OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Troops From the North

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Troops From the North  Empty My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Chip

Here is my NVA RPD Gunner . He is equipped for travelling the Ho Chi Minh Trail , as they normally went into battle carrying much less . Cammo U.S Parachute`s were used to make capes amongst other things , including scarves ect . If U.S Aircraft , Helicopters went over they would curl up under the capes to hide , if they had to run , the capes would flap behind them in a Super Hero fashion . I only have a limited knowledge of " The little red book " . But it was I believe , full of phrases regarding communism and struggle . A lot of the NVA kept personal diaries , these were scratch made along with the pencil and smoke . He carries on his ruck a shovel , hammock , and rice tube with his Ho Chi Minh Sandals tucked in his ruck . The shoulder bag carries ammo for the RPD . Hope you like him .

My Troops From the North  P1050004

My Troops From the North  P1050021

My Troops From the North  P1050029

My Troops From the North  P1050038

My Troops From the North  P1050046

My Troops From the North  P1050048

My Troops From the North  P1050073

My Troops From the North  P1050217

My Troops From the North  P1050225

My Troops From the North  P1050234

My Troops From the North  P1050244

2My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Chip

This is one of my updated North Vietnamese Army troops , or more commonly known as the NVA . Normally better equipped than the Vietcong .  They were led by very clever generals , often only taking on the Americans when it was in their favour , often hitting the American units hard and fast and then disappearing into the bush which they were very good at , note the U.S parachute cloth in the pith helmet net . He is kitted out for humping the Ho Chi Minh trail , as they often went into battle carrying much less . He has his ration rice tube tucked in behind his ruck . Mostly up graded 21st stuff .

My Troops From the North  10-P1100145

My Troops From the North  0-P1100147

My Troops From the North  1-P1100134

My Troops From the North  2-P1100124

My Troops From the North  3-P1100126

My Troops From the North  4-P1100132

My Troops From the North  5-P1100125

My Troops From the North  6-P1100128

My Troops From the North  7-P1100154

My Troops From the North  8-P1100136

My Troops From the North  9-P1100142

3My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Chip

I been upgrading my troops with some of the nice new sculpts that have come out , so time to upgrade another NVA troop .

My Troops From the North  P1100424

My Troops From the North  P1100428

My Troops From the North  P1100430

My Troops From the North  P1100427

My Troops From the North  P1100422

4My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Chip

This was titled as a Kumik sculpt on eBay , the detail is amazing . But ...the neck is a solid piece and so wont to my knowledge fit any standard body , and the neck was on the long side , so involved a good deal of surgery to look right on this body . I vowed I wouldn`t be buying anymore Kumik heads , but if anymore as good as this show up .....It is an outstanding sculpt .
 So my new NVA is armed with an R.P.G ( Rocket Propelled Grenade ) , also known as the B.40 Rocket launcher . The gunner often had a spotter / ammo carrier , armed with an Ak47 or similar , to offer close protection and carry more rockets for the RPG . The wooden part of the RPG , prevented the firer from getting burnt from the blast of the rocket when fired . They were used primarily against bunkers and any other armour that they came against , and were accurate ( with a good gunner ) up to a range of 150 meters .
   The Rocket harness on my figure was scratch made from an O.D canvas style glove , stitched by hand , along with the scratch made rice tube he carries across his chest . The rest is reworked 21st century stuff , along with a small satchel bag from DML .  Now for the pics...I so like that sculpt .

My Troops From the North  1-P1100544

My Troops From the North  10-P1100559

My Troops From the North  2-P1100543

My Troops From the North  3-P1100550

My Troops From the North  4-P1100547

My Troops From the North  5-P1100554

My Troops From the North  6-P1100545

My Troops From the North  7-P1100561

My Troops From the North  8-P1100552

My Troops From the North  9-P1100560

5My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Chip

On the Ho Chi Minh trail . These troops , often marching south from the north , could be on the trail for months , many died before they see any combat from illnesses like Malaria , and I dare say from U.S bombings . Villages re supplied them with rice ( either willingly or bullied into it ). Rice was the bulk of their diet , carried in his rice tube attached to his ruck , along with any vegetables found in the bush , and tinned fish paste . Apart from the cloth boonie , it`s all re worked 21st century Toys gear . And a Flocked hair Head . Very Happy

My Troops From the North  1-P1100578

My Troops From the North  2-P1100566

My Troops From the North  3-P1100567

My Troops From the North  4-P1100569

My Troops From the North  5-P1100571

My Troops From the North  6-P1100572

My Troops From the North  7-P1100575

My Troops From the North  8-P1100565

My Troops From the North  9-P1100579

6My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Chip

This is my NVA Sniper . He maybe due some changes in the future , but is ready for action as he stands . I managed to find another nice sculpt I am very pleased with , and he has a new to me Russian made Mosin Nagant rifle with scope . You may well have seen in the movies , the NVA and Vietcong using AK47`s in Sniper scenes , though perhaps not impossible , serious well trained snipers would of used rifles mainly the Soviet Mosin Nagant , accurate up to 600yrds plus . Snipers could hold up lots of movement from U.S troops single handed , often wounding a man in the open , and picking off would be rescuers and or medics . Even vehicles such as tanks , by aiming at crewman , tanks tended to stop and try blasting the area in front , even once the crew buttoned down the hatches , the communist Snipers would aim at the drivers scopes , in effect blinding the tank . A good sniper in your area was bad for moral ....that went for both sides .

My Troops From the North  1-P1100623

My Troops From the North  10-P1100644

My Troops From the North  11-P1100614

My Troops From the North  12-P1100615

My Troops From the North  13-P1100619

My Troops From the North  14-P1100622

My Troops From the North  2-P1100633

My Troops From the North  3-P1100646

My Troops From the North  5-P1100634

My Troops From the North  6-P1100637

My Troops From the North  7-P1100639

My Troops From the North  8-P1100642

My Troops From the North  9-P1100641

My Troops From the North  4-P1100621

7My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:30 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Man oh man those guys look great, Chip! Love the sniper especially.

Hope my grunts don't bump into those fellas Wink

8My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Talon65

I really like the sniper too.

Is anyone else not seeing the first two pics? All I see is code and I really wanna see the RPD gunner! I wanna see! I wanna see!

9My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very cool looking figures, and nice bit of history. Many of us have a (mostly) disdain for Kumik sculpts — much of which stems from the color mismatching of bodies; they do, however, make some unique sculpts, so I understand your frustration. It’s always seemed odd to me that their female sculpts never seem to come with a neck, but all the male sculpts do.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Troops From the North  C8485110

10My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I fixed the formatting for the first three posts - Mark, please check your work, that was a lot of links.

Anyway, they all came out pretty great, although I think the sniper at the end came out best.

11My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Chip

GubernatorFan wrote:I fixed the formatting for the first three posts - Mark, please check your work, that was a lot of links.

Anyway, they all came out pretty great, although I think the sniper at the end came out best.

My apologies Ian , No idea what the problem was , as I don`t believe I posted these any different to how I normally do , and seemed to work for some , including me , and not others . If it all looks good to me , how am I to foresee a problem ?

12My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 pm

Talon65

Great gigs Chip!

And thanks again for the effort Gube!

13My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
No problem, happy to help, just tired and grumpy. I'm not sure why it seems to have only affected the first three posts -- and the one in the other thread. If you use the insert image button above, or if you type (no spaces) [ img ] and [ / img ] before and after the actual link, it should post fine. The code included all sorts of other stuff, both before and after, although the actual link could be found between a set of double quotation marks. Why they posted fine for some but not others, I don't know, and I didn't realize till later. I thought maybe Mac vs PC (I know Stryker uses Mac -- if I recall), or maybe a difference in browsers, now that I think of it.

14My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:29 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
Stunning selection of troopers Chip! so much detail to look at and admire!

15My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 am

Illusion

Illusion
I like the diversification and the many individual details on them. Gives them their unique personality.

16My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:33 pm

Chip

Illusion wrote:I like the diversification and the many individual details on them. Gives them their unique personality.

So glad you noticed , quite hard to do when most of the kit is generally the same , thank you .

And thanks for the other kind comments peeps . Wink

17My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Fun fact, when I first read 'My troops from the north' I expected some kind of Fantasy Vikings, but once I read your name, their beards fell off and they all scattered into the woods, which turned into a jungle and their axes and shields turned into soviet guns. I wasn't disappointed.

Great info on the history, like their warrior diet and those rice tubes.

My favourite has to be the Kumik guy, real character face. I also think the wet looking hair works in this setting. What do you mean with the solid neck, was there no hole in it?

I like Kumik sculpts for making generic characters, as most celebrities/actors etc they make are not really recognisable as themselves.
But there are male Kumik heads without necks too. And I think female headsculpts don't have necks in general as a neckless female body is very uncommon (I actually don't know any).

The sniper is another beautiful figure and I also like the flocked hair guy, very unique looking. How did you do it?

18My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Chip

Thanks Ovy , glad you were not disappointed . Very Happy

No the neck was solid , I had to convert an old BBi neck post which was solid too and just superglued them together , after a bit of shortening of the Sculpts neck .

I used to collect Vintage Action Man / G.I joes , there were a few people offering a re-flock service , some got very adventurous , and offered longer flocks , which is what the chap above has had done .

Thanks for your kind comments . Very Happy

19My Troops From the North  Empty Re: My Troops From the North Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:12 am

PitViper

PitViper
What an amazing group of figures! Thanks for posting these pictures.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum