OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby Blue Mando

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baby Blue Mando Empty Baby Blue Mando Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm

Ovy

Ovy
I got four Mandos some years ago (end 2018) as 1/12 Bandai Boba Fett Kits, and repainted them into custom Mandalorian characters. That was before "The Mandalorian" Series was announced of course. Soon after that I lost interest in them as they looked so similar to each other, compared to all these new cool high budget more functional character designs from the show. There was a 1/12 Bandai "The Mandalorian" kit later but I missed out on that unfortunately, it's now over 60€ while these Bobas here were under 30€ each. Well maybe it did always cost that much, quite the popular character. I somehow never really posted them, finished their stories or made the last paint uptouching.

But after 2 1/2 Mando seasons and some years passed, Hasbro made quite some Mandalorian Black Series Toys for kids aged 4+, which I am. So recently I got some black series Mandalorian side characters which I want to paint to turn them into custom characters, mix them with these four. They might freshen up this old troop a bit with more interesting looks. Maybe I will also add new armor/accesoires to the Bandai ones for more diversity. I have Worbla and a 3d printer now for what it's worth.

First I will show only the Bandais. I weathered them knowingly with room dust over the years, so I could take photos of them now. That's why I waited so long to post them.

Here a nice mash up of different musical Mandalorian and Boba themes for the mood.

They are a band of mercenaries who have known each other since birth. There might be different opinions on different political systems and movements, but when they accept a job, they will go through with it till it's done. They all have names and backstories but nothing refined yet.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-211847

To be honest, I like writing stories and character backgrounds, but the Mandalorian storylines from all the TV shows left me a bit confused. My interest and knowledge still stems from old forgotten books and games from BACK IN THE DAY that were retconned, so I still have to sort out what is going on actually. So we will concentrate more on the technical aspects first, haha.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-213349

I also still have four little 1/12 headsculpts I have to distribute among them (Chris Evans, Will Smith, Michael B Jordan and some bearded Mohawk dude) Still have some old WIP photos I need to find for the next post.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-213105

I think he could be the leader, I haven't decided yet. The fabric cape I added hasn't aged that well either. I like silver scratches on black paint.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-120406

Or maybe one of the new Hasbro figures will take his part.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-193358

This one is so fancy I made him a little plastic card sword. Maybe I will give him the Michael B Jordan head, as I also have that 1/6 fantasy bronze armor warrior with that actor's head.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-193857

This bronze armor is always shiny and never weathered somehow.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-194053

I dissasembled them for priming and painting, then reassembled them. I swapped yellow and red for fun and left it that way as I liked it.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-194530

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-194756

These two have a special connection, that's why they share they swapped armor parts. Don't know yet, maybe father and son, brother and brother, husband and husband, uncle and nephew, who knows. But not twins.
Pistols are printed.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-195332

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-200944

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-200327

2Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:25 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah, I see how that 4+ years old notion ties in here too. Smile The little band of Mandos is excellent. They may have identical armor, but the different colors, metals, weathering, etc., helps make them look distinct and somewhat makeshift, while also ensuring a certain underlying continuity between the bunch. Beautiful work, and beautifully presented. Looking forward to your new additions among these ranks.

3Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:58 am

Diana

Diana
Oh wow! I love your Mandalorians! I love teams with similar outfits. Hence my purchase of four Imperial Guardians. Very Happy

But I'll never look at Mandalorians the same way again and will always think of these shots from now. I see Mandalorians in my future. Smile

4Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:05 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
though im not a huge star wars fan per se, your repaints look awesome and very cleanly done. in terms of disassembling, was the kit like lose parts from the getgo or a figure ready to be put apart? i struggle to get some parts off neca figures, so any tips would be appreciated. so far even after boiling water and a hair dryer, certain joints would rather stretch and tear than give way.

5Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:53 am

Visisonor

Visisonor
Tjolnir, these kits come with all bits and pieces separate: there are several "sheets" of "spruce" and you need to cut out the parts following (or not) the step by step manual.
Review on Fwoosh.

Ovy, what a great looking squad! They do indeed look like each has an individual preferences and personalities and yet working in the same team.

As for more recent Bandai kits, there are two versions of The Mandalorian - the silver-coated version is more expensive, but there is also a grey one for around $37.
And they've recently announced another Boba Fett model kit from the TV series.

6Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:53 am

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Ah, I see how that 4+ years old notion ties in here too. Smile The little band of Mandos is excellent. They may have identical armor, but the different colors, metals, weathering, etc., helps make them look distinct and somewhat makeshift, while also ensuring a certain underlying continuity between the bunch.  Beautiful work, and beautifully presented. Looking forward to your new additions among these ranks.
Thanks so much and yes that's what is so beautiful about the original triology, those makeshift, almost post apocalyptic designs. and I think those grandma stockings will come in handy too.

Diana wrote:Oh wow! I love your Mandalorians! I love teams with similar outfits. Hence my purchase of four Imperial Guardians. Very Happy

But I'll never look at Mandalorians the same way again and will always think of these shots from now. I see Mandalorians in my future. Smile
Thanks a lot! Yes I remember your Guardian army! I think for me it started in kindergarten with those Power Rangers. Interesting to see what kind of Mandalorians might land in your place.

Tjolnir wrote:though im not a huge star wars fan per se, your repaints look awesome and very cleanly done. in terms of disassembling, was the kit like lose parts from the getgo or a figure ready to be put apart? i struggle to get some parts off neca figures, so  any tips would be appreciated. so far even after boiling water and a hair dryer, certain joints would rather stretch and tear than give way.
Thanks a lot. Yeah as Visisonor wrote, the figures were model kits like your regular planes and tanks, but multi colored so you could have a Boba without painting. As a kid I would have loved that convenient design. And I only have one Neca figure, feels like the sturdiest and un-dissassembly figure I own.

Baby Blue Mando 20180909-231035

Visisonor wrote:Tjolnir, these kits come with all bits and pieces separate: there are several "sheets" of "spruce" and you need to cut out the parts following (or not) the step by step manual.
Review on Fwoosh.

Ovy, what a great looking squad! They do indeed look like each has an individual preferences and personalities and yet working in the same team.

As for more recent Bandai kits, there are two versions of The Mandalorian - the silver-coated version is more expensive, but there is also a grey one for around $37.
And they've recently announced another Boba Fett model kit from the TV series.
Thanks! Yeah still trying to tweak their designs to give them more personality. And thanks for the info on the Bandai Kits. I have seen the silver coated one for 90+ and the grey one for 60+ yet, only.

I made a stormtrooper squad out of Bandai kits too, if you are interested:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1190-999th-imperial-penal-battalion-1-12-star-wars-update-6-17-kx-droid

Found some 2019 WIPs

Here the first one. The joints are sometimes elastic pvc/gum like parts that don't hold any primer or color for long.
Baby Blue Mando 20180912-185328

Baby Blue Mando 20180912-185334

Baby Blue Mando 20180912-185340

Baby Blue Mando 2

Here the other three, I cut them out all at once an seperated and sorted the parts to give them different coats of primer.
Baby Blue Mando IMG-20181231-144653

The least fun part was hiding the boba specific damages.
Baby Blue Mando IMG-20190101-181021

I primed two armors and one suit black, one armor and one suit red, two suits and one armor sand etc and then swapped the parts around.
Baby Blue Mando IMG-20190101-181546

Baby Blue Mando IMG-20190101-181603

This was the first uncolored Boba.
Baby Blue Mando 20180912-152527-2

Baby Blue Mando 20180912-152536-2

Baby Blue Mando 20180912-152656

Here fresh after assembley with base primer.
Baby Blue Mando IMG-20190101-230414

Painted but not weathered.
Baby Blue Mando 4

Some early head experiments.
Baby Blue Mando 1

I gave him a beard I want to paint grey, turning him into a mentor figure. No bad words about his family or he will rocketpunch you.
Baby Blue Mando 3

Found this old pic with all heads on display.
Baby Blue Mando 5

Baby Blue Mando 6

Any idea who that guy on the left might be? Ragnar?
Baby Blue Mando 7

7Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the additional look at your Mandalorians and Friends. Smile Simply putting these together must have taken so long, then customizing and painting them... wow. Even in the in-progress photos the figures are already fun and seemingly ready to take on the Galaxy. Great choice of heads. Yes, I can see why you would identify that one as Ragnar. Though he could be Bjorn. Smile

8Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:01 pm

Diana

Diana
Awesomeness!! Very Happy

9Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:47 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What a cool project, and a neat assortment of Mandos. Nicely done. The paint work is exceptional.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Baby Blue Mando C8485110

10Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:54 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Ah ok, thanks for the info. Seems like a pretty solid kit, makes me wonder why some companies struggle with functional joints when even a kit gets articulation right.

11Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:59 am

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for the additional look at your Mandalorians and Friends. Smile Simply putting these together must have taken so long, then customizing and painting them... wow. Even in the in-progress photos the figures are already fun and seemingly ready to take on the Galaxy. Great choice of heads. Yes, I can see why you would identify that one as Ragnar. Though he could be Bjorn. Smile
Thanks sir, and yes I think it took quite some time.
And no I won't name him Ragnar, but he is the only actor I don't recognize, I wonder who it might be.

Diana wrote:Awesomeness!! Very Happy
Thanks! Very Happy

Stryker2011 wrote:What a cool project, and a neat assortment of Mandos. Nicely done. The paint work is exceptional.
Thanks a lot, painting parts before assembly definitely helped to reduce accidential overpainting.

Tjolnir wrote:Ah ok, thanks for the info. Seems like a pretty solid kit, makes me wonder why some companies struggle with functional joints when even a kit gets articulation right.
Yeah you don't need glue and there are both stickers and transfer sheets. And I actually used some spare parts of these kits as joints for 1/6 hands.

Got a Black Series Heavy Mando for under 30, here in his regular paint job.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-143743

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-143905

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-144112

Here with first new paint but not that refined yet
Baby Blue Mando IMG-20220327-030937

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-143313

12Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Black Series Mando looks good. I'm loving your repaint, unfinished as it might be.

13Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:04 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Those are some darn cool looking Mandos, wicked work!

14Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:58 am

Visisonor

Visisonor
Ovy wrote:Mando Nr. 5
Oh, did you think of using Black Series Bo Katan or Koska Reeves as bases for custom female Mandalorians for your squad?
A little bit of Koska in the sun...

15Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:05 pm

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Black Series Mando looks good. I'm loving your repaint, unfinished as it might be.
Thanks a lot, I think he is finished now, atill have to take a photo though.

PickleMunkey wrote:Those are some darn cool looking Mandos, wicked work!
Thanks MrMunkey!

Visisonor wrote:
Ovy wrote:Mando Nr. 5
Oh, did you think of using Black Series Bo Katan or Koska Reeves as bases for custom female Mandalorians for your squad?
A little bit of Koska in the sun...
Ha, yeah I actually got a Koska Reeves and the Armorer. They cost twenty something each, while Bo Katan for some reason was much more expensive so I passed.

I actually re-painted the Reeves Figure already but didn't photograph her yet, here with the original paintjob and the crew.

I'm Blue dabndee.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-202354

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220330-212717

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-142404

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-142701

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-142848

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220403-143102

16Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:02 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Oh yes, she sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sure you'll make her fit in much better. Wink But the team is filling out, which is great.

17Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:29 am

Diana

Diana
She makes the team look more varied for sure, and not just because of the blue, which I'm sure you'll fix, but because of the difference in size mainly. VERY nice! Looking forward to the updates! Very Happy

Oh and I'm loving the song references. Laughing

18Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:47 pm

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Oh yes, she sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sure you'll make her fit in much better. Wink But the team is filling out, which is great.
Thanks, yeah it's quite the contrast to my more toned down approach.

Diana wrote:She makes the team look more varied for sure, and not just because of the blue, which I'm sure you'll fix, but because of the difference in size mainly. VERY nice! Looking forward to the updates! Very Happy

Oh and I'm loving the song references. Laughing
Thanks a lot!  Yes the size difference makes it much more organic between those Fett Clones.

The good thing with these Mandos, I can paint them in whichever paint scheme I like to.

There's No Limit
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-010834

I painted some lineart on PC and decided for some blueish gray with either orange or red accents. Orange might have looked nice too but decisions must be made.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-011226

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-011604

That red symbol thing on the helmet is somewhat inconsequential. And I think Mandos paint less and would use more stencils.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-011821

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-012041

Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-012327

Mando is a Dancer. You can blast it everywhere.
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-012706

Jeez the paint is chipping already. Should consult Mr Superclear
Baby Blue Mando PSX-20220407-013114

19Baby Blue Mando Empty Re: Baby Blue Mando Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:16 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Already much better. Your paint application gives it a certain realistic, worn, grimey consistency that makes it both more believable and more compatible with the others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum