OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The leader of the Evil Horde, and former master of Skeletor, Hordak is one of Eternia’s most infamous adversaries. Betrayed by his former pupil, Skeletor, Hordak was locked away in a different dimension only to soon escape and plot his revenge on Skeletor and all of Eternia. Returning with his army called the Evil Horde, Hordak vowed to destroy Skeletor and take down He-Man and Castle Grayskull in the process!

After many years, Hordak has finally arrived in Mondo’s Masters of the Universe 1:6 Scale figure line. Featuring an awesome updated looked to his amor and weapons, this figure is covered in rich detail. Hordak also comes with a removable cape, staff, crossbow and 4 pairs of swappable hands.

NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 18934210
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 18962010
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 18982410
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 18992510
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 18998010
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19038910
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19101911
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19119910
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19173910
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19239410
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak 19264310
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Gimo-m10
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Gimo-m11
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Gimo-m13
NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Gimo-m12

#newproduct #Mondo #MastersoftheUniverse #Hordak #cartoonseries #male #villain

davidd

davidd
I wish I had enough self-confidence to stride around menacingly wearing armor featuring a logo of myself on it! How glorious the life of a megalomaniac must be!

Very cool pics, with excellent lighting and backgrounds. It will be challenging for the figure to match the expectations set by the product photography.

Looks like the pre-order list price is $230 USD (although some retailers are already asking higher prices) with an estimated shipping date of September 2021.

brassco

brassco
frankly speaking, this looks like a toy...

I can't even remotely remember this series, although i think i have watched it when i was young. So why now??

JohnByng

I agree. Far too expensive for a figure that lacks a seamless body and for all that rubber and plastic.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm with you guys. I realize that this is reproducing a cartoon character, but I find it difficult to be drawn to something quite so toy-like. And I'm not a big fan of Mondo's line. For sixth scale they should be able to do better and at a substantially lower price, Creature from the Black Lagoon possibly excepted.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I wish I had enough self-confidence to stride around menacingly wearing armor featuring a logo of myself on it! How glorious the life of a megalomaniac must be!

Laughing

I agree it looks very toylike, which makes sense given the source material, but I think the body has potential. Fantasy skintones are always in short supply after all!

davidd

davidd
brassco wrote:
I can't even remotely remember this series, although i think i have watched it when i was young. So why now??

Yeah, the original series ran from 1983-1985; kind of a while ago, now!

I wonder if a Masters of the Universe relaunch or reboot is in the works? My high school age niece was telling me that there has been a new animated version of She-Ra, Princess of Power recently that became quite popular as it took a more serious approach to the subject material. She-Ra was a spin-off from Masters of the Universe.

Oh... and here it is: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10826054/

A new animated series scheduled to premier in July 2021! By the Power of Greyskull: I HAVE THE POWER! cheers

doodlehobby

I really wanted to get this to match Mattel's 12" She-Ra set. But at the price they are asking for it? Forget it. The previous first wave of MOTU figures were ~$160USD when first released and with way more accessories. This one at far fewer accessories and at Hot Toys pricing? Yeah, definitely not happening. After having the Mondo Iron Giant, I really can't justify what this product is going to feel like in hand. The Iron Giant was already pushing it for me and it doesn't feel solid in some areas and it was a little disappointing to me. It's okay, but not great. Despite the Sentinel Iron Giant being half the size and about the same costs, it's solid and more fun to handle. Better built and sturdy.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
well i guess the main reason motu gets remade every couple years is that the original fanbase is now in their 40s with an expendable income. i know....i am their target audience Wink
when masters of the universe classics was released in 2008 i missed the boat by a couple years.
and joining late to the party, the retail prive almost tripled here in germany on the second hand market.
those being 1/12 scale figures mind you.

but here's the thing, even if the recent 1/6 scale figures look well done, they don't carry the same sentimental value as did the original toys. their art style while similar lacks the 80s vibe i'm holding dearl even to this day. that stuff is literally my childhood.

secondly the size of the figures and the price range makes collecting the "essentials" and giving them proper backdrops impossible for my wallet and my house.
super7 is doing a 1/12 snake mountain "playset" at around 1000,- + € and while massive it "only" reproduces the look of the 80s toyline. upscale it by 2 and add some details and a room would easily be filled by just it.

then there is castle grayskull, the fright zone etc plus vehicles, all in all i guess another mortgage wouldn't suffice Wink

so in short motu for me lives from it's sheer size of figures vehicles and playsets, not a single or handful of "main characters".
i'm glad there's options for people who like motu but not the 1/12 scale and on the upside 1/6 allows for far more details on the figure itself and the accessories.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Gotta say, I was a bit surprised by some of the early negative or unimpressed responses above -- the MOTU style and license hardly need to justify themselves, we're talking about one of the top 5 Licences in the whole toy/collector world probably behind SW, Marvel and DC, maybe tied with Transformers, ahead of TMNT).  Even now retail stores have about a half dozen MOTU product lines, even before anything about the reboots has started to increase the demand. But, I can see how the figure in this particular style might not resonate for anyone who doesn't bring a pre-existing emotional response to it.

Personally I'm not really in the MOTU-fan target market here (though I've got friends who take MOTU more seriously than SW or DC/Marvel), but I did get the Mondo Skeletor first in this series, and I thought it was an absolutely terrific figure.

People would be even more put off, I guess, if they saw the deliberately super-primitive alternate heads that Mondo included with some of their previous figures in this MOTU Line which is now about 7 or 8 figures in.  This actual style choice for Hordak is middle of the road.  In fairness they could have included some design that was more detailed like the Tweeterhead statue below, and I would have been more likely to buy it.

The price issue is something else again -- this is the third example I have noticed where figures in a same series have way significantly increased from their own parallels in an earlier wave that was as recent as 2019 or 2020.  Must be due to all the disruptions of the past year.

NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Tweete10

JohnByng

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Gotta say, I was a bit surprised by some of the early negative or unimpressed responses above -- the MOTU style and license hardly need to justify themselves, we're talking about one of the top 5 Licences in the whole toy/collector world probably behind SW, Marvel and DC, maybe tied with Transformers, ahead of TMNT).  Even now retail stores have about a half dozen MOTU product lines, even before anything about the reboots has started to increase the demand. But, I can see how the figure in this particular style might not resonate for anyone who doesn't bring a pre-existing emotional response to it.

Personally I'm not really in the MOTU-fan target market here (though I've got friends who take MOTU more seriously than SW or DC/Marvel), but I did get the Mondo Skeletor first in this series, and I thought it was an absolutely terrific figure.

People would be even more put off, I guess, if they saw the deliberately super-primitive alternate heads that Mondo included with some of their previous figures in this MOTU Line which is now about 7 or 8 figures in.  This actual style choice for Hordak is middle of the road.  In fairness they could have included some design that was more detailed like the Tweeterhead statue below, and I would have been more likely to buy it.

The price issue is something else again -- this is the third example I have noticed where figures in a same series have way significantly increased from their own parallels in an earlier wave that was as recent as 2019 or 2020.  Must be due to all the disruptions of the past year.

NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak Tweete10

I get what you are saying. I was never a fan of the slightly tame storylines of MOTU. That is the nature of TV and it can't be avoided I suppose but I wanted more blood and danger! Therefore I watched it more for the appealing style of the various characters. I must say I am a big fan of Skeletor. He was so nasty and really scary looking.

My criticism of this figure is not that it isn't good enough. It looks reasonable and it would be great to own it, but to me it is $80 worth of rubber and plastic fun, maybe $100 if I really wanted it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
JohnByng wrote:I get what you are saying. I was never a fan of the slightly tame storylines of MOTU. That is the nature of TV and it can't be avoided I suppose but I wanted more blood and danger! Therefore I watched it more for the appealing style of the various characters. I must say I am a big fan of Skeletor. He was so nasty and really scary looking.

My criticism of this figure is not that it isn't good enough. It looks reasonable and it would be great to own it, but to me it is $80 worth of rubber and plastic fun, maybe $100 if I really wanted it.

I agree. I also liked the look of the MOTU cartoons more than many others, but I suppose I'm not personally that interested in cartoon-like renditions in sixth scale, which is a question of personal taste. (And I am actually more familiar with the live action interpretation in the Dolph Lundgren movie.) That said, replicating the subject matter in a relatively cartoonish style (which is admittedly appropriate for the source), ought to have made matters simpler enough to allow a reasonable quality product at a far lower price. Of course, companies can keep charging whatever they like, and it is up to the individual consumer to decide if it is worth it for them. In reference to lines that are in theory more toys than collectibles (though the lines are blurred) and in a different scale, Michael French of Retroblasting has some interesting -- and scathing -- observations about the viability (never mind ethics) of the preorders-exclusives-overpriced-undersupplied-poorly-distributed model. If anyone is interested, his (I think justifiable) rants include these two I happened upon recently, although be warned that some collectors are apparently quite upset and defensive (or is it aggressive) about the things he points out, as seen in the third video:

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
masters of the universe had a tad bit darker tone when the first figures were released and the only source material accompanying it were the alcala drawn mini comics. it was based on a caveman like he-man and had a very unique art style between sci-fi and medieval weaponry.
when they added the prince adam twist and gringer as battlecat's cowardly counterparts, the series lost quite a lot of its flair, albeit as a small kid i didn't mind that much as long as i had background material to fill my daily adventures.

sure, quality varied widely between the mini comics, the worst offender would in my book the one that came with leech, while some about the snake men tried to regain that grittier look of the early days, slave girls and all.

the filmation series almost ran in a motu inspired parallel universe for me, but that was a tv series literally made for kids, not that the figures weren't toys mind you but those alcala comics still fascinate me as an adult.
plus if you kill off a character you can't just revive him in a later episode, with the whole purpose of the tv series being a 30 something minute commercial for their toys Wink

still in the 1/6 scale i don't see me collecting just a hordak when theres no mantenna, grizzlor and the rest of the evil horde to go along. same goes for the snake men and skeletors gang.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I honestly don't have an issue with how this looks, as a toy, but as said -- way overpriced for something that does indeed look like "a toy". I never had a vested interest in the source, since for many years prior, cartoons stopped being about fun and entertainment, and become nothing more than 20-30 minute toy commercials, and were mostly poorly written with absolute crap animation.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: Mondo: 1/6 scale Masters of the Universe: Hordak C8485110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum