OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hellborn59

I will use this post to all sub projects rather than spreading them over several posts.

Current WIP.
1. Changeable face with movable eyes. Only thing remain is test with painted eyes.

2. Scalp. Still WIP. Trying different ways to add hair to it. Having some success so far not totally happy with the result. Still have some ideas to try. I also think that the hair itself is part of the problem. The hair is not as soft as hair on most of the head that I bought. So I suppose softer hair exist. If anyone knows where to get it please let me know.

3. Hand. Only one so far. Annoying to find that not all TB League figures has the same ball size on hands and feet so had to make different base model for them. When I add a hand, I pose a figure it in DAZ 3D, export, cut of hand and use Boolean in Zbrush to cut out my connector part from it.

4. Feet. Sculpted in Zbrush from base Zbrush model. As with hands there are are two ball sizes. So made two different cutters for Boolean cutting. Same Zbrush project is also used for combined feets and shoes.

5. Shoes. Sculpted a foot that shaped as TB League foot as reference  and model shoes around it.

6. None beach friendly parts.  Nipples and genitals sculpted with silicone glue. First I used cheap silicon but parts could tear of at times. Talked to a person working with movie prostetic and was recommended Wacker Elastosil A07. Expensive but I have not tried it much so don't want to do an evaluation at this time. There is also an option of using a Silicone Primer to get silicon to stick better but that I will only try if the Wacker fails.

Not all girls are created equal so I'm also experimenting with possibility to make a female body trans. I have cut a small pocket under the skin and placed a 3x1mm neo magnet there. That makes it possible to add an exchangeable male genitalia to the body.

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030611

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks very promising already. When it comes to the neck hole, the disparity in neck peg sizes can be easily accommodated by avoiding an internal neck connector altogether and stuffing the neck opening with foamies (which has other advantages). But I'm not sure how well this would work for hands and feet -- you might want to create several different versions of each, with different-sized openings fitting different bodies. As for hair, there is a natural very fine and realistic solution out there, which I've used in my head conversion threads -- like the one below, with additional links and information.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2126-converting-arnold-schwarzenegger-kp-conan-head

Apart from painting nipples, I don't really see why you would need to modify the "non-beach-friendly" parts, except maybe to ensure a better attachment.

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:Looks very promising already. When it comes to the neck hole, the disparity in neck peg sizes can be easily accommodated by avoiding an internal neck connector altogether and stuffing the neck opening with foamies (which has other advantages). But I'm not sure how well this would work for hands and feet -- you might want to create several different versions of each, with different-sized openings fitting different bodies. As for hair, there is a natural very fine and realistic solution out there, which I've used in my head conversion threads -- like the one below, with additional links and information.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2126-converting-arnold-schwarzenegger-kp-conan-head

Apart from painting nipples, I don't really see why you would need to modify the "non-beach-friendly" parts, except maybe to ensure a better attachment.

Neck hole has a plug that I can make in different size if I need.
Projects for hands and feet has been set up with cutters for different sizes already.
It's not just the connector part that varies, also the size of hands and feet differ.
No big problem to adjust as I have my base project. Just takes a little time and some trail and error to get the fit right for god friction.

Thank you for the link.
I looked at the tutorial but I cant find Tibetan Lamb Fur locally. So far I only found US seller and cost might be high because of the shipping cost and take time to get. I do however have a piece of lamb skin somewhere. Not as long as the Tibetan kind but could work for shorter length hair. If that hair seems to work for me I will consider to try out that Tibetan kind as well.

And the reason to why to modify the private parts, well, because I can.
Really, just trying to make the doll look more realistic or stylized as it would have looked if I had made it myself.
To me, buying the body is a compromise.
If I could find the parts needed for a god skeleton and the right silicone I would try to make the doll myself so I get full control over the shape of the doll.

I bought some Jiaou dolls as well but did not like the colors at all, so maybe I rip out the skeletons from one of them and give it a try some day.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I know of a couple rerooting services, but one of the places where I used to get doll wigs (size 4 for 1/6) is going out of business sadly. I don’t know if a rooting service would help you, or not, but I thought I’d mention it.

Here’s a couple services (I’ve used the one in the first link and she’s good and relatively fast)

http://www.tsubasahome.com/rootingservice.htm

https://mylittlecustoms.wordpress.com/about/re-root-service/

(I’ve never seen, or heard, of the second one).

I like what you’ve done so far, and the idea of removable face plates is awesome — like stop-motion animation awesome. Now all you need is around 20 or so of the same face with different expressions and you could make your own movies (no pressure  Wink )

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP C8485110

Hellborn59

Stryker2011 wrote:I know of a couple rerooting services, but one of the places where I used to get doll wigs (size 4 for 1/6) is going out of business sadly. I don’t know if a rooting service would help you, or not, but I thought I’d mention it.

Here’s a couple services (I’ve used the one in the first link and she’s good and relatively fast)

http://www.tsubasahome.com/rootingservice.htm

https://mylittlecustoms.wordpress.com/about/re-root-service/

(I’ve never seen, or heard, of the second one).

I like what you’ve done so far, and the idea of removable face plates is awesome — like stop-motion animation awesome. Now all you need is around 20 or so of the same face with different expressions and you could make your own movies (no pressure  Wink )

Thanks for the links.
Might be of use. Smile

blackpool

blackpool
that's very cool, I'd be happy to order some of these whenever you're ready!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just wanted to add, careful ripping out the Jiaou skeleton. I'm not sure how much of one there is, although I suppose they would be even more unstable if there wasn't one. At any rate, only the joints are metal, the rest is (I think) still plastic. If you have a badly damaged TBLeague that is effectively beyond repair and you can sacrifice, you might want to experiment on that.

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:Just wanted to add, careful ripping out the Jiaou skeleton. I'm not sure how much of one there is, although I suppose they would be even more unstable if there wasn't one. At any rate, only the joints are metal, the rest is (I think) still plastic. If you have a badly damaged TBLeague that is effectively beyond repair and you can sacrifice, you might want to experiment on that.

My S28 is a month old not, much posed but already have bad left arm.
Just bad luck I guess.

But, being the only S28 I have will probably save her life as a need her as reference.

On the other hand, ripping out the skeleton could work as a warning for the other dolls to behave an take good care of them self. Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hellborn59 wrote:My S28 is a month old not, much posed but already have bad left arm.
Just bad luck I guess.

But, being the only S28 I have will probably save her life as a need her as reference.

On the other hand, ripping out the skeleton could work as a warning for the other dolls to behave an take good care of them self. Wink

Normally I'm all for making an example of a troublemaker, but I'm afraid our action figures have too little in the way of brains to learn. Especially the headless base bodies. Wink

Bad arm -- how so? Elbow or wrist? Either way, a bummer. The male M31 body has (in my experience) the utterly annoying habit of losing its grip on its (especially) left wrist peg -- it can be theoretically repaired, but in reality it is a lost cause and never works right again. It might have been just the batch from which I got my bodies, but, alongside other shortcomings, I have written off this model. In my wrath I used one for an anatomy lesson and emancipated the stainless steel skeleton from the rubbery flesh. You can see it in the TBLeague catalog thread.

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:
Hellborn59 wrote:My S28 is a month old not, much posed but already have bad left arm.
Just bad luck I guess.

Normally I'm all for making an example of a troublemaker, but I'm afraid our action figures have too little in the way of brains to learn. Especially the headless base bodies. Wink

Bad arm -- how so? Elbow or wrist? Either way, a bummer. The male M31 body has (in my experience) the utterly annoying habit of losing its grip on its (especially) left wrist peg -- it can be theoretically repaired, but in reality it is a lost cause and never works right again. It might have been just the batch from which I got my bodies, but, alongside other shortcomings, I have written off this model. In my wrath I used one for an anatomy lesson and emancipated the stainless steel skeleton from the rubbery flesh. You can see it in the TBLeague catalog thread.

It's the upper arm joint that's too loose compared to the amount of rubber depressed in the shoulder when elbow is pressed against the body.

Hellborn59

Well found a lamb skin that I robbed for a little hair.
As there was room for it I did not remove the hair from the skin but rather glued the skin with hair onto head.
I do however think that this makes up for a less dense wig compared to cutting of the hair and pack it more.
Will have to try that as well.

I now also received some nylon hair from UK today.
Very thin and soft compared to the one I got from China (blue hair that can be seen in previous posted picture).
Only drawback I see with this hair is that nylon is a bit to glossy and plastic looking for most hairstyles.

Probably works best if model is supposed to look like wearing a wig.

Have another shipment on it's way from China.
Don't know yet if it's the same as I already have or a different quality.
It was named the same but price was double so I have to see.

Hair from UK is from TheDollHairEmporium on ETSY.
They also have hair called Saran Doll Hair that is less glossy.
Will probably order some samples of that and try out as well.

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030612
Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030613

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
So that's the lamb skin and hair? Looks promising, but you'll only know after you wet it and let it dry in a more normal shape. It also helps when the hair is a more typical color, although that would depend on your needs and tastes.

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:So that's the lamb skin and hair? Looks promising, but you'll only know after you wet it and let it dry in a more normal shape. It also helps when the hair is a more typical color, although that would depend on your needs and tastes.

White was what I had quick and easy access to.
Think I paid about $40 for a full lambskin at IKEA.
It will work to figure out if wool works for me and will be enough for a lifetime.
And if not it's still usable as it is.
I tried wool from yarn before but but the hair got to messy, more like troll or witch hair.
Not at all like well cared hair.
But the wool from the yarn was very wavy for obvious reason woven into a yarn as it was.
So main thing to test now is if I can make it look well cared and get some shine to it.
And, as the hair is white I also expect to be able to color it using either hair or textile color without problem.
I actually color my own hair dark brown (my wife ordered me to so best to obey) and it's time to do it again any day so will use the excess color to test om the lamb hair.

Hellborn59

blackpool wrote:that's very cool, I'd be happy to order some of these whenever you're ready!

What parts are of interest for you.

You have to understand everything is experimental.

Say, a feet.
It might work straight from the printer but if part gets older it might get brittle or tension over time might make ball lose in fit.

Only time can tell and I have hardly had time to test them myself so far.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wives come in handy! (What is your natural hair color, if I may ask?) It would be interesting to know how the hair dye works on the lamb hair. Being natural fiber, I expect it to work. Yes, this kind of material is not typically going to be shiny, which is generally fine by me, as too much shine would make it look artificial or perhaps overly-styled. If you want it to be shiny, you probably have to treat it with whatever haircare product is designed for that.

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:Wives come in handy! (What is your natural hair color, if I may ask?) It would be interesting to know how the hair dye works on the lamb hair. Being natural fiber, I expect it to work. Yes, this kind of material is not typically going to be shiny, which is generally fine by me, as too much shine would make it look artificial or perhaps overly-styled. If you want it to be shiny, you probably have to treat it with whatever haircare product is designed for that.

My natural hair color has been grey for the last 15 years or so Wink

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Project,Hellborn and welcome to the forum. I really want to see more !

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm all for restoring the old normal as opposed the new normal. Smile

Hellborn59

GubernatorFan wrote:Wives come in handy! (What is your natural hair color, if I may ask?) It would be interesting to know how the hair dye works on the lamb hair. Being natural fiber, I expect it to work. Yes, this kind of material is not typically going to be shiny, which is generally fine by me, as too much shine would make it look artificial or perhaps overly-styled. If you want it to be shiny, you probably have to treat it with whatever haircare product is designed for that.

Tried all products wife had Wink

Could still not get hair under control.

It does not work at all, that troll style.
Knowing that the girls heads are quite empty.
They sure can't run around and look like Einstein. Wink

Think I need something like Hair Wax to get that hair under control.
Will try it if I happens to run into something inexpensive.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't know whether it will give you shine, but I find that some two-in-one shampoo and conditioner mixed with water will get the natural hair under control. But if you use too much of the shampoo+conditioner, the result will look too wet and clumpy. One has to try a balance, like so many other things, I suppose.

Hellborn59

Wife did manage to get hair under some control.
Best result was from a Anti Frizz product.

I have still to try wax or Mousse and will do when I run into some.

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030614

Experimented with an 'inversed' way of adding hair by first adding hair and then building up the scalp with Aves Epoyx Clay between the hair sections.

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030616
Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030615

Hellborn59

Hair need some styling but came out quite ok with god coverage.

Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030617
Head, hair, hand, feet, shoes and other accessories WIP P1030618

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting, impressive results. You are a visionary.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum