needless and I would actually be happier without it being part of the set.
- The eyes, perhaps just on mine, are not that great. Wrong eye color, and the actual whites of the eyes seems to be a medium to medium dark grey, which doesn't work at all.
- If I had no idea who Honoka was, I would be happy with it (quirks aside). But it is NOT Honoka in any real sense. Someone cosplaying Honoka would be more accurate.
- Combine this with the physical attributes being too dang small (yes, I said small), and the cosplay comment makes it a better figure.

Misc:
- In physical appearance, she is also too small to be Honoka.
- Height is actually a bit too tall, but Honoka is shockingly curvy all things considered, and this body is, well, not.
- It does not do her aesthetic any real favors.

My conclusion then is that I am torn. I should have waited to buy things parted out, been responsible, but I wanted it and had the money to get it. I am not unhappy, but I am not overjoyed. For what it is, it is a good figure, and one I will find a spot to display. I also hope they make some other characters.

However, as a fan of the series, it is disappointing. I really want to just smack the owners of the IP for not cashing in on things with actual licensed product. I would be over the moon if the characters got the treatment that Genesis has given to the KOF characters! But alas, I will stick to making them myself, in a higher quality than this. Overall, I would say get it if you want it, probably a 7/10 for me.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the review, MM&I, seems reasonable.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the objective review of the product MM&I. I appreciate these detailed reviews and sorry to hear that it didn't meet all your expectations as a super fan of the series. It's always a bit of a let down if you are a super fan because we always want the best representation and tend to be more critical of any wrong details.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Really nice one-two punch with Kitsune’s pics and MMI’s detailed written review.  I love how Kitsune styled the bangs.  I think it really brings out the beauty of the sculpt.

I can definitely relate to MMI’s overall feelings about the figure as I’ve been torn on quite a few 1:6 purchases.  As Csyeung said, having an affinity for the character makes it even more difficult to be truly satisfied with a figure.

Coming from the world of 5” to 7” scale figures with little if any soft goods (fabric clothing), no rooted hair, and most of the detail sculpted on, I find 1:6 to be very tricky.  With figures like Marvel Legends or even some of the high end lines like figma, S.H. Figuarts, and Storm Collectibles, you pretty much get what you get and you don’t get upset.  There really is no such thing as kitbashing.  If you’re going to customize a figure, you have to be good at sculpting, painting, and using a Drexel, and very few have the skills to pull off a production quality custom figure.  The trade off with 1:6 is that there’s more that can go “wrong” with a figure, but there’s also a lot more that the average collector can do about it with all of the loose bodies, head sculpts, clothing and accessories available.

I guess what I’m gradually learning with 1:6 is that I go through a cycle with most figures.  I have a preconceived idea of what the figure should be and will be, I’m disappointed when the actual in-hand pics start popping up and they don’t match my preconceptions, and then eventually, I come to accept the figure on its own terms.  Then and only then can I make an informed decision on whether or not I like the figure, and I’ve had it go both ways over this past year that I’ve been collecting 1:6.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum