OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Recently I stumbled across the Toysheadquarters Vol.003 "Fighter" set on eBay. I could see it was fairly minimal and that the headsculpt had at best a distant resemblance to Brad Pitt in his role as Tyler Durden in Fight Club, but I liked it and, after assurances that it was in stock, bought one. It arrived surprisingly fast, and I just tried it out on a body... well, three bodies, as issues kept coming up.

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0110

The set includes the head sculpt, jeans, shoes, a black tank top, and the red leather jacket, all in black foam inside a black box with a shiny black lid labeled only Toysheadquarters Vol.003. You can see it in some of the photos.

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0210

You have to supply your own body. Of course I first tried to use a TBLeague M33 body, and of course the jeans were too tight, so I had to give up. Then I tried to use an older type DAM body with seamless muscle sleeves on the arms (since one should be able to display the figure in the tank top). That worked fine, until I tried to get the red jacket on... it was hard going, the jacket creased, and the apparently extra delicate artificial leather-like treatment on top of the fabric began to damage and flake. So I had to give up on this too, although you see it in the photos with the black tank top and no jacket.

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0310

I substituted another older type DAM body, identical to the previous one, except that it had normal hard plastic arms. This finally worked just fine with everything. The same would be true for ZC, World Box, and Hot Toys bodies of that type, among others, as long as there isn't excessive musculature or much seamless material.

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0410

The shoes, like others of their type, are made of annoyingly hard plastic, which requires a thorough heating up and temporary softening with a hair dryer before trying to get on or off the feet. They are otherwise nicely made. Perhaps I'm not familiar with industry practice, but it seemed odd to me that the logo is on inside side of each shoe. Here is this Tyler Durden with the Blitzway Tyler Durden from a few years ago, 2016, if I recall:

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0510

The head itself (and the tank top, probably) works well with the TBLeague M33 body. Here it is on that, clothed in the robe which came with the Blitzway two-pack (I love the coat hanger!).

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0610

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0710

As expected, the head sculpt does not bear a very strong resemblance to Brad Pitt and is not given an extremely fine paint job. Nevertheless, it seems quite well made, and I like it for a random character.

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0810

The head sculpt is quite dark, darker and warmer in color than the TBLeague male suntan -- especially when that is covered in protective powder, as you can see here:

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review Thqf0910

I suppose one gets what one pays for. These sets retail for about $60 (USD) on eBay (perhaps they started out less expensive elsewhere), and if you add the cost of a body, that means a total of about $80-160, depending on the body you use (since these can range from about $20 to $80). That is a lot less than most high end sets these days, but then again, there are no accessories, and at least one item, the red jacket, is very fragile. While I could and should have been more cautious with it, ultimately this damage would have happened even with careful or casual handling far less stressful than trying to pull up the sleeves over the muscles of an M33. And that is disappointing. The remainder of the set is reasonably good, and every piece can be used for something.

I hope this is of some use. As always, what do you think?

For my old review of the Blitzway two-pack, see here:
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-090617c.htm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow. What a difference between the two sculpts. The clothing is pretty nice — not wild about the head and the typical generic hands (never understood why companies go out of their way to make a specific character, and then end up using the same old fists, relaxed, gripping, and gun finger hands that come with everything, instead of making hands that are specific to the character).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Budget Fight Club Tyler Durden? Toysheadquarters Vol.003 Fighter Review C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow. What a difference between the two sculpts. The clothing is pretty nice — not wild about the head and the typical generic hands (never understood why companies go out of their way to make a specific character, and then end up using the same old fists, relaxed, gripping, and gun finger hands that come with everything, instead of making hands that are specific to the character).

Thank you for commenting. Yes, I thought the clothing looked nice, which is why I ordered it. The red jacket is less glossy and leatherlike than advertised, and disappointingly fragile. Otherwise the clothing is good. Agree the sculpts are very different, and this set's is not very accurate -- that's why I liked it for some generic non-Tyler Durden character. I think you may have overlooked some details -- the set does not include a body -- I tried it out on a couple of loose parted out DAM bodies and on an M33.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum